Easter ? What are we celebrating?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That refers to the Jewish restriction what kinds of animals you can consume. Not on whether it should be cooked or not, a medical issue.
I'm not going to argue with you if that's what you want...the scripture there speaks for itself.

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
From Easter - Wikipedia

Therefore in translating the word pascha into Easter, the translators of the kjv were not mistaken.

They were totally wrong and totally bowing to Catholic doctrine.

Passover in no way resembles Easter.

Strong's Number: 3957 Browse Lexicon
Original Word
Word Origin
pavsca of Aramaic origin cf (06453)
Transliterated Word TDNT Entry
Pascha 5:896,797
Phonetic Spelling Parts of Speech
pas'-khah Noun Neuter
Definition
  1. the paschal sacrifice (which was accustomed to be offered for the people's deliverance of old from Egypt)
  2. the paschal lamb, i.e. the lamb the Israelites were accustomed to slay and eat on the fourteenth day of the month of Nisan (the first month of their year) in memory of the day on which their fathers, preparing to depart from Egypt, were bidden by God to slay and eat a lamb, and to sprinkle their door posts with its blood, that the destroying angel, seeing the blood, might pass over their dwellings; Christ crucified is likened to the slain paschal lamb
  3. the paschal supper
Easter
Dictionaries - Easton's Bible Dictionary - Easter
Easter
originally a Saxon word (Eostre), denoting a goddess of the Saxons, in honour of whom sacrifices were offered about the time of the Passover. Hence the name came to be given to the festival of the Resurrection of Christ, which occured at the time of the Passover. In the early English versions this word was frequently used as the translation of the Greek pascha (the Passover). When the Authorized Version (1611) was formed, the word "passover" was used in all passages in which this word pascha occurred, except in Act 12:4 . In the Revised Version the proper word, "passover," is always used.

Not a Greek word Except in Catholic And KJV only claims.

Orthodox agrees it does not mean Easter.

pascha - Wiktionary
pascha - Wiktionary
Etymology. From Ancient Greek πάσχα (páskha, "Passover"), from Aramaic פסחא‎ (paskha), from Hebrew פסח‎ (pésakh) .

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They were totally wrong and totally bowing to Catholic doctrine.

Passover in no way resembles Easter.

Strong's Number: 3957 Browse Lexicon
Original Word
Word Origin
pavsca of Aramaic origin cf (06453)
Transliterated Word TDNT Entry
Pascha 5:896,797
Phonetic Spelling Parts of Speech
pas'-khah Noun Neuter
Definition
  1. the paschal sacrifice (which was accustomed to be offered for the people's deliverance of old from Egypt)
  2. the paschal lamb, i.e. the lamb the Israelites were accustomed to slay and eat on the fourteenth day of the month of Nisan (the first month of their year) in memory of the day on which their fathers, preparing to depart from Egypt, were bidden by God to slay and eat a lamb, and to sprinkle their door posts with its blood, that the destroying angel, seeing the blood, might pass over their dwellings; Christ crucified is likened to the slain paschal lamb
  3. the paschal supper
Easter
Dictionaries - Easton's Bible Dictionary - Easter
Easter
originally a Saxon word (Eostre), denoting a goddess of the Saxons, in honour of whom sacrifices were offered about the time of the Passover. Hence the name came to be given to the festival of the Resurrection of Christ, which occured at the time of the Passover. In the early English versions this word was frequently used as the translation of the Greek pascha (the Passover). When the Authorized Version (1611) was formed, the word "passover" was used in all passages in which this word pascha occurred, except in Act 12:4 . In the Revised Version the proper word, "passover," is always used.

Not a Greek word Except in Catholic And KJV only claims.

Orthodox agrees it does not mean Easter.

pascha - Wiktionary
pascha - Wiktionary
Etymology. From Ancient Greek πάσχα (páskha, "Passover"), from Aramaic פסחא‎ (paskha), from Hebrew פסח‎ (pésakh) .
Easter is called pascha in Latin and in Greek...therefore translating pascha to Easter is not a bad translation.

Sorry, but as far as I'm concerned you have lost this argument.

Reactions: historyb

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You mean you agree with the KJV erroneous translation.
You can reject the kjv if you want...as far as I'm concerned you are one of the ones that was prophesied about in 2 Timothy 4:3...you have left the authorized version to heap for yourself teachers/translators to tell you what your itching ears want to hear.

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Easter is called pascha in Latin and in Greek...therefore translating pascha to Easter is not a bad translation.

Sorry, but as far as I'm concerned you have lost this argument.

Easter did not exist at the time of the writing.

The Bible was not written in Latin. That being the official language of the Catholic Church.

It does not matter how it is used today. It matters at the time of the writing and there was no such thing as Easter.

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You can reject the kjv if you want...as far as I'm concerned you are one of the ones that was prophesied about in 2 Timothy 4:3...you have left the authorized version to heap for yourself teachers/translators to tell you what your itching ears want to hear.

Go ahead and put your face in the Bible that did not exist until 1611. Deny there was a Bible prior to 1611.

That is your problem not mine.

Added to your denial of the Trinity.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Go ahead and put your face in the Bible that did not exist until 1611. Deny there was a Bible prior to 1611.

That is your problem not mine.

Added to your denial of the Trinity.
I do not deny either one of those things.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
From Easter Definition and Meaning - Bible Dictionary

The Jewish Christians in the early church continued to celebrate the Passover, regarding Christ as the true paschal lamb, and this naturally passed over into a commemoration of the death and resurrection of our Lord, or an Easter feast.

What's the big deal about translating it as Easter therefore? It is huge whoop-de-doo about nothing; simply because the devil and certain people who have been convicted by the King James Version, do hate the King James Version.

The statement quoted above is also strong evidence that Easter was celebrated by the disciples at the time that it was mentioned in Acts 12:4; as Passover continued into a celebration of Christ's resurrection, which happened the exact same time of year.

Reactions: historyb

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
WRONG, my ignorant, Biblically-bankrupt friend.

The Passover took place AFTER the first full moon AFTER the Vernal Equinox.
In other words, Einstein - it was SPRINGTIME. 6:00 is NOT night during this time of year.

WHY do you think the Greek word has TWO time definitions??
ONE for the shorter days of autumn and winter - and ONE for the longer days after the beginning of SPRING.

You have LOST this argument because you have failed to do your homework . . .

Thanks, you have said it all - everything necessary, everything correct, it was the time of the yearly 'vernal equinox' right around the world. Many thanks. "'6:00 is NOT night during this time of year.'" 6:00 is sunset starting night then day "the fifteenth day of the First Month", "since it was on the sabbath great day of sabbath" of the Passover of Yahweh Saviour Creator in the year of our Lord Jesus' death.