Easter

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you for your considerably impressive exegesis of the passage concerned.

Instead of waffling about all the research you have done, how about sharing some of the fruits of that research.
At the moment we only have you word that there were some fruits.
If the result is just a claim that "Easter is a pagan festival adopted by the church, altered and made it's own" but with nothing to support it, then it is just waffle.

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Instead of waffling about all the research you have done, how about sharing some of the fruits of that research.
At the moment we only have you word that there were some fruits.
If the result is just a claim that "Easter is a pagan festival adopted by the church, altered and made it's own" but with nothing to support it, then it is just waffle.

Thank you for your comprehensive exegesis of the passage concerned.

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
You said
"Easter is a pagan festival adopted by the church, altered and made it's own."

But you provide no evidence to support such a claim.

Although a holiday of high religious significance in the Christian faith, many traditions associated with Easter date back to pre-Christian, pagan times

Despite its significance as a Christian holy day, many of the traditions and symbols that play a key role in Easter observances actually have roots in pagan celebrations—particularly the pagan goddess Eostre—and in the Jewish holiday of Passover.

Easter Eggs
Irrespective of denomination, there are many Easter-time traditions with roots that can be traced to non-Christian and even pagan or non-religious celebrations. Many non-Christians choose to observe these traditions while essentially ignoring the religious aspects of the celebration.

Examples of non-religious Easter traditions include Easter eggs, and related games such as egg rolling and egg decorating.

Easter Bunny
In some households, a character known as the Easter Bunny delivers candy and chocolate eggs to children on Easter Sunday morning. These candies often arrive in an Easter basket.

Notably, several Protestant Christian denominations, including Lutherans and Quakers, have opted to formally abandon many Easter traditions, deeming them too pagan. However, many religious observers of Easter also include them in their celebrations.

Today, Easter is a commercial event as well as a religious holiday, marked by high sales for greeting cards, candies (such as Peeps, chocolate eggs and chocolate Easter bunnies) and other gifts.

Sources
McDougall, H. (2010). “The pagan roots of Easter.” TheGuardian.com.
Sifferlin, A. (2015). “What’s the origin of the Easter bunny?” Time.com.
Barooah, J. (2012). “Easter eggs: History, Origin, Symbolism and tradition.” Huffington Post.
Chapman, E. and Schreiber, S. (2018). “The history behind your favorite Easter traditions.” Goodhousekeeping.com.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Although a holiday of high religious significance in the Christian faith, many traditions associated with Easter date back to pre-Christian, pagan times

Despite its significance as a Christian holy day, many of the traditions and symbols that play a key role in Easter observances actually have roots in pagan celebrations—particularly the pagan goddess Eostre—and in the Jewish holiday of Passover.

Easter Eggs
Irrespective of denomination, there are many Easter-time traditions with roots that can be traced to non-Christian and even pagan or non-religious celebrations. Many non-Christians choose to observe these traditions while essentially ignoring the religious aspects of the celebration.

Examples of non-religious Easter traditions include Easter eggs, and related games such as egg rolling and egg decorating.

Easter Bunny
In some households, a character known as the Easter Bunny delivers candy and chocolate eggs to children on Easter Sunday morning. These candies often arrive in an Easter basket.

Notably, several Protestant Christian denominations, including Lutherans and Quakers, have opted to formally abandon many Easter traditions, deeming them too pagan. However, many religious observers of Easter also include them in their celebrations.

Today, Easter is a commercial event as well as a religious holiday, marked by high sales for greeting cards, candies (such as Peeps, chocolate eggs and chocolate Easter bunnies) and other gifts.

Sources
McDougall, H. (2010). “The pagan roots of Easter.” TheGuardian.com.
Sifferlin, A. (2015). “What’s the origin of the Easter bunny?” Time.com.
Barooah, J. (2012). “Easter eggs: History, Origin, Symbolism and tradition.” Huffington Post.
Chapman, E. and Schreiber, S. (2018). “The history behind your favorite Easter traditions.” Goodhousekeeping.com.

Is that the best you can do?
Your quotes are irrelevant to the religious celebrations of Easter.

I can only speak for Catholics but in the Catholic Church our services celebrate the Passion. Death and Resurrection of Jesus Christ; not a bunny or an egg in sight. This year we watched a livestream of the three major services of the Triduum -the three days of Holy Thursday, Good Friday and the vigil of Easter Sunday on Saturday evening.
Bunnies and Eggs have no place at all in our Easter celebrations and never have.

Your claim that "Easter is a pagan festival adopted by the church, altered and made it's own" is false.

Reactions: Philip James

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Is that the best you can do?
Your quotes are irrelevant to the religious celebrations of Easter.

I can only speak for Catholics but in the Catholic Church our services celebrate the Passion. Death and Resurrection of Jesus Christ; not a bunny or an egg in sight. This year we watched a livestream of the three major services of the Triduum -the three days of Holy Thursday, Good Friday and the vigil of Easter Sunday on Saturday evening.
Bunnies and Eggs have no place at all in our Easter celebrations and never have.

Your claim that "Easter is a pagan festival adopted by the church, altered and made it's own" is false.
I am very impressed with your scholarly appraisal of my work.

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
This means there was no Christian feast to celebrate the death of Jesus other than the Passover feast which was clearly mandated by Jesus before he died.

Ty for the answer.

Are you suggesting we only celebrate the feast of Jesus' death and ressurection once per year? or are you pointing out that all the Jewish feasts are fulfilled in Jesus, Who becomes our Paschal Lamb?

Peace!

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Ty for the answer.

Are you suggesting we only celebrate the feast of Jesus' death and ressurection once per year? or are you pointing out that all the Jewish feasts are fulfilled in Jesus, Who becomes our Paschal Lamb?

Peace!
NO. What I am saying is there is no mention in scripture of communion being held every week/day with a sip of wine and a piece of bread.

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
NO. What I am saying is there is no mention in scripture of communion being held every week/day with a sip of wine and a piece of bread.

Dear marksman,

They devoted themselves to the teaching of the apostles and to the communal life, to the breaking of the bread and to the prayers

You too! Are welcome to come to the wedding feast of the Lamb of God!

Peace be with you!

Christ IS risen!
Alleluia!

Reactions: Josho

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Dear marksman,

They devoted themselves to the teaching of the apostles and to the communal life, to the breaking of the bread and to the prayers

You too! Are welcome to come to the wedding feast of the Lamb of God!

Peace be with you!

Christ IS risen!
Alleluia!
I am sorry I am not with you. Breaking of Bread throughout the New Testament has nothing at all to do with a sip of wine and a piece of bread.

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I am sorry I am not with you.

As I am I, but i thonk that none who put their trust in Jesus will be disappointed!
Rejoice my brother, Christ is risen!

Breaking of Bread throughout the New Testament has nothing at all to do with a sip of wine and a piece of bread.

Breaking Bread has nothing to do with pieces of bread?

Hmmm.. I think I agree.. It has to do with sharing in the One loaf that Jesus broke and the One cup, that Jesus gave to the apostles at the Last Supper.
And so it is no ordinary 'piece of bread', but the very Bread of Life,
Jesus Christ, Himself.

Peace be with you!

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Happy Orthodox Easter, to anyone who's Orthodox Christian on this forum, Jesus has Risen, Hallelujah! :D

Reactions: Philip James