Easter

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Since I focused on the resurrection of Christ, your comments are meaningless. All that other nonsense can be ignored, and you too should focus on the resurrection of Christ, as should every Christian.

I do all the time as I prefer to not elevate something that originated in a pagan celebration.

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I wonder if those people who deride Easter as a pagan festival celebrate the resurrection of Jesus on another day. Or perhaps they don't celebrate it or honour it or mark it any other way.

Apart from the Passover meal which heralded in the New Covenant, the NT church did not celebrate Jesus' death and resurrection in any other way.

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Apart from the Passover meal which heralded in the New Covenant, the NT church did not celebrate Jesus' death and resurrection in any other way.

Wow. Um, the Church has always celebrated Jesus' death and resurrection.
That celebration has always been the very center of our community worship.
It is the fulfillment of Malachi 1:11 and has been recognized as such from the beginning..

Didache 14

1. On the Lord's Day of the Lord come together, break bread and hold Eucharist, after confessing your transgressions that your offering may be pure;
2. But let none who has a quarrel with his fellow join in your meeting until they be reconciled, that your sacrifice be not defiled.
3. For this is that which was spoken by the Lord, "In every place and time offer me a pure sacrifice, for I am a great king," saith the Lord, "and my name is wonderful among the heathen."

Peace be with you!

Reactions: Josho

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
You answered mu post without reading it. I never said that Easter is not about the death and resurrection of Jesus. I said Easter is a pagan festival adopted by the church.

It's not a pagan festival adopted by the Church

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
It is the fulfillment of Malachi 1:11 and has been recognized as such from the beginning..

Didache 14

1. On the Lord's Day of the Lord come together, break bread and hold Eucharist, after confessing your transgressions that your offering may be pure;
2. But let none who has a quarrel with his fellow join in your meeting until they be reconciled, that your sacrifice be not defiled.
3. For this is that which was spoken by the Lord, "In every place and time offer me a pure sacrifice, for I am a great king," saith the Lord, "and my name is wonderful among the heathen."

Peace be with you!

Yep, the centre point of Christianity that has been preached for nearly 2000 years, ever since Jesus was resurrected, it's because of what Jesus did on that cross, that any human may receive salvation, eternal life in Heaven and our sins may be forgiven, when we ask for His forgiveness and choose to believe in Him.

Hallelujah! God bless you, and God's peace be with you all.

Last edited:

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Just wanted to say even though with the restrictions, this has been one of the best Easters we have ever had together as a family, we have seen multiple services, and have managed to spend plenty of quality time with God.

Have seen services from a few different denominations, including a Catholic service from St Mary's Cathedral, which I got to say it was the most anointed Easter service we watched out of the lot. It's on the second page of this thread if anyone wants to check it out.

And I got to tell you all, God honours this stuff, He honours the body of Christ being thankful and remembering the significance of what Jesus did on the Cross of Calvary and celebrating the resurrection, no matter whether if you are Anglican, Baptist, Catholic, Pentecostal, Coptic, Presbyterian, Methodist or some other denomination, or a non-denominational Christian, He honours us celebrating and remembering these core events in our hearts and recognizing that He is the one true living God. We got to remember this is the basis of Christianity.

Resurrection Sunday is the most powerful celebration on the Christian calendar, even the world recognizes it as one of our most significant celebrations, it brings born again Christians together in unity into what we agree on! Jesus is Alive! :)

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Even if it once was a pagan festival

How do we know that?

A 10-year study of the New Testament Church that is ongoing. If I come across something I do not know I dive in to find out more.

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Didache 14

Peace be with you!

I never said they didn't.

I don't base my exegesis on what a specific church does.

I was doing an exegesis of 1 Corinthians 11. Not Malachi 1 v 11.

The Didache is an interpretation so it is no different to what I did.

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Well I watched part of 2 services today, Heritage of Faith Church in the Gold Coast and St Mary's Cathedral in Sydney. And Songs of Praise after.

Here was the service St Mary's Cathedral Sydney, it was broadcasted live on Channel 7. We haven't actually attended a service in there before, but we been inside the Cathedral and the presence of God is deep in that place, you can certainly feel the Holy Spirit in there. Anyway here was their Easter Sunday service, some wonderful singing and there was a strong anointing of the Holy Spirit there.

I can't help feeling that your experience at St Martin's is due in no small part that the diocese has come out firmly against same-sex marriage and has separated itself from mainline Anglicanism and formed a breakaway group with others around the world.

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Can you clear this up for me?

Peace!

I would have thought it was self-explanatory. However, I will do my best. Like most things that I say, it starts because someone challenges what I believe. When that happens I don't get all defensive and call them names. I go back to square one and look at it again for the simple reason if I am wrong I want to know.

When I was challenged about what I believed about communion, which was standard fare around the churches, so I couldn't be wrong could I if all the churches did it. But I chose to put that aside and really search for the truth. As a result, I came up with my Martin Luther 95 Thesis.

After an extensive 15 year study where I found stuff I had never seen before, mainly because I wasn't looking for it and did not need to see it as I was following the accepted line like everyone else, I did the only thing I could do and that was going back to the original scripture in the Greek. With the help of anointed scholars who had seen the light, I discovered what I believed was wrong.

As I delved again into 1 Corinthians 11, a light came on and illuminated what it actually said and what it actually said was never mentioned in teaching on the subject. Only what confirmed denominational teaching.

When people found out what I was studying they said "Oh you should read a book written by so and so. So I did and I was surprised by how many had seen what I was seeing about 1 Corinthians 11.

Plus this involved a study of Jewish culture and life and that shed light on the true meaning of the passage bearing in mind that Christianity is a product that came out of Judaism.

One thing I learnt was that being considered a sect of Judaism, their background and history would have informed their way of life which means that there were a set number of feasts during the year which Jews celebrated. I learned that they did not waiver from these set feasts. They were held at the same time and in the same way every year. This means there was no Christian feast to celebrate the death of Jesus other than the Passover feast which was clearly mandated by Jesus before he died.

So I have no hesitation in declaring what I now know to be the truth. It would not surprise me one little bit if I get further revelation to add to that which I already know.

Last edited:
Reactions: Joseph77

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How do we know that?
"I did the only thing I could do and that was going back to the original scripture in the Greek. With the help of anointed scholars who had seen the light, I discovered what I believed was wrong."
"When people fund out what I was studying they said "Oh you should read a book written by so and so. So I did and I was surprised by how many had seen what I was seeing"
"Plus this involved a study of Jewish culture and life and that shed light on the true meaning of the passage. So I have no hesitation in declaring what I now know to be the truth. It would not surprise me one little bit if I get further revelation to add to that which I already know."

Plus, Jesus PRAISED THE FATHER IN HEAVEN, for REVEALING Salvation (Truth) and everything concerning Salvation to infants, and hiding it from the educated ones. Jesus likewise says: you must become like little infants or you will never see the Kingdom of Heaven. So even the Apostles did as Jesus said/says/ to do - they gave up everything, counting it as dung, for the surpassing experiential knowledge of Christ Jesus as Savior.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I would have thought it was self-explanatory. However, I will do my best. Like most things that I say, it starts because someone challenges what I believe. When that happens I don't get all defensive and call them names. I go back to square one and look at it again for the simple reason if I am wrong I want to know.

When I was challenged about what I believed about communion, which was standard fare around the churches, so I couldn't be wrong could I if all the churches did it. But I chose to put that aside and really search for the truth. As a result, I came up with my Martin Luther 95 Thesis.

After an extensive 15 year study where I found stuff I had never seen before, mainly because I wasn't looking for it and did not need to see it as I was following the accepted line like everyone else, I did the only thing I could do and that was going back to the original scripture in the Greek. With the help of anointed scholars who had seen the light, I discovered what I believed was wrong.

As I delved again into 1 Corinthians 11, a light came on and illuminated what it actually said and what it actually said was never mentioned in teaching on the subject. Only what confirmed denominational teaching.

When people found out what I was studying they said "Oh you should read a book written by so and so. So I did and I was surprised by how many had seen what I was seeing about 1 Corinthians 11.

Plus this involved a study of Jewish culture and life and that shed light on the true meaning of the passage bearing in mind that Christianity is a product that came out of Judaism.

One thing I learnt was that being considered a sect of Judaism, their background and history would have informed their way of life which means that there were a set number of feasts during the year which Jews celebrated. I learned that they did not waiver from these set feasts. They were held at the same time and in the same way every year. This means there was no Christian feast to celebrate the death of Jesus other than the Passover feast which was clearly mandated by Jesus before he died.

So I have no hesitation in declaring what I now know to be the truth. It would not surprise me one little bit if I get further revelation to add to that which I already know.

A load of waffle.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Again I am impressed with your in-depth exegesis of the passage concerned.
You said
"Easter is a pagan festival adopted by the church, altered and made it's own."

But you provide no evidence to support such a claim.