Easter

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
@marksman

I believe God honours the celebration, and we are feasting to celebrate Jesus, to celebrate life, it's a tradition to eat fish on Good Friday, this may not be the main reason, but when we read the Bible there are quite a few miracles involving fish and it would seem Jesus did have quite a liking for fish.

Peter, John and James were struggling to catch fish all night, then Jesus tells them to drop the net in the water, they fill their nets to breaking point and fill up both boats nearly to point of sinking, Jesus then tells them now you will be fishers of men.

Jesus also fed the multitudes twice, first time he fed the 5000 with the 5 loaves and 2 fish, the second time 4000 people with 7 loaves and fishes.

There is then the miraculous catch of fish after Jesus's resurrection, like the 1st miraculous catch, Peter, Thomas, Nathanael, James, John and 2 others went fishing in the evening and caught nothing that night, the following morning Jesus asked of they had caught anything, Jesus then instructed them to throw their net to the right side of the boat, they caught 153 fish, this is when of course Peter realized it was the Lord.

So it's quite symbolic in a way.

And yeah Chocolate, well who says we cannot enjoy a sweet treat during Easter? :D

I could be wrong but I think the origin of the word Easter comes from feast. And as Christians we are feasting to celebrate Jesus, of course the passover feasts are also involved around it.

As a matter of fact, Did you know in the modern day, the witches absolutely hate Christians celebrating Easter, so we must be doing something right, and they absolutely hate Easter Sunday, Resurrection Sunday is like the worst day of the year for them.

So let's keep celebrating Easter! ;)

I believe God honours the celebration, and we are feasting to celebrate Jesus, to celebrate life, it's a tradition to eat fish on Good Friday, this may not be the main reason, but when we read the Bible there are quite a few miracles involving fish and it would seem Jesus did have quite a liking for fish.

Chapter and verse please in relation to the death of Jesus.

Peter, John and James were struggling to catch fish all night, then Jesus tells them to drop the net in the water, they fill their nets to breaking point and fill up both boats nearly to point of sinking, Jesus then tells them now you will be fishers of men.

Chapter and verse please where this relates to Jesus' death.

Jesus also fed the multitudes twice, first time he fed the 5000 with the 5 loaves and 2 fish, the second time 4000 people with 7 loaves and fishes.

There is then the miraculous catch of fish after Jesus's resurrection, like the 1st miraculous catch, Peter, Thomas, Nathanael, James, John and 2 others went fishing in the evening and caught nothing that night, the following morning Jesus asked of they had caught anything, Jesus then instructed them to throw their net to the right side of the boat, they caught 153 fish, this is when of course Peter realized it was the Lord.

And yeah Chocolate, well who says we cannot enjoy a sweet treat during Easter?

No one.

I could be wrong but I think the origin of the word Easter comes from feast. And as Christians we are feasting to celebrate Jesus, of course the passover feasts are also involved around it.

Yes, you are wrong.

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
@marksman Anyway if you are looking for debate this is the wrong place, I do not wish to enter into legalism and I do not wish to debate about Easter here. :D

Let's celebrate Jesus;)

Reactions: Pearl

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
@marksman Anyway if you are looking for debate this is the wrong place, I do not wish to enter into legalism and I do not wish to debate about Easter here. :D

Let's celebrate Jesus;)

No that is where you are wrong. This IS the place to tease out things as iron sharpens iron. You only find out what is right by finding out what is wrong. If you never question anything then you are in danger of being up the creek without a paddle.

And it is not legalistic to want to know the truth. Just like the Bereans in scripture who searched the scripture so as to know the truth and were commended for it.

And if you don't want to be challenged about what you post the answer is simple. Don't post unless you know what you are talking about.

If I read something that sounds suspect it drives me to scripture and my books because if I am wrong I want to know.

Reactions: GerhardEbersoehn

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
We believe in the Real Presence as such we can not do the Eucharist at home on our own. You see to us it is so much more than mere remembrance, the Eucharist is the Body and Blood of Christ so there is no Priest to consecrate the elements. All though is not lost for us because our Priest got permission from the Bishop to get Eucharist packages and will consecrate them and give them to us but it is taking forever to get them because of the shipping so we will miss out for Easter

My wife and I are following the Easter services on a live stream and making a spiritual communion.
Not as good as the real thing but better than nothing.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
It was nothing of the kind. Easter was the pagan festival taken on by the church and which celebrated fertility hence the eggs.
Since I focused on the resurrection of Christ, your comments are meaningless. All that other nonsense can be ignored, and you too should focus on the resurrection of Christ, as should every Christian.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I don't get excited about easter as it has nothing at all to do with the death and resurrection of Jesus. That took place during Passover week which is not at Easter.

Of course Easter is about the death and resurrection of Jesus.
There is an interesting article here about the date of Easter.

Reactions: Josho and Pearl

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
It was nothing of the kind. Easter was the pagan festival taken on by the church and which celebrated fertility hence the eggs.
Nonsense.

The death and resurrection of Jesus is celebrated by Christians all over the world at this time of year.
Do you realise that the name "Easter" for this celebration time is peculiar to English.
In most other languages the name is based on Passover, Resurrection or "Great Day"
For example:
Hebrew, Greek, Latin & Polish - Pascha
Italian & Catalan - Pasqua
Russian - Paska

See here

Reactions: Pearl

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

I don't know what you find funny.
It's peculiar to English because it's not based on a religious origin such as Pascha or Resurrection.
Although having said that it might be.

Some claim it's based on the name of the pagan goddess "oestra". The only source for this is the the monk known as the Venerable Bede (672-735).

However the Encyclopedia Brittanica says There is now widespread consensus that the word derives from the Christian designation of Easter week as in albis, a Latin phrase that was understood as the plural of alba (“dawn”) and became eostarum in Old High German, the precursor of the modern German and English term.

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hope you all have a wonderful Easter, the most important time of year on the Christian calendar, as we remember the price Jesus paid for us on that cross, so that we can have a bridge to eternal life, as we remember His blood shed, that we may be cleansed and our sins forgiven, and as we remember the stone rolled away, the resurrection, the victory over death.

Easter is a celebration of LIFE, Easter is celebration that Jesus is Alive and Easter is a celebration that Jesus saves, Hallelujah.

So Easter services are obviously looking different this year, as most will be streaming online, here is one I just listened to with my parents, a Good Friday service, we have been watching the last few services from this bunch, ever since restrictions came into place.

Thank you @Josho , and a very blessed and praise-full Easter to you as well :)

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Or perhaps they don't celebrate it or honour it or mark it any other way.
Looks like it. Let's not forget that the resurrection of Christ was under attack the day after it occurred, and has been under attack by pagans, Muslims, apostates, and scoffers down through the ages. Several persons have tried to claim that it was a hoax. But all attacks on the resurrection of Christ are from Satan, who was thoroughly destroyed and defeated at the cross and in the resurrection..

Scoffing at the word "Easter" in the King James Bible is another pointless attempt to connect the resurrection to paganism. But Easter (Pascha) as a Christian festival goes back to the 2nd century. Although it could have been transliterated as Pascha, English readers to more relate to Easter.

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Well I watched part of 2 services today, Heritage of Faith Church in the Gold Coast and St Mary's Cathedral in Sydney. And Songs of Praise after.

Here was the service St Mary's Cathedral Sydney, it was broadcasted live on Channel 7. We haven't actually attended a service in there before, but we been inside the Cathedral and the presence of God is deep in that place, you can certainly feel the Holy Spirit in there. Anyway here was their Easter Sunday service, some wonderful singing and there was a strong anointing of the Holy Spirit there.

Last edited:

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Nonsense.

The death and resurrection of Jesus is celebrated by Christians all over the world at this time of year.
Do you realise that the name "Easter" for this celebration time is peculiar to English.
In most other languages the name is based on Passover, Resurrection or "Great Day"
For example:
Hebrew, Greek, Latin & Polish - Pascha
Italian & Catalan - Pasqua
Russian - Paska

See here
No sorry, it is not nonsense. Christians all over the world meet in fancy buildings at this time of the year but you won't find that in scripture so it doesn't mean it is right.

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Of course Easter is about the death and resurrection of Jesus.
There is an interesting article here about the date of Easter.

You answered my post without reading it. I never said that Easter is not about the death and resurrection of Jesus. I said Easter is a pagan festival adopted by the church.

Last edited: