Embarrassed of this..

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

lilygrace

Dec 22, 2020
philadelphia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Since 2017 i can't stop picking my skin or scalp. Anyone go through this? It seemed like it could get better sometimes but it hasn't

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Since 2017 i can't stop picking my skin or scalp. Anyone go through this? It seemed like it could get better sometimes but it hasn't
Have you consulted a dermatologist? If not, give it a try. Also hydrocortisone can be helpful, depending on what the problem is.

Reactions: April_Rose

tsr

Feb 2, 2021
04/20/47
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Dermatillomania is sometimes referred to as skin-picking disorder or excoriation disorder. Its main symptom is an uncontrollable urge to pick at a certain part of your body. People with dermatillomania tend to feel a strong sense of anxiety or stress that's only alleviated by picking at something

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Yes my daughter does this, she suffers with ptsd following an abusive relationship. She also developed OCD as a result. She is currently waiting for counselling. Half the time she doesn’t even realise she is doing it. A friend of mine also had an abusive relationship and she pulls her hair out.
Rita

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I also dealt with this at times in the past to varying degrees. I know other trauma survivors who struggle with this.

Once the source of stress is addressed and you're able to process through some things, it should get better.

lilygrace

Dec 22, 2020
philadelphia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
thank you all. nothing has been able to help me stop. i believe this is cos of the reasons mentioned. it started around a time that a woman i know from church was on hospice. me and my parents would visit her. she was like a grandmother to me. during one week of our visitation, my mother went with my aunt. me and my dad visited her. she asked where my mom was. dad told her that she ran off with another man.
but she was lying there and said to me that she doesnst know whats going on with my parents but i have her and God :'(

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Dermatillomania. There is a good book out there called "Stop Picking On Me' by Mary-Margaret Stratton. The most important part of what she suggests is sometimes we go through abusive relationships/heartbreak where we felt like people were highly judgmental, and sometimes as the abuse stops, we no longer have someone around picking at all of our flaws so we look for them ourselves. We replace our abuser. (It's a type of unintentional self-harm.)

I had this for a long time with cystic acne. It was embarrassing. Also had abusive relationships.

If you want to clear it up and if you have scars, I suggest seeing if 1 part water, 1 part white vinegar for a toner, and this DIY rice cream ... I'll post a link. Jasmine rice is best. It will keep it from smelling gross and it's more fragrant. The vinegar toner is SUPER great for acne. Clears it up quick. (There's also a rice water method for hair growth that works fantastic. Not relevant, but it's a favorite.)

Then the most important part that helped me was getting down to the root of the problem and dealing with those internal feelings, getting to work on things from the heart, and just figuring out those issues and dealing with them. Finding healthy outlets to put that energy into like exercise, some kind of hobby, etc.

Reactions: tsr and lilygrace