English vs American

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Tss amateur Americans. So much fast foods and GM foods and etc they've lost the ability recognize and digest deaccent food like Indian...
Maybe if they had a big silly mascot like a clown it would be popular
America is flush with groceries.
Food is one of the cheapest things here. No one eats beans and rice except as a rare once in a while thing. (Or they happen to like it)
Every meal in America is flush with meat. Vegetables are eaten only by the health conscious. The number one vegetable in America is the potato...

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Cricket - Baseball

Its the same thing.
One guy throws the ball and the other hits it with a bat but every time i see Americans trying to make sense of it they seem bewildered...

What do u say @JohnDB ... Do u reckon u could spot the googly and play a pull shot so it smashes into silly point???
https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2F8fca15d3-bf2c-45ac-8d48-dea212c1af54

I would be very surprise if you muster up a literal response to that question.. Its a real question... hehehe

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
America is flush with groceries.
Food is one of the cheapest things here. No one eats beans and rice except as a rare once in a while thing. (Or they happen to like it)
Every meal in America is flush with meat. Vegetables are eaten only by the health conscious. The number one vegetable in America is the potato...

Flush??? Lost in translation i think... What do mean?

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Here is one you should of picked up @JohnDB ... Power supplies
Domestic single phase 240 v - 110 v... Why is that John... U guys have more efficient machines then, true? or they would need higher amps? Is it?

Then our industrial 3 phase is 415 v - ???

Im not the best with electricity...
Ohms i know is resistance
But i get mixed up with volts amps
Watts is power
Why do TIGS and stick machines use amps and MIGs use volts?

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Ohh i thought pants was like a dirty word in the UK for some reason...
We use trousers for formal wear and pants for casual wear...
Underneath we were undies or jocks
Lol, yes ‘pants ‘ is sometimes used to describe something if it is disliked.
Also I think some people use the word pants for trousers, undies would be more in line with women’s knickers , boxer shorts are more common now than pants,or underpants.
Rita

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Cricket - Baseball

Its the same thing.
One guy throws the ball and the other hits it with a bat but every time i see Americans trying to make sense of it they seem bewildered...

What do u say @JohnDB ... Do u reckon u could spot the googly and play a pull shot so it smashes into silly point???
https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2F8fca15d3-bf2c-45ac-8d48-dea212c1af54

I would be very surprise if you muster up a literal response to that question.. Its a real question... hehehe
How is cricket and baseball the same thing.
I would say rounders and baseball are more similar, mainly because you go round in order top score , where as in cricket to run back and fourth with two players !

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
How is cricket and baseball the same thing.
I would say rounders and baseball are more similar, mainly because you go round in order top score , where as in cricket to run back and fourth with two players !

Ye but rounders... Who plays that? Is there any professional leagues? Im not eben 100% sure what that is actually...
Softball is more reckognizable...
Ill look it up now

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I think its bigendered down here... Damn liberals... loL
Lol, that hasn’t reached the underwear section yet in the U.K., give it time though !
Rita

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Ye but rounders... Who plays that? Is there any professional leagues? Im not eben 100% sure what that is actually...
Softball is more reckognizable...
Ill look it up now
It’s something we use to play at school, I am not sure it is played much either these days. I have heard of softball, but don’t know much about it x
Rita

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
It looks like baseball anyway... Iv picked the biggest bat and ball games in the countries basically...

Besides i love seeing the yanks try to make sense out of it and their reactions at some of the terms and positions

Reactions: Rita

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Lol, that hasn’t reached the underwear section yet in the U.K., give it time though !
Rita

I never even thought about it but its not new, its from before me... Panties is what comes to mind. Lace panties for the ladies... I don't think they do call em undies the girls. We call em panties, i think they do too

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
We have hardly no variation in tongues here. America has a bit.. The UK has languages that are not comprehendible to us...

Reactions: Rita

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, thinking about it they probably do use the word panties as well as knickers for girls, but pants would definitely be for boys / men.
You know I have a feeling that the word briefs is used to describe both male and female underwear at times, so I guess we have gone unisex ! Rita

Reactions: Cristo Rei

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here is one you should of picked up @JohnDB ... Power supplies
Domestic single phase 240 v - 110 v... Why is that John... U guys have more efficient machines then, true? or they would need higher amps? Is it?

Then our industrial 3 phase is 415 v - ???

Im not the best with electricity...
Ohms i know is resistance
But i get mixed up with volts amps
Watts is power
Why do TIGS and stick machines use amps and MIGs use volts?

Domestic power here is 120-240 because it is just a split phase of a delta wired transformer. So the two are 180 degrees apart.
Commercial can be 120-208 or 277-480. They are always 60 degrees apart and usually are three phases of either wye or delta transformers.

Volt/amps are watts...

Volts vs amps...
Best explanation is think of a garden hose.
How much pressure the water comes out with is the volts...
The amount of water in the hose is the amps.
the rate which the bucket which gets filled is watts.

Increase the volts but lower the amps but the buckets keep coming just as fast anyway. Same number of watts delivered.
Lower the volts but increase the amps and you are still delivering the same watts.

Wire is sized according to the amps...all comes pretty standard capable of handling 600volts anyway.

So we like using higher volts and fewer amps.
Also...
Breakers are sized for amps...volts too but a 20 amp breaker is pretty common.
@ 120 volts I can only get 16-17, 100 watt fixtures on one 20 Amp circuit.
@ 277 volts I can get over 30, 100 watt fixtures on one circuit.

Last edited:

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
We have hardly no variation in tongues here. America has a bit.. The UK has languages that are not comprehendible to us...
Yes, accents vary so much here,I find it hard to understand Scottish people and also strong Irish accents are difficult to understand. I love the jordie and Liverpudlian accents. I speak ‘ common ‘ , closer to the London accent.
Accents vary in the USA as well. Rita

Last edited:

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Yes, thinking about it they probably do use the word panties as well as knickers for girls, but pants would definitely be for boys / men.
You know I have a feeling that the word briefs is used to describe both male and female underwear at times, so I guess we have gone unisex ! Rita

They use panties and knickers... They? American guys? girls? Poms?

What do the ladies in England call their underware?

Ah yes definitely briefs have gender dysphoria... I always knew briefs as boys and was surprised when i leant the girls called em briefs and their the same kind of cut or style...

Trunks i think the yanks for boys

What about budgie smugglers???

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Now here's the inside secret...

When the pandemic first started they showed Vanderbilt University hospital with a completed ward built in the parking garage.

And I knew it to be a fake picture to begin with. The reason I knew was that I know where all the Electrical crews in town are. The knowledgeable ones were busy elsewhere.
Also
Codes here are that lighting in patient areas are 120 volts...no exceptions because patients have open skin and the lower voltages are needed to keep patients from getting killed by low voltage power leaks from inductance and capacitance.

And since I was the one who wired up the garage to begin with...I knew beyond all shadow of a doubt that the garage only has 277/480 volt power run to it. They can lower it with a transformer but who was going to wire up the thing ?
And besides...the ceiling was wrong. LOL I have intimate knowledge of the ceiling and the conduits and sprinklers in it.