English vs American

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Domestic power here is 120-240 because it is just a split phase of a delta wired transformer. So the two are 180 degrees apart.
Commercial can be 120-208 or 277-480. They are always 60 degrees apart and usually are three phases of either wye or delta transformers.

Ahhh too advanced for me... Not get any more technical with this just give us a brief on why and its advantages pls

Volt/amps are watts...

dccircuits-dcp25.gif

Ye i know your triangle... ;)... Do u know ours??? No clues for u ur old enough and smart enough to work it out...
A famous mathematical triangle in engineering???

Best explanation is think of a garden hose.
How much pressure the water comes out with is the volts...
The amount of water in the hose is the amps.
the rate which the bucket which gets filled is watts.

Increase the volts but lower the amps but the buckets keep coming just as fast anyway. Same number of watts delivered.
Lower the volts but increase the amps and you are still delivering the same watts.

Ah, cool. Whenever i think about electricity i kind put on my pipe fitting gear and think about electricity like plumbing... Basic electrical

Breakers are sized for amps...volts too but a 20 amp breaker is pretty common.
@ 120 volts I can only get 16-17, 100 watt fixtures on one 20 Amp circuit.
@ 277 volts I can get over 30, 100 watt fixtures on one circuit.

Ye i think we have 10 and 15 for the single phase and 30 for 3 phase by memory.
Forget but i kept flipping them with welding machines over the years

Reactions: JohnDB

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They use panties and knickers... They? American guys? girls? Poms?

What do the ladies in England call their underware?

Ah yes definitely briefs have gender dysphoria... I always knew briefs as boys and was surprised when i leant the girls called em briefs and their the same kind of cut or style...

Trunks i think the yanks for boys

What about budgie smugglers???

Panties for the girls and either boxers or briefs for the boys...
Briefs AKA tightie whities.
Some guidos wear bikini briefs AKA nutbags

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ahhh too advanced for me... Not get any more technical with this just give us a brief on why and its advantages pls

View attachment 12641

Ye i know your triangle... ;)... Do u know ours??? No clues for u ur old enough and smart enough to work it out...

Ah, cool. Whenever i think about electricity i kind put on my pipe fitting gear and think about electricity like plumbing... Basic electrical

Welders usually get a 3phase 30 amp breaker. You get to vastly undersize the wire for welders because those blokes are always on break....ha!...they never really need the wire but we size the breaker as if they do. (Makes them feel better)

(That's actual codes here)

The smaller breakers will trip usually from the inrush current. Your breakers are on the IEC standard and have too short a time before they trip (microseconds)

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Yes, accents vary so much here,I find it hard to understand Scottish people and also strong Irish accents are difficult to understand. I love the joyride and Liverpudlian accents. I speak ‘ common ‘ , closer to the London accent.
Accents vary in the USA as well. Rita

The Jordies are they??? Like Steven Gerard, the Beatles. I can understand... Scottish and Irish i can understand the easier dialects but they have huge variations don't they and dialects which are wack?

I remember thinking where is Wayne Rooney from what language is that... I looked and it says England, why can't i understand him but im ok with everyone else in England but him...

I have a thing for the way they grass up north with an open A... Dunno why, jus sounds sweeter than the way they say it here and London
U know the open A? Don't know how to describe it... Grass... Newcastle people will say it open a and Londoners will say with a closed A
is that right or did i mic that up?

Why do u suppose the accents in Australia don't vary much??? I know the answer but why do u think???

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
English gallons are larger.
But American heads are probably larger due to swelling! Note that I am speaking of the thing at the top of our bodies rather the potty place aboard ship.

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

View attachment 12641

We use a circle all chopped up here...

P=ExI
E=IxR

Both together will give you 12 formulas... until you get to AC which will give you over 90 because of inductance and capacitance.
Some say over 100 but a lot of them are repeats IMHO.

Usually I don't have to think that hard about it. My guesses at this point are better than most engineers facts.

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All I know is that whatever you call them I got a batch of donut dough proofing the first time and soon it will be time to proof it again after I roll them out and cut them.

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
We use a circle all chopped up here...

P=ExI
E=IxR

Both together will give you 12 formulas... until you get to AC which will give you over 90 because of inductance and capacitance.
Some say over 100 but a lot of them are repeats IMHO.

Usually I don't have to think that hard about it. My guesses at this point are better than most engineers facts.

Ye iv seen it... the v, w, a triangle is the one i remembered cos it reminds me of our most basic triangle most used
Force equals mass multiplied by acceleration and u transpose it the same way with the triangle...

There are too many equations in engineering to remember. Engineering is a broad subject, electrics falls into it, true. Too many specialized fields. I have always been good at maths. I became a tradesman welder before doing a diploma in engineering... In my mind i thought i'll breeze through maths subject cos im the mack, lol

Too confident but... university maths was something else. Miss a class and u have to had to work hard to catch up the teacher moved on at a fast pace leaving many of us panicking a bit... Calculus was the hardest though, without meters or liters or something your left with just the number which is harder for me to grasp. Physics was really interesting, fun, more practical every number has a parameter so u can think through easier, i found. 50mm i can picture but what if its just 50, can't picture the number on its own... I cant picture electricity actually cos i cant see the dang thang... lol... U would have that issue then... lol

But as hard as that was was there was more if i went in with a degree and masters but i didn't... We didn't do Einstein which is even harder... Newtons stuff is sufficient for applications here on earth...

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Guidos are guys that try to act "macho"... mostly from Jersey and have some sort of italian heritage.

Are all Italians guidos or only the macho ones... U call italians em, aahhh not spiks their Mexicans... Ah its at the tip of my tongue NY people use it heaps, the Godfather, goofellas.... Ahhh.. Italians i can't remember the term u guys use...

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are all Italians guidos or only the macho ones... U call italians em, aahhh not spiks their Mexicans... Ah its at the tip of my tongue NY people use it heaps, the Godfather, goofellas.... Ahhh.. Italians i can't remember the term u guys use...
Wops.
From the days when they were immigrants working on the railroad as grunt laborers....wop was the sound they made pounding in the spikes.
Vs
Chink...which was applied to the asians coming to america to work from the west coast on the railroad.

Both are considered to be slang and not acceptable language.

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ye iv seen it... the v, w, a triangle is the one i remembered cos it reminds me of our most basic triangle most used
Force equals mass multiplied by acceleration and u transpose it the same way with the triangle...

There are too many equations in engineering to remember. Engineering is a broad subject, electrics falls into it, true. Too many specialized fields. I have always been good at maths. I became a tradesman welder before doing a diploma in engineering... In my mind i thought i'll breeze through maths subject cos im the mack, lol

Too confident but... university maths was something else. Miss a class and u have to had to work hard to catch up the teacher moved on at a fast pace leaving many of us panicking a bit... Calculus was the hardest though, without meters or liters or something your left with just the number which is harder for me to grasp. Physics was really interesting, fun, more practical every number has a parameter so u can think through easier, i found. 50mm i can picture but what if its just 50, can't picture the number on its own... I cant picture electricity actually cos i cant see the dang thang... lol... U would have that issue then... lol

But as hard as that was was there was more if i went in with a degree and masters but i didn't... We didn't do Einstein which is even harder... Newtons stuff is sufficient for applications here on earth...

Electrical work is just applied math.
I use cosecants to bend and run conduit all day long...
Every kid I get to train I tell him that he needs to understand them if he wants to learn to bend conduits. Most don't...I give them the boot and send them packing and get another one.
But my helpers who stick with me...they get the money really quick as journeymen.

The ones who don't make it usually go crying first to the other journeymen on the job (whom I've trained) and then get really pissed when they hear that they should be listening to me and doing as I tell them.

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Electrical work is just applied math.
I use cosecants to bend and run conduit all day long...
Every kid I get to train I tell him that he needs to understand them if he wants to learn to bend conduits. Most don't...I give them the boot and send them packing and get another one.
But my helpers who stick with me...they get the money really quick as journeymen.

The ones who don't make it usually go crying first to the other journeymen on the job (whom I've trained) and then get really pissed when they hear that they should be listening to me and doing as I tell them.

Ah its todays youth... I remember staying back after work in my time to practice my welding to become better. I went from one industry to another not cos of money or cos it was easy but cows it was harder, different skills, more technical... I always wanted to learn more. Even now i still love learning stuff in life... From my dad 75 still loves learning too...

Cosecants... geez... I miss the old days when we used to use our brains more... Most of the maths has been taken by machinery now... Pipe benders, folders, rollers and such
I used to grab a sheet do all the math, mark it, cut it and form it into an item... Now there a guy on a profile cutter, anither on the forming machine like folder roller, and the welder and the assembler/finisher/polisher/painter depending. So its like a production line. Crap, same thing all day.
Different items but just weld all day... No good... Welders have been turned into zombies now, sound math isn't required

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Yes, accents vary so much here,I find it hard to understand Scottish people and also strong Irish accents are difficult to understand. I love the jordie and Liverpudlian accents. I speak ‘ common ‘ , closer to the London accent.
Accents vary in the USA as well. Rita
@Barbara Ppl outside North America sometimes don't realize just how much accents of English differ over here...

Reactions: Rita

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The Jordies are they??? Like Steven Gerard, the Beatles. I can understand... Scottish and Irish i can understand the easier dialects but they have huge variations don't they and dialects which are wack?

I remember thinking where is Wayne Rooney from what language is that... I looked and it says England, why can't i understand him but im ok with everyone else in England but him...

I have a thing for the way they grass up north with an open A... Dunno why, jus sounds sweeter than the way they say it here and London
U know the open A? Don't know how to describe it... Grass... Newcastle people will say it open a and Londoners will say with a closed A
is that right or did i mic that up?

Why do u suppose the accents in Australia don't vary much??? I know the answer but why do u think???
I corrected my original post, how does jordie become joyride !!
Wayne Rooney is from Liverpool, but he moved around so his accent would have been influenced by those places. I am not a fan of Mr Rooney, think way too much of himself x
I think I know what you mean about the ‘ a’ in how the words are pronounced. It’s quite difficult trying to explain the accents in words, so much easier when you hear them. I wouldn’t have a clue about the accents not changing in Australia, but it’s the same in other countries as well I think.
Rita

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ah its todays youth... I remember staying back after work in my time to practice my welding to become better. I went from one industry to another not cos of money or cos it was easy but cows it was harder, different skills, more technical... I always wanted to learn more. Even now i still love learning stuff in life... From my dad 75 still loves learning too...

Cosecants... geez... I miss the old days when we used to use our brains more... Most of the maths has been taken by machinery now... Pipe benders, folders, rollers and such
I used to grab a sheet do all the math, mark it, cut it and form it into an item... Now there a guy on a profile cutter, anither on the forming machine like folder roller, and the welder and the assembler/finisher/polisher/painter depending. So its like a production line. Crap, same thing all day.
Different items but just weld all day... No good... Welders have been turned into zombies now, sound math isn't required
I try to set up situations like this with my crews if I can...so we can get on to the next project and eventually get laid off. It's faster to produce like that.
I earn every sacking I get. And I get sacked a lot. I like to go out and celebrate every time I do. My preferred day is a Thursday sacking...
That way I can get a long weekend before starting the next job.

You gotta understand that most people don't want to learn more about the work they do...they don't take pride in it... don't want to put their name on the work they do either.
I do...I'll take pics if I think it was difficult enough or picture perfect example of something to show someone later for training purposes.

Craftsmanship is an attitude...I've seen lousy craftsmanship pictures of people proud of the garbage they made...and I'm thinking that they probably shouldn't have put them online. It wasn't good work or even a good picture.

Accurately assessing your work, knowing how it can improve, and eventually getting it perfect every time is craftsmanship.

It takes knowledge and skills that can only come from practice.

BTW...put a pic of last night's doughnuts in my media folder.

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
You gotta understand that most people don't want to learn more about the work they do...they don't take pride in it... don't want to put their name on the work they do either.

But why? I can only assume its from school... I don't know all of what they teach but i know some things.
Their taught that they are special snowflakes... What kind of attitude will that bring.... Im special
Their taught about equality... How does that impact them...
Their taught to act from their feelings...
They play sport but don't keep score because the looser might get sad...
Their actually taught that the world owes them... Is hard to believe but that what iv heard
They don't get disciplined anymore...

Think about how all that would impact on a kids thinking...
And who knows what else their teaching, much more that we know nothing about probs...
Where do u think this laziness from this generation comes from? Am i onto something? What else could it be?

To me it looks like teachers with marxist ideas have flooded our schools and have indoctrinated these kids to oppose the traditional values
Just look at the Americans burning their own flag.

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But why? I can only assume its from school... I don't know all of what they teach but i know some things.
Their taught that they are special snowflakes... What kind of attitude will that bring.... Im special
Their taught about equality... How does that impact them...
Their taught to act from their feelings...
They play sport but don't keep score because the looser might get sad...
Their actually taught that the world owes them... Is hard to believe but that what iv heard
They don't get disciplined anymore...

Think about how all that would impact on a kids thinking...
And who knows what else their teaching, much more that we know nothing about probs...
Where do u think this laziness from this generation comes from? Am i onto something? What else could it be?

To me it looks like teachers with marxist ideas have flooded our schools and have indoctrinated these kids to oppose the traditional values
Just look at the Americans burning their own flag.

There are those fully embracing the liberal's agenda...then there are those who are not.

It will be very difficult to know where to go without a guide if you ever lived here with a family. Private schools are better...but they are expensive. They go beyond the tuition and Nickel and Dime ya to death.
Public schools? That's where all that garbage you mentioned comes in to play.
I enrolled my son in all sorts of extra sports...and when they were really young they weren't supposed to keep score...but the kids did it anyway. No scoreboard but every kid knew the score.
As they got older out came the scoreboards because the kids definitely knew math and reading. (Mine could read at an early age)

But it was NOT affiliated or had anything to do with the school system or government in any fashion.
We paid fees and bought equipment...some even hired private coaches and trainers and went way over the top for their kids.

I just took him to batting cages before some games to practice batting a bit. Or threw the football with him...or dribbled the soccer ball with him.

All that stuff gets expensive though...
But if you don't want the transvestites and Homosexuals teaching your child their messed up social experiment ideas...it's just what you need to do.

Reactions: Cristo Rei