Escape from a Death Cult:

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The problem with universal atonement is that it doesn't pay for anyone's sins, or all would be saved. It only makes works salvation possible for those who save themselves through obedience.

Accepting a gift is not obedience nor is it a "works" Dave. It is generally seen as being impolite to NOT accept a gift from someone.
Just because the sins of the world have been paid for does not mean that all will accept this free gift from God. Let's say a friend calls and say's they just ordered themselves a pizza and decided to be generous and purchase one for you to simply pick up in your friends name. If you decide to not pick up the pizza for whatever reason, that pizza has still been paid for, yes?
Sry, I know this post is pretty old but, I just happened upon it. :)

Reactions: aspen
D

Dave L

Accepting a gift is not obedience nor is it a "works" Dave. It is generally seen as being impolite to NOT accept a gift from someone.
Just because the sins of the world have been paid for does not mean that all will accept this free gift from God. Let's say a friend calls and say's they just ordered themselves a pizza and decided to be generous and purchase one for you to simply pick up in your friends name. If you decide to not pick up the pizza for whatever reason, that pizza has still been paid for, yes?
But, you do not know the gift exists or have a will to pick it up unless God first restores you to life in the new birth. You believe because God saved you. He did not save you because you chose to believe. This is what killed all of those people. They thought God would save (heal) them because they chose to believe.

Reactions: Nancy

Mjh29

May 28, 2017
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

A work is defined as any action that is done to attain a certain end or goal.

"accepting this gift" [apart from the work of the Holy Spirit first] fits exactly into this category. You accepted to achieve the end or goal of salvation. That is a work. Now, I am not denying that you do need to accept, but you cannot unless the Holy Spirit first works within you and regenerates your heart and mind to see the truth.

Reactions: Dave L

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But, you do not know the gift exists or have a will to pick it up unless God first restores you to life in the new birth. You believe because God saved you. He did not save you because you chose to believe. This is what killed all of those people. They thought God would save (heal) them because they chose to believe.

But, yes I DO know the gift exists because I heard and I responded to the Word of God through a preacher:
Romans 10:14 - "How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them?
To whom are you referring to when you say "that is what killed all of those people? "

D

Dave L

But, yes I DO know the gift exists because I heard and I responded to the Word of God through a preacher:
Romans 10:14 - "How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them?
To whom are you referring to when you say "that is what killed all of those people? "
Why did you respond when others did not? Because you received the new birth by grace while listening and the others did not.