Eternity and Prayer

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
This is my first post here, so I’ll make it something thought provoking as a first impression.

My question is based on the idea that God is eternal and timeless. I think the following scriptures support this concept:
Psalm 90:4; 2 Peter 3:8; Psalm 102:12; Psalm 102:24-27; Isaiah 57:15; Psalm 90:2; Psalm 93:2; 2 Timothy 1:9; Titus 1:2; Ephesians 1:4; 1 Peter 1:20

Revelation 5:8 suggests the prayers of the saints are given to the Lord simultaneously, at least from an eternal perspective. This would mean that each prayer has a certain relevance concerning time. A prayer may be an act of contrition, which would come as acknowledgement of our sins after the fact and be highly temporal, because it concerns our past. On the opposite end of the spectrum are prayers of praise and worship which are highly eternal, as it concerns the qualities of God.

What about the other types of prayers that are somewhere in between. Would it hurt to make them a little more eternal? For example if you make a petition to God, why wait for an answer? You know you will get an answer, but you’re not sure what that answer will be. Why not go ahead and thank God in advance, along the way, then after you get your answer?

Have you seen prayers answered by events that were set in motion before you even prayed? Knowing of the Lord's foreknowledge concerning your prayer could you take it a bit further? Could you ask God to comfort an old friend at a time when they would have needed it, after the fact, and assuming your never know if your prayer was answered? How far would you dare to take this?