Eternal Life: A Harvest Reaped In Due Time by Doers of Good?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I recently hit a nerve with a couple users discussing Galatians 6:6-10, so I thought it would be a good idea to open a thread on the passage.

Galatians 6
6The one who is taught the word is to share all good things with the one who teaches him. 7Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, this he will also reap. 8For the one who sows to his own flesh will from the flesh reap corruption, but the one who sows to the Spirit will from the Spirit reap eternal life. 9Let us not lose heart in doing good, for in due time we will reap if we do not grow weary. 10So then, while we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, and especially to those who are of the household of the faith.

Would you, the reader, agree with this passage--eternal life is a "harvest" that is "reaped" from the Spirit only by those who persist in "sowing" to the Spirit (who do not grow weary in doing good to all men)--no matter if it takes some study and prayer to understand how to make it fit in with your tradition, or would you reject such an idea as "heresy"?

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
LOL Apparently, no Protestant on this forum likes this passage of Scripture so far.

Last edited:

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I guess people think this verse disappears if they don't acknowledge it?

So much for "Sola Scriptura"--more like "Sola Traditio", bc "Scriptura" must be silent in the face of Protestant "Traditio".

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
A Christian friend of mine when he was in a Church based retirement village expressed to me how disappointed he was with his Christian Brothers who only interacted with the non-Christian residences to preach their salvation message at them. He pointed out that the ethos in the bowls club in the complex showed care and consideration to the other members in the complex by caring for the people and their respective needs. They helped each other within their capacity to do so. The Christians in the complex never really hear how they could help out those in the complex and meet their specific needs.

It seems to me that you have not fleshed out what Paul was meaning by doing good.

Shalom

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A Christian friend of mine when he was in a Church based retirement village expressed to me how disappointed he was with his Christian Brothers who only interacted with the non-Christian residences to preach their salvation message at them. He pointed out that the ethos in the bowls club in the complex showed care and consideration to the other members in the complex by caring for the people and their respective needs. They helped each other within their capacity to do so. The Christians in the complex never really hear how they could help out those in the complex and meet their specific needs.

It seems to me that you have not fleshed out what Paul was meaning by doing good.

Shalom
So... I'm guilty of wrongdoing, and this guilt proves I'm misrepresenting/misunderstanding Scripture, because... you met some Christians somewhere with whom you disagreed?

Interesting.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
So... I'm guilty of wrongdoing, and this guilt proves I'm misrepresenting/misunderstanding Scripture, because... you met some Christians somewhere with whom you disagreed?

Interesting.

Firstly, I have not accused you of any wrong doing, but rather I asked you to flesh out what you thought Paul was meaning about "doing Good."

So rather than fleshing out what Paul was meaning when he wrote, "let us do good to all people," you then misrepresented me by attributed someone else's observation while he was living in a church-based retirement complex. This elderly friend has since died.

It looks like you are trying to provoke me and others into an argument. Perhaps that is why they are not prepared to comment in this thread.

You know the old saying, "If you cannot do good at home, then you cannot do good outside of your home."

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Firstly, I have not accused you of any wrong doing, but rather I asked you to flesh out what you thought Paul was meaning about "doing Good."

So rather than fleshing out what Paul was meaning when he wrote, "let us do good to all people," you then misrepresented me by attributed someone else's observation while he was living in a church-based retirement complex. This elderly friend has since died.

It looks like you are trying to provoke me and others into an argument. Perhaps that is why they are not prepared to comment in this thread.

You know the old saying, "If you cannot do good at home, then you cannot do good outside of your home."
"Doing good" that counts as "sowing to the Spirit" means that "God works in you to will and to do", and you walk in that, doing those good works the Spirit is working in you to will and to do.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
"Doing good" that counts as "sowing to the Spirit" means that "God works in you to will and to do", and you walk in that, doing those good works the Spirit is working in you to will and to do.

Fair enough, that explanation provides a reasonable platform for this conversation to progress.