Evangelical Body: Cancel 'burn A Quran' Day

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

truthquest

May 23, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Evangelical Body: Cancel 'Burn a Quran' Day
NAE issues public plea. Richard Land calls it "appalling, disgusting, and brainless."
Trevor Persaud | posted 7/30/2010 09:53AM

Evangelical leaders blasted a Gainesville, Florida, church's plans to burn Qur'ans on the anniversary of the 9/11 attacks.
"On September 11th, 2010, from 6pm - 9pm, we will burn the Koran," Dove World Outreach Center announced on its Facebook page, "in remembrance of the fallen victims of 9/11 and to stand against the evil of Islam. Islam is of the devil!"
"Dove World Outreach Center, shame on you," responded Angel Nuñez, vice president of the National Hispanic Christian Leadership Conference.
"If I want to win a Muslim to Christ, I surely won't do it by burning the Qur'an in public and provoking them to hate us more," said Nuñez. "The greatest weapon a Christian has is godly love."
The National Association for Evangelicals released a statement Thursday urging the church, which averages 50 attendees each Sunday, to call off the event.
"It sounds like the proposed Qu'ran burning is rooted in revenge," said NAE president Leith Anderson. "The most powerful statement by the organizers of the planned September 11th bonfire would be to call it off in the name and love of Jesus Christ."
"I think it is appalling, disgusting, and brainless," said Richard Land, director of the Southern Baptist Convention's Ethics and Religious Liberty Commission. "I think that those of us who find what they are doing abhorrent should say so, and say so publicly and often."
Land added that the church's actions "besmirch the reputation of our Savior, and that makes it blasphemy."
"Followers of Christ and Americans don't burn books. Nazis burn books," said Chris Seiple, president of the Institute for Global Engagement.
"Christians are commanded to 'love because he first loved us,'" Seiple said, quoting 1 John 4:19. "Religious freedom is the essence of America—the responsibility to respectfully live with our deepest differences. The proposed burning of the Quran … violates both our Christian and American identities."
George Wood, general superintendent of the Assemblies of God, believes that events like the Gainesville Qur'an burning could make things harder for Christian-Muslim relations.
"It only drives Muslims further away from the Lord Jesus and reinforces the false notion that followers of Jesus are crusaders from the Middle Ages," Wood said. "Such actions as these only make it more difficult to effectively witness to Muslims."
Seiple agrees: "If we cannot love our neighbor at home, amidst honest differences, we should not go abroad to share our faith. And don't forget: in a globalized world, everyone is a minority somewhere. Treating minorities with respect is not only the right thing to do, it's in our self-interest."
"Christians certainly don't want Muslims burning Bibles," Anderson said, "so as Christians we should certainly not burn the Qur'an."

Evangelical Leaders Pan Qur'an Burn Plan | Christianity Today | A Magazine of Evangelical Conviction

[email protected]

Choir Loft
Apr 2, 2009
West Central Florida
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
icon1.gif
Evangelical Body: Cancel 'Burn a Quran' Day Evangelical Leaders Pan Qur'an Burn Plan
NAE issues public plea. Richard Land calls it "appalling, disgusting, and brainless."
Trevor Persaud | posted 7/30/2010 09:53AM

Evangelical leaders blasted a Gainesville, Florida, church's plans to burn Qur'ans on the anniversary of the 9/11 attacks.
"On September 11th, 2010, from 6pm - 9pm, we will burn the Koran," Dove World Outreach Center announced on its Facebook page, "in remembrance of the fallen victims of 9/11 and to stand against the evil of Islam. Islam is of the devil!"
"Dove World Outreach Center, shame on you," responded Angel Nuñez, vice president of the National Hispanic Christian Leadership Conference.
"If I want to win a Muslim to Christ, I surely won't do it by burning the Qur'an in public and provoking them to hate us more," said Nuñez. "The greatest weapon a Christian has is godly love."
The National Association for Evangelicals released a statement Thursday urging the church, which averages 50 attendees each Sunday, to call off the event.
"It sounds like the proposed Qu'ran burning is rooted in revenge," said NAE president Leith Anderson. "The most powerful statement by the organizers of the planned September 11th bonfire would be to call it off in the name and love of Jesus Christ."
"I think it is appalling, disgusting, and brainless," said Richard Land, director of the Southern Baptist Convention's Ethics and Religious Liberty Commission. "I think that those of us who find what they are doing abhorrent should say so, and say so publicly and often."
Land added that the church's actions "besmirch the reputation of our Savior, and that makes it blasphemy."
"Followers of Christ and Americans don't burn books. Nazis burn books," said Chris Seiple, president of the Institute for Global Engagement.
"Christians are commanded to 'love because he first loved us,'" Seiple said, quoting 1 John 4:19. "Religious freedom is the essence of America—the responsibility to respectfully live with our deepest differences. The proposed burning of the Quran … violates both our Christian and American identities."
George Wood, general superintendent of the Assemblies of God, believes that events like the Gainesville Qur'an burning could make things harder for Christian-Muslim relations.
"It only drives Muslims further away from the Lord Jesus and reinforces the false notion that followers of Jesus are crusaders from the Middle Ages," Wood said. "Such actions as these only make it more difficult to effectively witness to Muslims."
Seiple agrees: "If we cannot love our neighbor at home, amidst honest differences, we should not go abroad to share our faith. And don't forget: in a globalized world, everyone is a minority somewhere. Treating minorities with respect is not only the right thing to do, it's in our self-interest."
"Christians certainly don't want Muslims burning Bibles," Anderson said, "so as Christians we should certainly not burn the Qur'an."

Evangelical Leaders Pan Qur'an Burn Plan | Christianity Today | A Magazine of Evangelical Conviction

It is not wise to challenge the belief system of Islam, which despite its lack of spirituality, is held in high regard by millions.

It is not wise because there are some who MAY choose to follow Christ instead of that backward self-proclaimed prophet.

It is better to place a welcome mat before the door of our house than to burn down the home of the enemy.

Hamster

Jul 4, 2010
New Brunswick
rjp, wouldn't it be wise to attack Islam with the World of the Lord, and use his law to break their hearts so that Grace may save?

I'm not saying you need to keep the Law to be saved, that's impossible, it's only by grace that you may be saved by faith and not by any works so that you can't boast. But the unbeliever is still under the law, and Paul said "I have not known sin but by the law" and also that the law is there to show sin and exceedingly sinful.

Wouldn't it be wise to use the law to show the errors of their ways? Maybe millions of people will see and repent, or maybe just one.

[email protected]

Choir Loft
Apr 2, 2009
West Central Florida
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
rjp, wouldn't it be wise to attack Islam with the World of the Lord, and use his law to break their hearts so that Grace may save?

I'm not saying you need to keep the Law to be saved, that's impossible, it's only by grace that you may be saved by faith and not by any works so that you can't boast. But the unbeliever is still under the law, and Paul said "I have not known sin but by the law" and also that the law is there to show sin and exceedingly sinful.

Wouldn't it be wise to use the law to show the errors of their ways? Maybe millions of people will see and repent, or maybe just one.

The law was never meant to save anybody - only to convict of sin.

Only grace can save, and that by the blood of Christ shed upon the cross for our sins.

I have spoken to missionaries who have worked with Muslims and they have told me that the best way to argue Christianity over Islam is by Grace.

The Qur'an mentions the unmerited favor of Allah, but there is absolutely no practical application of it hence it is a black hole to them.

Mohammad got Christian theology wrong from the beginning.
When he made up his recitations (the arab word Qur'an means 'recitations'), he claimed that the trinity was Allah, Jesus, and Mary.
* * * Now this is cool. Read this part.* * *
The Qur'an declares that Jesus apologized to Allah for the misunderstanding saying that he (Jesus) never claimed to be divine.
However, it never says how the idea got started in the first place.
In other words, the Qur'an says that Jesus apologized but never said why.

The whole scene in the Qur'an between Allah and Jesus is very confused and puzzling.
Why?
Because it says that Jesus appeared before Allah and had that discussion or apology or whatever you want to call it. The idea that Jesus had the ability to stand in the presence of Allah and speak to Him is strange because Mohammand himself never did so, nor is it ever implied that he could.

If Jesus was NOT the son of God, as the Qur'an says, then how was He able to have a little chat with Allah when no one else could? That's just one of the little quirks of the Muslim book that's never brought out.

Muslim theology is based upon works and membership in their religion.

Some will say that all religions are like that, but that isn't true. Christianity is based upon grace given by God and enabled by the blood of Jesus. It's a God thing. God came to earth, God died on the cross and God offers salvation just because He wants to. No membership in a club is required. No special work is required.

It's all about the grace of the Good Lord. Speak to a Muslim about grace and say that its freely given.
It's hard for them to wrap their minds around it because they are predisposed to 'doing good works' to please Allah.

truthquest

May 23, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Update

This is not the way to give a Christian witness. It will only spur violence and hate between Christians and Muslims.

Fla. church vows to burn Qurans on 9/11, despite fire dept. objection
Aug 20, 2010, Orlando's Fox35 TV reports.
07:00 AM

A Florida church says it will go ahead with plans to burn copies of the Quran on Sept. 11, despite the city refusing to issue a burn permit.

By Raveendran, AFP/Getty Images
The Dove World Outreach Center said early this month that it would burn copies of the Islamic holy text on church grounds to mark the ninth anniversary of the terrorist attacks.

But on Wednesday, the Gainesville Sun reports, Gainesville city officials denied the church a permit, saying the open burning of books is not allowed under the city's burning ordinance.

Interim Fire Chief Gene Prince says the church will be fined if it goes ahead with its plans, the TV station reports.

Mayor Craig Lowe, who has called Dove World a "tiny fringe group and an embarrassment to our community," backed the fire department's decision, the Sun reports.

Now, says Fox35, the church has issued an e-mail that says: "The City of Gainesville denies burn permit -- BUT WE WILL STILL BURN KORANS."

"Things like 9/11, Fort Hood and the honor killings. ... These are possibly not isolated incidents," Terry Jones, pastor of the center, told MyFoxOrlando.com last week. "These are things that, if we don't stand up now, they can increase."

Fla. church vows to burn Qurans on 9/11, despite fire dept. objection -

truthquest

May 23, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Update:Event Could Result in Increase of Persecution Against Christians in Muslim-Dominated Countries

Open Doors USA President to Terry Jones: Cancel Planned Quran Burning Sept. 11
Contact: Jerry Dykstra, Media Relations Director, Open Doors USA, 616-915-4117, [email protected]

SANTA ANA, Calif., Sept. 7 /Christian Newswire/ -- Over the weekend, angry crowds in Kabul, Afghanistan and Jakarta, Indonesia protested and threatened retaliation if the non-denominational Dove World Outreach Center in Gainesville, Fla. goes through with its plans to publicly burn the Quran on Saturday.

Reaction to the possible burning of the Muslim holy book on the ninth anniversary of the September 11 Muslim terrorist attacks on America could unleash worldwide rage -- directed not only at the United States and its troops overseas but also Christians, especially those living in Muslim-dominated countries.

Open Doors USA President/CEO Carl Moeller says: "The planned burning of the Quran is a disaster on two fronts: It violates the command of Jesus to love our neighbor and it would likely cause Christians worldwide to be more vilified and persecuted."

Moeller says a possible Muslim backlash would probably focus on Christians living in predominately Muslim countries who already are caught in the crossfire, including those who have converted from Islam to Christianity.

"The burning of Qurans will only confirm what many Muslims believe -- that Christians hate Muslims. That is exactly the opposite message we as Christians want to send.

"I urge the Dove World Outreach Center and its senior pastor, Terry Jones, to cancel the event. Hate is not biblical; it is not the message of Jesus."

This morning Jones told CNN that the church is "weighing" its intentions after learning that the "International Burn A Quran Day" would endanger American troops.

Moeller urges Christians to unite in prayer this week and pray that the planned Quran burning will be canceled and the Dove World Outreach Center will stop its message of intolerance and hate.

Open Doors USA President to Terry Jones: Cancel Planned Quran Burning Sept. 11 - Christian Newswire

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Agreed Paul.

Just look at the negative attention - though I am very happy to see some positive statements in this thread. Look, I don't believe Islam nor anything associated with it. Whether you believe it a foundation or not, it does have violence associated with it, but how does this (numero uno) glorify God in the least? I'm thinking of I Corinthians 10:31. The Apostle Paul even said I'll watch what I eat if it offends my brother - IE: If it's a way to help that person to God.

You folks know me, I take a stand against false religions, but this is not the way to handle this.

Doppleganger

Mar 21, 2010
I'm just saying its hypocritical that one can burn the flag, and 2 burning the Koran, somehow affects the troops aboard. Stuff like that. When we buy this Junk the media offers us. Your right, it could be handled better though. Zech 11 & 13:7-9 ...

truthquest

May 23, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matt. 25: 40"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'
45"He will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.'
"Literally thousands of Christians' lives are at stake. Millions of Christians' homes and their livelihoods are in jeopardy because of the actions of this tiny church in Gainesville, Florida."

Quran burning will put believers' lives at risk
Posted: 9 September, 2010

USA (MNN) ― A 50-member church in Gainesville, Florida has decided to go ahead with their "International Burn-a-Quran Day" on September 11 despite numerous warnings to refrain.

Pleas to cease what could be viewed as a blasphemous and treacherous act against Muslims around the world have been ignored by the non-denominational church's pastor, Dr. Terry Jones. Protests in countries like Indonesia and Pakistan have gone unheeded. All attempts by Open Doors USA to contact Jones and the church were for naught, as well; calls consistently went unanswered.

Reports indicate that General David Patraeus, head of Multinational Forces in Afghanistan, has urgently asked the church to put an end to the Quran burnings for the sake of the U.S. troops in Afghanistan. Patraeus says troops will be in danger of attacks if Muslims see Americans burning their holy book.

Carl Moeller with Open Doors says the problem is even bigger than that. Not only will troops be at risk of attack, but innocent Christians throughout the Middle East will be extremely vulnerable.

"As wrong as it is for them to be attacked in this way--and unnecessarily so, I might add, soldiers are prepared for conflict," says Moeller. However, "The Christian congregations in those same countries are wholly unprepared for violence."

Moeller says in the past, anti-Muslim acts by a few Christians have put all Christians within Muslim-dominated countries in jeopardy. For instance, after a Danish cartoon mocked Muslim culture, many Christians suffered violence as a result. Moeller says that's what we can expect if the Dove World Outreach Center goes forth with their plans.

"When Al Jazeera or another Muslim television network gets a hold of that footage of a Qur'an being burned by an American church, regardless of how small and insignificant that church is in our landscape, and regardless of how irrelevant it is to basic American Christianity, nonetheless it will be portrayed in the Muslim world as American Christians burning the holy book of Islam," explains Moeller. "Literally thousands of Christians' lives are at stake. Millions of Christians' homes and their livelihoods are in jeopardy because of the actions of this tiny church in Gainesville, Florida."

Jones has defended himself and his church with the first amendment rights, but Moeller says, "The issue of free speech is a 'red herring.' One cannot yell ‘fire!' in a crowded theatre."

At the heart of the issue, Jones and his church refuse to see further than themselves, says Moeller. "It's going to have some very dire repercussions for people that this pastor will hardly--perhaps never, until eternity--get to know."

Moeller says it's gone further than just refusing to love our enemies, all the way to refusing to love our brothers and sisters in Christ. "Jesus' followers don't act this way."

With the Quran burning only two days away, the best we can do is continue to continue to pray and to plead with the church to cease their actions. Moeller says we also need to be prepared to stand side-by-side with our faithful brothers and sisters in the Middle East if and when they suffer the consequences for one church's actions.

Pray that the witness of Christ would remain strong, despite the rash acts of others' in the faith. Pray that Muslims who are close to coming to accepting Jesus would not see this act and turn away from the only One who can truly save them.

Mission Network News

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
I fear many are missing the real point of what this is about. It is a SIGN to take heed.

Islam is a religion of violence. That's the point those like Terry Jones are getting across, but many are instead listening to the rhetoric of appeasers, those who intend to allow Islam to build a mosque on the very spot where 9/11 occurred. They have yet to burn a Quran in Florida and already radical Islam is rioting and threatening ALL Americans in all countries. And if 9/11 was not part of Islamic aims, why would they want to build a mosque on that spot and especially use the name Cordoba for it? Cordoba, Spain is where the Islamic Moors made their capital when they took all of Spain back around 700 A.D. Islam is not just slapping America in the face, they have their sword drawn and intend to destroy us and Christianity.

Islamic followers in the middleast burned Bibles in public in 2007. In most Islamic nations it is illegal to even bring a Bible into the country. Our own government burned Bibles in Afghanistan as appeasement when they were brought in. And Islam wants to threaten anyone burning a Quran with international violence, especially against Americans? They're holding a knife to the appeaser's necks and they're too blind to recognize it.

Those who intend to turn the other cheek to Islamic radicals and let them come in and kill you and your whole family might want to get ready, for that's what they intend to do. If you think that will gain some of them to Christ by not standing up against them, then so be it, the time is close for that wish to come true, and that's the sign. It's time to decide whether we will be sheep or men.

In Luke 22, Christ told those of His disciples that didn't have a sword, to go buy one. Christ DID give us the inalienable right to defend ourselves, our family, and our lands.

truthquest

May 23, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
2 Local Men Burn Quran Despite Protest

Excerpt: "It's about faith, it's about love, but you have to have the right book behind you. This is a book of hate, not a book of love," said Old while holding up a Quran.

And then he burns the quran. That's about hate not love; and not about peace. That's about fanning the flames of hate and violence and giving Christianity a bad representation. And putting the lives of our troops and our Christian brothers and sisters in further danger.

Homepage / Nashville News
2 Local Men Burn Quran Despite Protest
Local Religious Leaders Follow Through With Plans
POSTED: 5:43 pm CDT September 11, 2010
UPDATED: 8:39 am CDT September 12, 2010

Despite multiple pleas to reconsider, two local religious leaders held a private Quran burning in a Springfield backyard Saturday afternoon.

The Rev. Bob Old and the Rev. Danny Allen both had different reasons for burning the Muslim holy book, but they said it had nothing to do with whether or not a mosque was built near ground zero.

"It's about faith, it's about love, but you have to have the right book behind you. This is a book of hate, not a book of love," said Old while holding up a Quran.

The two men said they burned the books to defend the United States Constitution and the American people. It's a move that has been denounced by Christian groups, politicians and even some of their family members.

Three women who have loved ones fighting abroad stood outside of Old's home holding up signs to protest the burnings.

"Somebody's got to stand up for the troops," said Ashley Parsons.

Parsons' husband is fighting in Afghanistan. This is his fifth tour of duty. She said she thinks it is shameful someone would take the anniversary of a national tragedy and do something that both the president and military leaders have said could endanger troops fighting abroad.

"I was livid," Parsons said. " I was very angry. I was very angry, and I'm scared. I'm scared for my husband. I'm scared for my friends and everybody who protects us."

2 Local Men Burn Quran Despite Protest - Nashville News Story - WSMV Nashville

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
Even folks with sons or daughters serving in the U.S. military in the middleast that PROTEST the burnings on the BASIS of increased threats are in total ignorance and have fell hook line and sinker for the disinformation strategy being used by radical Islam.

Being SCARED of an increased threat from Islam is EXACTLY what their disinformation strategy is about! It is a TERRORIST strategy, and it simply doesn't work if their threat doesn't produce FEAR!

It is as if those same folks have FORGOTTEN why their sons and daughters are fighting over in the middleast. It is to QUELL radical Islam's threats of FEAR, so peaceful peoples can live in peace.

And many Americans have ALREADY sacrificed their LIVES in the middleast for that purpose. But for those folks who dwell in FEAR, their protests are showing how little they care about Americans that have died in fighting radical Islam.

Oreheart

Sep 13, 2010
Cristians went to the middle east to slaughter middle-easterns. = Good, Christianity is about peace.
A few middle-eastern people who's mental heath is questionable joined a terrorist organisation which has nothing to do with Islam, and did a terrible terrorist attack. = Islam is about violence! Let's burn their holy books, insult muslims and blaim all of them for something a few of them did. Islam is satans work!!!!!!!

Reason, where is it?

Reactions: truthquest

[email protected]

Choir Loft
Apr 2, 2009
West Central Florida
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I fear many are missing the real point of what this is about. It is a SIGN to take heed.

Islam is a religion of violence. That's the point those like Terry Jones are getting across, but many are instead listening to the rhetoric of appeasers, those who intend to allow Islam to build a mosque on the very spot where 9/11 occurred. They have yet to burn a Quran in Florida and already radical Islam is rioting and threatening ALL Americans in all countries. And if 9/11 was not part of Islamic aims, why would they want to build a mosque on that spot and especially use the name Cordoba for it? Cordoba, Spain is where the Islamic Moors made their capital when they took all of Spain back around 700 A.D. Islam is not just slapping America in the face, they have their sword drawn and intend to destroy us and Christianity.

Islamic followers in the middleast burned Bibles in public in 2007. In most Islamic nations it is illegal to even bring a Bible into the country. Our own government burned Bibles in Afghanistan as appeasement when they were brought in. And Islam wants to threaten anyone burning a Quran with international violence, especially against Americans? They're holding a knife to the appeaser's necks and they're too blind to recognize it.

Those who intend to turn the other cheek to Islamic radicals and let them come in and kill you and your whole family might want to get ready, for that's what they intend to do. If you think that will gain some of them to Christ by not standing up against them, then so be it, the time is close for that wish to come true, and that's the sign. It's time to decide whether we will be sheep or men.

In Luke 22, Christ told those of His disciples that didn't have a sword, to go buy one. Christ DID give us the inalienable right to defend ourselves, our family, and our lands.

I heartily agree with this post. 100%. In fact, I encourage everyone to read it again.
Christians are not supposed to defend themselves, but they ARE required to defend others.

Make no mistake, Islam IS a religion of violence.
The Qur'an REQUIRES VIOLENCE for conversion in general and against Jews and Christians in particular. I read it myself in the Qur'an.
If you think Islam is a peaceful religion, prove it by their own scripture.
You can not for it is not.

As far as Qur'an burning and American flag burning are concerned, the issues may be examined from two points of view.
American flag burning is illegal. One can serve jail time or be fined for doing so. Another example of the erosion of our liberties.
Book burning is not illegal. So far, it is legal to burn books and assemble peacefully for political reasons, religious reasons or for no reasons.

It is legal to burn the Qur'an. The question then may be asked as to whether it is appropriate. Most agree it isn't.

On the one hand, the Qur'an shouldn't be burned because Christians may loose credibility before the world (like....when did we ever have any ???).
On the other hand, some sort of demonstration of opposition to radical Islam does seem to be in order.
Something which does not identify with Christianity might be more appropriate. What that might be escapes me.