Eve's Children

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
bbyrd009 said:
c'mon Stranger, what do you think, i made that up? that's my idea? Or something? It is settled, among scholars; there is not even an argument to be made, wadr

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=is+genesis+mythology%3F&start=0

which page 1 is pretty much all useless now, goes right away from "mythology" and steers one right into "myth" (lie) arguments, all pointless. But about page 3 you start getting some decent perspectives. Or just answer for yourself the question i put to you; how did Moses know the generations back to Adam, in order to write them down. We know how. It isn't a puzzle. Just like ancients didn't bother writing down fiction, mythology did not bother with pointless entertainment, like we seek today. You have just been programmed to relate "mythology" to "lies" now, JRR Tolkein, the Hobbit, that is what "mythology" symbolizes to you. But those are just lies, they are not mythology. No Ancients were telling hobbit stories around campfires, they were too involved with survival. Mythology is intimately connected with truth, which no one can shoot an arrow right to, anyway. We all dance around the tree of truth.
That Scripture is considered mythology by some is not your idea. It's as old as Satan himself. "yea hath God said?"

I told you how Mose knew the generations back to Adam. God revealed it to him. Do you want me to say it again?

When you call what is stated in the Bible as myth, then that is a lie. The Bible is not myth; it is truth. Don't include me in your dance.

Stranger

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
S, a simple few clicks will reveal where the last five (fingers) of the Decalogue came from, ok. And it wasn't Moses, wadr. And it wasn't even Hammurabi, turns out, i guess. Prolly Babylon (which is not "bad," in this context)
Trekson said:
In the hopes of starting a conversation and not an argument, I'd like to restart the Genesis issue. I'm going to voice an opinion for starters. I believe that Eve could have had hundreds or thousands of children before Cain. What say you?
And when the Arnion of Elohim opened the second seal I heard as it were the sound of thunder: the second living being like a calf, saying, Come, and see! And there went forth another horse, fiery purros red, and power was given to the bear that was seated thereon to take peace from the Land, that they should maim and butcher one another, and there was given to it a great machaira sword of spiritual warfare. And the sun rose up, and tribulation arose because of the Word, and many man faced were scorched because they had no root: that which is dying let die, and that which is to be cut off let it be cut off. And the sevenfold voice of reverberation rumbled, Suppose I am come to send peace upon the Land? I tell you, No, but rather division. Think not that I am come to cast peace upon the Land; I came not to cast peace, but a machaira sword of spiritual warfare. For I am come to sever the man faced from his father: from henceforth there shall be five in one house divided; three against two and two against three. The father shall be divided over the son and the son over the father; the mother over the daughter and the daughter over the mother; the mother in law over her daughter in law and the daughter in law over her mother in law: And the enemies of a man shall be those of his own body temple household.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
bbyrd009

Scripture says it was God and Moses.

(Ex.24:4) "And Moses wrote all the words of the LORD, and rose up early in the morning..."

(Ex.34:1) "And the LORD said unto Moses, Hew thee two tables of stone like the first: and I will write upon these tables the words that were in the first tables, which thou brakest.)

(Ex.34:27-28) "And the LORD said unto Moses, Write thou these words: for after the tenor of these words I have made a covenant with thee and with Israel. And he was there with the LORD forty days and forty nights; he did neither eat bread, nor drink water. And he wrote upon the tables the words of the covenant, the ten commandments."

Stranger

shnarkle

Nov 10, 2013
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Mozzie said:
I was just thinking the age of her death, was not long after Adam, granted the Bible gives us the names of the their children it is possible as Genesis in in Chronological order, that she could have had more, i am thinking that would not the Bible have given is their names as well rather than just a few.??
Not likely when one looks at the fact that the bible is telling a story about those people Who God makes covenants with. He chooses certain people and the story is sticking with them. If there were others who God made covenants with they either could have written them down as well, or perhaps they just didn't know how to write, or maybe something happened to break the deal and God had to do some smiting....

shnarkle

Nov 10, 2013
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
bbyrd009 said:
c'mon Stranger, what do you think, i made that up? that's my idea? Or something? It is settled, among scholars; there is not even an argument to be made, wadr

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=is+genesis+mythology%3F&start=0

which page 1 is pretty much all useless now, goes right away from "mythology" and steers one right into "myth" (lie) arguments, all pointless. But about page 3 you start getting some decent perspectives. Or just answer for yourself the question i put to you; how did Moses know the generations back to Adam, in order to write them down. We know how. It isn't a puzzle. Just like ancients didn't bother writing down fiction, mythology did not bother with pointless entertainment, like we seek today. You have just been programmed to relate "mythology" to "lies" now, JRR Tolkein, the Hobbit, that is what "mythology" symbolizes to you. But those are just lies, they are not mythology. No Ancients were telling hobbit stories around campfires, they were too involved with survival. Mythology is intimately connected with truth, which no one can shoot an arrow right to, anyway. We all dance around the tree of truth.
Somewhere along the way mythologies picked up some negative baggage and people refer to the bible as myths as if that were a bad thing. Mythologies have always been perceived as having a wealth of explanatory power for teaching morals, life lessons, reality etc. I would say that Tolkein and Lewis's stories are probably meant to convey these same benefits as well. One of the great things about mythologies is that they can be interpreted on so many levels beginning with a literal interpretation. This seems to be where most people begin, and where quite a few can't seem to get beyond. This is unfortunate, especially when it becomes an obsession.

Reactions: bbyrd009

shnarkle

Nov 10, 2013
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Stranger said:
Adam and Eve really existed. All of mankind comes from Adam and Eve. Just as the Bible says. If that is not true, if it is just a story, then there is no value in it. It would all be a lie.

I believe you're on your 5th.

Stranger
I think people can get obsessed about better things than whether or not Adam and Eve actually existed. There may be something much more important than whether what scripture is portraying is historical fact or not. There are deeper truths in scripture than the historical accuracy of these events. For example, some have claimed that Adam and Eve are representative, not of just the first people; but the first people to have a relationship with God. Given that this theme does seem to be quite pervasive throughout the rest of scripture this is a compelling argument.

One of the most central features of Christianity is the resurrection. It's a hotly debated issue of whether or not this actually happened, but setting aside the historicity for a moment, what are some of the deeper meanings or themes? For example,If we look at Jesus' message of "deny yourself", and that he "emptied himself of his divinity", and couple this with his death, we see that he denied himself to the point of giving up his life. It doesn't end there though. We are then told to look into his grave and what do we see? Nothing, not even a body. One cannot empty themselves much more than with an empty grave. This is a powerful picture of selflessness. How much more emphatically could one get than that picture?

I can't tell you how many times some bible thumpers have come to my door and asked me to ponder the wonder of being raised from the dead, as if it were some carnival act. What they want me to effectively imagine is Jesus emerging from his tomb with arms wide open accompanied by the trumpet bursts of "TA-DA!"..

With this in mind what implications does this have on the command to "Love others as yourself"? or Love others as I have loved you? What about when Jesus says that if you have seen the Son, you have seen the Father? He then says that just as the Father is in the Son and vice versa, so to shall we be in him and he in us. So how often do you see Christ in your neighbor? Are you going out into the world and meeting or seeing Christ in the face of your fellow man? This is a radical message and one that is quite a bit more important than making sure the dates are right for a history quiz. Jesus says that his words are life itself; they live on eternally. They are the well spring of eternal life because he is the word incarnate. He's not putting on a magic act for our amusement or to convince us of the veracity of his statements. He is the manifestation of God's will in action.

Reactions: bbyrd009

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
nice. If one's faith descends from one's beliefs, instead of the other way around, one must then maintain rigid beliefs, i guess, or fear for their faith.
shnarkle said:
Somewhere along the way mythologies picked up some negative baggage and people refer to the bible as myths as if that were a bad thing. Mythologies have always been perceived as having a wealth of explanatory power for teaching morals, life lessons, reality etc. I would say that Tolkein and Lewis's stories are probably meant to convey these same benefits as well. One of the great things about mythologies is that they can be interpreted on so many levels beginning with a literal interpretation. This seems to be where most people begin, and where quite a few can't seem to get beyond. This is unfortunate, especially when it becomes an obsession.
ya...i guess smarter guys than me even note a different writing style when a Scriptural passage is said to be "mythology," which of course the whole Bible is not considered mythology, just some of the first couple of Books.