Evolution?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

JisaL

May 18, 2011
Can anyone give me reasons why evolution is false? They're teaching it in my school but at home we believe the biblical creation and the two don't seem to mix. They teach it as fact but is there any reason not to believe it?

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How about this......

The Creation story in the Bible is a revelation to Moses that was supposed to teach us about God's sovereignty and the human condition, not a science text on the creation of the Earth. The revelation took 7 days. It is a true story, but not literally true.

Evolution is not incapable with Christianity, just literalism.

Templar81

Apr 14, 2010
UK
I think you put that very well Aspen. I ususally claim to believe in both but have trouble balencing them. For many Christian, myself included the account of the fall of man given in Genesis is essential to one's faith in Christ. What I mean is that we have to believe that man and subsequently the world we live in is fallen. So without a fall we wouldn't need a redeemer. So wether Genesis is litteral or not we need to believe that there was a fall.

I think we also need to keep in mind that man is in the image of God, having in us the breath of God which makes our bodies temples of his Holy Spirit. Soometimes I have a hard time thinking of the evolution of man but I don't have a problem with the evolution of animals. Strange I know but we need as Christians to understand where man fell from in order to know what we're all trying to get back to . Maybe man could have evolved but we have to see that Adam and Eve weren't jsut animals, we have to udnerstand that man is the pinicle of God's creation, more perfect than the Angels and made in the very image of God. Wether God achieved this with clay or through evolution is not the point I'm trying to make but the fact that if we lean to heavily on evolutionary theory then we run the risk of ignoring the position of man in his (our) relation to God.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think you put that very well Aspen. I ususally claim to believe in both but have trouble balencing them. For many Christian, myself included the account of the fall of man given in Genesis is essential to one's faith in Christ. What I mean is that we have to believe that man and subsequently the world we live in is fallen. So without a fall we wouldn't need a redeemer. So wether Genesis is litteral or not we need to believe that there was a fall.

I think we also need to keep in mind that man is in the image of God, having in us the breath of God which makes our bodies temples of his Holy Spirit. Soometimes I have a hard time thinking of the evolution of man but I don't have a problem with the evolution of animals. Strange I know but we need as Christians to understand where man fell from in order to know what we're all trying to get back to . Maybe man could have evolved but we have to see that Adam and Eve weren't jsut animals, we have to udnerstand that man is the pinicle of God's creation, more perfect than the Angels and made in the very image of God. Wether God achieved this with clay or through evolution is not the point I'm trying to make but the fact that if we lean to heavily on evolutionary theory then we run the risk of ignoring the position of man in his (our) relation to God.

I totally agree with you about the Fall being essential. I also agree with you about being made in the image of God. Yeah, I have a hard time with all life evolving from nothing - I think the theory of evolution is quite primitive - it needs a lot more work.

One thing that I have noticed is that scientists are quite humble about what they do not know - admittedly they can be quite arrogant about what they do know, however; I think it is okay for Christians to be honest about what we do not know - we do not need to be defensive about it. Scientists sometimes have more faith that they will eventually find the evidence for their theories than we have about ultimately understanding the mysteries of God.

gregg

Oct 16, 2009
arab
we tend to as humans try to establish reasoning when we don't except GODS word, :rolleyes: created and evolved are two different words you are the one which must decide, whos :D understanding is right, :)

tomwebster

Dec 11, 2006
Can anyone give me reasons why evolution is false? They're teaching it in my school but at home we believe the biblical creation and the two don't seem to mix. They teach it as fact but is there any reason not to believe it?

It takes much more faith to believe in evolution. Just think for a while. Unplug your computers mouse. Now through the mouse up in the air until it accidently reconnect with your computer. Now think about your hand and all your body parts, what are the chances they all feel together just right to make you. And then someone to mate with to create another person. How complex is this earth and solar system. Was it chance, an accident. Seems far easier to believe in a God and creation. They can't even figure out what caused the BANG!

Robbie

Jan 4, 2011
Huntington Beeach
Yeah... I believe God created everything in seven days through His Word... I know that doesn't agree with man's perception based on scientific study... but neither does raising the dead through His Word, healing the sick through His Word, turning water into wine through His Word, changing weather through His Word, saving humanity through His Word, etc...

The thing that I've dealt with the most when it comes to this topic is egocentric christians that talk to me like I'm retarded and go on and on about how I'm so ignorant and how I should believe in evolution and not take Genesis literally... it's like believe whatever you want about it... and I'll believe whatever I want... I mean does it really matter? Is God going to reject me because I take the account in Genesis literally? IS He going to be like, "In order to be saved you needed to believe in Jesus and trust mans perception developed through scientific study" haha... don't think so... however the one thing I always take into account... is if everything was literally created through Jesus then by not acknowledging that we could be guilty of denying the Lord the Glory He deserves. But that's between God and people. The only thing I can do is believe what I think is right...

As far as other theories like Survival of the fittest... I have no problem accepting that principle as a reality but I also see a contradicting principle which is the strong take care of the weak... I believe that principle is what elevates man above simple animals... I believe that principle comes from God... and can also be summed up as Love your neighbor as yourself. But yeah... I see Darwin's theory is obviously prevalent even in the christian business world where two churches are competing over market share and one church goes out of business while the other church thrives... so funny to listen to a pastor reject Darwin's theory when their churches success is based on capitalism.. haha

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah... I believe God created everything in seven days through His Word... I know that doesn't agree with man's perception based on scientific study... but neither does raising the dead through His Word, healing the sick through His Word, turning water into wine through His Word, changing weather through His Word, saving humanity through His Word, etc...

The thing that I've dealt with the most when it comes to this topic is egocentric christians that talk to me like I'm retarded and go on and on about how I'm so ignorant and how I should believe in evolution and not take Genesis literally... it's like believe whatever you want about it... and I'll believe whatever I want... I mean does it really matter? Is God going to reject me because I take the account in Genesis literally? IS He going to be like, "In order to be saved you needed to believe in Jesus and trust mans perception developed through scientific study" haha... don't think so... however the one thing I always take into account... is if everything was literally created through Jesus then by not acknowledging that we could be guilty of denying the Lord the Glory He deserves. But that's between God and people. The only thing I can do is believe what I think is right...

As far as other theories like Survival of the fittest... I have no problem accepting that principle as a reality but I also see a contradicting principle which is the strong take care of the weak... I believe that principle is what elevates man above simple animals... I believe that principle comes from God... and can also be summed up as Love your neighbor as yourself. But yeah... I see Darwin's theory is obviously prevalent even in the christian business world where two churches are competing over market share and one church goes out of business while the other church thrives... so funny to listen to a pastor reject Darwin's theory when their churches success is based on capitalism.. haha

No offense brother, but you've got a 'I must be retarded complex'. I view you as intelligent, with a heart after Jesus. Disagreements are bound to happen, but that is fine with me - and I know your post wasn't directed at me, but I thought I would comment anyway.

What I have a problem with is being labelled a heretic for not viewing the nonessential creation story literally. Out of one side of the Pharisee's mouth I hear "All you need is Jesus!", while the other side is taking inventory on all the nonessential aspects of religion that I enjoy thinking about. Crazy.

WhiteKnuckle

Mar 29, 2009
Tom has a great point and a great analogy.

I worked at a place called Skulls Unlimited. The owner is an athiest and believes in evolution same with just about everyone that works there.

One day I got into a discussion about evolution vs creation. The owners reasoning was this.

"I believe in evolution because everything is too perfect. It all fits together and works together. It couldn't have been created."

Think about that.

One thing I like is Toxoplasma Gondii. It's a parasite that only breeds in cats stomachs. When the cat deficates the parasites come out with it. When rats or mice eat the feces and ingest the parasite it messes with the brain of the rodents. When the parasite attacks the brain of the rodents, it causes them to seek out cats and the cats eat the rodent. The cycle starts all over again.

How would that be accidental?

What about moths? There's a parasite that lives only in one "ear" of the moth. If the parasite gets in both ears the moth can't fly and eventually dies. This parasite seems to know this and only goes in one "ear".

How does it know that?

Evolution gives some very convincing arguments and some of them seem to make sense. But, if you look closer you can see that every creature on it's own with out mans interference lives perfectly and is balanced perfectly. It's by design. To me it's obvious.

Oh yeah, and,

Cause the Bible says so! :lol:

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It takes much more faith to believe in evolution. Just think for a while. Unplug your computers mouse. Now through the mouse up in the air until it accidently reconnect with your computer. Now think about your hand and all your body parts, what are the chances they all feel together just right to make you. And then someone to mate with to create another person. How complex is this earth and solar system. Was it chance, an accident. Seems far easier to believe in a God and creation. They can't even figure out what caused the BANG!

It is not a matter of which story is more plausible, for me. It comes down to God's character - is God the type of personage to bury bones and create rock formations and rings in trees that indicate an old Earth, on purpose? Just to screw with us? We are limited enough as it is - why would God go to such elaborate lengths to confuse and mislead us? The Bible tells us that God is not the author of confusion and I believe it. Also, why would God create intelligent people if He wanted them all to burn in Hell for using their minds?

Robbie

Jan 4, 2011
Huntington Beeach
Not a complex Aspen... a complex is something that's based more off irrational perception... I'm just sharing actual experiences... and I've literally had christian call me stupid for taking the account in Genesis literal... haha... but yeah... it would probably be equally annoying if I didn't take it literal and someone started calling me the devil... so I hear ya...

Robbie

Jan 4, 2011
Huntington Beeach
These are the order of my personal thoughts... my reasoning about the subject.... not directed at anyone else... just a run down of how my mind works...

Wasn't the account of the fall of man based on the principle that man trusted his perception instead of what God said?

Isn't the whole theory of evolution based on man's perception?

Isn't the account of creation in Genesis and John attributed to God's Word... to Jesus...

If the accounts are true and I rejected them based on holding scientific study as the authority would I be continuing the same pattern of rejecting God's Word based on human perception that caused Adam and Eve to fall in the first place.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
These are the order of my personal thoughts... my reasoning about the subject.... not directed at anyone else... just a run down of how my mind works...

Wasn't the account of the fall of man based on the principle that man trusted his perception instead of what God said?

Isn't the whole theory of evolution based on man's perception?

Isn't the account of creation in Genesis and John attributed to God's Word... to Jesus...

If the accounts are true and I rejected them based on holding scientific study as the authority would I be continuing the same pattern of rejecting God's Word based on human perception that caused Adam and Eve to fall in the first place.

And yet, all truth is God's truth. Galileo made discoveries about our galaxy that did not match up to the conventional understanding of the Biblical scholars of his time. We now know Galileo was right.

All I am saying is we can mess up in our understanding of nature and the Bible.

tomwebster

Dec 11, 2006
Tom has a great point and a great analogy.

What about moths? There's a parasite that lives only in one "ear" of the moth. If the parasite gets in both ears the moth can't fly and eventually dies. This parasite seems to know this and only goes in one "ear".

How does it know that?

Oh, come on, that's easy! They send the next generation a text message :)

Robbie

Jan 4, 2011
Huntington Beeach
haha.... I don't even care about all that creationist vs evolutionist battle of the egos bull... and I've also never cared whether someone was a scholar when it comes to the bible... I believe understanding the scriptures comes from Christ within opening them up... not paying money to study theology at some school and getting taught by men... I definitely would never try to figure out space by reading the old testament... but I do believe the simplicity that God spoke life into existence as Genesis accounted and as John testified to and as the writer of Hebrews testified to... not trying to think beyond anything other than that... which is where I think men tend to run into problems... and the never ending circular argument of creation vs evolution goes on and on and on usually ending with ego that sides with evolution calling the other side stupid and the ego that sides with creation calling the other side the devil... haha

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
haha.... I don't even care about all that creationist vs evolutionist battle of the egos bull... and I've also never cared whether someone was a scholar when it comes to the bible... I believe understanding the scriptures comes from Christ within opening them up... not paying money to study theology at some school and getting taught by men... I definitely would never try to figure out space by reading the old testament... but I do believe the simplicity that God spoke life into existence as Genesis accounted and as John testified to and as the writer of Hebrews testified to... not trying to think beyond anything other than that... which is where I think men tend to run into problems... and the never ending circular argument of creation vs evolution goes on and on and on usually ending with ego that sides with evolution calling the other side stupid and the ego that sides with creation calling the other side the devil... haha

I think investing our egos in truth or theories is the problem. Lots of academics have come up with theories that eventually get outdated or even disproved, but they simply cannot let go of their 'work' and become irrelevant.

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
I don't claim to be a scientist, nor a geologist, but history of the earth's layers gives evidence of a creation. There are no fossil evidences for a gradual evolving over time, but a springing forth of life. This is why evolutionists center much of their goals on trying find fossils of supposed missing links of humans evolving at various stages. They have yet to prove any such missing link.

Templar81

Apr 14, 2010
UK
At the end of the day there needs to be some give way on both sides. We need to remind ourselves that there is evidence that the world is older than 6,000 and aside from evolution there is overwhelming evidence for the earth being odler than 6,000. As Aspen rightly pointed out that the Genesis account is God's relevation to man, it issn't a strict account though the themes of man being the crown of creation and the fall of man are truths that come to us through this story. What i mean is that it isn't just a story but it isn't a step by step itinary or a science book either. I'm prepareed to take the creation fairly litterally in one sense because it doesn't actually run into that much conflict with evolutionary theory. For example it say's that God created the plants, animals and brids but it doesn't go into the means by which he did it. It doesn't say that God made them out of clay or dust like he did Adam, so there is room there I think to accommodate evolutionary theory. But as I said before I do have trouble with the evolution of man, I know there are fossils of pre-historic monkey men but how they fit in with Adam and Eve is a mystery. However I believ e that God works in mysterious ways and that we humans living in our fallen world cannot make complete sense of everything, no matter how much science and logic we apply.

As for the evolutionists, and I mean die-hards like Ricahrd Dawkins need to udnerstand that what they believe needs faith, afterall evolution is just a theory and maybe one day they will come up with something else.

lawrance

Mar 30, 2011
The Socialist and Como's push this rubbish of man being evolving from an ape and they have to push it because it is vital to their cause as they reject Christ.

Christ has to be out of the way because he is a threat to them and their cunning under handed lies as these people desperately try to drag everyone down to there filthy clutches then you will be treated the way they would treat a animal.