"Expelled", an example of dishonesty among creationists

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

River Jordan

Jan 30, 2014
ChristianJuggarnaut said:
For millennials, like River, the real world doesn't exist unless it meets the specific criteria by which they define it. Something as basic as the truth therefore, becomes a micro aggression.
Your lame attempt at ad hominem is noted.

The truth is (and if they actually get a job teaching, they will experience this) that any contract teaching position application asks you the question, Have you ever been terminated from a contract position or failed to have your contract renewed?
News flash for ya.....I have taught. And adjuncts not having their contracts renewed is a common practice. Lots of universities abuse the system that way.
In the delusional world of the pacific north west, a Christian can call someone a filthy liar as long as it is not technically slander.
I've documented where she lied, and you continue to dodge the following....

If she was blacklisted and unable to work anywhere, how then do you explain the fact that she continued to teach at NVCC?

We both know why you and all the other creationists here have been dodging that question for days; there is no answer other than "she lied".

By the way, you're still taking both positions.

1. She wasn't fired for teaching the controversy.
2. She not only was but should be.
We've been over this. I explained, you just ignored what I posted, and now are repeating the same thing as if no one had said anything to you. I guess this is the sort of thing that creationism forces you to do.

You have not answered any of my arguments against your position.
I've answered every single thing you've posted to me. You OTOH can't answer this one question: If she was blacklisted and unable to work anywhere, how then do you explain the fact that she continued to teach at NVCC?

So you can stop projecting your dishonesty onto me.

River Jordan

Jan 30, 2014
Wormwood said:
Well, when someone has been under multiple successive contracts for a long time
Was she? According to GMU she was a part-time lecturer and her contract was merely on a course-by-course basis. In the article I posted in the OP the GMU spokesman said her contract was not renewed "for reasons unrelated to her views on intelligent design".

and then they are reprimanded about the content of their course and find their contract not renewed...yes, you can tell them they have been fired.
That'll be news to a lot of adjuncts. :eek:

I know a professor who was under successive contracts by the same university for 30 years and had his contract not renewed due to massive budget cuts by the university.
Was that the case with C. Crocker?

Most academic professionals assume their contracts will be renewed. They arent looking for a new job every time their current contract is coming to a close. That is not how the system works.
Do you have any support for your assertion that "most" part-time adjuncts on a course-by-course contract assume their contracts will be renewed?

I assume the point was that the word got out from the university that fired/didnt renew her and she was unable to get any new work when that had never been a problem before. Part time work at a community college isnt exactly a career or a place to hang your hat as an academic. I think the point was that she had a lot of experience and extensive education and qualifications and suddenly after being "reprimanded" no other university would consider hiring her from that point forward. I mean, Im sure she could find "work" at the local pump n' dump gas station, but I think that is missing the point the documentary is trying to make.
You assume? Well that certainly says a lot.

Since she was merely on a part-time, course-by-course contract with GMU, that's not really all that different than teaching at NVCC (in fact, if she had a full time position at NVCC, that would be a promotion). Neither are secure, good-paying positions. So your assumption just doesn't line up with the facts. Despite the film's claims that her career came to an "abrupt end" after merely "mentioning intelligent design", the fact is she continued to be able to find equivalent work.

Yes, thats the point of the documentary. You cannot have a different opinion from Darwinian evolution and teach in a college classroom anymore.
Because that's not how science works. Look at previous scientific revolutions....relativity, plate tectonics, neutral theory....did any of them bypass the peer-review process and proceed straight to being taught in introductory level college courses? Of course not. They all did the necessary work to convince their colleagues, which eventually led to the material being taught in classrooms. But creationists want to skip all that hard scientific work stuff and take their ideas directly to classrooms. No research, no peer-review, nothing.....just "Hey, we thought of this, now let's teach it to students!"

You have to fit the "consensus" or you get labeled and rejected.
No. If you don't agree with the consensus then you have to do the work necessary to convince your colleagues. And yes, it can be a long, painful, and brutal process. But that's how science keeps from descending into an "anything you can think of is valid" endeavor.

See, this whole thing can be generally summed up as, science has standards and creationists can't meet those standards. But rather than try and meet those standards, creationists cry foul at being expected to meet them, and claim "persecution" when scientists don't waive the standards for them.

Its not "revolutionary ideas" but just a view that does not accept the idea that Darwinian evolution from a pool of goo adequately explains what we understand about biology, life and the origin of species.
Are you serious? :eek: Evolutionary theory is the fundamental framework of all the life sciences. Overturning that would be the single biggest event in the history of the life sciences!

The theory is now mandated if you are to teach. You are not allowed to have or promote an alternate opinion. Something is wrong with that picture. Its not like the lady is claiming pigs can fly. She's saying she disagrees with a textbooks position on a past theory of biological development. What? We cannot allow that? Give me a break. I have had tons of professors go on about politics and religion in their classes (when that isnt even the subject that is supposed to be taught) and no one blinks an eye. But disagree with Darwin? Not allowed. Its troubling. Every professor I have ever known has personal opinions that dont fit the status quo, but for some reason this particular status quo is not allowed to be questioned.
You know, I hear the same thing happens when professors try and teach flat-earth geocentrism. Those darned round-earth heliocentrists just won't allow other viewpoints in!!

Seriously though, just what are you expecting? All other revolutionary scientific ideas had to go through the grueling process of data collection, research, peer-review, and extreme scrutiny before they ever got taught in classrooms. Are you honestly arguing that ID creationism should be allowed to bypass all that and go straight to being taught in classrooms? If so, why?

Lol. Yeah, well I guess you are a big fat liar too. I mean, we all have lied, right? Does that give me the right to go make everyone I know think ill about you and your character?
You're dodging. If you're going to accuse me of slander, then at least show where I've said something that's not true.

Sheesh....what is it with some of you and your love of throwing around baseless accusations? Do you have no morals about such things at all? <_<

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Was she? According to GMU she was a part-time lecturer and her contract was merely on a course-by-course basis. In the article I posted in the OP the GMU spokesman said her contract was not renewed "for reasons unrelated to her views on intelligent design".
I have been an adjunct at a local university for about 3 years. I think if they came to me and scolded me for my teaching and then I found I was no longer wanted to teach that class (and asked me to sign a paper that changed my teaching load without me knowing what the contract entailed), it would be hard to assume anything but what she assumes. Maybe the university is right and it was just some very weird coincidence. Or, maybe the university is trying to save face because they dont like being the center of such controversy. I just know if you were employed somewhere and you got in trouble for something and found you were no longer needed at that job and they had kinda pulled one over on you, you would like put 2 and 2 together and assume the two things are at least somewhat related. I just dont think she is a "liar" as you are painting her to be.

That'll be news to a lot of adjuncts. :eek:
Well, when you have signed a three year contract, and the dean gets a complaint about your questioning of darwinism and he asks you to sign a new, altered, 1 year teaching load without explaining to you what you were signing...then yeah, one would have to question. Either way, the situation ultimately devolves to a "he said-she said" type of argument. Of course the Darwinians are going to say shes a big fat liar and there is nothing to her story and will write as much ad nauseum. However, what is clear is that she is an ID supporter, she was reprimanded by the university for her content in the class and the university altered her contract...apparently in a way that she felt was underhanded and deceptive. Obviously you wont believe her because you dont like her views. But it seems like a smoking gun to me... I guess someone can always argue that "the glove dont fit so you have to acquit" in spite of what basic common sense suggests.

Do you have any support for your assertion that "most" part-time adjuncts on a course-by-course contract assume their contracts will be renewed?
Clearly she did. Moreover, she had signed a 3 year contract. According to her, she was asked to sign some additional paperwork about her contract, not being told that the new paperwork essentially restructured her contract to stop her teaching "abruptly." But maybe shes just lying.

You assume? Well that certainly says a lot.
Way to dodge the point with semantics.

Because that's not how science works. Look at previous scientific revolutions....relativity, plate tectonics, neutral theory....did any of them bypass the peer-review process and proceed straight to being taught in introductory level college courses? Of course not.
Ahh, there we go again. Darwinism is equal to plate tectonics. Uh huh. Creationism is akin to hocus pocus and voodoo. The fact that you think this way makes these conversations impossible. The point is that neither of these theories are the same as teaching gravity or DNA. Both are speculations based on the same evidence. Now, you would conclude (as would most in the universities) that the evidence we have most properly points to Darwinism as the most logical explanation, but some disagree. The point is that teachers are not allowed to disagree about the origin of species. I mean, a teacher can stand up and say, "Hey, now your history textbook says this about the rationale behind the start of the Civil War. However, some other historians disagree and feel that there were some other key factors that led to this war. I personally agree with these other sources and do not hold to this author's view for the following reasons...." This happens ALL THE TIME in the classroom. Professors ALWAYS have dissenting opinions from the norm based on their personal study and expertise. Yet, no one can disagree with Darwin. This isnt about peer-reviews. It is about someone who teaches the same facts but has different conclusions about what led to those facts. You just cant seem to get your head around this concept.

No. If you don't agree with the consensus then you have to do the work necessary to convince your colleagues.
Give me a break. Have you ever taken a college course before? Since when does every teacher teach everything exactly by the book and the consensus opinion on every topic? Um, never. I have never had a class where the professor says, "I and every true scholar holds to every point in this textbook and if they dont, they should not be allowed to teach." Pure nonsense.

Are you serious? :eek: Evolutionary theory is the fundamental framework of all the life sciences. Overturning that would be the single biggest event in the history of the life sciences!
Yes, here you go again, crossing your imaginary line between life sciences and what we know of molecular biology and Darwin's imagined drawings of ooze turning into all living things. The two are not the same and you know it. You are intentionally overstating your case which makes these conversations pointless. It is like me saying that Arminianism is the fundamental framework for all biblical studies and to ignore it would be to completely demolish all meaningful theological and biblical studies. Um, while I might be an Arminian, that's just a tad bit overstated which makes the whole discussion ridiculous from that point. You have so painted yourself into a corner with your narrow thinking that it is helpless to even attempt to get you to sympathize or identify with someone who might even slightly disagree with you. It is this kind of thinking that caused the movie to be made and you are doing nothing but validating everything the movie argues.

You're dodging. If you're going to accuse me of slander, then at least show where I've said something that's not true.
Im not dodging, I am making a point you are ignoring. You claim she is a liar to discredit everything she says. However, her claim is that the university asked her to sign some paperwork about her contract (which was a 3 year contract) which restructured her contract to stop after the semester was ended (after she has been reprimanded for her rejection of Darwinism). She was not told that this is what the paperwork said and so (according to her) she was misled. So yes, her contract expired. But that is not really her point or argument. So we dont know if she is a liar. She's saying she was duped and it came on the heels of being reprimanded over the Darwinism content of her course...and the video simply says that she was reprimanded on the subject and then her teaching there came to an abrupt end. There is nothing that is a lie here..at least nothing you can prove. So, you are calling her a liar and you dont really know that to be the case. What we do know is 1. she was repremanded for teaching ID concepts in her course 2. her contract came to an abrupt end very shortly after this issue arose 3. she was not reinstated after that time. 4. she was unable to get new teaching jobs after this when previously this had not been a problem for her. Now, maybe its all a coincidence, but you dont know she is a liar. If anything, her statements have all been shown true and her belief is that these events all occurred due to her views about ID. Maybe her assumption is incorrect, but it seems HIGHLY unlikely due to the way things apparently unfolded with the contract, etc. But its just so much easier to call her a liar. Seems to be your MO for pretty much any person quoted who disagrees with you on this....you always go back to, "they are a documented liar!" Crocker, Behe, Meyer...on an on. So easy to dismiss them all...just call them liars. smh

River Jordan

Jan 30, 2014
Wormwood said:
I have been an adjunct at a local university for about 3 years. I think if they came to me and scolded me for my teaching and then I found I was no longer wanted to teach that class (and asked me to sign a paper that changed my teaching load without me knowing what the contract entailed), it would be hard to assume anything but what she assumes.
Thank you for acknowledging that she was assuming. That's quite a bit different than how the film depicted it, isn't it?

Well, when you have signed a three year contract, and the dean gets a complaint about your questioning of darwinism and he asks you to sign a new, altered, 1 year teaching load without explaining to you what you were signing...then yeah, one would have to question.
And the university spokesman said it had nothing to do with her views on ID creationism.

Either way, the situation ultimately devolves to a "he said-she said" type of argument.
Only on the question of why her contract wasn't renewed. But we do know that her claims of being "blacklisted to the point of not being able to work" are false. I guess you could argue that she'd just forgotten about teaching at NVCC, but that's a pretty bizarre stretch.

Obviously you wont believe her because you dont like her views.
I don't believe her because the facts directly contradict her claims. She wasn't fired, she wasn't blacklisted, she continued to work, and she did teach creationism.

Clearly she did.
That's not what I asked. I asked for some actual evidence for your claim that most people in her part-time, course-by-course position assume their contracts will be renewed.

Way to dodge the point with semantics.
Way to try and backpeddle from acknowledging that your support of her is based on assumption.

Ahh, there we go again. Darwinism is equal to plate tectonics. Uh huh. Creationism is akin to hocus pocus and voodoo. The fact that you think this way makes these conversations impossible. The point is that neither of these theories are the same as teaching gravity or DNA. Both are speculations based on the same evidence.
This is what's so bizarre about creationists (among other things). It's one thing for you guys to say you don't accept evolutionary theory, but to actually try and say it's nothing more than "speculation" that has the same scientific status as creationism? That's sooooooooooo detached from reality, it's difficult to respond to.

I mean, look through THIS LIST of scientific organizations that have voiced their support of evolution and denounced creationism as pseudoscience. Not only that, look at all the discoveries and research results I've posted here that directly stem from evolutionary theory.

Now compare that to the absolute and complete lack of support for creationism from any scientific organization in the entire world, plus the absolute and complete lack of discoveries and scientific revelations that stem from creationism going back to at least the mid-1800's.

Do you understand my baffled reaction to your assertion that evolutionary theory and creationism are scientifically on par with each other?

Now, you would conclude (as would most in the universities) that the evidence we have most properly points to Darwinism as the most logical explanation, but some disagree.
So what? "Some disagree" that the earth moves. "Some disagree" that our politicians are human. Are you saying that every viewpoint that's held by "some" should be taught in university classrooms?

The point is that teachers are not allowed to disagree about the origin of species.
Sure you can. You just need to vet your arguments through the scientific community before you start teaching it in classrooms. That lead to the question you ignored: Are you honestly arguing that ID creationism should be allowed to bypass data collection, research, and peer review, and go straight to being taught in classrooms? If so, why?

I mean, a teacher can stand up and say, "Hey, now your history textbook says this about the rationale behind the start of the Civil War. However, some other historians disagree and feel that there were some other key factors that led to this war. I personally agree with these other sources and do not hold to this author's view for the following reasons...." This happens ALL THE TIME in the classroom. Professors ALWAYS have dissenting opinions from the norm based on their personal study and expertise.
That depends. Does the alternative explanation for the Civil War violate the fundamental operational framework of history? Has the alternative been overwhelmingly rejected by the historical community, even to the point of losing a court case?

Yet, no one can disagree with Darwin. This isnt about peer-reviews. It is about someone who teaches the same facts but has different conclusions about what led to those facts. You just cant seem to get your head around this concept.
How about you describe the process by which you think administrators should decide what is and isn't allowed to be taught?

Give me a break. Have you ever taken a college course before? Since when does every teacher teach everything exactly by the book and the consensus opinion on every topic? Um, never. I have never had a class where the professor says, "I and every true scholar holds to every point in this textbook and if they dont, they should not be allowed to teach." Pure nonsense.
Really? So a history teacher can teach that the holocaust was a hoax? A civics teacher can teach that government leaders are reptilian aliens? A cosmology teacher can teach that the earth is flat and doesn't move?

If not, then you really need to describe the process by which you think administrators should decide what is and isn't allowed to be taught. Otherwise you're just playing a dishonest game where you don't mind your fringe beliefs being taught even though they've been overwhelmingly rejected by the experts in the field, but don't allow other fringe beliefs the same consideration.

Yes, here you go again, crossing your imaginary line between life sciences and what we know of molecular biology and Darwin's imagined drawings of ooze turning into all living things. The two are not the same and you know it. You are intentionally overstating your case which makes these conversations pointless.
So your argument here is that evolutionary theory just isn't all that important in the life sciences. I'd like you to read through the following material from the National Academies of Sciences (the most prestigious scientific organization in the world) and explain why anyone should accept your unsupported assertion above over their highly-qualified position.

http://www.nas.edu/evolution/

Im not dodging, I am making a point you are ignoring. You claim she is a liar to discredit everything she says.
I've not merely "claimed" she is lying, I've demonstrated where she has lied (she wasn't fired, she wasn't blacklisted to the point of not being able to work, and she taught creationism). As shown above, your rebuttal is to "assume" otherwise. Forgive me if I don't find that compelling.

However, her claim is that the university asked her to sign some paperwork about her contract (which was a 3 year contract) which restructured her contract to stop after the semester was ended (after she has been reprimanded for her rejection of Darwinism). She was not told that this is what the paperwork said and so (according to her) she was misled. So yes, her contract expired. But that is not really her point or argument.
Yes it was. Did you watch the movie?

"So we dont know if she is a liar. She's saying she was duped and it came on the heels of being reprimanded over the Darwinism content of her course...and the video simply says that she was reprimanded on the subject and then her teaching there came to an abrupt end. There is nothing that is a lie here..at least nothing you can prove."

No, no, no. The film directly said she was "fired", and was "blacklisted and unable to find a job anywhere". We know for a fact that she wasn't fired and she was able to find work at NVCC. Did you even watch the movie?

And how can "she was unable to find work anywhere" be true if she was able to find work at NVCC?

"What we do know is 1. she was repremanded for teaching ID concepts in her course 2. her contract came to an abrupt end very shortly after this issue arose 3. she was not reinstated after that time."

And none of that constitutes being fired.

"she was unable to get new teaching jobs after this when previously this had not been a problem for her."

????????? Then how did she end up at NVCC? :wacko:

"Now, maybe its all a coincidence, but you dont know she is a liar. If anything, her statements have all been shown true and her belief is that these events all occurred due to her views about ID. Maybe her assumption is incorrect, but it seems HIGHLY unlikely due to the way things apparently unfolded with the contract, etc. But its just so much easier to call her a liar. Seems to be your MO for pretty much any person quoted who disagrees with you on this....you always go back to, "they are a documented liar!" Crocker, Behe, Meyer...on an on. So easy to dismiss them all...just call them liars. smh"

This is why I like working with kids. They see her claim she was blacklisted and unable to find work anywhere, compare that to the fact that she was able to find a job doing the exact same thing at another college, and reach the obvious, objective conclusion....she's lying. They don't process things in such an obviously tribal manner.

But just as you did above regarding the relative status of evolutionary theory and creationism within the scientific community, you've somehow managed to convince yourself that reality is the opposite of what it actually is.

River Jordan

Jan 30, 2014
She wasn't.
Even though she said she was.

But she should have been.
Yup.

I've never seen anything like this on here. Not even from River.
Are you incapable of processing two thoughts at the same time? And I'm sure we've been over this before.....yup, we sure have.

How about answering the question: If she was blacklisted and unable to work anywhere, how then do you explain the fact that she continued to teach at NVCC?

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's quite a bit different than how the film depicted it, isn't it?
Nope. The film stated she was reprimanded for her ID ideas and her teaching there came to an abrupt end. Thats about the size of it.

And the university spokesman said it had nothing to do with her views on ID creationism.
Yes, and OJ said he was innocent.

Only on the question of why her contract wasn't renewed. But we do know that her claims of being "blacklisted to the point of not being able to work" are false.
It wasnt only not renewed...she was deceived into altering the 3 year contract she had previously signed. Thinking she was updating paperwork, the dean was deceptively having her sign a shortened contract...which just so happened to be right after her getting in trouble for her views. Its not false. She could find no new jobs after this incident. Kinda weird for a PhD. I know you like to count the community college as significant work, but give me a break. I dont even think you have to have any graduate credits to work at a community college...and no one is paying close attention to silly little community college course loads. I know you are smarter than this.

She wasn't fired, she wasn't blacklisted, she continued to work, and she did teach creationism.
From my understanding, she was duped into signing a shorter contract so she could be let go (thats even worse than being fired), she could find no new work which had not previously been a problem. She taught what was in the textbook, but she challenged the textbooks claims when it referenced Darwinism as the means of the origins of all life. I dont think the film misrepresented anything. As I pointed out, it said she was reprimanded for her rejection of Darwinism and her teaching came to an abrupt end. After that she could get no new jobs from other universities. Of course you will only see what you want to see.

voiced their support of evolution and denounced creationism as pseudoscience. Not only that, look at all the discoveries and research results I've posted here that directly stem from evolutionary theory.
Yes, I see how you get your information from the "defending the teaching of evolution..." website. Of course, if I cite anything from a "creationist" website, then you cry foul. The hypocrisy is baffling.

Really? So a history teacher can teach that the holocaust was a hoax? A civics teacher can teach that government leaders are reptilian aliens?
More of your overexaggeration nonsense. The fact that you would compare the rejection of the notion that our present understanding of biology could allow for DNA to self assemble and cells to form and reproduce by a random chance collision of particles with a civics teacher arguing that our government consists of "reptilian aliens" shows that you are beyond the scope of rational discussion. I'll bow out now. I have better things to do with my time.

ChristianJuggarnaut

Feb 20, 2012
Ok I think we can come to an agreement.

Expelled, The Movie is spot on in its depiction of the state of scientific academia.

The wording of one of the examples lends itself to semantic interpretation.

River Jordan

Jan 30, 2014
WW,

It's fascinating to me how you're so willing to give the benefit of the doubt to those in your tribe, while at the same time you automatically assume those outside your tribe aren't telling the truth, even though you have no evidence to support it. I see it this way....

The Creationist Viewpoint

Claim: Caroline Crocker merely mentioned ID

The facts: The material she taught, as documented in the WaPo article in the OP and the slides from her lectures, constitute much more than merely "mentioning intelligent design". She also taught creationist talking points such as trashing Charles Darwin (calling him a "rich kid who enjoyed partying"), there are no transitional fossils, that "scientists are confused" about evolution, that "macroevolution" is a different process where a "dog turns into a cat in the lab", that humans are not related to other primates, the scientific community is committing fraud by promoting evolution, the scientific community is instituting an atheistic agenda, evolution = Nazism, evolution = atheism, and a host of other long-falsified creationist nonsense (much of which was a rehash of J. Wells' "Icons of Evolution".....well, lies). Specific to ID creationism, she taught that ID creationism was an alternative scientific explanation, that "many scientists" believed it, and that it was a better explanation than evolution, We also know that despite claiming to teach the "strengths and weaknesses of evolution", she only taught the "weaknesses" (which are the creationist talking points above).

Creationist response: No real response on this claim.

Claim: Crocker's academic career came to an abrupt end for merely mentioning ID

The facts: Crocker was a part-time adjunct on a course-by-course contract. When that contract expired, it was not renewed. A GMU spokesman said it was not due to her views on ID creationism.

Creationist response: Not having your contract renewed is the same thing as being fired. Also, she was "duped" into signing a different, shorter contract. Finally, the GMU spokesman is lying.

Claim: Crocker was then blacklisted to the point where she could not find a job anywhere

The facts: There is no evidence of any blacklisting. Crocker continued to teach at Northern Virginia Community College.

Creationist response: She was blacklisted. The NVCC job doesn't count because it's not the same job and it wasn't a new job.

The Science Advocate Viewpoint

Claim: Caroline Crocker merely mentioned ID

The facts: The material she taught, as documented in the WaPo article in the OP and the slides from her lectures, constitute much more than merely "mentioning intelligent design". She also taught creationist talking points such as trashing Charles Darwin (calling him a "rich kid who enjoyed partying"), there are no transitional fossils, that "scientists are confused" about evolution, that "macroevolution" is a different process where a "dog turns into a cat in the lab", that humans are not related to other primates, the scientific community is committing fraud by promoting evolution, the scientific community is instituting an atheistic agenda, evolution = Nazism, evolution = atheism, and a host of other long-falsified creationist nonsense (much of which was a rehash of J. Wells' "Icons of Evolution".....well, lies). Specific to ID creationism, she taught that ID creationism was an alternative scientific explanation, that "many scientists" believed it, and that it was a better explanation than evolution, We also know that despite claiming to teach the "strengths and weaknesses of evolution", she only taught the "weaknesses" (which are the creationist talking points above).

SA response: The documented evidence clearly shows she taught long-falsified creationist talking points, as well as directly advocated and promoted ID creationism.

Claim: Crocker's academic career came to an abrupt end for merely mentioning ID

The facts: Crocker was a part-time adjunct on a course-by-course contract. When that contract expired, it was not renewed. A GMU spokesman said it was not due to her views on ID creationism.

SA response: Part-time, course-by-course adjuncts don't get their contracts renewed all the time. Her career did not come to an "abrupt end"; she finished her contract at GMU and continued to teach at NVCC. There is zero evidence that she was "duped" into signing a different, shorter contract. There is no evidence showing that the GMU spokesman was lying.

Claim: Crocker was then blacklisted to the point where she could not find a job anywhere

The facts: There is no evidence of any blacklisting. Crocker continued to teach at Northern Virginia Community College.

SA response: The evidence speaks for itself.

So we can see how this debate has basically mirrored the larger debates we've had regarding evolution and creationism. As in those debates, the creationists and science advocates operate from completely different starting points, i.e., the creationists prioritize loyalty to fellow believers, whereas science advocates prioritize evidence. The "blacklisting" claim provides a good illustration of this. The film claims Crocker was blacklisted after GMU, yet offers absolutely no evidence to support this accusation. Nevertheless, creationists accept this as true, whereas science advocates do not, citing the lack of evidence. The obvious explanation for this is that creationists are willing to give Crocker the benefit of the doubt and just accept this accusation as true despite the lack of supporting evidence, because she's a fellow creationist. We've seen this sort of thing right here in this thread, where Stan chastised me "you seem to be really susceptible to Scientific opinion rather than a Christian telling you the truth".

That's extremely revealing and demonstrates the tribal dynamic I just described....the deciding factor isn't the evidence, but which side is the Christian side.

It amazes me however how while I'm fully willing to acknowledge the fact that I prioritize the evidence over loyalty, the creationists apparently want to deny the role loyalty plays in their thinking. And that makes me wonder.....why?

River Jordan

Jan 30, 2014
Ok I think we can come to an agreement.

Expelled, The Movie is spot on in its depiction of the state of scientific academia.
No it's not.

The wording of one of the examples lends itself to semantic interpretation.
Nope. She wasn't fired, there's zero evidence of any blacklisting, she continued to teach at NVCC, she taught creationism, and she advocated for ID creationism.

ChristianJuggarnaut

Feb 20, 2012
Ok. So I can criticize Darwin in the classroom? I can offer an alternative to Darwin? (As Neil Degrasse-Tyson did recently)

And if I do, I will continue to get my contract renewed and my tenure will not be denied?

It's awesome that so many years after Ben made this movie, that it still drives you crazy.

River Jordan

Jan 30, 2014
Ok. So I can criticize Darwin in the classroom?
That probably depends on your employer and just what you mean by "criticize". For example, if you taught punctuated equilibria as the dominant mode of speciation rather than phyletic gradualism, there probably wouldn't be an issue. But if you spent class time attacking him personally (e.g., saying that he was a "rich kid who enjoyed partying"), there might be an issue. But that wouldn't be out of some loyalty to Darwin as much as it would be about you being hired to teach biology yet doing something else.

I can offer an alternative to Darwin? (As Neil Degrasse-Tyson did recently)
In the classroom? Why would you vet your revolutionary ideas in evolutionary biology to college students who are just learning the subject?

And if I do, I will continue to get my contract renewed and my tenure will not be denied?
Again, depends on your employer. That's the thing about course-by-course contracts....they can be terminated at any time for any reason, and there's not really much you can do about it.

It's awesome that so many years after Ben made this movie, that it still drives you crazy.
Pay attention. I started this thread because Stan brought the movie up and told me to start my own thread.....so I did.

ChristianJuggarnaut

Feb 20, 2012
I didn't see Stan's post.

So, the movie doesn't drive you crazy? You just arbitrarily know more about this subject than even the individuals involved. Got it.

I would say transitional fossils, Cambrian explosion, social Darwinism, macroevolutionary problems would all be fair game in an honest biology classroom. What are you afraid of?

I just gave what I consider an eloquent evolutionary psychology lecture to an AP Psychology class. They have no clue how I feel. And as such I can give the opposite view as well. And I did.

Why can't I have academic freedom?

Again, what are you afraid of?

River Jordan

Jan 30, 2014
I didn't see Stan's post.
Maybe next time you'll check, or even ask before assuming.

So, the movie doesn't drive you crazy? You just arbitrarily know more about this subject than even the individuals involved. Got it.
No, I actually use the movie as a teaching tool. And as I explained earlier, I go with what the evidence shows.

I would say transitional fossils, Cambrian explosion, social Darwinism, macroevolutionary problems would all be fair game in an honest biology classroom. What are you afraid of?
No one's "afraid" of anything. But we don't waste class time teaching things that are just plain wrong.

How about you give me a standard by which creationism would be included in biology class, but holocaust denial wouldn't be in history class?

I just gave what I consider an eloquent evolutionary psychology lecture to an AP Psychology class. They have no clue how I feel. And as such I can give the opposite view as well. And I did.

Why can't I have academic freedom?
"Academic freedom" doesn't mean "a teacher can say absolutely anything they want in class".

Again, what are you afraid of?
Nothing. What about you? Why are you so afraid of biology teachers teaching biology?

ChristianJuggarnaut

Feb 20, 2012
So what can teachers say in the classroom if they don't have absolute freedom.

See how you keep getting yourself in a corner in regards to the premise of the movie?

Nevermind, of course you don't.

Holocaust deniers? Do you know what the straw man is?

Don't fear other ideas. Lose the confirmation bias.

ChristianJuggarnaut

Feb 20, 2012
So what can teachers say in the classroom if they don't have absolute freedom?

See how you keep getting yourself in a corner in regards to the premise of the movie?

Nevermind, of course you don't.

Holocaust deniers? Do you know what the straw man is?

Don't fear other ideas. Lose the confirmation bias.

River Jordan

Jan 30, 2014
So what can teachers say in the classroom if they don't have absolute freedom.
Does anyone have absolute freedom to say anything at all at work? No. You can't call your boss names, give out trade secrets. harass other employees, offend customers, etc., without any consequences, can you?

No.

Holocaust deniers? Do you know what the straw man is? Don't fear other ideas. Lose the confirmation bias.
Why are you afraid of holocaust denial being included in history classes?

ChristianJuggarnaut

Feb 20, 2012
That's just it.

Today in Government class, we talked about how some believe that oil companies buy up patents of clean energy inventors thus removing any competition.

I remarked that some believe that we have ways of turning water into unlimited supplies of energy. I didn't say I believe it, I didn't say I don't believe it. (I don't)

I simply let them know of an idea and if they wish to pursue it, so be it. I'm not afraid.

Fear flows from everything about you concerning the topic of biblical literalism and conservative theology. It's strange. You can almost see it. What are you afraid of?

I have said that some deny the holocaust in class.

River Jordan

Jan 30, 2014
I simply let them know of an idea and if they wish to pursue it, so be it. I'm not afraid.
So your model of education can be summed up as "Teach anything and everything, don't take sides, and let the kids decide". I guess we'll just have to disagree on that.

What are you afraid of?
Nothing. Are you afraid of biology teachers teaching evolution?

I have said that some deny the holocaust in class.
Did you repeat their arguments to the students?