Explaining the baptism with the Holy Spirit

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

pompadour

Staff member
Oct 5, 2011
minnesota USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe that I was baptized by the Holy Spirit when I was 10 yrs old, in a very profound way. I have never spoke in tongues. I have been told that not every one speaks in tongues. I have never talked to any one that said, the same thing happened to them. I didn't understand it then and I still don't know why it happened. I just know that I was told that I will be alive when Jesus returns.

Maybe some one here can take a stab at explaining it. I explained the experience in more detail in the ( Christian board starting point forum )
Page #2 Pompadour.

MTPockets

Aug 4, 2012
I believe that I was baptized by the Holy Spirit when I was 10 yrs old, in a very profound way. I have never spoke in tongues. I have been told that not every one speaks in tongues. I have never talked to any one that said, the same thing happened to them. I didn't understand it then and I still don't know why it happened. I just know that I was told that I will be alive when Jesus returns.

Maybe some one here can take a stab at explaining it. I explained the experience in more detail in the ( Christian board starting point forum )
Page #2 Pompadour.

Hi! 'Pompadour'
Ummm, I'd like to contribute some kinna' answer/opinion to your question.
But I'm unsure about which question you are asking ... is it about your being alive when Jesus comes or about the absence of speaking in tongues after the baptism in the Holy Spirit?
Yes, I did read your Intro at 'Sharing Point /p2 .

pompadour

Staff member
Oct 5, 2011
minnesota USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi! MT

I'm confident about being alive when Jesus returns. I could relate many times I could have died but didn't get a scratch. I don't know why God wants me to be alive until Jesus returns. There should be a reason. any ideas?

Has any one had a similar experience?

Speaking in tongues seams to be very common with the baptism of the Holy Spirit, I didn't get that gift. I'm disappointed but comfortable with it. Thanks for you interest.
Pomp.

MTPockets

Aug 4, 2012
Hi! MT

I'm confident about being alive when Jesus returns. I could relate many times I could have died but didn't get a scratch. I don't know why God wants me to be alive until Jesus returns. There should be a reason. any ideas?

Has any one had a similar experience?

Speaking in tongues seams to be very common with the baptism of the Holy Spirit, I didn't get that gift. I'm disappointed but comfortable with it. Thanks for you interest.
Pomp.

Hi! 'pompadour'
You seem to me to be a very sincere and earnest Christian. I'm happy to know this about you.
Ummm, about your confidence of being "alive" until Jesus comes. I dare not comment about that. It is far too much a personal treasure for anyone to risk violating.
I've said it in here before: God speaks to every individual in a manner and language that they themselves are able to decipher and comprehend.
Personally speaking, (concerning my own Christian experience), I can unequivocally confirm that God speaks to His people today ... in this very day and hour. I also hold the belief that the thoughts (voice) of God are becoming increasingly alive to people in these present days because the evil one also is "prowling[background=rgb(249, 253, 255)] around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour". [/background] This would be in keeping with Joel 2:28.
God never speaks to us in a derogatory or accusing manner. Such an attitude/manner of inspiration belongs only to the "roar" of the lion.
God is only and perfectly good and, as our Bible says, "The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance".

About the Baptism in the Holy Spirit:
Generally speaking, (not specific to you personally), the gifts of the Holy Spirit are not distributed/manifested in an arbitrary manner. Some will speak with tongues while others might receive gifts of healing and/or faith ... others perhaps prophecy and/or wisdom. Glossolalia is the LEAST of the gifts which become available to God's faithful. This is why we are invited to seek the enhanced gifts as well.

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All Christians like to believe that they are filled with God's Spirit... But... When you go to examining fruits.... Hmmmm... :(

MTPockets

Aug 4, 2012
All Christians like to believe that they are filled with God's Spirit... But... When you go to examining fruits.... Hmmmm... :(

Hi! 'RockyTopva"
Thank you for your blanket accusation.
I appreciate your attempt to share from the storehouse of your own pious fruits.
Thankfully, I have long since recognized the roar of the accuser who desires to steal my joy and peace.

Rex

Oct 17, 2012
Kingman AZ
Hi! 'RockyTopva"
I appreciate your attempt to share from the storehouse of your own pious fruits.
Thankfully, I have long since recognized the roar of the accuser who desires to steal my joy and peace.

ROTF LOL
Don't ask him about his E=MC/2 video

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi! 'RockyTopva"

If... E = mc2 then the we can assume that m = E/c2 and all things came together with pure light and energy. There are three varieties of light and energy...

Knowledge - Our minds can produce an energy and a light!
idea-smiley.gif

Material - Light and energy encapsulated within the atom
Spiritual - Light (faith, hope, charity, joy) Energy (Warmth, love, motivation)

It's nice to know Christians who have all three...

Knowledge - Scripture is down pat!
Material - Great job in managing their material temple
Spiritual - Warm, fuzzy, loving, and bubbling with joy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aiy1Zp_AUXA

As far as your harsh words.... I have been set free from mans opinion so I really don't give a hoot if I am not accepted! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLqafYWE4A0

ROTF LOL
Don't ask him about his E=MC/2 video

Too late! :lol:

Alanforchrist

Dec 25, 2007
pompadour said:

Page #2 Pompadour.

If you believe you are baptised in the Holy Ghost, Then you can speak in tongues any time you want to, [BY FAITH].
Jesus said the beliver shall speak in tongues.
In every Biblical record of people being baptised in the Holy Ghost, They spoke in tongues.

Acts 2: 4.
Acts 8: 17--21, The Greek meaning for, "Matter", In v21, Is, "Tongue, dialect, & language", They had the same experience as those in Acts 2: 4--11.
Acts 9: 17, We know Paul spoke in tongues, 1 Cor 14: 18.
Acts 10: 44--46..
Acts 19: 6.

NOTICE, In Acts 2: 4. Acts 10: 46. Acts 19: 6. it says, THEY SPOKE, You have to do the speaking in faith.
If you really believe you'll recieve, The Holy Ghost will give you the utterance, Act 2: 4.
It might be just one syllable, But speak it out in faith.

When Paul said, "Do all speak in tongues"", 1 cor 12: 30. He was talking about the tongues that will be interpreted.
See the conection in v10, & v30. These are one of the gifts of the Spirit, And not to be confused with the tongues we receive when we are baptised in the Holy Ghost.

THE Gypsy

Jul 27, 2011
Earth
Alanforchrist said:
NOTICE, In Acts 2: 4. Acts 10: 46. Acts 19: 6. it says, THEY SPOKE, You have to do the speaking in faith.
If you really believe you'll recieve, The Holy Ghost will give you the utterance, Act 2: 4.
It might be just one syllable, But speak it out in faith.
Not so sure I agree with that..."THEY SPOKE" are not the key words. The key words are "they were all filled with the Holy Spirit", "the Holy Spirit (o. pneuma) fell", "the Holy Spirit (o. pneuma) came on them". The experience was not something "THEY" generated. It was a byproduct of the "coming, filling, falling" of the Holy Spirit.

Alanforchrist

Dec 25, 2007
THE Gypsy said:
Not so sure I agree with that..."THEY SPOKE" are not the key words. The key words are "they were all filled with the Holy Spirit", "the Holy Spirit (o. pneuma) fell", "the Holy Spirit (o. pneuma) came on them". The experience was not something "THEY" generated. It was a byproduct of the "coming, filling, falling" of the Holy Spirit.

Once they were filled with the Holy Spirit they spoke in tongues,
They still had the choice as to speak or not to, They still had to do the speaking.
But when one is baptised in the Holy Ghost, They would would [Or should] want to speak in tongues.

IanLC

Encounter Team
Mar 22, 2011
North Carolina
Tongues are not the most important aspect of the infilling of the Holy Ghost but it is the INITIAL (first) biblical evidence of receiving the Holy Ghost. That standard is the same today many who receive the gift of the Holy Ghost do and shall speak in tongues (Acts 2:4, Acts 10:44, Acts 19:1-6).