Faith-based tattoo: as a result of one, did you ever talk with someone? (Poll included)

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Faith-based tattoo: as a result of one, did you ever talk with someone?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Rita

I hear you on that one. When I can I also avoid them.

@amadeus A well known journalist once said: "Comment is free; facts are sacred". I guess there is a world of a difference in there... :)
I don't know what that means...?

I underlined the words, When I can, to emphasize that somethings I cannot avoid because the Holy Spirit is leading me that way. When I am being led by the Holy Spirit along a pathway, which in my flesh I would definitely avoid, I am compelled by my trust in God to follow and take each step as He leads me.

In the present case we both, @Rita and myself, wanted to avoid a type of conversation that on this forum has nearly always proved to be quite controversial and sometimes a bit heated.

Last edited:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I don't know what that means...?

I underlined the words, When I can, to emphasize that somethings I cannot avoid because the Holy Spirit is leading me that way. When I am being led by the Holy Spirit along a pathway, which in my flesh I would definitely avoid, I am compelled by my trust in God to follow and take each step as He leads me.

In the present case we both, @Rita and myself, wanted to avoid a type of conversation that on this forum has nearly always proved to be quite controversial and sometimes a bit heated.
@amadeus I guess I was referring to the whole idea in a general sense of opinions being presented as facts, while facts can be relegated to opinions; it was a general comment, really.

Reactions: amadeus

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@michaelvpardo These are significant theological questions, indeed, but I was simply wondering about the idea of showing a bit of patience over a wife's tattoos (after all, they are what so many wives these days are likely to have in any case).

But what do I know?
Since you insist on whipping a dead horse. I loved my wife's tattoos as they came as part of the package. I didn't love her self destructiveness, her selective obedience to the teachings of scripture, her rebellious willfulness, and her clinging to worldly values. The dissolution of our marriage wasn't because of her tattoos, but her independent actions were most definitely a contributor to its failure. Men have the biblical task of spiritual leadership in the household, and as the modern proverb says, "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink."

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks @michaelvpardo (cc, @amadeus ; @Rita). I must confess that it's probable that when I read some of the posts I don't necessarily fully grasp everything that ppl are saying, as intended by the poster. (I suppose this is inevitable sometimes.)
We do not yet have a "pure language" which is problematic for people being purified. Understanding is an entirely personal thing that is colored by experience. If we knew everything that there is to know about God in scripture, would we really spend time with Him studying it? I suppose the difficult part is not to let the flesh get in the way of our study and certainly not in the way of our relationships in the body of Christ. Not an easy thing, by any means, but that's a big part of the reason that we have the scripture in the first place.

Reactions: amadeus and farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
We do not yet have a "pure language" which is problematic for people being purified. Understanding is an entirely personal thing that is colored by experience. If we knew everything that there is to know about God in scripture, would we really spend time with Him studying it? I suppose the difficult part is not to let the flesh get in the way of our study and certainly not in the way of our relationships in the body of Christ. Not an easy thing, by any means, but that's a big part of the reason that we have the scripture in the first place.
@michaelvpardo Though I still don't quite get all of what you said earlier, this is very thoughtful post, with a lot of truth in it about the searching nature of Scripture, indeed.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Re. the self-harm thing, I just don't think it would be realistic for example to refer to all of the ppl referred to in FHII's post, below, as having undergone self-harm; these days so many designs are faith based in any case.

FHII said:
I got my first and only tattoo when I was 25. I was told it was addictive, but for me it was not. .. Probably 75% of the congregation have tattoos, including myself and the Pastor

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@michaelvpardo - Good morning ( well it is here ) I have been reading about Saul over the last few days. Would love to know how you see Jesus in those harsh passages - what you have learned from them.

You didn’t address the issue of all the laws in Leviticus ,....
How do you apply them. Honestly I would like to know your views.

Rita
I actually posted much of the results of my early study of Jesus in the books of the law and the prophets in a series of posts meant to be a faith building endeavor, that I called "seeing Jesus Christ". That was quite a while ago and the posts were by no means comprehensive, but you can still locate them by search engine on this web page. The book of Joshua is one of the books with rough passages about the conquest of Canaan and yet Joshua was a biblical type of Jesus Christ. Although Joshua was Jesus' actual name in the Hebrew, Joshua's real name was actually Oshea or Hoshea, but Moses called him Joshua. Passages about Joshua in Deuteronomy are somewhat revealing. I don't really think that this thread is a particularly good place to dive into the law of Moses and I'm not a teacher of the law, but use law to understand the holiness of God. The book of Hebrews is the most comprehensive instruction on the law in the purpose of revealing Jesus Christ, though it isn't really comprehensive either. We could start a thread for the purpose of examining law in regard to the New Covenant, but I guarantee that such a thread will lead to very heated argument, finger pointing, heresy hunting, and all forms of less than edifying comments. It would seem counterintuitive to pursue. I don't apply law to Christians and Christian living beyond the means of examining what is pleasing to God. If God commanded something, I'm sure that He expected obedience, but being omniscient always knew the outcome. If scripture calls a behavior an abomination to God, I except the notion that He really doesn't approve.
In the book of Deuteronomy we find instructions about the law, the blessings and the cursings upon Israel for obedience or disobedience, and the prophetic word of Israel's failure, banishment and restoration. In scripture God rarely gives a full explanation for what He says and does, and if we try to understand His reasons, we are left with speculation and educated guesses based upon His revealed character and what is explicitly stated. Its helpful to speculate from an informed opinion when attempting to reconcile scripture that seems contradictory to itself, but the speculation is not inspired. I've participated in discussion about the disposition of souls that never saw the light of day, but we have no clear teaching in scripture on the topic and speculation has given us such peculiar ideas as "limbo". When discussing the subject with someone that has experienced such loss (and my wife and I did) you can only refer to the character of God and place your hopes upon Him (and maybe refer to David's comments about the loss of his child by Bath Sheba, the wife of Uriah the Hittite.)
Thank you for your comments. Being retired and partially disabled, I don't need to rush anywhere, but I do need to get off my couch and at least get a little exercise in. I hope that your day was blessed, but life is rough in a secular world. And so we "endeavor to persevere" in the patience of the saints. He has made us witnesses to stand in these times and when we fall, He picks us up. I can't rely on my own faithfulness because the flesh is such a frail thing and subject to its nature, but I can rely of God's faithfulness. It took Him all the way to the cross on our behalf and for His glory (in all things, for His glory). Its a long walk home.

Last edited:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I don't know about it feeling good....lol.

@Heart2Soul It's wished for so widely now, anyway; it goes without saying that FHII (re. post #276, above) and those he refers to must have thought it would feel good
Probably 75% of the congregation have tattoos, including myself and the Pastor

Thanks for voting 'but it sounds like a good idea to start conversations' in the poll, BTW; the poll has certain had a variety of options voted for, as I thought it might.

Reactions: Heart2Soul

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@michaelvpardo Though I still don't quite get all of what you said earlier, this is very thoughtful post, with a lot of truth in it about the searching nature of Scripture, indeed.
That's okay. My ministry (in the prophetic sense) is really only for those who are meant to receive it and it never carried the weight of scripture (except where scripture is quoted and faithfully applied). In that sense it doesn't matter whether or not you "get all" of it. If I'm entirely honest, I have to say that I only engage in discussions with a poll attached because it is my firm conviction that consensus doesn't define truth, but the Lord does.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
That's okay. My ministry (in the prophetic sense) is really only for those who are meant to receive it and it never carried the weight of scripture (except where scripture is quoted and faithfully applied). In that sense it doesn't matter whether or not you "get all" of it. If I'm entirely honest, I have to say that I only engage in discussions with a poll attached because it is my firm conviction that consensus doesn't define truth, but the Lord does.
@michaelvpardo Oh, I agree there about the nature of polls. From a pragmatic point of view, it's clear that tattoos do work as conversation-starters, even beyond the strictly witness role that so many Christians use them for:

As referred to in post #245:

grinnurse said:
I have 4. .. They are usually great conversation starters with old and young alike. If I have a patient with tattoos I always comment and then they want to see ..

In the hospital that I work at you would be hard pressed to find employees without tattoos.. We even have significantly older nurses that ...have tattoos.

FHII and all those he refers to might also say something similar:
Probably 75% of the congregation have tattoos, including myself and the Pastor

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I think that the whole area of whether women should wear pants, or get tattooed; or men get ears pierced, etc., is covered by Romans 14 Christian liberty... we have liberty but some things f you get a tattoo remember what tey look like in our old age lol
@Ezra From back: yes it's covered by Romans 14, though ... LOL ... like you say it can fade; sometimes ppl go back to the parlor to have the ink touched up.

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
On a more positive note, let me share something I once heard on a Christian radio show. There was a young man who was called to a ministry that required that he take the pulpit to address his congregation regularly. I don't recall if he was teaching, preaching, or just making announcements, but he regularly appeared in long sleeves shirts regardless of the season or weather. Someone asked him, out of curiosity or by the Spirit of God I couldn't say, about that habit. The young man rolled up his sleeves, revealing a series of tattoos all executed before he received the gospel and he hid them out of a sense of shame and fear of rejection. The wise soul that made the inquiry told the young man directly that he shouldn't hide them because they were a part of his testimony before the congregation and the world. This received broad acceptance among the wise in the congregation so that the young man was emboldened to share his story (and wore more comfortable attire as appropriate.)
The thing is, we don't have to create or work on our own testimony. God does that providentialy through our life experience. Conversation starters are nice opportunities to share your faith, but testimony reveals the power of God in and through your life, by the marvelous works of His grace in Christ Jesus. Amen.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
On a more positive note, let me share something I once heard on a Christian radio show. There was a young man who was called to a ministry that required that he take the pulpit to address his congregation regularly. I don't recall if he was teaching, preaching, or just making announcements, but he regularly appeared in long sleeves shirts regardless of the season or weather. Someone asked him, out of curiosity or by the Spirit of God I couldn't say, about that habit. The young man rolled up his sleeves, revealing a series of tattoos all executed before he received the gospel and he hid them out of a sense of shame and fear of rejection. The wise soul that made the inquiry told the young man directly that he shouldn't hide them because they were a part of his testimony before the congregation and the world. This received broad acceptance among the wise in the congregation so that the young man was emboldened to share his story (and wore more comfortable attire as appropriate.)
The thing is, we don't have to create or work on our own testimony. God does that providentialy through our life experience. Conversation starters are nice opportunities to share your faith, but testimony reveals the power of God in and through your life, by the marvelous works of His grace in Christ Jesus. Amen.
@michaelvpardo Interesting and thoughtful post; I can see what you are saying. Another example slightly different I guess would be if a Christian woman has a tattoo of the name of a former, non-Christian bf (e.g., 'BILL') and does not want to be 'condemned' to wearing it for the rest of her life, she may conceivably choose to go to a parlor to have it changed to something that now reflects her settled convictions (e.g., 'BILL' changed to 'BIBLE'); a good artist can often figure how to do it suitably.

Reactions: michaelvpardo

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
There's a popular tattoo parlor downtown. ...I know too many young people who are searching for value and significance. ... There's some neat stuff there.
@Ron Coates I guess for the many believers who get tattooed it's more about expressing the value and significance they already possess by faith, rather than searching for it (if this makes any sense?)

Reactions: Truman

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I got my ear pierced when I was 16. My girlfriend wanted me to do it so I did. I'd still wear it if I wanted to, I'm just not big on outward accessories. No particular reason. I like blue jeans, t-shirts and running shoes. I used to fish a lot and wore what the fish were less likely to see. Light browns and khaki and camo were best. I'm a simple guy with simple tastes. I like stuff that lasts and can take a beating, like jeans.