Faith-based tattoo: as a result of one, did you ever talk with someone? (Poll included)

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Faith-based tattoo: as a result of one, did you ever talk with someone?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
On another thread, the subject of addictions has come up. Rather than go off topic there, it seemed suitable to refer to FHII's post where he asserts that for him getting tattooed has proven not to be addictive.

FHII said:
I got my first and only tattoo when I was 25. I was told it was addictive, but for me it was not. .. Probably 75% of the congregation have tattoos, including myself and the Pastor! So we don't look down on it, nor do we celebrate it...

It's so widespread now, but a lot of Christians would probably admit to keeping control over it when they have it done. For example, seems like today, it may often be done at around 18 as a transition to adult, planned experience, but then the young men and women in question don't necessarily get any more. Often the impetus for it is faith based.

Last edited:

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Hidden In Him From what you said, back a bit, it could also be in the case of faith based ones a way of projecting one's hope; the hope that is within you (1Peter 3.15), and being ready to give a reason for it.

Yes, Farouk. LoL.

As of the age of 56, I'm still clean. But if I decide to get a "Jesus Saves" tattoo on my upper right bicep, I'll be sure and let you know, Lol.

Reactions: amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Totally agree - and it applies to every single Christian. None of us should presume that we have ‘ arrived ‘ with regards to what we have understood in our hearts.
Rita
Sure seems to throw a monkey wrench into the works of those following OSAS, doesn't it?

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, Farouk. LoL.

As of the age of 56, I'm still clean. But if I decide to get a "Jesus Saves" tattoo on my upper right bicep, I'll be sure and let you know, Lol.
This reminds me of a billboard sign [road sign] they used to have around all over the place displaying nothing but very large letters spelling three words: Jesus is Lord!

My pastor at the time wisely remarked that the sign was not really telling the whole story. Jesus is only Lord of those who have submitted themselves to Him. To anyone not submitted, he is not Lord.

In the instant case, anyone not submitted to Him is not saved!

Reactions: Hidden In Him

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Sure seems to throw a monkey wrench into the works of those following OSAS, doesn't it?
Philippians 3.12 is not talking about assurance of salvation; there Paul is rather saying that he does not regard himself as a know-it-all who has nothing left to do or achieve.

Reactions: Rita

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
[QUOTE="Rita, post: 814634,
That was something the Lord did laid on my heart - but I wasn’t ready to concede last night !! Lol[/QUOTE]
I apologize for any and all offense, but not for God's word. We clearly see scripture in different ways and I've never believed cultural content to be relevant to scripture other than a way to grasp its intent.
The bible was written over the course of about 1400 years (at least according to the source I just looked at). It's teachings were consistent longer than any government on earth has existed and the Canon of scripture is the Canon of scripture because of that consistency. The extra books in Catholic versions are not part of the Canon because of their inconsistencies as are all the many religious writings predating the council of Nicaea.
I applaud your investment in the study of scripture and I certainly appreciate scholarship, but I'll explain my perspective even though you may not agree. It's not my intention to try to be preeminent, or to be dogmatic, but if I'm not confident in my doctrine, I have no business teaching it. If I'm not confident in my understanding, I have no power in my ministry. If I have no confidence in what God has said, I have no basis for my faith.
I was a seeker for about 31 years or so of the first 39 years of my life. My degree was in the sciences because of my longing for the truth and it wasn't until a coworker, a faithful born again servant of the Lord, spent hours answering biblical questions that reconciled my doubts, actually reconciling the scripture to itself, that I was able to see scripture as complete and without contradiction. It was only then that my mind was prepared to receive the gospel as real (though it must have been my desire from the beginning.)
I have a zeal for the written word and see it as the only basis for genuine faith (which is the assertion of scripture for the word of God.)
I don't limit God to His written word and I detest the notion of putting God in a box, but His revelation is complete in the person of His Son. Even so, my calling is prophetic, not new revelation, but the application of the written word to life and it's complexities.
I'm sure that I can be perceived as harsh, my humor is often sarcastic, my comments all too frequently acerbic, but I am what I am by the grace of God and I like to think that He knows what he's doing, though I frequently don't.
In my perception, feminism in our century has done great harm to the church. Many people now consider the Apostle Paul to have been misogynistic because of the restrictions his writings place upon women in ministry. That creates doubt in a very large portion of the New Testament. Placing things in cultural context may salve bruised feelings in that regard, but I think that God is far less concerned with our feelings than with our salvation and the integrity of His word. The verse from Leviticus isn't just an instruction, but a commandment. It was given to those under law and not specifically to the church, but Jesus definitely had something to say about teaching people to break commandments:
For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled. Whoever therefore breaks one of the least of these commandments, and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever does and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. For I say to you, that unless your righteousness exceeds the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven. Matthew 5:18-20
Paul had to deal with legalism and taught more about God's grace than we find in the gospels themselves. The law was impossible to keep by anyone but Jesus (and possibly Adam if he'd actually had it), but walking in grace, especially that thin line between personal freedom and the potential harm to a brother or sister through misunderstanding, is no cakewalk.
I'm not looking for greatness. I'm deliriously happy to have been plucked from the fire. To quote a lyric from a favorite secular band "if you knew all what I done, it would burn off both your ears."
However, I started seeking at a very early age with a desire to be like Jesus, thinking it was a matter of behavior and self control. It took a very long time, wading through the filth of sin, to arrive at the basic truth that it's not about us, but about Him. It's not about what we do, but what He did on the cross and does now through His Spirit.
I suppose that we may butt heads a bit in doctrinal arguments, but I have to stand upon the word of God and my relationship with Him through His Son. There is no other place for me to stand.
I would rather He took my life than do Him disservice which tends to make "prophetic" ministry sorrowful to me. A pastor once told me with respect to the congregation about us, " I can see these people's sin, but I can't tell them what it is. "
There is no such luxury as a prophet, but prophesy is rarely personal. The word of God isn't specifically written to me or you, but it is written to all to whom it applies, to anyone with an ear to hear.
I've written all this, not to convince you of anything, but hopefully to contribute to understanding, not just yours, but to anyone with ears to hear. If not understanding of the word, perhaps a better understanding of me. Let God be glorified in all our works and our Lord Jesus be preeminent in all our thoughts. Amen.

R

Rita

[QUOTE="Rita, post: 814634,
That was something the Lord did laid on my heart - but I wasn’t ready to concede last night !! Lol
I apologize for any and all offense, but not for God's word. We clearly see scripture in different ways and I've never believed cultural content to be relevant to scripture other than a way to grasp its intent.
The bible was written over the course of about 1400 years (at least according to the source I just looked at). It's teachings were consistent longer than any government on earth has existed and the Canon of scripture is the Canon of scripture because of that consistency. The extra books in Catholic versions are not part of the Canon because of their inconsistencies as are all the many religious writings predating the council of Nicaea.
I applaud your investment in the study of scripture and I certainly appreciate scholarship, but I'll explain my perspective even though you may not agree. It's not my intention to try to be preeminent, or to be dogmatic, but if I'm not confident in my doctrine, I have no business teaching it. If I'm not confident in my understanding, I have no power in my ministry. If I have no confidence in what God has said, I have no basis for my faith.
I was a seeker for about 31 years or so of the first 39 years of my life. My degree was in the sciences because of my longing for the truth and it wasn't until a coworker, a faithful born again servant of the Lord, spent hours answering biblical questions that reconciled my doubts, actually reconciling the scripture to itself, that I was able to see scripture as complete and without contradiction. It was only then that my mind was prepared to receive the gospel as real (though it must have been my desire from the beginning.)
I have a zeal for the written word and see it as the only basis for genuine faith (which is the assertion of scripture for the word of God.)
I don't limit God to His written word and I detest the notion of putting God in a box, but His revelation is complete in the person of His Son. Even so, my calling is prophetic, not new revelation, but the application of the written word to life and it's complexities.
I'm sure that I can be perceived as harsh, my humor is often sarcastic, my comments all too frequently acerbic, but I am what I am by the grace of God and I like to think that He knows what he's doing, though I frequently don't.
In my perception, feminism in our century has done great harm to the church. Many people now consider the Apostle Paul to have been misogynistic because of the restrictions his writings place upon women in ministry. That creates doubt in a very large portion of the New Testament. Placing things in cultural context may salve bruised feelings in that regard, but I think that God is far less concerned with our feelings than with our salvation and the integrity of His word. The verse from Leviticus isn't just an instruction, but a commandment. It was given to those under law and not specifically to the church, but Jesus definitely had something to say about teaching people to break commandments:
For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled. Whoever therefore breaks one of the least of these commandments, and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever does and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. For I say to you, that unless your righteousness exceeds the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven. Matthew 5:18-20
Paul had to deal with legalism and taught more about God's grace than we find in the gospels themselves. The law was impossible to keep by anyone but Jesus (and possibly Adam if he'd actually had it), but walking in grace, especially that thin line between personal freedom and the potential harm to a brother or sister through misunderstanding, is no cakewalk.
I'm not looking for greatness. I'm deliriously happy to have been plucked from the fire. To quote a lyric from a favorite secular band "if you knew all what I done, it would burn off both your ears."
However, I started seeking at a very early age with a desire to be like Jesus, thinking it was a matter of behavior and self control. It took a very long time, wading through the filth of sin, to arrive at the basic truth that it's not about us, but about Him. It's not about what we do, but what He did on the cross and does now through His Spirit.
I suppose that we may butt heads a bit in doctrinal arguments, but I have to stand upon the word of God and my relationship with Him through His Son. There is no other place for me to stand.
I would rather He took my life than do Him disservice which tends to make "prophetic" ministry sorrowful to me. A pastor once told me with respect to the congregation about us, " I can see these people's sin, but I can't tell them what it is. "
There is no such luxury as a prophet, but prophesy is rarely personal. The word of God isn't specifically written to me or you, but it is written to all to whom it applies, to anyone with an ear to hear.
I've written all this, not to convince you of anything, but hopefully to contribute to understanding, not just yours, but to anyone with ears to hear. If not understanding of the word, perhaps a better understanding of me. Let God be glorified in all our works and our Lord Jesus be preeminent in all our thoughts. Amen.[/QUOTE]
I guess we have both explained our prospective, my relationship with the Lord is of equal value. Thank for sharing. I have been studying Gods word for over 40 years now, the earlier official study was way back and it just opened my eyes to look into scripture for myself and test what I was hearing.
Who knows how the Holy Spirit may change either one of us as we journey through with the Lord, and every single Christian is on a journey. Yes, we will butt heads with things , I am sure but maybe along the way we may find common ground and agreement.
Are you in ministry in an official way outside the forum, just curious.
With regards to Matthew - have you read all the laws in the Leviticus , do you think they all apply because of Paul’s words. Jesus is talking to the crowds about ‘ these commandments ‘ present tense - and he proceeds to teach the crowds with the sermon on the mount. ‘ These commandment, the words I now speak to you ‘
If you apply it to Leviticus then it would mean every single law that the Lord spoke to Moses and gave the people at that time ,you cannot simply take some and disregard the rest if you apply it to the laws given back then. Jesus came to usher in a change, to show the people that the Pharisees were wrong in how they were teaching them.
I am not saying that Leviticus is not relevant, I believe all scripture is, Just in case you thought that. I am not a great scholar, pretty sure that you know far more than me, but like you I have to be true to what the Lord has shown me and how he has spoken to me through his word. My gifting , or as you say calling, is different.
I understand what you are saying about the feminism issue, although I do view some of Paul’s words differently to you. I believe Jesus used and called women into ministry and gave them far more value than some men have given them over the years. I have been fortunate that within my marriage I didn’t have a problem with roles - my ex just had problem with other women. Within the fellowships that I have been a part of I have always felt fulfilled in the roles I have had over the years. We have had many debates on here about the length of hair, the head coverings ect ect , so forgive me if I don’t go there.
I live in the UK but pretty sure the issues in both our countries and within the churches are the same.
I enjoyed reading your testimony, thank you once again for sharing it x

Rita

Rita x

Last edited by a moderator:
R

Rita

Sure seems to throw a monkey wrench into the works of those following OSAS, doesn't it?[/QUOTE
I am not getting into that argument Amadeus - there are other threads covering it and going round and round in circles - actually a lot of threads go round in circles, it makes you dizzy after awhile ! Lol
Rita

Reactions: amadeus

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I have been studying Gods word for over 40 years now, the earlier official study was way back and it just opened my eyes to look into scripture for myself and test what I was hearing.
@Rita People simply have to respect the fact that, as you said .....
when the whole issue of a tattoo came up , I approached that in context. I spoke to other Christians, my pastor, I prayed and reflected on it for quite a few months
... you as a believer deliberately and confidently got inked up at tattoo parlor with a clear conscience.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
A general comment I would also make is that the issue discussed, as per recent posts, relate rather straightforwardly to an exercise of Romans 14 Christian liberty.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Philippians 3.12 is not talking about assurance of salvation; there Paul is rather saying that he does not regard himself as a know-it-all who has nothing left to do or achieve.
Why would we presume that there is only one message within any certain scripture? I have been reading all of the Bible repeatedly since 1976 yet on many verses where God has given one message previously He shows something completely different another time. Even two different messages are not necessarily all that He has. Even in how they understand the Bible people very often, it seems to me, limit God. He does not fit into any box we might try to put Him in...

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Rita
I am not getting into that argument Amadeus - there are other threads covering it and going round and round in circles - actually a lot of threads go round in circles, it makes you dizzy after awhile ! Lol
Rita
I hear you on that one. When I can I also avoid them.

Reactions: Rita

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
For those wanting to use them as tools in conversation starting - whether in a witness context or not - there is no denying that they do work to this end.

grinnurse said:
I have 4. .. They are usually great conversation starters with old and young alike. If I have a patient with tattoos I always comment and then they want to see ..

In the hospital that I work at you would be hard pressed to find employees without tattoos.. We even have significantly older nurses that ...have tattoos.
allnurses dot com