Faith-based tattoo: as a result of one, did you ever talk with someone? (Poll included)

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Faith-based tattoo: as a result of one, did you ever talk with someone?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did you see @soul man 's post in #427 immediately above yours?

Yes, I did. I am sure God can use a tattoo ...or a tshirt, a bumper sticker ...or a simple smile.

On a sidenote ...I was in the store the other day and saw a child come in with his family on my way out ...I smiled at him as he looked at me, and it dawned on me ...he couldn't see the smile through my mask. It's a kinda sad thought that such simple things as facial expressions are being taken away from children and an entire earth population.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Yes, I did. I am sure God can use a tattoo ...or a tshirt, a bumper sticker ...or a simple smile.

On a sidenote ...I was in the store the other day and saw a child come in with his family on my way out ...I smiled at him as he looked at me, and it dawned on me ...he couldn't see the smile through my mask. It's a kinda sad thought that such simple things as facial expressions are being taken away from children and an entire earth population.
@TLHKAJ

Thought you would empathize:

17e6d5a4d511d093f509ef27af9f32ea.jpg
pinterest

6efe98e399a41ef94881375d1e7825e2.jpg
pinterest

Reactions: TLHKAJ

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I don't have any tattoos.
And I don't do any witnessing.
My wife and I talked to a young lady with the whole of John 3.16 tattooed on her wrist area; it was her favorite Bible verse and mine also and I'm sure other conversation have arisen as a result of her willingness to use the parlor for a Scripture faith inking.

She actually seemed quite shy.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I do have my own ideas of what kind of tattoos a person should get. Any that represents a Christian lifestyle!
@Heart2Soul It's become so established and widespread now - like you pointed out - look how among health professionals, for example, it's becoming the norm - that now so many young Christians on reaching adulthood seem to want to use a wide open opportunity to use it to express their faith convictions.

Reactions: Heart2Soul

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I think I told you about my wife's nurse? The scriptures on the inside of her forearms, looked nice and did start a conversation.
@soul man As @FHII said:

Probably 75% of the congregation have tattoos, including myself and the Pastor

Nowadays instead of fighting the medium so many Christians are embracing it instead and using it, often for Scripture and faith based designs that work exactly as your wife's nurse clearly felt she was taking a step of faith to do.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I never thought of that...
@TLHKAJ There are inevitably so many perspectives on tattoos that ppl will not have thought about necessarily; they are a big subject; but they are so widespread; as @Ron Coates said, above:
I got my ear pierced when I was 16. My girlfriend wanted me to do it so I did.
— today ink is gotten by young men and women in a similarly widespread way to how they get ear piercings (though of course earrings can be removed, which is the difference, of course...)

Reactions: Truman

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@TLHKAJ So would you have tried to dissuade her?
No. I would have listened to her, given my honest thoughts on it and allowed her to make that decision herself. She is an adult who also loves the Lord. And ....she is my daughter.
One thing I never did after we got out if a cult church when my kids were small is to try to take the place of Holy Spirit in their lives. I gave them the truth, guided them (especially when they were still small), and listened to their input, discussed things openly ...after so much fear of man and control over our lives, my children needed space and time to sort their own convictions and get that clearly from the Lord and know it was HIS leading and not just because mama said so.

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
No. I would have listened to her, given my honest thoughts on it and allowed her to make that decision herself. She is an adult who also loves the Lord. And ....she is my daughter.
One thing I never did after we got out if a cult church when my kids were small is to try to take the place of Holy Spirit in their lives. I gave them the truth, guided them (especially when they were still small), and listened to their input, discussed things openly ...after so much fear of man and control over our lives, my children needed space and time to sort their own convictions and get that clearly from the Lord and know it was HIS leading and not just because mama said so.
@TLHKAJ Seems anyway like the general procedure that you hoped would happen with her, happened anyhow without you first knowing about it...

But of course in time you were doubtless interested to hear about her parlor visit.

Reactions: TLHKAJ

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@TLHKAJ Seems anyway like the general procedure that you hoped would happen with her, happened anyhow without you first knowing about it...

But of course in time you were doubtless interested to hear about her parlor visit.
Well, I still haven't heard about the parlor visit. I listened to what she wanted to share, and that was the reason and process that led to her decision to get it.
Btw...her dad (my husband) still doesn't know. lol. He isn't as easy to talk to. She's never told him and he has never noticed it.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Well, I still haven't heard about the parlor visit. I listened to what she wanted to share, and that was the reason and process that led to her decision to get it.
Btw...her dad (my husband) still doesn't know. lol. He isn't as easy to talk to. She's never told him and he has never noticed it.
@TLHKAJ Seems like now you — almost — are starting to relish the fact that your daughter had the confidence to go — someplace — and get secretly inked up...

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I could probably ask her about the pain aspect now that I know. :)
@TLHKAJ Well maybe your daughter hasn't yet let you into her secret about tattoo pain. This is what Dr. Beth S., MD, said: "Embracing the pain For many tattoo enthusiasts, the pain is an important part of the process. Controlling the pain is less important than feeling it, accepting it, and embracing the endorphin rush that pain brings.
If it's your first tattoo, the pain can be a rite of passage. Some people see it as a fair price to pay to wear permanent, beautiful, meaningful art. Some even enjoy it as an important part of the tattooing ritual." From 'Controlling the pain with tattooing', https://tattoos.lovetoknow.com/Controlling_the_Pain

The fact that hers was faith based at the same time as the pain, made it special, of course.

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@TLHKAJ You must have a really good relationship with your daughter that can encompass what might have been a hot subject, getting tattooed, right?
Absolutely ...I've always had very transparent and honest communication with my children...a lot by necessity.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Absolutely ...I've always had very transparent and honest communication with my children...a lot by necessity.
@TLHKAJ Very good and important and a blessing, I'm sure! (These days for the communication to include thoughts about the ink event at around 18 would not be unusual, either...)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@TLHKAJ PS: Young ppl growing up now would tend to be aware of a vastly different context to tattoos now (compared to when it was just sailors and bikers that likely had it done decades ago).

FYI:

greenvneck said:
I would be hard-pressed to come up with more than a handful of names of my friends who DON'T have at least one tattoo--and we are all suburban homeschooling moms, ages ranging from early-30s to mid-50s, living in conservative North Texas.
forums dot thewelltrainedmind dot com

These, at any rate, are more likely the facts now (if this resonates at all with how you would see the reality).