Faith-based tattoo: as a result of one, did you ever talk with someone? (Poll included)

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Faith-based tattoo: as a result of one, did you ever talk with someone?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Some have described being "addicted" to getting tattoos (and their extensive tattooing give witness to it). I would be especially concerned about Christians who are caught up in getting one tattoo after another.
@Lady Crosstalk You said this back a bit. I guess a lot would depend on whether the person was using the ink as witness tools, really. My wife and I talked to a young lady with the whole of John 3.16 tattooed on her wrist area; it was her favorite Bible verse and mine also and I'm sure other conversations have arisen as a result of her willingness to have it done.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Those aren't too attractive, lol ....I would get crosses or the name of Jesus ...in fact, for my daughter's wedding, I had a simple gold wire bracelet with "Jesus" written in it. It was a lot like this one, but with "Jesus" instead of "Nicole." Idk why I can't find a photo of a "Jesus" bracelet with a search for "faith based gold wire bracelet." lol

proxy-image

I also would wear something like this ...for my own benefit, not necessarily for others. They may not even see it.
proxy-image

I also wore a cross on a gold chain ...very dainty, lightweight.
It was along the lines of this...
proxy-image
@TLHKAJ Yes, items with wording can be nice!

I know some women, whatever other jewelry they wear for really special occasions, still prefer 'minimalist' bare earlobes...

Of course now, some brides don't mind a bit of ink showing, either...

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@TLHKAJ Yes, I would generally agree with a lot of what you say; and this is a great verse you quoted. I can imagine also that the person who had this tattoo done would maybe have thought that the pain would have been well worth it for the subsequent witness conversations that would likely materialize. Though yes, one's life as led by the Spirit, according to the Word, is the deepest sort of testimony.
I have had ones who were trapped in the cult who could sense I served a different God than they knew ...and were compelled to ask me about Him... "You have a different Spirit. Tell me about the God you serve..."
And this was not an in-person meeting. It was online! lol
Another cult-born person who I met online actually came to see me (astrally) ...I knew it was her, and I prayed for her, shared the Gospel ...then asked God to bind back to her body and prevent her from leaving her body again (unless by Holy Spirit) ...and prayed God would send people and ministering angels to her to bring the Gospel to her on a consistent basis. She never did that again (astral project into my room). But when you carry His presence within you everywhere you go, these outward things aren't necessary. I hope and pray I can always be His vessel ...a vessel of honor that He can use and flow through...no matter if I have a neon sign pointing to me or not.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hidden In Him

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@TLHKAJ Yes, items with wording can be nice!

I know some women, whatever other jewelry they wear for really special occasions, still prefer 'minimalist' bare earlobes...

Of course now, some brides don't mind a bit of ink showing, either...
My daughter's ink barely showed ...she actually brought it up, that it wasn't her purpose to show it. Her dress sleeve covered it for the most part.

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
My daughter's ink barely showed ...she actually brought it up, that it wasn't her purpose to show it. Her dress sleeve covered it for the most part.
@TLHKAJ Sounds like she didn't particularly intend for it to show, but when a bit did peek over her sleeve she didn't really mind...

Anyway, these days a lot of brides are inked. (To say nothing of a lot of bridesmaids also...) I reckon a lot of brides' aunts, grandmothers, etc. get a bit of a surprise when at weddings they see ink (ohhh...) that they didn't know the bride had, especially if the ink was recently acquired...

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@TLHKAJ Sounds like she didn't particularly intend for it to show, but when a bit did peek over her sleeve she didn't really mind...

Anyway, these days a lot of brides are inked. (To say nothing of a lot of bridesmaids also...) I reckon a lot of brides' aunts, grandmothers, etc. get a bit of a surprise when at weddings they see ink (ohhh...) that they didn't know the bride had, especially if the ink was recently acquired...
It was infact, the first time my husband realized his daughter had a tattoo...AFTER the wedding was over, he noticed it barely peeking above the sleeve. We had a bit of a laugh (my daughter and I, with him) and discussed very briefly that she'd had it a long time. Her heart in getting it was not so much for show, but for herself.

I honestly believe most people get them to fit in...and that too is a heart issue. Our identity is in Christ.

Acts 17 (KJV) ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ ²⁸ For in him we live, and move, and have our being; as certain also of your own poets have said, For we are also his offspring. ²⁹ Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man's device.

Last edited:

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@farouk
By the above, I am not saying that art cannot reflect our faith. We just shouldn't rely on something outward so much as what is inward.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
It was infact, the first time my husband realized his daughter had a tattoo...AFTER the wedding was over, he noticed it barely peeking above the sleeve. We had a bit of a laugh (my daughter and I, with him) and discussed very briefly that she'd had it a long time. Her heart in getting it was not so much for show, but for herself. I honestly believe most people get them to fit in...and that too is a heart issue. Our identity is in Christ.

Acts 17 (KJV) ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ ²⁸ For in him we live, and move, and have our being; as certain also of your own poets have said, For we are also his offspring. ²⁹ Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man's device.
@TLHKAJ Great verse there!

So for a long time her dad hadn't realized he had a tattooed daughter? :)

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@TLHKAJ Great verse there!

So for a long time her dad hadn't realized he had a tattooed daughter? :)
He knew he had a tattooed daughter, because our oldest has had her daughter's name tattooed over her heart...and usually, you can see a bit of it above the shirt line. (It isn't a very low tat...it is just below the collarbone.)

My husband is a bit more verbal ...usually, considerably vocal, of his dislike of tattoos. But he kept that to himself the day of the wedding (except to me, later).

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
He knew he had a tattooed daughter, because our oldest has had her daughter's name tattooed over her heart...and usually, you can see a bit of it above the shirt line. (It isn't a very low tat...it is just below the collarbone.)

My husband is a bit more verbal ...usually, considerably vocal, of his dislike of tattoos. But he kept that to himself the day of the wedding (except to me, later).
@TLHKAJ Oh yes, of course, you mentioned this before; I remember now. I guess his reaction was something like, "So now another of my daughters is also tattooed..." :)

He must realize now, of course, if he didn't realize it before, that this is something that young women are doing now, in great numbers....

(Hence also the amount of young Christians that get faith based ones...)

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@TLHKAJ Oh yes, of course, you mentioned this before; I remember now. I guess his reaction was something like, "So now another of my daughters is also tattooed..." :)

He must realize now, of course, if he didn't realize it before, that this is something that young women are doing now, in great numbers....

(Hence also the amount of young Christians that get faith based ones...)
He actually didn't say anything like that to her. He just asked how long she had it. Then we shared a laugh. And later, he asked me about it. I told him I knew pretty much right after she got it (because she sent me a photo and the story behind it).

TBH, we don't put emphasis on what others are doing. We never were ones who followed the crowd, and have always encouraged our children to stand firm in their hearts in their own belief and identities in Christ. Both of my daughters who got tattoos did so for personal reasons rather than peer pressure.

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@April_Rose Oh it means about a tattoo that for instance has a Bible reference or faith design to it; and the poll is whether ppl have gotten into conversations with ppl as a result.

(There are lot of poll options...)

Oh okay, just voted no, but it sounds interesting. :) (Not that I can remember at least.)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
He actually didn't say anything like that to her. He just asked how long she had it. Then we shared a laugh. And later, he asked me about it. I told him I knew pretty much right after she got it (because she sent me a photo and the story behind it).

TBH, we don't put emphasis on what others are doing. We never were ones who followed the crowd, and have always encouraged our children to stand firm in their hearts in their own belief and identities in Christ. Both of my daughters who got tattoos did so for personal reasons rather than peer pressure.

@TLHKAJ Sometimes moms these days are even invited to come to the parlor to watch the inking being done!

But you're right: they are adults and so it's their responsibility, isn't it? and it's something that so many young women as well as young men do now (including Christians, although you're right about the inward taking a whole lot of precedence over the outward).

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Oh okay, just voted no, but it sounds interesting. :) (Not that I can remember at least.)
@April_Rose Yes it is! my wife and I talked to a young lady with the whole of John 3.16 tattooed on her wrist area; it was her favorite Bible verse and mine also; and I'm sure other conversations have arisen as a result of her willingness to use a tattoo parlor for this purpose.

Reactions: April_Rose

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
our oldest has had her daughter's name tattooed over her heart...and usually, you can see a bit of it above the shirt line. (It isn't a very low tat...it is just below the collarbone.)
PS: @TLHKAJ Re. the placement, well clearly she does want - or is happy for - ppl to see it. She's obviously not wanting to hide it.