Faith-based tattoo: as a result of one, did you ever talk with someone? (Poll included)

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Faith-based tattoo: as a result of one, did you ever talk with someone?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
From back
1stCenturyLady said:
tattooed...I just have eyebrows, so at least I know how it feels. I like it, not painful to me.

@1stCenturyLady Tattooing continues to open up a lot (despite covid) and a lot of ppl are seemingly in a situation of liking it, maybe doing it minimally, liking how it feels, but not doing it more significantly, but also widely appreciating it artistically and passively; I think there was some discussion of tasteful greys and shading like Ryan Ashley, for example. (There's also the faith based application; Bible verses, etc, which a lot of younger believers seem to be going for.)

Last edited:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@Goldie75 Re. tattoos, I mentioned that I read someplace about how widespread they are in the Bible Belt of the US; I'll try to dig up the quote for you. The design I got on my arm years ago was not a success. Fact is, tattoos are very widespread, including among those who post here and their families.

Last edited:
Reactions: Goldie75

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
PS: @Goldie75 Here is the quote I mentioned:

QueenCat said:
Around here (Bible Belt), it is common, especially among evangelical Christians, for the girls under about 40 to have religious tattoos. More do than don't, especially when you get to the under 30 crowd. I hardly know any female at church that is under 30 that does not have a tattoo.
forums dot thewelltrainedmind dot com

It really is widespread in North America (I know you are in the UK, where things may be a bit different?). There have been lots of posts from different ppl on this site who have explained their own urge to receive faith based tattooing.

@Mantis was discussing it and he said:
John 10:27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me

This is something I will probably get tattooed. This verse is the reason I am a Christian. This happened to me and my testimony relates to this verse. I met Jesus in this fashion.

For Abigail, it seems to be a humbling, fulfilling experience. Abigail said:
I've committed my body to give testimony to whomever reads it.

It's not for me, it's for the sake of others who may feel led by the Holy Spirit to follow up after they've seen those parts of me. It's fulfilling in that sense. And it is a humbling experience if someone says something to me after they've seen those parts of me.

To God be the glory. :)

Lots more in a similar vein from posters here could be quoted, but I'll just mention Mayflower, for whom it has been meaningful and witness-inducing, a special personal experience thankfully received:

Actually just tonight farouk, mine provided a good witness.. So quite a few in my church have faith based tattoos and my friend and I were talking about them..I've seen tattoos that have a lot of meaning like mine. I feel mine is special and thankful I got it. I haven't once felt guilty for getting it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Goldie75

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@michaelvpardo Actually the Christian fish sign <>< is indeed a sought after tattoo design for a wrist, etc. (I'm sure there were examples uploaded...)
There's actually a biblical precedent for that. Exactly one verse.
One will say, ‘I am the Lord’s’;
Another will call himself by the name of Jacob;
Another will write with his hand, ‘The Lord’s,’
And name himself by the name of Israel.
Isaiah 44:5
I recommend looking at the entire chapter. It's one of the most awesome passages in scripture. It's also one of the few places Jeshurun is named.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
There's actually a biblical precedent for that. Exactly one verse.
One will say, ‘I am the Lord’s’;
Another will call himself by the name of Jacob;
Another will write with his hand, ‘The Lord’s,’
And name himself by the name of Israel.
Isaiah 44:5
I recommend looking at the entire chapter. It's one of the most awesome passages in scripture. It's also one of the few places Jeshurun is named.
@michaelvpardo

Interesting quote there.

FYI:

tattoostime dot com

Reactions: michaelvpardo

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
If I did get it, it would be for myself.
Reminding me, I still have a lot to learn.
@Ziggy

Well, you're right, even with faith based tattoos, the reason for getting them will vary among Christians.

For you it would be principally as a personal reminder, as you said.

For ppl such as Abigail, she recently said it's definitely as a witness tool, a humbling experience to have:

It's not for me, it's for the sake of others who may feel led by the Holy Spirit to follow up after they've seen those parts of me. It's fulfilling in that sense. And it is a humbling experience if someone says something to me after they've seen those parts of me.

To God be the glory. :)

So yes, among Christians there would a variety of reasons for actually getting them, that from one person to another might indeed be distinct, right?

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Not my thing, but certainly nothing to be ashamed of.
@michaelvpardo In terms of what other posters have said, it seems the urge to have faith based inking machined in has been unregretted, anyway.

Abigail said:

To God be the glory. :)[/quote[

Mayflower said:

Actually just tonight farouk, mine provided a good witness.. So quite a few in my church have faith based tattoos and my friend and I were talking about them..I've seen tattoos that have a lot of meaning like mine. I feel mine is special and thankful I got it. I haven't once felt guilty for getting it.

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Ziggy

Well, you're right, even with faith based tattoos, the reason for getting them will vary among Christians.

For you it would be principally as a personal reminder, as you said.

For ppl such as Abigail, she recently said it's definitely as a witness tool, a humbling experience to have:

So yes, among Christians there would a variety of reasons for actually getting them, that from one person to another might indeed be distinct, right?
Everyone gets to make their own choices.
If they have a clear conscience concerning tattoo's by all means that's their choice.
If others are concerned or conflicted over getting a tattoo, then when in doubt don't.
Right?
Hugs

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Everyone gets to make their own choices.
If they have a clear conscience concerning tattoo's by all means that's their choice.
If others are concerned or conflicted over getting a tattoo, then when in doubt don't.
Right?
Hugs
@Ziggy I'm sure this is true.

You can see how different ppl view it in different ways:

Really positively:

FHII said:
I don't regret it.. Probably 75% of the congregation have tattoos, including myself and the Pastor ..
I have a tattoo, I am not ashamed of it, but it has no bearing on my salvation. ..I also agree that it makes a statement of freedom in Christ.

Acolyte said:
My son had 7 or 8 tattoos before I even thought about it. ... Those who get scripture must be overjoyed. The money and pain are outweighed by the message they witness to... No more ink for me. ... I do think they are fine for whoever wants one. It's just not something I would do again. :)

Or with retrospective doubts:

Laish said:
Personally I don’t like tattoos. I have one. I got it before I was called to believe. .. nothing to be proud of .

2 Chr. 34:19 said:
I have a forty yr old tatt-they look ridiculous on wrinkly old skin :) )

:)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Peace with God is liberating. Our liberty just needs to be restrained by love and it really comes down to a matter of conscience as our sister Ziggy has said.
@michaelvpardo Seems like a lot of Christians when they want to express their testimony by having a faith based inking machined in, go wholeheartedly into the parlor:

FHII said:
I don't regret it.. Probably 75% of the congregation have tattoos, including myself and the Pastor ..
I have a tattoo, I am not ashamed of it ..I also agree that it makes a statement of freedom in Christ.
I think Rita said something similar.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I would hope so. If it isn't by faith, it's sin.
@michaelvpardo This is what Rita said:

I have never regretted my tattoo..I love the tattoo..the tattoo was not liberating-the tattoo represented the liberation and freedom that the Lord had brought me through.The tattoo in of itself was merely the means of expression and the reminder. ..there was thought, study, prayer and discernment involved-and I have always had complete peace about it. ..I did look through scripture and reflect on it before I got one..With me it was more an inspiration, so I felt good about it. ..I was 50 when I had mine done, and two of my sons had various tattoos long before me.. ..I made the decision with a mature head on my shoulders.

If I remember correctly in the past you said you had issues with your wife's inking, but anyway it seems like when they go for faith based tattoo designs a lot of Christian men and women seem to think it is a wholesome experience which can act as a testimony tool - not to say also a personal reminder - and it appears that all the young ppl with Bible verse tattooed that I have spoken with have had them machined in as a testimony means. Seems anyhow that for a lot of Christians their tattoo parlor visits prove to be confident events and unregretted.

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@michaelvpardo This is what Rita said:

If I remember correctly in the past you said you had issues with your wife's inking, but anyway it seems like when they go for faith based tattoo designs a lot of Christian men and women seem to think it is a wholesome experience which can act as a testimony tool - not to say also a personal reminder - and it appears that all the young ppl with Bible verse tattooed that I have spoken with have had them machined in as a testimony means. Seems anyhow that for a lot of Christians their tattoo parlor visits prove to be confident events and unregretted.
My former wife had tats when I met her and described her desire for more as being like an addiction. She liked the pain associated with it. That wasn't a healthy desire. She only added one while we were married, a large and masculine looking cross, but she went back to have old faded tats inked again. The woman had lots of issues.

Reactions: Nancy