Faith-based tattoo: as a result of one, did you ever talk with someone? (Poll included)

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Faith-based tattoo: as a result of one, did you ever talk with someone?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mantis

Nov 2, 2020
The wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When I was young (and dumb), I got my first tattoo from a Hell's Angel in a garage. I am lucky I didn't get hep or something. At that time(like 16 or so). That led me on a path of bad tattoos which I regret now. If I had the money I would have them all covered up.

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@michaelvpardo So in personal, conscientious terms - if I can use that concept - do you think that small tattoos - albeit witness ones - are likely to be lived with better?

(You mentioned a big tattoo recently that you didn't like.)

As a long-term investment, so to speak, do you think smaller ones are likely to prove preferable?

e.g.,:

aa4a1e4f537f14bc1c9ee64b231e7aa6--psalms--tattoo-fall-tattoo.jpg
tattoo hyphen awe dot blogspot dot com

images
inked-app dot com
I don't really see a difference, but if it's supposed to be a testimony or help share the gospel it should at least be visible, (Just not on the forehead or right hand.)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I don't really see a difference, but if it's supposed to be a testimony or help share the gospel it should at least be visible, (Just not on the forehead or right hand.)
@michaelvpardo All the young ppl with Bible verses tattooed with whom I have talked have had them done on lower or upper arm, anyway...

Seems like for not a few young Christians getting them done as a witness tool is compelling to them...

Reactions: michaelvpardo

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When I was young (and dumb), I got my first tattoo from a Hell's Angel in a garage. I am lucky I didn't get hep or something. At that time(like 16 or so). That led me on a path of bad tattoos which I regret now. If I had the money I would have them all covered up.
I heard a story once on the radio about a pastor who wore long sleeves all the time because he had tats on his arm from before he received the gospel. One elder noticed a tattoo when he'd rolled his sleeves up to lift something. The elder told him to dress comfortably and let the congregation see what was part of his past. The changes God has wrought in our lives are all part of our testimony. God accepted us as we were and people should understand that this is what He does. He receives us just as we are and makes us into the person He wants us to be, renewed in His image as revealed in His Son. Our testimony is to His glory, and the praise of His grace. Amen.

Reactions: Goldie75

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@michaelvpardo All the young ppl with Bible verses tattooed with whom I have talked have had them done on lower or upper arm, anyway...

Seems like for not a few young Christians getting them done as a witness tool is compelling to them...
I suppose it's easier than lending a hand or being a comfort to someone in need, but which is the greater testimony?

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I heard a story once on the radio about a pastor who wore long sleeves all the time because he had tats on his arm from before he received the gospel. One elder noticed a tattoo when he'd rolled his sleeves up to lift something. The elder told him to dress comfortably and let the congregation see what was part of his past. The changes God has wrought in our lives are all part of our testimony. God accepted us as we were and people should understand that this is what He does. He receives us just as we are and makes us into the person He wants us to be, renewed in His image as revealed in His Son. Our testimony is to His glory, and the praise of His grace. Amen.
@michaelvpardo

I saw FHII's comment from back:

FHII said:
I don't regret it .. Probably 75% of the congregation have tattoos, including myself and the Pastor ..
I have a tattoo, I am not ashamed of it, but it has no bearing on my salvation. ..I also agree that it makes a statement of freedom in Christ.

75% is a big proportion, right?

(All ppl with their individual histories.)

Reactions: michaelvpardo

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@michaelvpardo

I saw FHII's comment from back:

FHII said:

75% is a big proportion, right?

(All ppl with their individual histories.)
I actually think that 75% is a sad commentary on the worldliness of the church, but that's just the perspective of age. Elijah thought that he was entirely alone in Israel when he fled from Jezebel. But the Lord said:
18 Yet I have reserved seven thousand in Israel, all whose knees have not bowed to Baal, and every mouth that has not kissed him.” 1 Kings 19:18

The things we take pride in, these will be our shame, but let him who boasts, boast in the Lord. Amen.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I actually think that 75% is a sad commentary on the worldliness of the church, but that's just the perspective of age. Elijah thought that he was entirely alone in Israel when he fled from Jezebel. But the Lord said:
18 Yet I have reserved seven thousand in Israel, all whose knees have not bowed to Baal, and every mouth that has not kissed him.” 1 Kings 19:18

The things we take pride in, these will be our shame, but let him who boasts, boast in the Lord. Amen.
@michaelvpardo Interesting that not so long ago, Abigail described getting hers as a fulfilling, humbling experience:

I've committed my body to give testimony to whomever reads it.

It's not for me, it's for the sake of others who may feel led by the Holy Spirit to follow up after they've seen those parts of me. It's fulfilling in that sense. And it is a humbling experience if someone says something to me after they've seen those parts of me.

To God be the glory. :)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@michaelvpardo Similarly to my previous post, Mayflower some months back indicated it was a thankfully received experience, and witness-inducing:

Actually just tonight farouk, mine provided a good witness.. So quite a few in my church have faith based tattoos and my friend and I were talking about them..I've seen tattoos that have a lot of meaning like mine. I feel mine is special and thankful I got it. I haven't once felt guilty for getting it.

Reactions: Lambano

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
What can I say? She likes asking others about their tattoos, and talking about her own. And witnessing about how God took her through cancer. :)

@Lambano

Here is an interesting quote from Amanda Wachob, qu. in femaletattooers dot com:

(It shows that tattoos do indeed work as conversation-starters.)

“It’s amazing how my tattoos have connected people. And given people a reason to speak to each other when maybe there wasn’t a reason before to talk to a stranger.”

– Amanda Wachob, Observer

I guess she's realized it works....so it's substantially about her motive to tell others, right?

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
One elder noticed a tattoo when he'd rolled his sleeves up to lift something. The elder told him to dress comfortably and let the congregation see what was part of his past.
Hi @michaelvpardo I heard a similar story from a neighbouring congregation where there was a heavily tattooed lady who joined them; when she started to be skeptical to an elder about her tattoos, he told her not to worry.

(Sounds like it was similar advice.)

I've no idea if she subsequently received any faith based tattoo designs.

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi @michaelvpardo I heard a similar story from a neighbouring congregation where there was a heavily tattooed lady who joined them; when she started to be skeptical to an elder about her tattoos, he told her not to worry.

(Sounds like it was similar advice.)

I've no idea if she subsequently received any faith based tattoo designs.
Our testimony is the story of our lives both before and after our salvation. A testimony without change isn't much of a testimony, but those who receive Him in their youth, still have the testimony of their works in Him and to the glory of His name. However, to be clear with regard to our love for Christ:
46 You did not anoint My head with oil, but she anointed My feet with perfume. 47 For this reason I say to you, her sins, which are many, have been forgiven, for she loved much; but the one who is forgiven little, loves little.”
Luke 7:46-48
Please note, this woman's love was expressed in her service to the Lord. Our service expresses our love.

Reactions: marks and farouk

Mantis

Nov 2, 2020
The wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That an interesting perspective. I have borderline Satanic garbage tattooed on me. It is embarrassing. I am utterly ashamed of my past. But that is a cool way of looking at it.

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That an interesting perspective. I have borderline Satanic garbage tattooed on me. It is embarrassing. I am utterly ashamed of my past. But that is a cool way of looking at it.
It worked well for the pastor who took godly counsel, but how you deal with your past is a matter of conscience and can't be taken lightly one way or another. Some folks will judge you no matter what you say or do, but I agree with the Apostle Paul, who was judged by people quite a bit.

4 This is the way any person is to regard us: as servants of Christ and stewards of the mysteries of God. 2 In this case, moreover, it is required of stewards that one be found trustworthy. 3 But to me it is an insignificant matter that I would be examined by you, or by any human court; in fact, I do not even examine myself. 4 For I am not aware of anything against myself; however I am not vindicated by this, but the one who examines me is the Lord. 5 Therefore do not go on passing judgment before the time, but wait until the Lord comes, who will both bring to light the things hidden in the darkness and disclose the motives of human hearts; and then praise will come to each person from God. 1 Corinthians 4:1-5

Reactions: Goldie75 and Mantis