Faith-based tattoo: as a result of one, did you ever talk with someone? (Poll included)

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Faith-based tattoo: as a result of one, did you ever talk with someone?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
@Ron Coates Well, GodsGrace's comment was very telling:

Even the very conservative ones do it now.
I see myself, or at least I used to see myself as a Christian. I have no problem calling myself a Christian. When I say that Israel will be saved, I see some rough waters up ahead.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
3781290833_8964525d87.jpg
flickr

I'm not sure knuckles are the ideal placement for faith tattoos...

Though if the person wants to testify it's certainly a conspicuous placement.

Tattoos have quite rapidly become genteel, if this is the right word; e.g., faith based ink on a wrist, etc. But I guess to me knuckles are still quite a raw sort of placement (if this is not the wrong word....) So what do ppl think?

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
My oldest daughter has multiple tattoos. My wife has a butterfly ... My youngest daughter has no desire to get a tattoo. Both of my daughters are adults, by the way.
@MetalMike You guys are on the West Coast, right? there must be a lot of parlors for them to choose from.

(Did you see the poll, above?)

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
3781290833_8964525d87.jpg
flickr

I'm not sure knuckles are the ideal placement for faith tattoos...

Though if the person wants to testify it's certainly a conspicuous placement.

Tattoos have quite rapidly become genteel, if this is the right word; e.g., faith-based ink on a wrist, etc. But I guess to me knuckles are still quite a raw sort of placement (if this is not the wrong word....) So what do ppl think?

Hi. While at a downtown outreach, I became familiar with a guy named Ron. He had tattoos all over him. One was a pentacle and another was 666. Then there was Snake. He was bald and every inch of exposed skin was tatted. I don't know what happened to Ron. Snake, so the story goes, was murdered in what might have been a biker issue. Peace.

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Hi. While at a downtown outreach, I became familiar with a guy named Ron. He had tattoos all over him. One was a pentacle and another was 666. Then there was Snake. He was bald and every inch of exposed skin was tatted. I don't know what happened to Ron. Snake, so the story goes, was murdered in what might have been a biker issue. Peace.
@Ron Coates Knuckle tattoos are kind of a rugged way of inking, a bit avant-garde, still, don't you think? Still very much an acquired taste in inking...

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@michaelvpardo Sometimes the term is used pejoratively, although there are some - including ladies - who do just use it matter-of-factly about their ink. (If this makes sense?)
I don't have a specific problem with tattoos. I enjoyed doing artwork as a kid and still occasionally draw or paint. I find some tattoos aesthetically pleasing, others just kook like a freak show. I never wanted one on my body, but not for religious reasons. I've always hung artwork on my walls, but eventually I usually get tired of the image and take it down. That's not really an option with tats. Getting them is costly, removing them more so. Scripture discusses wearing adornments to worship suggesting that attention grabbing is not a good thing in the context of worship. Tattoos are intended to grab attention and you can't remove them on Sunday so I question the wisdom of visible ones and if they aren't visible who are they meant to be witnessing to? If our goal is to lift up Christ it's a good idea to stay out of the spotlight. Even so, it isn't my job to judge how others use their freedom (more often than not I'd be wrong. The scripture tells me so.)

Reactions: Nancy and farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I don't have a specific problem with tattoos. I enjoyed doing artwork as a kid and still occasionally draw or paint. I find some tattoos aesthetically pleasing, others just kook like a freak show. I never wanted one on my body, but not for religious reasons. I've always hung artwork on my walls, but eventually I usually get tired of the image and take it down. That's not really an option with tats. Getting them is costly, removing them more so. Scripture discusses wearing adornments to worship suggesting that attention grabbing is not a good thing in the context of worship. Tattoos are intended to grab attention and you can't remove them on Sunday so I question the wisdom of visible ones and if they aren't visible who are they meant to be witnessing to? If our goal is to lift up Christ it's a good idea to stay out of the spotlight. Even so, it isn't my job to judge how others use their freedom (more often than not I'd be wrong. The scripture tells me so.)
@michaelvpardo Good post with good points. Sometimes a faith based tattoo design can be done in a totally modest way; my wife and I talked to a young lady with the whole of John 3.16 tattooed on her wrist area; it was her favorite Bible verse, and mine also; the young lady was actually quite shy, but I can see that she would have had a quiet determination to use it in testimony.

Reactions: michaelvpardo

Naomi25

Aug 10, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
@Naomi25

Yes, I do take your point. I guess some would say that a desire to start witness conversations and a wish to 'fly one's flag' are really two sides of the same coin, so to speak, really, being all about personal testimony.

My wife and I talked to a young lady with the whole of John 3.16's wording tattooed on her wrist area; it was her favorite Bible verse and mine also; and I'm sure that other conversations have arisen as a result of her willingness to have it done.

I can quite imagine her having thought and prayed about it a great deal, spent time planning the placement and visiting parlors both to check out inking styles and artist quotes, and - indeed, as you say is very necessary beforehand - making sure in her own mind first of all that she wanted it for the rest of her life. Really nowadays it's not the preserve of people of radical, avant-garde tendencies to receive a bit of inking; as GodsGrace says it's now what really conservative young women and others do.

The picture below (I coudn't get it any smaller) may well reflect - even in the small size - what really is in the wearer's inner heart (like you say), and she might have reflected that what was in her inner heart was most definitely worth a sharp pricking for a very short time, for something permanent, if this makes sense?

too-cute-cross-tattoo-on-inner-wrist.jpg
tattooshunt dot com
I like that, simple...but speaks multitudes, really. And it's in a spot she'd see it all the time, as others would too I suppose.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I don't like tattoos on women.
@Ron Coates

Oh. Okay. You realize that it's fully participated in by both genders now? Among Christians, a lot would be faith based.

QueenCat said:
Around here (Bible Belt), it is common, especially among evangelical Christians, for the girls under about 40 to have religious tattoos. More do than don't, especially when you get to the under 30 crowd. I hardly know any female at church that is under 30 that does not have a tattoo.
forums dot thewelltrainedmind dot com

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
@Ron Coates

Oh. Okay. You realize that it's fully participated in by both genders now? Among Christians, a lot would be faith based.

forums dot thewelltrainedmind dot com
I guess I'm old-fashioned. I'm becoming my father. Lol I'm having trouble typing. So after I get it fixed, we'll talk. Ron

Reactions: farouk