Fasting: Does it actually do anything? Do you have a testimony?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

WaterSong

Nov 9, 2020
Kansas City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The short answer, yes, fasting is very effective in cleansing the body. However, depending on your died and lifestyle prior to fasting, it can also mess with your mind. Especially when you're asleep. Because when we sleep our body begins its healing processes. And especially if we're in the midst of a fast.

Consequently, we can have all manner of weird dreams, lucid dreams, that may cause us concern. One thing some do in that case is, as soon as they start to fast they keep a dream journal by the bed. When they wake up they start to write what they remember. No editing or concern for grammar and such things, just write all that you can remember before you forget.
This helps in the course of the fast to see where you were at the start and where you end up at the end, as pertains to your dream state of mind.
This can also give clarity in as much as one may think God is speaking to them during those times, and if those dreams are scary or horrible, help perhaps to realize the difference between the body purging toxins, and the body chemistry responding to deprivation of solid foods, and what are/may be God himself sending you his word.

If you've never fasted your body is going to be really upset that it is being deprived of all those goodies you usually feed it. But if you stick to it you'll notice a difference that grows more and more noticeable as time passes.
A good schedule, from personal experience, to begin a fast as a first timer is to go one day without eating. But make sure you drink plenty of water, spring water is best, distilled is not always recommended because it can leach minerals from the body. If you're not all that healthy in the first place, or you do not supplement your diet with vitamins and/or herbs, that's not a good thing.
Fresh juices is ideal as a natural supplementation of necessary vitamins and minerals. Juicers are very affordable now. Organic produce too and is more readily available than years ago.
Juicing your own juice is superior to buying bottled juices, even the organic ones, because there is no pasteurization. Which is necessary in manufacturing of commercial grade juices of course.

If you can go one day without eating, that's a start. If you choose to do that after you end your fast stop eating one thing that isn't typically good for your body. Like something containing processed sugars. Cookies, cakes, etc...
The next time you fast, make it two days. And again, at the end of that stop consuming two things that are bad for you. Even if it is a habit, like smoking or drinking alcohol.

Your body will get use to the fasting cycle, and while it recovers from that sudden deprivation of foods for that one first day of fasting, it isn't going to be overly shocked when/if you go back to your usual diet afterward if/when you delete one bad food item from the diet/lifestyle you resume afterward.

If you go slow your body won't enter into a cleansing crisis. This can happen when someone who has never fasted before decides to go gung ho and fast for many days their first time out. The body can respond thinking something is in crisis in your life, which is why you're not eating solids of any kind.
Remember, your body, its physiology, is programmed to make you survive and balanced. If you suddenly go many days without eating your body will start to strong purge all the toxins that are within the eliminatory organs of the body. Liver,kidneys, bowels, lymph, etc... Picture an airplanes engines starting to fail and the crew throwing out cargo so as to lighten the load and stay aloft.

Only in the human body that strong eliminatory organ purge can cause you serious issues, depending on your state of health to begin with. Go slow. Your body will slowly adjust and eventually you can fast for days on end and without too much difficulty.

Just avoid walking near bakeries because that's a real stop-the-fast temptation. ;) LOL

Blessings on your pursuit. :)

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are no spiritual values in fasting (abstaining from food) except to clean your system.

Fasting has to do with witnessing as per Matthew 28:19.

To God Be The Glory

Ok, bad teaching. You are approaching the subject with a carnal mind, JunChosen.
This is God's intent as to fasting:
Is not this the fast that I have chosen? to loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that ye break every yoke?

We can go through that entire Chapter if you'd like, but first let me ask you: If literal fasting was not the will of God for believers, then why were they fasting?

Reactions: dev553344

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I do think that fasting, after reading these testimonies, does lead to a breakthrough in some instances, but certainly not if it's not God's will

The reason it gets confused is because the Israelites fasted in repentance, and it sometimes turned the judgments of God away. But this is not "receiving a breakthrough," more like "saving your behind," LoL. They were humbling themselves, which is another term used in the Old Testament for fasting, and it again had the purpose of bringing the flesh under. This gesture is what leads God to have mercy, because they are showing a truly repentant spirit by engaging in the practice.
and thinking about it and looking back, I was doing mine out of not trusting God to do it himself and for some reason thinking I had to do something about it - and then lost my mind instead between a lack of sleep/lack of nutrition/stress/illness anyway, which didn't help the situation very much at all.

Yeah, that's kinda like coercing God. Different thing. And you don't feel good about it, like you said. Like you are wrestling with God instead of your flesh. It makes God the adversary in a way, and that can never be a reassuring feeling.
Sometimes we can't change his will or make things go the way we hope for, but then other times if it is in his will for us to humble ourselves then he will. Mine was not an issue of humility, it was that I had none and wasn't willing to surrender and sought after control and taking it into my own hands instead.

Bingo! The right reason to be fasting, LoL.
Let the Lord's will be done in all things! Sometimes it is good to surrender and accept that we're not in control of all things, because God doesn't run off of human knowledge and has the bird's eye view. He knows all of the right moves and we don't. He also won't mess it up. I do.

Amen! :)
I think sometimes prayer and quiet are good, too.

Amen to that, too!

Reactions: DuckieLady

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The short answer, yes, fasting is very effective in cleansing the body. However, depending on your died and lifestyle prior to fasting, it can also mess with your mind. Especially when you're asleep. Because when we sleep our body begins its healing processes. And especially if we're in the midst of a fast.

Absolutely. Actually, it will mess with your sleeping patterns. Your body converts over the energy it used to spend to digesting, and now you have less need to sleep. So you stay awake more, and rest less.

It's why the Spirit needs to empower you to fast. Things need to line up, as it were. You need to have plenty to do and keep your mind on, because you will be up more and no longer be spending time eating, which creates even more free time.
If you've never fasted your body is going to be really upset that it is being deprived of all those goodies you usually feed it. But if you stick to it you'll notice a difference that grows more and more noticeable as time passes.

Another good point. If you have never fasted for any length of time before, prepare for headaches. That won't happen after your body gets used to it, but the first few fasts I did my head hurt like crazy, and no amount of Excedrin helped. It could have been caffeine withdrawals also, but whatever was causing it, it wasn't fun.

Doesn't happen now.
Just avoid walking near bakeries because that's a real stop-the-fast temptation. ;) LOL

Yes, and also anything with salt. A bag of potato chips will look at you and say, "Don't you want me? I'm crunchy, and yummy, and salllltyyyyy..." and the next thing you know you're eating an entire Idaho potato field.

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ok, bad teaching. You are approaching the subject with a carnal mind, JunChosen.

Really? You don't know what is in my heart only God does!

We can go through that entire Chapter if you'd like, but first let me ask you: If literal fasting was not the will of God for believers, then why were they fasting?
Show me in the Bible where fasting (abstain from food) is in the will of God? Already in Isaiah 58:6, God tells us the meaning of fasting (to lose the band of wickedness...etc,.) just as Jesus did in Matthew 17:21. Did Jesus have to fast? NO!

Then why couldn't the disciples cast out the devil (v. 19)? Because this kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting.

Reminds me of John 3:12:
"If I have told you earthly things, and ye believe not, how shall ye believe, if I tell you of heavenly things?"

To God Be The Glory

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I think that's the only way to pray.

I find that when you pray according to your own thought you can remember exactly what you said but if you let the Holy Spirit put the words in your mouth you find yourself saying things you never even thought of and then afterwards you can't remember.

friend of

Sep 22, 2018
B.C.
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Even though I've studied it I still find it difficult to fast. Maybe it's like prayer and we have to lbe led into it by the Holy Spirit.

I haven't tried to go longer than 1 day. But I should soon. It's probably hard but if the Spirit helps 2 days should be doable

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I haven't tried to go longer than 1 day. But I should soon. It's probably hard but if the Spirit helps 2 days should be doable

I've never done more than a day - not even 24 hours - more like from waking till 6pm. But I think as in all things, we need to be guided by the Spirit. To do it in our own strength is to fail. When I have done it before it was in agreement with a group of ladies from my church who all had specific concerns. We agreed to fast and pray for each other and our prayers were answered. It was a real encouragement to all of us.

Reactions: Hidden In Him

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Going to narrow this down as much as I can, so that it's not too long. I'll also try to keep it as clean as possible.

Some scriptures regarding fasting potentially being applicable to our times:

(Jesus in response to being questioned about why his disciples didn't' fast; implying they would after the cross.)

(The when here may be implying expectation. When, not if.)

(The fasting portion is removed in the NIV but present in the KJV.)

I previously had a bad experience with fasting myself. I remember fasting for up to eight days asking for God's help with something, and frankly, I just don't remember it being a good experience. I fasted a lot in that time, actually, and I don't really feel like I had God's help very much in that time. At the very least, I would have appreciated a clear "no" but I didn't get that either. I understand the purposes of fasting. (Mourning, guidance, God's protection, etc) but I don't feel like it helps. "Feel" being the keyword here, which our feelings tend to be inaccurate.

Things got worse for me, so I gave up on fasting, despite what the Bible says, but I am willing to open my heart up to the thought of it again, but looking for guidance from other Christians who have some understanding of it or a testimony. I felt so rejected after fasting, but it would give hope to hear that other people have had better experiences.

Hi Fluffy:

Fasting is a good thing if it is done when burdened by the Lord. It should always be for spiritual purposes and not just to ask for something we really want.

It should be for growth, direction, overcoming some weakness (if you believe God is asking for the fast), wisdom etc.

Do not go in with secret motives like losing weight or anything like that, though based on your picture losing weight is definitely not an issue with you :)

When you fast, water is fine and juices made from cooked vegetables or fruits is fine. It should be a time also devoted as possible to prayer and worship. It is a hard thing to do but can give awesome results in the Lord.

Hope this helps

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Going to narrow this down as much as I can, so that it's not too long. I'll also try to keep it as clean as possible.

Some scriptures regarding fasting potentially being applicable to our times:

(Jesus in response to being questioned about why his disciples didn't' fast; implying they would after the cross.)

(The when here may be implying expectation. When, not if.)

(The fasting portion is removed in the NIV but present in the KJV.)

I previously had a bad experience with fasting myself. I remember fasting for up to eight days asking for God's help with something, and frankly, I just don't remember it being a good experience. I fasted a lot in that time, actually, and I don't really feel like I had God's help very much in that time. At the very least, I would have appreciated a clear "no" but I didn't get that either. I understand the purposes of fasting. (Mourning, guidance, God's protection, etc) but I don't feel like it helps. "Feel" being the keyword here, which our feelings tend to be inaccurate.

Things got worse for me, so I gave up on fasting, despite what the Bible says, but I am willing to open my heart up to the thought of it again, but looking for guidance from other Christians who have some understanding of it or a testimony. I felt so rejected after fasting, but it would give hope to hear that other people have had better experiences.

May I ask a question...have you obeyed Acts 2:38?

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think the fast He has chosen ...is the key.

When I have fasted, I didn't always get the answers I wanted. But oftentimes during a fast, I have received visions or dreams, and a closer relationship with Him.

One thing that I have noticed is that the battle intensifies when I draw closer to Christ, whether through fasting, prayer, or Bible reading. So don't be surprised when this happens.

1 Peter 4 (KJV) ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ ¹² Beloved, think it not strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened unto you: ¹³ But rejoice, inasmuch as ye are partakers of Christ's sufferings; that, when his glory shall be revealed, ye may be glad also with exceeding joy. ¹⁴ If ye be reproached for the name of Christ, happy are ye; for the spirit of glory and of God resteth upon you: on their part he is evil spoken of, but on your part he is glorified. ¹⁵ But let none of you suffer as a murderer, or as a thief, or as an evildoer, or as a busybody in other men's matters. ¹⁶ Yet if any man suffer as a Christian, let him not be ashamed; but let him glorify God on this behalf.

You are so wise grasshopper!! :D
Great verses and this has opened up a new avenue for me. I've never truly fasted, at least all I did was not eat and tried to think of what to pray about, lol. Of course, this was the very early 1990's so, still sucking the thumb!

There can be hours that pass without a peep from the dogs, phone, or some other distracting thing but, once I begin to pray or read scripture (I pray before I pray to have no distractions) ... then the phone rings, people start walking by my house making the dogs bark, distractions galore. I've gotten to the point where I will in Jesus authority cast satan out, telling him he MUST flee at the Name of Jesus and that he has no place here, and God rebuke him. THIS has helped tremendously! Because, you are spot on when you said: "that the battle intensifies when I draw closer to Christ,..."
Fightin the good fight together bro's and sissy's :D

Reactions: Hidden In Him

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Really? You don't know what is in my heart only God does!

Ok, Point taken. My apologies.
Show me in the Bible where fasting (abstain from food) is in the will of God? Already in Isaiah 58:6, God tells us the meaning of fasting (to lose the band of wickedness...etc,.) just as Jesus did in Matthew 17:21. Did Jesus have to fast? NO!

Then why couldn't the disciples cast out the devil (v. 19)? Because this kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting.

Reminds me of John 3:12:
"If I have told you earthly things, and ye believe not, how shall ye believe, if I tell you of heavenly things?"

To God Be The Glory

Ah, but now you are answering a question with a question. Again, about the Isaiah passage, we could deal with that whole Chapter in its entirety, and it doesn't mean God was opposed to fasting in the Old or New Testaments. Quite the contrary.

But an easier place to start is where I told you: If literal physical fasting was not God's will, why did Jesus fast for 40 days? Why did Paul state in the epistles that he fasted often? Why did the prophets fast and pray before sending Paul and Barnabas out in their ministry? If it is not God's will, then why did the Lord tell the disciples, "When you fast, do not be as the hypocrites, who make themselves appear unto men to fast. But when you fast, do so in secret; put on festive clothing and anoint your head with oil, so that your father who sees in secret may reward you openly"? (paraphrase).

Seems none of that makes sense if it was not God's will to literally fast the physical body.

Last edited:
Reactions: friend of and Nancy

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where is the match and who is doing the yelling? Somebody is assuming.

To God Be The Glory

Agreed!
Lot's of fantastic posts in this thread. Too bad it had to dwindle down to a yelling match.

2nd Timothy, nobody was yelling. I disagreed with JunChosen's position, that's all. And to his credit, he responded very courteously.

This is a forum, so there are going to be some disagreements. Not a big deal.

God bless,
- H

Reactions: JunChosen and Nancy

2nd Timothy Group

Nov 8, 2020
Cashmere
www.youtube.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Agreed!

2nd Timothy, nobody was yelling. I disagreed with JunChosen's position, that's all. And to his credit, he responded very courteously.

This is a forum, so there are going to be some disagreements. Not a big deal.

God bless,
- H

My bad. I guess the plethora of "!!!" threw me off.