Fasting is important to prayer

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I wanted to make something special for the prayer forum. When we fast we get answers to prayers more readily than when not fasting. Fasting is an important part of Christian life. I think these days many Christian denominations have ignored fasting. I was Mormon and also Catholic and both of them fast. But how many denominations actually teach Christians correctly?

I've seen a lot of people in the prayer thread over the years I've been here. And I now wonder how many of them have tried fasting along with their prayer to get answers?

I fasted on several occasions and have seen people healed. I have seen miracles and I think it may be because of the fasting that the Lord has answered some of these prayers.

The bible instructs us to fast:

Joel 2:12

“Yet even now,” declares the Lord, “return to me with all your heart, with fasting, with weeping, and with mourning;

We get answers from God when we fast, God listens to us:

Ezra 8:23
So we fasted and implored our God for this, and he listened to our entreaty.

Last edited:

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I wanted to make something special for the prayer forum. When we fast we get answers to prayers more readily than when not fasting. Fasting is an important part of Christian life. I think these days many Christian denominations have ignored fasting. I was Mormon and also Catholic and both of them fast. But how many denominations actually teach Christians correctly?

I've seen a lot of people in the prayer thread over the years I've been here. And I now wonder how many of them have tried fasting along with their prayer to get answers?

I fasted on several occasions and have seen people healed. I have seen miracles and I think it may be because of the fasting that the Lord has answered some of these prayers.

“Yet even now,” declares the Lord, “return to me with all your heart, with fasting, with weeping, and with mourning;

Agreed Devin, the church's, for the most part do not teach on this. Most regular Joes and JoAnn's have no idea how to apply it when praying is the biggest part.
It has been mentioned in at least 2 church's I attended but, no teaching on HOW to do this, at least not reverently and effectively.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Agreed Devin, the church's, for the most part do not teach on this. Most regular Joes and JoAnn's have no idea how to apply it when praying is the biggest part.
It has been mentioned in at least 2 church's I attended but, no teaching on HOW to do this, at least not reverently and effectively.
Thanks for your input. Yeah I only started fasting because of the Mormon church I attended. And the fasting worked so I was happy to do it. Now that I'm non-denominational I would like to fast at times also. And the Catholic Mass I watch supports fasting also. I didn't know it was supported in the scripture either. I just knew that Jesus did it and a few others. It would have been nice to have some instruction. The Mormon church instructed us to fast once a month for 24 hours. But they don't drink water or eat and I don't see the water part as good. I think drinking fluids is perfectly OK in a fast. I think the bible supports that also. I also think once a month is too much fasting. I think fasting should be when you have a cause for it.

Reactions: Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah, the no water thing is not so good, and also not so good for diabetics to go so long without eating. 24 hours is IMO, too long. There are those who do 6, or even 4 hour fasts. You have me interested again in fasting Devin, thanks. I will look into it a bit further :)

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah, the no water thing is not so good, and also not so good for diabetics to go so long without eating. 24 hours is IMO, too long. There are those who do 6, or even 4 hour fasts. You have me interested again in fasting Devin, thanks. I will look into it a bit further :)
Yes I agree. Mormons also instructed that people with medical problems need not fast. But it sounds like you have a good idea with 4-6 hour fasting.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Nancy I also have to take medication that makes me super hungry. So I don't fast often. But I always feel spiritually better after I do. I had to get a gastro procedure a while back and had to go 3 days without food. That was super difficult.

And I think the bible points out that people that fasted for long times ate sustenance leaf. So that they had something small every so often. I think that's important to have a little something if you're fasting for a while. When I went three days without food for the gastro procedure I had broth.

The Catholics instruct on how they fast also. I don't do it but it is not to have something you like for Lent. Which is 40 days. I think they got the idea from Daniel's fast:

What Is a Daniel Fast?

The Daniel Fast is specifically referenced in the Bible in two sections of the Book of Daniel:

• Daniel 1:12, which states, “Please test your servants for ten days, and let them give us vegetables to eat and water to drink.”
  • Daniel 10: 2-3, which says, “In those days I, Daniel, was mourning three full weeks. I ate no pleasant food, no meat or wine came into my mouth, nor did I anoint myself at all, till three whole weeks were fulfilled.”

Reactions: amadeus and Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Nancy I also have to take medication that makes me super hungry. So I don't fast often. But I always feel spiritually better after I do. I had to get a gastro procedure a while back and had to go 3 days without food. That was super difficult.

And I think the bible points out that people that fasted for long times ate sustenance leaf. So that they had something small every so often. I think that's important to have a little something if you're fasting for a while. When I went three days without food for the gastro procedure I had broth.

The Catholics instruct on how they fast also. I don't do it but it is not to have something you like for Lent. Which is 40 days. I think they got the idea from Daniel's fast:

What Is a Daniel Fast?

The Daniel Fast is specifically referenced in the Bible in two sections of the Book of Daniel:

• Daniel 1:12, which states, “Please test your servants for ten days, and let them give us vegetables to eat and water to drink.”
  • Daniel 10: 2-3, which says, “In those days I, Daniel, was mourning three full weeks. I ate no pleasant food, no meat or wine came into my mouth, nor did I anoint myself at all, till three whole weeks were fulfilled.”

Ah, no...I don't pray like that except for my own needs and desires, as He sees fit. I see fasting and praying for someone or some particular thing, to be the main focus. Like when David's child was sick, how he fasted, prayed,

2 Samuel 12:15-17
"15After Nathan had gone home, the LORD struck the child that Uriah’s wife had borne to David, and he became ill. 16David pleaded with God for the boy. He fasted and went into his house and spent the night lying in sackcloth on the ground. 17The elders of his household stood beside him to help him up from the ground, but he was unwilling and would not eat anything with them.…"

Then, when the child died, he arose and still continued to worship God and ate. I think it is like wrestling with God, as Jacob did when he got his hip knocked out of joint.

2 Samuel:16-23

20 "Then David arose from the earth, and washed, and anointed himself, and changed his apparel, and came into the house of the Lord, and worshipped: then he came to his own house; and when he required, they set bread before him, and he did eat.

21 Then said his servants unto him, What thing is this that thou hast done? thou didst fast and weep for the child, while it was alive; but when the child was dead, thou didst rise and eat bread.

22 And he said, While the child was yet alive, I fasted and wept: for I said, Who can tell whether God will be gracious to me, that the child may live?

23 But now he is dead, wherefore should I fast? can I bring him back again? I shall go to him, but he shall not return to me."

Reactions: dev553344

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ah, no...I don't pray like that except for my own needs and desires, as He sees fit. I see fasting and praying for someone or some particular thing, to be the main focus. Like when David's child was sick, how he fasted, prayed,

2 Samuel 12:15-17
"15After Nathan had gone home, the LORD struck the child that Uriah’s wife had borne to David, and he became ill. 16David pleaded with God for the boy. He fasted and went into his house and spent the night lying in sackcloth on the ground. 17The elders of his household stood beside him to help him up from the ground, but he was unwilling and would not eat anything with them.…"

Then, when the child died, he arose and still continued to worship God and ate. I think it is like wrestling with God, as Jacob did when he got his hip knocked out of joint.

2 Samuel:16-23

20 "Then David arose from the earth, and washed, and anointed himself, and changed his apparel, and came into the house of the Lord, and worshipped: then he came to his own house; and when he required, they set bread before him, and he did eat.

21 Then said his servants unto him, What thing is this that thou hast done? thou didst fast and weep for the child, while it was alive; but when the child was dead, thou didst rise and eat bread.

22 And he said, While the child was yet alive, I fasted and wept: for I said, Who can tell whether God will be gracious to me, that the child may live?

23 But now he is dead, wherefore should I fast? can I bring him back again? I shall go to him, but he shall not return to me."

I agree. Some fast to resist temptation also. It gives us a certain will power increase that when we're tempted we're less likely to give in. I'm getting older though and not so much into fasting without a healing type purpose.

Reactions: Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree. Some fast to resist temptation also. It gives us a certain will power increase that when we're tempted we're less likely to give in. I'm getting older though and not so much into fasting without a healing type purpose.
Yes, that is a wonderful thing to do in order to help with the temptations!

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, that is a wonderful thing to do in order to help with the temptations!
To my sister who is not a calvinist and that by her own choice , I say LEt the glorious LORD be praised .
Let us press unto , cling unto the glorious LORD . Learning daily and staying reminded in the TRUTH of our glorious Lord .

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

A few years ago during the period the church calls Lent, I did a study about fasting and came to the same conclusions. if your interested I put it in a blog.
Fasting - is it really necessary? | Christian Forums @ Christianity Board

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What time is it , ITS TIME to PRAISE THE GLORIOUS LORD . YES IT IS .
So let all that draws breath praise and thank , and do so continuously , THE GLORIOUS LORD .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I read the blog and I really liked it. It reflects a good journey into fasting. It is a great read and could be important for people considering the idea of fasting. Really interesting read. Thanks Pearl.
Thank you for reading it and thank you too for your encouraging comments. I hoped more people would look at it but I think it's just got lost.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you for reading it and thank you too for your encouraging comments. I hoped more people would look at it but I think it's just got lost.
Well it's in this thread now. So maybe more people will look at it. It was a really encouraging blog and very inspirational. I felt the spirit while reading it and it brought back memories from fasts I've had in my life.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And @Pearl I really didn't know Derek Prince was in the war. If I was in a war I would definitely be fasting at times I think. Or at least I would hope so. I think miracles happen when we fast, at least that's what I've experienced and it has built faith and belief in God for me.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Well it's in this thread now. So maybe more people will look at it. It was a really encouraging blog and very inspirational. I felt the spirit while reading it and it brought back memories from fasts I've had in my life.
I hope people will read it. I have just read it right through again and it isn't a heavy read at all.
I was quite an awe inspiring time as I listened to the prompting of the Holy Spirit day by day and i felt so blessed. As the weeks that the church calls Lent approach perhaps it might bless others.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
And @Pearl I really didn't know Derek Prince was in the war. If I was in a war I would definitely be fasting at times I think. Or at least I would hope so. I think miracles happen when we fast, at least that's what I've experienced and it has built faith and belief in God for me.
I liked hearing Derek Prince he always sounded to me like a truly humble man who was in touch with God.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I liked hearing Derek Prince he always sounded to me like a truly humble man who was in touch with God.
I've heard people discuss him on forums, but I've never been exposed to any of his talks. I did a quick search and it mentioned he had a radio broadcast.