Favorite Christian authors?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

tim_from_pa

Jul 11, 2007
My favorite author is in my signature "Judah's Sceptre/Joseph's Birthright" (J. H. Allen). The insight of this man was astounding. I have it uploaded free for the reading if anyone did not read it yet.

Carico

Aug 13, 2007
(Byron-AW;62558)
Mine are J.R. Tolken and C.S. Lewis.
God and God alone. :amen:

Byron-AW

Oct 22, 2008
(Carico;62708)
God and God alone. :amen:
Well of course that was self-assumed. Every Christian should put God's bible as their favorite author first. This is for those who like to hear God's word through literature writings.C.S. Lewis's "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe" is one of my favorite book series.

ffbruce

Oct 9, 2008
(waquinas;62750)
Aquinas - obviously and then maybe Chesterton, also like Lewis
I don't know why, but I've just never quite been able to get into Chesterton. I don't know how many times I've gotten part way through Orthodoxy only to put it away and start in on something else. My reading kind of goes in streaks - based partly on what I need to study for lessons and sermons. I've enjoyed some of Philip Yancey's writing, and David Jeremiah. Some of the scholars who wrote the various commentaries for the IVP Application Commentaries are excellent, and others are kind of average. I've really been enjoying Ravi Zacharais lately though. Not sure why.

Prizm

Nov 1, 2008
I don't know how much of a Christian Tolkien was. In fact I think he was Catholic.To have a God-given talent for writing and spend years creating fiction novels....man I would feel convicted that I wasted all that time and talent on fantasy with no mention of Christ.

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(Prizm;62805)
I don't know how much of a Christian Tolkien was. In fact I think he was Catholic.To have a God-given talent for writing and spend years creating fiction novels....man I would feel convicted that I wasted all that time and talent on fantasy with no mention of Christ.
That's a good way to look at it.

Byron-AW

Oct 22, 2008
(Prizm;62805)
Actually fiction novels i think are great to spread God's word. You just got to get the morals and meanings right.Also, Catholicism is under the body of Christianity. I don't know where you got the idea of Catholicism being apart from Christianity. Matter a fact I took that as an insult. I am Roman Catholic.

Prizm

Nov 1, 2008
(Byron-AW;62834)
Actually fiction novels i think are great to spread God's word. You just got to get the morals and meanings right.Also, Catholicism is under the body of Christianity. I don't know where you got the idea of Catholicism being apart from Christianity. Matter a fact I took that as an insult. I am Roman Catholic.
You're right, fiction novels can be a good tool to spread the Word of God. Though I think a Christian novel should have some element of conviction in it. If it's not encouraging or convicting you to live a better life for Christ, then I personally feel it is a waste of time. And since novels are fiction, you can make your "God" character do anything and perform any miracle....kinda makes it hard to get excited over a fictional God
smile.gif

ffbruce

Oct 9, 2008
(Byron-AW;62834)
I'd hate to see people label novels such as The Chronicles of Narnia as non-Christian, simply because they're fiction. Unfortunately, I knew one family who consistently did just that.

waquinas

Apr 24, 2008
(ffbruce;62759)
I don't know why, but I've just never quite been able to get into Chesterton. I don't know how many times I've gotten part way through Orthodoxy only to put it away and start in on something else. My reading kind of goes in streaks - based partly on what I need to study for lessons and sermons. I've enjoyed some of Philip Yancey's writing, and David Jeremiah. Some of the scholars who wrote the various commentaries for the IVP Application Commentaries are excellent, and others are kind of average. I've really been enjoying Ravi Zacharais lately though. Not sure why.
"The Man who wasThursday" was captivating for me. though I would have prefered a different ending. Interesting take on society for his day that applies well today. Found Orthodoxy a little dry myself and hard to stay with. For being pretty much self taught, he led an interesting life and perhaps the original street corner evangelist.

Byron-AW

Oct 22, 2008
Another one I like is Flannery O'Conner. My favorite story of her's is Parker's back. A deep meaning story to show that the cross and other Christian symbols are not apart of Idolitry.

ffbruce

Oct 9, 2008
(Byron-AW;62909)
Another one I like is Flannery O'Conner. My favorite story of her's is Parker's back. A deep meaning story to show that the cross and other Christian symbols are not apart of Idolitry.
Well no, they certainly don't have to be. Sometimes a symbol is just that - a symbol. But there are other times when I wonder if, as individuals, we tend to cross the line. I don't know...