Feeding stray dogs and cats

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I have adopted a number of stray cats. I quite like them coming into my garden but haven't seen any for ages. The ones who ended up living here are ones that continued to come mewing for food. I would never feed a well fed cat as they obviously belong to someone. But if they keep coming and are getting thinner that's when they get fed and are taken in. I like cats but my husband won't have another.

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Cassandra, do you have a pet ferret? I hear they're really smart.
I had ferrets for 20 years.I love them. They are very intelligent, very rascally. Fun.
My last one died in 2019. I cant afford to get another--not at a pet store or even from a rescue, because the vets bills for ferrets are 1000s of dollars.'Many of the little stinkers are spayed /neutered before 6 weeks, and for some reason that sets them up for adrenal disease. Every ferret I've had has had this. Requires an operation Since I am only on SS now, I wouldn't be able to care properly for one.

My home is also not ferret proof. They get into everything.

I have asked the Lord for all my ferrets, and a bunch more, when I get to Heaven.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Feeding stray cats is how I ended up with one-and-a-half cats. I must have a post-it note with the word "sucker!" written on it stuck to my back.

We got our dog the same way. Supposed a drop off as we were surrounded by woods and a few distant neighbors. Neighbors dogs would have their evening pack run and a stray was among them. I think it was the stray that left a note on our door asking us to keep him!!! And ya know you rearrange your whole life around a new family member!!

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Cassandra, do you have a pet ferret? I hear they're really smart.
We used to have fancy rats for my son and he got some for his little girl. They are very sociable and friendly and a nice size for children to handle. One of ours used to sit on my son's shoulder waiting for his to give it a bit of mashed potato. They com in various colours and are nothing like the feral rats that spread disease. Great pets - better than hamsters.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This man feeds both cats and dogs in Istanbul, Turkey.
I am more of a cat person only because big dogs intimidate me. But the dogs in this video had quite a personality! They were kinder to one another than the cats making their rude banter with one another while begging for food. Lol Thanks for sharing. Those dogs should be able to get adopted if seen because they appear so humble.

O'Darby

Feb 17, 2024
Arizona
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have four living in my garage right now. They were born under my shed, and my wife I did our best to round them up and give them away. We managed to catch ONE. I finally threw in the towel. My garage now looks like Feline Condo Village - with about eight beds, three of them heated, for four cats (Sister, Dickie, Watson and Nike). I am committed (why?) to giving them only the highest-quality food, which costs perhaps $125/month. They receive regular feedings at 5:30 AM, noon and 7 PM. We managed to get two of them spayed and are praying the other two are males. In short, they rule our lives and treat us like we are just barely tolerable. Not to mention Pooky, the 18-year-old, now blind, I found as a kitty in the parking lot. No, I didn't find him - a coworker came in and said "Tell O'Darby there's a hurt kitty in the parking lot." I had apparently been pegged as the Crazy Cat Lawyer 18 years ago. All that being said, the 12 cats I've had (before these four) have been worth every minute.

I've said many times that it's easy to see how cats were worshipped in Ancient Egypt - they really do have sort of a royal, better-than-you attitude about them. When a dog throws up on the carpet, he cowers and whines "Please don't hit me!!!" When a cat does the same thing, he sniffs and says "Clean-up on Aisle 4 - will somebody get that before I step in it?" When I used to complain about cleaning the throw-up and scooping the liiter box four times day, my late wife would always say "Keeps you humble" - and I think there is an element of truth in that.

As far as Turkey goes, the extent to which stray cats completely take over towns and are not only tolerated but celebrated is legendary. I have a book about it.

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Feeding stray cats is how I ended up with one-and-a-half cats.
I was always a dog person and had a Shiz Tsu many years ago.

But I started feeding the stray cats and found one tiny calico kitten which I adopted from my street. That was in 1989.

Throughout all of these years I had several cats, all adopted from my street. Only one was adopted when an elderly neighbor died and the manager was going to throw it on the street. ??? Crystal was 11 at that time according to the old man....he lived to 23.

The most I ever had inside was four.

Since Miss Kitty just recently died and I am 73, I don't think I can adopt a new cat....even though I would enjoy the company. Getting to the end of my journey on Earth I think.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I had ferrets for 20 years.I love them. They are very intelligent, very rascally. Fun.
My last one died in 2019. I cant afford to get another--not at a pet store or even from a rescue, because the vets bills for ferrets are 1000s of dollars.'Many of the little stinkers are spayed /neutered before 6 weeks, and for some reason that sets them up for adrenal disease. Every ferret I've had has had this. Requires an operation Since I am only on SS now, I wouldn't be able to care properly for one.

My home is also not ferret proof. They get into everything.

I have asked the Lord for all my ferrets, and a bunch more, when I get to Heaven.
My sister had ferrets. They bit into my brothers toe. Fun but can bite.

Reactions: Debp

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have four living in my garage right now. They were born under my shed, and my wife I did our best to round them up and give them away. We managed to catch ONE. I finally threw in the towel. My garage now looks like Feline Condo Village - with about eight beds, three of them heated, for four cats (Sister, Dickie, Watson and Nike). I am committed (why?) to giving them only the highest-quality food, which costs perhaps $125/month. They receive regular feedings at 5:30 AM, noon and 7 PM. We managed to get two of them spayed and are praying the other two are males. In short, they rule our lives and treat us like we are just barely tolerable. Not to mention Pooky, the 18-year-old, now blind, I found as a kitty in the parking lot. No, I didn't find him - a coworker came in and said "Tell O'Darby there's a hurt kitty in the parking lot." I had apparently been pegged as the Crazy Cat Lawyer 18 years ago. All that being said, the 12 cats I've had (before these four) have been worth every minute.

I've said many times that it's easy to see how cats were worshipped in Ancient Egypt - they really do have sort of a royal, better-than-you attitude about them. When a dog throws up on the carpet, he cowers and whines "Please don't hit me!!!" When a cat does the same thing, he sniffs and says "Clean-up on Aisle 4 - will somebody get that before I step in it?" When I used to complain about cleaning the throw-up and scooping the liiter box four times day, my late wife would always say "Keeps you humble" - and I think there is an element of truth in that.

As far as Turkey goes, the extent to which stray cats completely take over towns and are not only tolerated but celebrated is legendary. I have a book about it.
I adored your post! You had me rolling in laughter. That could be one good short story! You are witty! I could see it!

Reactions: Debp and O'Darby

O'Darby

Feb 17, 2024
Arizona
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

But I started feeding the stray cats and found one tiny calico kitten which I adopted from my street. That was in 1989.

Throughout all of these years I had several cats, all adopted from my street. Only one was adopted when an elderly neighbor died and the manager was going to throw it on the street. ??? Crystal was 11 at that time according to the old man....he lived to 23.

Since Miss Kitty just recently died and I am 73, I don't think I can adopt a new cat....even though I would enjoy the company. Getting to the end of my journey on Earth I think.
I'm 73 too, and as far as I was concerned Pooky was my LAST cat. Oops, didn't work out that way!

• Haha
Reactions: Lambano and Debp

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My sister had ferrets. They bit into my brothers toe. Fun but can bite.
Oh yes. They steal things too, and hide them. I have run across more than one stash>
One time my ferrets decided to steal a bag of potatoes , one at a time. It was hilarious to watch. Actually, it was a tag team type effort. One took rolled them all the shelf (lower shelves, close to the floor) and then lift them up and go to a hiding place with the other one watching. The potatoes, some of them were as big as she was.

Here are the little cuties, playing hide and seek. Ariel (the black and white one, potato thief) thinks she is hiding from Joey (white one who is always the lookout), and he is just watching her. ♥♥

Attachments

• Joey and Ariel  hide and seek.jpg
    Joey and Ariel hide and seek.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 3

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I read your thread about Miss Kitty. I’m sorry. she had a good place with you! One fortunate Miss Kitty!

• Love
Reactions: Debp

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When a stray wanders in…aw you feed him…and he comes around again…aw you feed him…and when you pick out a name, and call him and he comes to you….that’s it…
He’s yours!!

Our dog, Buddy, also called ‘good boy” “toots” “baby” “wanna be lap dog”, is a pit without cropped ears or bobbed tail.
We feed him eggs, ground beef, cooked sweet potatoes, doggy vitamins daily, Often pork or beef bones, a spoon full of coconut oil, occasionally boiled chicken, steamed carrots, peas. Comparatively the same cost as a good brand of “overcooked” and ‘artificially” colored marketed dog food.
No poo to clean up, he goes to the woods.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I love Kids and Animals…and don’t we just love to talk about them!!

Not to crazy about all the stupid stuff on the internet….but regularly do watch the videos of kids/toddlers/babies/animals doing amusing and some “amazing” things.
A good heart-warming go to for me.