Finally, an explaination of what is going on in the House.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

bluedragon

Aug 7, 2021
Birmingham, Al
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The group of 20 that refuse to vote for McCarthy. This is all about the "Rules Committee" Right now, the Democrats have made the rules committee toxic in the eyes of this group of 20. The rules committee is controlled by a group of establishment entrenched members that disregard every rule in the House, to get the liberal agenda through and on to the floor for a vote at the last minute. No debate, no time to study the bill, just jammed through at the will of the Speaker .....(Nancy Pelosi)

The Republicans want at least four seats on that Committee. They want control. They want the ability to stop a bill from getting on the floor without proper study by the members. Current example the Omnibus Bill. That would have been stopped in it's tracks because the members did not have time to review before a vote. No debate. They also want the ability to fire McCarthy if he doesn't follow the desire to establish the original rules of the House. It sounds as if McCarthy was conceeding control of the Rules Committee and the Freedom Caucus was dead set against that.

Reactions: ScottA and marks

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
McCarthy elected speaker around midnight Friday. Trump called in and talked them into the support, plus McCarthy made concessions.

Trump and McCarthy are good friends and they both support each other.

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
  • Members of the conservative House Freedom Caucus got commitments to be added to the Rules panel. The committee exerts tremendous power by setting the terms of debate, but usually operates as a tool of the Speaker. (It traditionally has a 9:4 ratio, so the majority never loses).
  • McCarthy had already agreed to a five-vote requirement to make the motion, which sets up essentially a vote of no-confidence in the Speaker, and agreed to lower it to a single lawmaker.
  • McCarthy has agreed to take a hard line on increasing the statutory debt limit – which Congress must lift to accommodate spending it has agreed to through appropriations.
  • The holdouts reportedly got a pledge to get floor votes on term limits and border security. The former in particular could drive a wedge through the conference. McCarthy himself was elected to the House in 2006.
  • The Conservative Leadership Fund, a PAC backed by McCarthy, brokered a deal with the Club for Growth that will impact Republicans that join the House in the future. The CLF committed to stay out of ‘open’ primaries when a lawmakers vacates a seat. That gives arch conservatives a chance to prevail in a primary without getting pounded by leadership, which sometimes weighs in on behalf of candidates deemed more ‘electable.’
  • McCarthy reportedly agreed to allow ‘open rules’ on spending measures, which could lead to lengthy debates and efforts to zero out funding for programs unpopular with Republicans.
  • Another concessions is a cap on discretionary spending, CNN reported. although spending levels are usually negotiated by both chambers – and get influenced by the president’s budget requests.
  • Republicans are girding to take on the Biden administration, and the rebels forced a commitment to set up a committee on the ‘weaponization’ of the DOJ. The idea had been floated as a subcommittee on the House Judiciary Committee. It’s exact structure and membership was uncertain.

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
That was a list of demands granted by McCarthy

bluedragon

Aug 7, 2021
Birmingham, Al
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A lot was revealed over the course of this heavy weight boxing match that went 15 rounds ....We learned that Pelosi really fouled things up in the House.....What we expected all along .....But how many reading this learned that every Monday morning the Democrat Party Head and the Republican Party Head woud meet before members recovered from their hang over from the night before......The conversation went like this "We have 15 bills to pass this week." They would pass every one without a vote or debate on the floor. That ends ....This agreement will start the anti waste committee ......They will review programs and spending that is wasteful, and will cancel the waste ....One major takes place Monday ......87,000 IRS Agents will not be hired ....​

Reactions: ScottA

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A lot was revealed over the course of this heavy weight boxing match that went 15 rounds ....We learned that Pelosi really fouled things up in the House.....What we expected all along .....But how many reading this learned that every Monday morning the Democrat Party Head and the Republican Party Head woud meet before members recovered from their hang over from the night before......The conversation went like this "We have 15 bills to pass this week." They would pass every one without a vote or debate on the floor. That ends ....This agreement will start the anti waste committee ......They will review programs and spending that is wasteful, and will cancel the waste ....One major takes place Monday ......87,000 IRS Agents will not be hired ....​
This was true when both sides held the speakership. We see al the jousting and partisan bickering, but behind the scenes the leaders are collegial.

I remember Tip Oneill as Speaker when Reagan was POTUS> they would tear each other up in public, but go out for dinner and drinks often during th eweek.

Welcome to the world of realpolitick.

Dustykitten

Dec 3, 2022
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They circumvent the rules then? No wonder Nancy P. obtained the office regularly.

Why Lord, why can't we arrest these people, have a new Constitutional convention that installs term limits on the legislative and judicial branches, and insured illegal entry into our nation isn't sustained by corruption of what would be a reworded 14th amendment.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They circumvent the rules then? No wonder Nancy P. obtained the office regularly.

Why Lord, why can't we arrest these people, have a new Constitutional convention that installs term limits on the legislative and judicial branches, and insured illegal entry into our nation isn't sustained by corruption of what would be a reworded 14th amendment.
By we, you mean the Dutch?

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wrong board and thread.

We're speaking of American politics and government.
But your bio says you're in the Netherlands. You wrote "why can't we arrest these people, have a new Constitutional convention". Are you speaking of American politics and government? If you live in the Netherlands you aren't governed by the US.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Trump and McCarthy are good friends and they both support each other.
So if Trump is now supporting a RINO what does that make him? If a so-called "Republican" had to be forced to do what is right, it means that McCarthy is simply pretending to agree to the ones who had to compel him. He will turn out to be another Pelosi or Ryan, undermining Republicans and supporting Democrats.

Dustykitten

Dec 3, 2022
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But your bio says you're in the Netherlands. You wrote "why can't we arrest these people, have a new Constitutional convention". Are you speaking of American politics and government? If you live in the Netherlands you aren't governed by the US.

I changed my profiles country listing to avoid further confusion.

Americans can and do reside in the Netherlands. Therefore, American politics still impact our future.

Thanks.

bluedragon

Aug 7, 2021
Birmingham, Al
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I changed my profiles country listing to avoid further confusion.

Americans can and do reside in the Netherlands. Therefore, American politics still impact our future.

Thanks.
That's all right. I lved in Japan for six years ....Suddenly I would be Japanese?

It is confusing though maybe a tag of "American" is in order ....

Reactions: Dustykitten

Dustykitten

Dec 3, 2022
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's all right. I lved in Japan for six years ....Suddenly I would be Japanese?

It is confusing though maybe a tag of "American" is in order ....
I see my profile block in my posts shows my country as America, United States. That should clear it up. ☺️