Flesh versus Spirit

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
'For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty;
only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh,
but by love serve one another.
For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this;
Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
But if ye bite and devour one another,
take heed that ye be not consumed one of another.
This I say then,
Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.
For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh:
and these are contrary the one to the other:
so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.'

(Gal 5:13-17)

Hello there,

I want to share something with you in regard to the warring of the flesh against the spirit.

I have a sister in the flesh who is very dear to me, who is also a sister in the spirit, for she has been saved by grace, as I have, and we are one in Christ. We meet together every week to catch up on family matters, but also to fellowship together. Yet over the years time and again the flesh would rear it's head and inhibit our fellowship in the spirit. Family matters, personal grievances, disputations in one form or another would come along to prevent the sharing of the word, and mar our fellowship. These were not trivial matters some took a form which threatened to destroy the relationship we had in both spheres of our lives.

When we began to recognise these inhibitors for what they were, we took steps to prevent them, and each time we arrange to meet now, and on the journey we have to take to do so, we pray that the Lord will give us love and grace. We have only got each other 'in spirit', even though married with families of our own, so maintaining our relationship with each other is vital.

My Sister and I love each other, both in the flesh and in the spirit, yet we have known this struggle taking place, such strong personal attack. I simply want to send out a warning. For the same things happen in larger gatherings, wherever two or three (or more) are gathered in His Name, this form of attack will take place, especially when the truth is being revealed, and we have to be aware of this, and be on our guard; submit ourselves to God and resist the enemy, letting our Lord's love and grace have full sway, forgiving one another.

Looking back over the truth that the Lord Has brought us into, it is not surprising that we had to undergo such struggles, for He has not only revealed the lies of the enemy and made us aware of his ways; but has brought us into the truth that is in Christ Jesus our risen Lord, in all His fulness, to the praise of His glory and grace.

He has rescued and He has saved.
Praise His Holy Name!

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
'For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty;
only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh,
but by love serve one another.
This I say then,

Hello there,

I want to share something with you in regard to the warring of the flesh against the spirit.

I have a sister in the flesh who is very dear to me, who is also a sister in the spirit, for she has been saved by grace, as I have, and we are one in Christ. We meet together every week to catch up on family matters, but also to fellowship together. Yet over the years time and again the flesh would rear it's head and inhibit our fellowship in the spirit. Family matters, personal grievances, disputations in one form or another would come along to prevent the sharing of the word, and mar our fellowship. These were not trivial matters some took a form which threatened to destroy the relationship we had in both spheres of our lives.

When we began to recognise these inhibitors for what they were, we took steps to prevent them, and each time we arrange to meet now, and on the journey we have to take to do so, we pray that the Lord will give us love and grace. We have only got each other 'in spirit', even though married with families of our own, so maintaining our relationship with each other is vital.

My Sister and I love each other, both in the flesh and in the spirit, yet we have known this struggle taking place, such strong personal attack. I simply want to send out a warning. For the same things happen in larger gatherings, wherever two or three (or more) are gathered in His Name, this form of attack will take place, especially when the truth is being revealed, and we have to be aware of this, and be on our guard; submit ourselves to God and resist the enemy, letting our Lord's love and grace have full sway, forgiving one another.

Looking back over the truth that the Lord Has brought us into, it is not surprising that we had to undergo such struggles, for He has not only revealed the lies of the enemy and made us aware of his ways; but has brought us into the truth that is in Christ Jesus our risen Lord, in all His fulness, to the praise of His glory and grace.

He has rescued and He has saved.
Praise His Holy Name!

In Christ Jesus
Chris

There is nothing better than having a close friend maam, especially when the friendship has the threefold cord in it. A great scripture to go along with your post would be this:
(Proverbs 18:24) . . .There exist companions disposed to break one another to pieces, but there exists a friend sticking closer than a brother.

I wish you and your friend an eternity of friendship.

Reactions: charity and Ziggy

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I tried to find a verse that would kind of sum up what your post spoke to me.
I would have to copy paste most the bible LOL.

One thing though that is standing out is this verse:
Job 14:7 For there is hope of a tree, if it be cut down, that it will sprout again, and that the tender branch thereof will not cease.

There are two trees. One of self knowledge of good and evil and one of truth and life.
When we come to know God, that tree of knowledge is chopped away to the stump.
While at the same time the tree of life is growing and sprouting new branches.

The things of this world, the carnal things we dwell on, the arguments, past wrongs, etc..
these give water to that tree which has been chopped down. And it tries to cling on even if it is swamp water.

At the same time, the more we think on positive things, and forgive one another,
the stronger and more graceful the tree of life grows. With pure living water.

And here is hope.
That even though the branches may get broken or the well sometimes runs dry,
God is always there to replenish and fertalize the tree he has planted in us.

The devil always tries to cut us down.
But through faith in God he will never succeed.

thinking...
Hugs
Thank You @charity

Reactions: charity

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hello there, @Ziggy, @Robert Gwin, @marks

Thank you for your responses. So lovely to receive. :)

* I read the following quote this morning, which is in keeping with the OP:-

'The more excellent a mere natural man is, the less of evil is he conscious of possessing. Not so the child of God; for the more spiritually minded he becomes, the more conscious is he of his imperfections, and of his utter inability of himself for anything good before God. This is the only feature in the child of God which has no natural imitation. There may be a natural faith in Christ, a natural love for Christ, a natural following of Christ, and even a natural conviction of sin, all without salvation: but never is there a continued natural conviction of utter inability for anything good before God. This is entirely and always the result of a spiritual nature previously given. The more a mere natural man has of natural religious regard for the Lord Jesus, the more satisfied is he with himself; whereas, the more there is of spiritual regard for the Lord Jesus, the more is there of increased dissatisfaction with self.

... The natural man has no new spiritual nature, with its spiritual principle, whereby to judge the natural, and therefore the natural judging the natural, he is right well pleased. The child of God, however, possess a new spiritual nature, whereby, with its spiritual principles, he can judge the natural that is in him. He only is able to have a right understanding of the natural; and the more healthy the manifestation of the spiritual nature, the more deep and vivid is the consciousness of the evil of the mere natural '
(from, 'Counsels and Thoughts for Believers', by Thomas Moor)

Praise God!

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:
Reactions: Ziggy

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello there, @Ziggy, @Robert Gwin, @marks

Thank you for your responses. So lovely to receive. :)

* I read the following quote this morning, which is in keeping with the OP:-

'The more excellent a mere natural man is, the less of evil is he conscious of possessing. Not so the child of God; for the more spiritually minded he becomes, the more conscious is he of his imperfections, and of his utter inability of himself for anything good before God. This is the only feature in the child of God which has no natural imitation. There may be a natural faith in Christ, a natural love for Christ, a natural following of Christ, and even a natural conviction of sin, all without salvation: but never is there a continued natural conviction of utter inability for anything good before God. This is entirely and always the result of a spiritual nature previously given. The more a mere natural man has of natural religious regard for the Lord Jesus, the more satisfied is he with himself; whereas, the more there is of spiritual regard for the Lord Jesus, the more is there of increased dissatisfaction with self.

... The natural man has no new spiritual nature, with its spiritual principle, whereby to judge the natural, and therefore the natural judging the natural, he is right well pleased. The child of God, however, possess a new spiritual nature, whereby, with its spiritual principles, he can judge the natural that is in him. He only is able to have a right understanding of the natural; and the more healthy the manifestation of the spiritual nature, the more deep and vivid is the consciousness of the evil of the mere natural '
(from, 'Counsels and Thoughts for Believers', by Thomas Moor)

Praise God!

In Christ Jesus
Chris
You are very welcome maam.

Marc RL Ministry

May 28, 2021
Melbourne
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
This I say then,

When we put God and others before ourselves the rest takes care of its self very easy to say but not many actually do it including myself when I am not in the spirit its a constant challenge to draw closer to the Lord Jesus Christ and walk his ways he is the perfect template.

That is why his disciples received the holy spirit and much of the church has not because we don't walk as he commands we follow prophets.

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
This I say then,

When we put God and others before ourselves the rest takes care of its self very easy to say but not many actually do it including myself when I am not in the spirit its a constant challenge to draw closer to the Lord Jesus Christ and walk his ways he is the perfect template.

That is why his disciples received the holy spirit and much of the church has not because we don't walk as he commands we follow prophets.
'But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light,
we have fellowship one with another,
and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanseth us from all sin.'
(1John 1:7)

Hello @Marc RL Ministry,

Thank you for your response, it is appreciated.

Your reference to the Lord as a 'template' made me think of something I have been considering this morning, concerning Christ Jesus our blessed Lord, and 'the vail' of the temple which typifies Him. Yet the vail of the temple was designed to keep humanity out of the presence of a Holy God, and it is the perfect humanity of Christ which emphasises the impossibility of us being able to enter into God's presence as we are.

It was only when the precious blood of that perfect humanity of the Lord Jesus Christ had been shed that we could, by our identification with Him, in His death, burial, quickening and resurrection, walk in the light of God's presence as He does: our sins having been forgiven; and only by dwelling in the light, as He is in the light, will our faces shine with the reflected glory of His presence.

Looking unto Jesus, the Author and Finisher of our Faith.
In Christ Jesus
Chris