Following Paul

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Surely, there's nothing wrong with following his example of talking to the Lord, but in context I think you can see he's talking about following his example of seeking the good of others, not your own good, doing all things to the glory of God:

31So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all to the glory of God. 32Do not become a stumbling block, whether to Jews or Greeks or the church of God— 33as I also try to please everyone in all I do. For I am not seeking my own good, but the good of many, that they may be saved.

1You are to imitate me, just as I imitate Christ.2Now I commend you for remembering me in everything and for maintaining the traditions, just as I passed them on to you.

1 Corinthians 10:31-33 1 Corinthians 11:1-2
Just as Paul tells Timothy to be a behavioral example to his people:

"...set an example for the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith, in purity. " 1 Timothy 4:12
I think a main purpose of Jesus was to set an example. He prayed a lot, didn't he? Paul told us to pray constantly (1 Thessalonians 5:17).

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
'Love your neighbor as yourself' is HOW you fulfill the command to love the Lord:

"...he who loves his neighbor has fulfilled the law. The commandments “Do not commit adultery,” “Do not murder,” “Do not steal,” “Do not covet,” and any other commandments (like 'love the Lord your God...'), are summed up in this one decree: “Love your neighbor as yourself.” Romans 13:8-9
You can't love the Lord without loving your neighbor. At the judgment Jesus will explain how we loved him when we loved others, particularly, those who were suffering and in need:

‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of Mine, you did for Me.’ Matthew 25:40
Loving your neighbor is part of loving God. But God told us to do two things - love him with all your heart, mind, and soul (this was the first and great commandment) and love your neighbor as yourself (Matthew 22:34-40).

Desire Of All Nations

Jun 23, 2021
Troy
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Paul taught Gentiles the same exact gospel message Christ taught to the Jews:

1. Christ: “I must preach the kingdom of God to the other cities also, because for this purpose I have been sent.” - Luk. 4:43

Paul: “And indeed, now I know that you all, among whom I have gone preaching the kingdom of God, will see my face no more." - Acts 20:25

2. Christ: "For I have given you an example, that you should do as I have done to you." - Jhn 13:15

Paul: "For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness(standard of law-keeping) to everyone who believes." - Rom. 10:4

3. Christ : “Therefore you shall be perfect, just as your Father in heaven is perfect.""“Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven." - Matt. 5:48, 16

Paul: "Do all things without complaining and disputing, that you may become blameless and harmless, children of God without fault in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world," - Phl. 2:14-15

4. Christ: If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love, just as I have kept My Father's commandments and abide in His love." - Jhn. 15:10

Paul: "As you therefore have received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in Him, rooted and built up in Him and established in the faith, as you have been taught, abounding in it with thanksgiving." - Col. 2:6-7

Reactions: Ancient