Following Paul

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Our job is to lead people to Jesus, not lead people to Paul.
Who said anything about "leading people to Paul"? You continue to make all kinds of assumptions instead of accepting the fact that Paul actually told Christians to follow him as he followed Christ. In fact he also said "I am crucified with Christ".

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's all you know? You don't know anything else?

Well, you may know Jesus is boss, but you don't know what he said.
Yes, I know what Jesus taught us, beginning with love the Lord with all your heart, mind, and soul (the first and great commandment), and love your neighbor as yourself.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Who said anything about "leading people to Paul"? You continue to make all kinds of assumptions instead of accepting the fact that Paul actually told Christians to follow him as he followed Christ. In fact he also said "I am crucified with Christ".
I'm pointing out that only Jesus was perfect.

soul man

Jan 6, 2018
Fletcher
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Paul said 2 or 3 times "follow me", but also said follow me as I follow Christ. Paul never pointed to himself, and in fact, he somewhat spoke against that notion in 1 Cor 1. He was pointing to the Gospel which is is Christ. He said follow me, but he was preaching Jesus with his (Jesus') approval via Acts 9:15.

Correct but what is at issue is Paul said to follow him! Into the deep things of God.

soul man

Jan 6, 2018
Fletcher
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus will lead the way. You might remember the two great commandments: Love the Lord with all you heart, soul, and mind (the first and great commandment), and love your neighbor as yourself (Matthew 22:34-40).

But how is he going to lead you? Do you have a pin pointed answer for that statement!

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No one said anything about being saved by another gospel'. Keep reading!
When you speak in terms of one Gospel for the Jews and another for the Gentiles, it strikes me as being another Gospel.

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How about the Christ that is in you? What is that all about - you have anything on that. Speculation.. revelation..what do you have? Let's talk.
Christ in me is not the Gospel. The Gospel is something that happened outside of us like Jesus died for our sins two thousand years ago on a bloodied cross overhanging Golgatha.
The Holy Spirit in us is for those born again, for empowerment and sanctification. Let’s talk.

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When was it the gospel went to the gentiles. A more important question is; what was the gospel that went to the gentiles? the Gospel that would go to the gentiles would be a different gospel than Israel had recieved for hundreds of years; which was law. The law was 'a gospel' message to live a certain way to have a relationship with God. To be what God wanted you to be.

Acts 28:28, gives us the reference to when the gospel went to the gentiles. It would be a gospel (the only gospel) that would tell it's listeners 'to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ' for their salvation. There would be a man that God would raise up all through the book of Acts that would receive a revelation of the Christ in him (Gal. 1:16), and begin to minister and preach that person. He would be 'the Apostle to the gentiles.' That man who was once called Saul of Tarsus; would come to be known as "Paul the Apostle."

We must follow Paul through his epistles and see what this man had to say. Former believers had a hard time coming to trust Paul because he either killed Christians, or had a hand in killing Christians. So he was slow to be accepted by other believers of his day. You can learn from Paul as you follow him through scripture! he is the only one that will give you the 'in Christ message' in all of scripture. Not even Jesus gave us the in Christ message as Paul did..not while he walked the earth. He gave it to Paul only after he ascended. Paul received revelation of what Christianity was supposed to be. That is why Paul says to follow him, and that is why you can follow Paul through the scriptures and trust what he has say. Very important to your growth!

Therefore I beseech you, be ye followers of me. - 1 Corinthians 4:16.

Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ. - 1 Corinthians 11:1.

Brethren, be followers together of me, and mark those who so walk, as ye have us for an example. - Philippians 3:17.

Except there is not a kingdom gospel offered only to the Jews by Jesus, and a separate gospel of grace preached by Paul.

There’s one gospel of the kingdom of Christ preached first to the Jew by Jesus, and then to the Jew, and Greek/gentile, by Paul.

Reactions: Ferris Bueller

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
There's only ONE Gospel by which we are saved and to introduce another Gospel has it's consequences...

Galatians 1:8-9 (KJV) But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed. As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.

Galatians 2:9 (KJV) And when James, Cephas, and John, who seemed to be pillars, perceived the grace that was given unto me, they gave to me and Barnabas the right hands of fellowship; that we should go unto the heathen, and they unto the circumcision.

1 Corinthians 15:1-4 (KJV) Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand; By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain. For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

Jew and Gentiles are saved the same way by the same message.
@prism Great verses there!

Reactions: prism

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I think we should follow Paul's example he set as he followed Messiah.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, we talk things over with the Lord.
Surely, there's nothing wrong with following his example of talking to the Lord, but in context I think you can see he's talking about following his example of seeking the good of others, not your own good, doing all things to the glory of God:

31So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all to the glory of God. 32Do not become a stumbling block, whether to Jews or Greeks or the church of God— 33as I also try to please everyone in all I do. For I am not seeking my own good, but the good of many, that they may be saved.

1You are to imitate me, just as I imitate Christ.2Now I commend you for remembering me in everything and for maintaining the traditions, just as I passed them on to you.

1 Corinthians 10:31-33 1 Corinthians 11:1-2
Just as Paul tells Timothy to be a behavioral example to his people:

"...set an example for the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith, in purity. " 1 Timothy 4:12

Last edited:
Reactions: Truman

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus said the first and great commandment is to love the Lord with all your heart, mind, and soul. Paul said the law is summed up in "love your neighbor as yourself." I have to go along with what Jesus said - he's the Lord.
'Love your neighbor as yourself' is HOW you fulfill the command to love the Lord:

"...he who loves his neighbor has fulfilled the law. The commandments “Do not commit adultery,” “Do not murder,” “Do not steal,” “Do not covet,” and any other commandments (like 'love the Lord your God...'), are summed up in this one decree: “Love your neighbor as yourself.” Romans 13:8-9
You can't love the Lord without loving your neighbor. At the judgment Jesus will explain how we loved him when we loved others, particularly, those who were suffering and in need:

‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of Mine, you did for Me.’ Matthew 25:40

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I used to lead worship. I'd stand there, "looking at the Lord." They'd think, "What's he looking at." They'd look to where I was looking, see the Lord, and forget all about me. My job was done. They wouldn't follow me, they'd follow my lead.
I think it's this sort of thing Paul was getting at.

Reactions: Ferris Bueller

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You can learn from Paul as you follow him through scripture! he is the only one that will give you the 'in Christ message' in all of scripture. Not even Jesus gave us the in Christ message as Paul did..not while he walked the earth. He gave it to Paul only after he ascended.
22I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one— 23I in them and you in me—so that they may be brought to complete unity. Then the world will know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me.

26I have made you e known to them, and will continue to make you known in order that the love you have for me may be in them and that I myself may be in them.” John 17:22-26

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I used to lead worship. I'd stand there, "looking at the Lord." They'd think, "What's he looking at." They'd look to where I was looking, see the Lord, and forget all about me. My job was done. They wouldn't follow me, they'd follow my lead.
I think it's this sort of thing Paul was getting at.
It's true.
If you minister to people and they still see you after seeing the Lord, you have failed in your ministry to some degree.