For those who don't believe in prophets today....explain this

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And superman is just another devil diversion as are all super heroes... So called.

Look at superman.
1. The only son of his father
2. Comes from a distant place
3. Comes to save mankind
4. Has supernatural powers
5. Nothing can hurt him
6. Can be anywhere in a flash
7. Has an answer for every problem
8. Men seek Him, not God
9. Children absorb this nonsense making them more gospel resistant

Time and again satan produces diversions to turn eyes away from the only real savior.

Reactions: Heart2Soul
D

Dave L

In 1984 I was attending college in Tonkawa, Oklahoma....Northern Oklahoma College. On one particular day after class I was driving home and was listening to a Christian radio station. An advertisement came on announcing and upcoming event of a prophet-evangelist coming to a church in Oklahoma City as a guest and who would be ministering to those who attended. The Holy Spirit spoke to me and said pull over and write down the information...time, date and address.

When I got home I went into my bedroom and prayed and asked if I was supposed to attend this service and the Holy Spirit said YES.

The day of the service I dressed and drove to Oklahoma City...(it was a 2 hour drive). When I got there (no GPS at that time) I had to stop and ask for directions 4 times. Now in my mind I am expecting a huge beautiful church....when I finally found the church it was a little white building not much bigger than a house. I was the only car in the parking lot....I saw a light was on so I went inside and there was a little ole black lady in the pews. So I sat down and looked at my watch. It said 7:30....I waited, and waited, and finally I went over to that lady and asked her about the service and if it was suppose to start at 7:30.....she said "honey it is fixin' to fill up...they be showin up..anytimes now...don't you fret." and then she smiled....well sure enough the church filled up and by 8p.m. it was full.....They were all black people....I was talking to God in my mind and asking "Lord is this a test to see if I am prejudice? You know my heart better than I do so I don't understand."

Well the song and worship leader led the singing....then the pastor began preaching.....no sign of the special guest speaker....I cannot even tell you what the pastor's sermon was about because by 9 p.m. I was upset and crying that I came all this way for nothing. (Feeling sorry for myself because I had a test to study for and I should have stayed home)…..
The pastor finally closed his sermon and introduced the guest speaker....this man stood before the congregation upon the stage and just began pointing to people and they would stand up and he would speak a prophetic word to them....and this went on for awhile...I was really in awe that he could know all this about these people...I had never heard a prophet speak.

Then he stopped....I looked at my watch it was 10 p.m. and I thought he was getting ready to dismiss....….but then......he spoke.....he said..."there is a lady here, her name is Patty, she is from Pawnee, Oklahoma, her dentist name is Dr. Keith Smith and she just had a filling repaired a few days ago and it cost her 35 dollars...and if she is here the Lord has a word for her".
I was in shock...I even looked around to see who there knew me....then I raised my hand and said that is me.
He said come up here....(he didn't make anyone else walk up to the front)...so I walked up to the front. Then he looked me directly in the eye and said...."the next several years of your life will be like one behind an old plow shear plowing a field....this is symbolic of the trials and tribulations you will suffer but if you remain faithful to the Lord in the end you will receive your harvest."
This really didn't mean much to me at the time but as the years came and went I would remember this word every time I suffered a major trial or tribulation.

Now I need to also say that a month or so after this...another advertisement about another prophet in OKC...same thing...the Holy Spirit said go...I went ….he prophesied the same prophesy as the 1st one.

So for those who say there are NO PROPHETS today....PLEASE EXPLAIN THIS.
Scripture says there are no prophets today. But we know supernatural knowledge is on tap from the wrong sources. I can't believe your experience came from a good place whether natural (pilfering) or supernatural. King Saul consulted a medium and it's possible you did too unknowingly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think the old prophets "warned", and those today "encourage." My wife and I were singled out twice by strangers to let us know that a business venture in which we had been losing $500+ a week for a couple of months, was going to turn around. We were told we were like a garden hose concerning $, and as long as we kept watering God's garden, we would never lack for anything. We continued, and we have always had more than we need.

(PS) A few years later, we grossed over $8,000 in one day. It didn't always go that well, but it sure kept us remembering those prophesies.

D

Dave L

I think the old prophets "warned", and those today "encourage." My wife and I were singled out twice by strangers to let us know that a business venture in which we had been losing $500+ a week for a couple of months, was going to turn around. We were told we were like a garden hose concerning $, and as long as we kept watering God's garden, we would never lack for anything. We continued, and we have always had more than we need.
Is this prophecy though? Maybe logic based on God's promises that whatever you set your hand to do will prosper?

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is this prophecy though? Maybe logic based on God's promises that whatever you set your hand to do will prosper?
We would have probably quit that business if it had not been for those words from those two people... words that came about a week apart, from two different sources. As it was, we hung in there and made good $ for about 12 years.

D

Dave L

We would have probably quit that business if it had not been for those words from those two people... words that came about a week apart, from two different sources. As it was, we hung in there and made good $ for about 12 years.
That's fine but faith speaks in matters predicting results before they materialize.

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't think ANYTHING will be seen as "prophesy" or even from God, if you want to believe it isn't. I have seen countless miracles where others have seen just coincidence... or simply "luck."

D

Dave L

I don't think ANYTHING will be seen as "prophesy" or even from God, if you want to believe it isn't. I have seen countless miracles where others have seen just coincidence... or simply "luck."
If you go by scripture alone, you can have faith. You cannot have biblical faith from extra biblical revelations. It will dissipate when tested.

D

Dave L

Didn't you see where I wrote we were losing $500 a week (for two months) when those things were said to us?
If you knew scripture, you would know that whatever you do as a Christian will prosper. And you can stand on that. You cannot stand on anything else.

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you go by scripture alone, you can have faith. You cannot have biblical faith from extra biblical revelations. It will dissipate when tested.
When Saul/Paul was struck from his horse, not a word of any of what he experienced was written in any Scripture he had ever read. When Moses saw the burning bush, or Arron threw down his staff, or numerous other Biblical things happened, NONE of them were written anywhere for those people to read about and have faith in some words they found written on parchment.

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you knew scripture, you would know that whatever you do as a Christian will prosper. And you can stand on that. You cannot stand on anything else.
Well, you go ahead and trust in Bibliolatry, but I will also accept the things God surprises me with in everyday miracles. See?, we can both be happy in what we have chosen to believe in.

D

Dave L

Well, you go ahead and trust in Bibliolatry, but I will also accept the things God surprises me with in everyday miracles. See?, we can both be happy in what we have chosen to believe in.
If you cannot trust God's written word, who or what can you trust?
““It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing; the words that I have spoken to you are spirit and are life.” (John 6:63) (NASB95)

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I understand. I was CoC for 12 years, and in those days I firmly believed The Holy Spirit was nothing more than the power that influenced around 44 men to write things down... things that we call a Bible.

D

Dave L

I understand. I was CoC for 12 years, and in those days I firmly believed The Holy Spirit was nothing more than the power that influenced around 44 men to write things down... things that we call a Bible.
I started out Charismatic and learned quite a lot of the views I hold today. But if you make all that they teach conform to scripture and replace the errors, It provides a solid and lively faith that is lacking in most denominations.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Scripture says there are no prophets today. But we know supernatural knowledge is on tap from the wrong sources. I can't believe your experience came from a good place whether natural (pilfering) or supernatural. King Saul consulted a medium and it's possible you did too unknowingly.
But this not true....it does not say there are no prophets today.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Who was the "Prophet". Do you have his name so we can look further into his credibility?
I don't remember his name or the name of the other prophet who gave the exact same prophecy. Neither of these men were known on TV or in the circle of whose who in ministry. But that is how a prophet should be....all credits belong to God not them.