Forgiveness vs Atonement

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
the legalist says we must earn salvation by works, by running the race
It’s the Holy Spirit in us, who keeps us running the race...many a time I have cried out to God and said I’ve had enough, please, please Lord help me......that’s want he wants, to rely solely on HIM....

When I am weak he is mightily STRONG....he has intervened in a particular situation I was in, he gave me a way out, it was amazing, my belief and opinion....I just knew in my spirit that he did it,Praise God.

Since I’ve come to a place of understanding that....I have been filled with God’s peace.....I wait on him...and 100% rely only on him.....

Last edited:

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It’s the Holy Spirit in us, who keeps us running the race...many a time I have cried out to God and said I’ve had enough, please, please Lord help me......that’s want he wants, to rely solely on HIM....

When I am weak he is mightily STRONG....he has intervened in a particular situation I was in, he gave me a way out, it was amazing, my belief and opinion....I just knew in my spirit that he did it,Praise God.

Since I’ve come to a place of understanding that....I have been filled with God’s peace.....I wait on him...and 100% rely only on him.....
and you will be rewarded for this.. for it bears fruit..

• Love
Reactions: Ritajanice

Lizbeth

Jul 22, 2022
Ontario, Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
It’s the buying more oil for our lamps to keep them lit...that’s what I’m not understanding ...please explain?
Parable of the ten virgins. And remember Jesus said to count the cost of following Him. And the parable of the man who was building a tower but didn't have sufficient to finish it. Scripture says to "buy" the truth but sell it not. And notice the extra oil for the virgins' lamps is a commodity that costs, ie, it has to be bought. We have our part in the new covenant, just like both parties have their part in maintaining a marriage relationship. And in the parable of the talents, we see how the Lord wants us to grow our initial measure of grace and faith. We are to be growing into spiritual maturity. The price we pay to remain faithful to the Lord helps us to grow ("if we suffer with Him we will also reign with Him"), as well as His word is a light unto our path showing us the way.

Lizbeth

Jul 22, 2022
Ontario, Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

You wait on the Lord, you rely on Him and you cry out to Him and seek Him, and I assume you also obey Him the best you know how even when it hurts. This is the part of the believer and in so doing we are growing and maturing, as the Lord also does His part. In the parable of the talents, the one who buried his talent accused the Lord of being harsh.....to me that means he wasn't willing to suffer the harsh things (trials, tribs and chastisements) that come with knowing and following the Lord.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
You wait on the Lord, you rely on Him and you cry out to Him and seek Him, and I assume you also obey Him the best you know how even when it hurts.

No. I look to the Holy Spirit for guidance on how to obey God..
This is the part of the believer and in so doing we are growing and maturing, as the Lord also does His part. In the parable of the talents, the one who buried his talent accused the Lord of being harsh.....to me that means he wasn't willing to suffer the harsh things (trials, tribs and chastisements) that come with knowing and following the Lord.
A Born Again is called to follow Christ for they have been birthed in the spirit.

A Born Again can do no other than suffer for Christ...

They have nowhere to go other than their Father in Heaven...and we do it through the Ho,y Spirit who is in our spirit.

Buried his talent doesn’t make sense to me through the Spirit.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You wait on the Lord, you rely on Him and you cry out to Him and seek Him, and I assume you also obey Him the best you know how even when it hurts. This is the part of the believer and in so doing we are growing and maturing, as the Lord also does His part. In the parable of the talents, the one who buried his talent accused the Lord of being harsh.....to me that means he wasn't willing to suffer the harsh things (trials, tribs and chastisements) that come with knowing and following the Lord.
which would beg the question.

did he trust his lord at all?

Lizbeth

Jul 22, 2022
Ontario, Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Salvation is a gift.. the entrance to heaven is a gift.. justification is a gift..

the reward. Yes we fight for this and work for it.. But that is not for salvation
’that is where the confusion comes in

the legalist says we must earn salvation by works, by running the race

the licentious says there is no race, we just say some prayer and magically we are saved, now we can go live however we want

the grace person says like the tax collector. i cant save myself. Have mercy on me,, God saves him

he then spends the rest of his life out of gratitude working to produce fruit.. and recieve reward.. or sitting down, and doing very little works, and watching his reward burned but he will still be saved.. God will never leave nor forsake him
Think I know what you mean and it is not always easy to say it in the right way without inadvertently nullifying any side of the coin, but in James the bible says that we are not justified by faith alone, but by faith and works working together. We do come out of Egypt (leaving the womb so to speak - being born again), by faith alone, but after that faith will produce works....even where it says to believe in our heart and confess with our mouth...the confess with our mouth part is really the first "work" that we do, and it is working with our faith, since the bible says "with the mouth confession is made unto salvation" This agrees with where in James it says by works faith is made perfect. Faith that doesn't have any kind of expression or manifestation at all is dead. We are to produce fruits in keeping with repentance, obeying the Lord, keeping His commandments etc.

Azim

Sep 25, 2020
Vancouver
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Think I know what you mean and it is not always easy to say it in the right way without inadvertently nullifying any side of the coin, but in James the bible says that we are not justified by faith alone, but by faith and works working together. We do come out of Egypt (leaving the womb so to speak - being born again), by faith alone, but after that faith will produce works....even where it says to believe in our heart and confess with our mouth...the confess with our mouth part is really the first "work" that we do, and it is working with our faith, since the bible says "with the mouth confession is made unto salvation" This agrees with where in James it says by works faith is made perfect. Faith that doesn't have any kind of expression or manifestation at all is dead. We are to produce fruits in keeping with repentance, obeying the Lord, keeping His commandments etc.

My personal belief, to understanding works for one who has faith, is that the "works" are a manifestation of our love for God. For He loved us first, so can we not return that love back, which He generously gave us in the first place? One can find doing "works" as a labour or burden. However, if its a true manifestation of our love for God, joy and peace will accompany it. :)

Lizbeth

Jul 22, 2022
Ontario, Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
No. I look to the Holy Spirit for guidance on how to obey God..

A Born Again is called to follow Christ for they have been birthed in the spirit.

A Born Again can do no other than suffer for Christ...

They have nowhere to go other than their Father in Heaven...and we do it through the Ho,y Spirit who is in our spirit.

Buried his talent doesn’t make sense to me through the Spirit.
Yes, we are to seek His will and His strength or power to do His will. Is that what you mean? I won't try to speak for others but sometimes I find that I have fallen short in something and need to seek the Lord for strength to obey or for Him to change me so that I can.

I'm not sure I agree with "a born again can do no other than suffer for Christ". Are you saying it's not possible for a born again believer to ever err? Then there would be no need for all the instruction and admonitions and encouragements in scripture.

That is what it says in the parable of the talents....he did bury his talent. I'm sorry but I'm not understanding what you mean about it not making sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: L.A.M.B.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, we are to seek His will and His strength or power to do His will. Is that what you mean?
No, I don’t need to seek him Lizbeth..because he found me and birthed me inthe Spirit....the Holy Spirit revealed to me God’s will for a certain area of my life....I could not accept it at first, I:was a new babe and didn’t understand that it was his will..I understand it now and the Holy Spirit has brought me to full submission to do his will.....it’s been a very long and hard road...but, he got me there in the end.LOL
I won't try to speak for others but sometimes I find that I have fallen short in something and need to seek the Lord for strength to obey or for Him to change me so that I can.
Amen!..me too.
I'm not sure I agree with "a born again can do no other than suffer for Christ". Are you saying it's not possible for a born again believer to ever err? Then there would be no need for all the instruction and admonitions and encouragements in scripture.
Of course we err...what I mean is the Holy Spirit keeps us in our suffering..he helps us with it.
That is what it says in the parable of the talents....he did bury his talent. I'm sorry but I'm not understanding what you mean about it not making sense.
Yes, I agree
I will read about it..then get back to you.

I read to quickly , therefore was confused..as I say I will read that scripture...then ask you any questions I have..thanks Lizbeth.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lizbeth

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But we have to take James in context.

James spoke to people who were hearers of the word, not doers.

He said they CLAIMED to have faith, he never said they did have faith.

and he starts out with the question..

what if someone CLAIMS to have faith, but has no work, CAN THAT FAITH (CLAIMED) save him?

remember also.. Abraham was declared righteous in Gen 15. before he did one work. and decaded before he went to offer his son..

James also said, You show me YOUR FAITH without your works, and i will PROVE my faith with my works.

think of the faith hall of fame (hebrews 11) .. what is the one item that all of those hall of faimers had in common?

They did not just claim they had faith, they had true saving faith, Proven by the fact, they did what they were told to do (works)

Abraham proved he had true faith, and if you look at his life, his faith grew. to the point, KNOWING God would raise his son from the dead. he offered to sacrifice him. I hope we both can agree in the begining, Abraham did not have this great of faith (look at all his sins up to this time)

yet again, Abraham was declaired righteous in Gen 15. before he had one kid.

I think we need to be careful in adding works to faith and declairing this is what saves us,, Paul made it clear in romans 4, when he was addressing the jews who tried to add works to faith. that Abraham was not found by works, but by Faith.. And that grace and works do not mix, it can only be one or the other.

The Jews added works to faith and said that is how we get to heaven (are saved) and paul called them fools. this is what people like Epi are tryign to do

it sounds great to the flesh (we are trying to be good, to please God)

but to the spirit, it is dead works, because they can not save.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Maybe a shallow root, that the parable of the sower speaks about...at once received the word with joy but when trouble or persecution comes they fall away.
If the word of God penetrated their heart...I don’t believe anyone could ever fall away...in other words he birthed them in the Spirit.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My personal belief, to understanding works for one who has faith, is that the "works" are a manifestation of our love for God. For He loved us first, so can we not return that love back, which He generously gave us in the first place? One can find doing "works" as a labour or burden. However, if its a true manifestation of our love for God, joy and peace will accompany it. :)
matt 11: 28 Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.”

It is those who try to live by the law.. a burden paul said even the fathers could not keep. that makes it hard..

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Maybe a shallow root, that the parable of the sower speaks about...at once received the word with joy but when trouble or persecution comes they fall away.
I think the one who hid his talent, out of fear. did not trust the master.

If he did, he would have went out and did the work. knowing even that if he failed. the master would not punish him..

Status
Not open for further replies.