Forgiving others though it may be difficult

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
[SIZE=14.3999996185303px]We may know all the scriptures telling us to forgive, but speaking that forgiveness aloud doesn't make the feelings of bitterness go away. The scriptures only tell us we need to forgive. Bitterness does not uproot the moment we speak, the heart may still harbor contempt. We can be left struggling to try and forgive with our heart, over which we have no direct control. Forgiveness isn't as quick as it may seem.[/SIZE]

At least that has been my experience. I found it necessary to pray to God to help uproot the bitterness that the betrayal left behind. The prayers were answered.

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I read an excellent book on forgiveness...Forgive and Love Again by John W. Nieder and Thomas M. Thompson

Small book speaking on forgiveness from a biblical perspective.

"Forgiveness is not to be limited by the offender's response, nor is it to be extended to certain violators. It doesn't matter how the offender responds after his trespass or how heinous his assault was. We are to forgive those who offend us-period" (61-62)

Dan57 said:
We are instructed to forgive others just as our Father has forgiven us. When we confess our sins to the Lord and repent of them, God forgives our transgressions. I believe that's the same basis on which God expects us to forgive those who have transgressed against us. In other words, if someone steals your lawnmower out of your garage and refuses to apologize (confess) and refuses to return it (repents), I don't think a Christian is obligated to forgive them. "If thy brother trespass against thee, rebuke him; and if he repent, forgive him" (Luke 17:3).

Also, just because someone repents and you forgive them, it doesn't mean that they aren't liable or responsible for what they did. If someone wrecks your car, you can forgive them, but it doesn't mean they aren't responsible to reimburse you for the damages, that's what true repentance is. Its the same with a murderer, they can repent of the crime and be forgiven, but it doesn't absolve them from paying the penalty of the land. Spiritual forgiveness does not prevent us from reaping what we sow in the here and now. jmo
The book directly speaks to the Luke passage...

"In the context of the command our Lord is preparing us for the offenses that will inevitably come. He admonishes us to make positive, loving, forgiving responses to anyone who hurts us. He is making a general statement about forgiveness that should not press too far on the one word repent.
Furthermore, in the Greek text the if in the phrase if he repents means maybe he will, maybe he won't. The point of the verse is not the offender's repentance but our readiness to forgive, even if the offense is repeated an infinite number of times by the same person." (63-64)

Why should you forgive?
1. Forgiveness exercises God-pleasing faith.
2. Forgiveness is the honorable thing to do.
3. Forgive because God says so.

and in the negative...

1. Unforgiveness imprisons you in your past.
2. Unforgiveness breeds bitterness.
3. Unforgiveness gives Satan an open door.
4. Unforgiveness hinders your fellowship with God.

(45-54)

Forgiveness is the heartfelt decision to release the person who hurt you from the obligation incurred when you were mistreated.

The Bible gives 88 different word pictures of forgiveness...here are a few.

To forgive is to turn the key, open the cell door, and let the prisoner free.
To forgive is to write in large letters across a debt, "NOTHING OWED".
To forgive is to shoot an arrow so high and so far it can never be found.

(57-59)

"Release" is the best one-word definition for "forgiveness" in the Greek and Hebrew used in biblical times.
(197)

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
KingJ said:
I think the time it takes for us to forgive can be paralleled to our Christian maturity.
I could not agree more. I think it is only when you understand the bond of unforgivenss (as stated by justaname) that you can truly forgive as Christ commands, therefor, walking with Christ in the fullest. Good post guys, @KingJ and @ justaname

Thistle

May 16, 2014
If our enemy repented, would he still be our enemy?

but we are commanded to love our enemy, and love forgives.

I'm not sure forgiveness has to be emotional, but it does have to be effective. Praying for the blessing of His Spirit on our enemies is not only love, but also forgiveness regardless of the weakness of our feelings.

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thistle said:
If our enemy repented, would he still be our enemy?

but we are commanded to love our enemy, and love forgives.

I'm not sure forgiveness has to be emotional, but it does have to be effective. Praying for the blessing of His Spirit on our enemies is not only love, but also forgiveness regardless of the weakness of our feelings.
That is a really good question. I didn't see that one when this thread was active. If our enemy repents, are they still our enemy?