"fruit" of the Spirit

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

thelord's_pearl

May 1, 2021
O`nowhere you have to know
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Galatians 5:22-23

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.

What does this Scripture mean 'against such things there is no law'? What does this Scripture fully mean? Thanks. And which ones do you have? The fruit of the Spirit I have so far are love, some joy, not really peace but some peace (on and off), forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness to God and others (always trying/wanting to be faithful getting better at it), gentleness and working on more self-control.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigJim

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.

IOW there is no law against practicing the fruits of the spirit....they are all positive....and make someone a better person in every aspect of life.
Of course no one is perfect and we are all a work in progress....thankfully we have a way to gain God's forgiveness if we make a mistake.

And which ones do you have? The fruit of the spirit I have so far are love, some joy, not really peace but some peace (on and off), forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness to God and others (always trying/wanting to be faithful getting better at it), gentleness and working on more self-control.

There are none more important than the others....they are all a product of God's spirit.
There are only two laws that Christians are under obligation to keep.

Matthew 22:36-40.....
“Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?” 37 He said to him: “‘You must love Jehovah your God with your whole heart and with your whole soul and with your whole mind.’ 38 This is the greatest and first commandment. 39 The second, like it, is this: ‘You must love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40 On these two commandments the whole Law hangs, and the Prophets.”

So the fruits of God's spirit have to come after we obey those two very important laws, because there are no greater laws in existence.
The fruits of the spirit are not laws, but qualities we have to manifest if we are to be genuine disciples of Christ.

Reactions: Jim B

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What does this Scripture mean 'against such things there is no law'?
Paul's getting a little snarky here. The whole letter is about whether Christians (especially Gentile Christians) are obligated to keep Torah, literally "The Law". Paul rather sarcastically says, "Hey, you guys who want to get into meticulous law-keeping, there's no law against love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control". Paul's human; he does that sometimes. (This is one of the things I like about Paul.)

Thanks. And which ones do you have?
If you don't mind, it would be better if I consider where I really need improvement. Then I can ask God to help me with that. If I start thinking to myself, "Self, you're doing pretty good here", I'm effectively daring God to put me in a position where it becomes obvious that I'm not following the Spirit's leading. And He just might take me up on that dare.

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And to throw in a little warmth... John Wesley was almost in despair after a disasterous trip to America and loosing his dad. He did not have the faith to continue to preach. When death stared him in the face, he was fearful and found little comfort in his religion. To Peter Böhler, a Moravian friend, he confessed his growing misery and decision to give up the ministry. Böhler counseled otherwise. "Preach faith till you have it," he advised. "And then because you have it, you will preach faith." On May 24th, 1738 he opened his Bible at about five in the morning and came across these words, "There are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises, even that ye should partakers of the divine nature." He read similar words in other places. That evening he reluctantly attended a meeting in Aldersgate. Someone read from Luther's Preface to the Epistle to Romans. About 8:45 p.m. "while he was describing the change which God works in the heart through faith in Christ, I felt my heart strangely warmed. I felt I did trust in Christ, Christ alone for salvation; and an assurance was given me that He had taken away my sins, even mine, and saved me from the law of sin and death."

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

What does this Scripture mean 'against such things there is no law'? What does this Scripture fully mean? Thanks. And which ones do you have? The fruit of the Spirit I have so far are love, some joy, not really peace but some peace (on and off), forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness to God and others (always trying/wanting to be faithful getting better at it), gentleness and working on more self-control.

I see the 'fruit of the spirit' a bit like a bunch of grapes, and in the grapes I buy there are sometimes small ones mixed in the the large ones. I think in each of us, while we may have some of the fruit listed, there are also those small, undeveloped fruits which are perhaps different in each of us. One of my undeveloped ones is patience, but I know God is still working on that one.

thelord's_pearl

May 1, 2021
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I see the 'fruit of the spirit' a bit like a bunch of grapes, and in the grapes I buy there are sometimes small ones mixed in the the large ones. I think in each of us, while we may have some of the fruit listed, there are also those small, undeveloped fruits which are perhaps different in each of us. One of my undeveloped ones is patience, but I know God is still working on that one.
I know as I read the Bible again for the second time and I'm going to to do that as soon as possible once I get off one of my medications that 'cause me a lack of motivation then I will be more developed in my fruit. Thanks Pearl. :)

Reactions: Pearl

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Some things are self-evident: There is nothing wrong with love, joy, forbearance, kindness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. Let me go out on a limb and say there is nothing wrong with humility, either.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I know as I read the Bible again for the second time and I'm going to to do that as soon as possible once I get off one of my medications that 'cause me a lack of motivation then I will be more developed in my fruit. Thanks Pearl. :)
Our 'fruit' will never reach full maturity, there is always room for growth in some areas.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The biggest thing is asking God.

Jesus said this (HE is speaking to us in a manner of going to God through prayer by the story) - Please take a few minutes to read what Jesus had said to his Disciples I believe here.

5 Then Jesus said to them, “Suppose you have a friend, and you go to him at midnight and say, ‘Friend, lend me three loaves of bread;

6 a friend of mine on a journey has come to me, and I have no food to offer him.’

7 And suppose the one inside answers, ‘Don’t bother me. The door is already locked, and my children and I are in bed. I can’t get up and give you anything.’

8 I tell you, even though he will not get up and give you the bread because of friendship, yet because of your shameless audacity[e] he will surely get up and give you as much as you need.

9 “So I say to you: Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.

10 For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened.

11 “Which of you fathers, if your son asks for[f] a fish, will give him a snake instead?

12 Or if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion?

13 If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!”

Are you someone that believes ; though you are evil, known how to give good gifts to your children, - believe how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him?

Seeking out God to help you in the things of the spirit is beneficial to ones life, praying in thanksgiving to God in Christ, I believe you can ask God to help you with faith, help you to be joyful in a painful situation (your body aches), to be with your friends and family and enemies, to ask him to help with patience.

It really is how you talk and interact with God and what you know that helps in the long run. Prayers and supplications to God are part of the Christian life.

There no law against doing these things because - they are all in line with doing the Royal Law, which is to Love your neighbor as yourself - by the Spirit of christ with-in you. Because Christ in you can not do anything against his own royal law. He also was the fulfillment of the Torah Law.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aunty Jane

-Phil

Nov 22, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.

What does this Scripture mean 'against such things there is no law'?

The law reference isn’t to conceptual laws like civil legality, physics & quantum mechanics.

‘Laws’ here refers to the immutable laws. Immutable means not subject to or susceptible to change. Unchangeable & unalterable. Unable to be changed without exception. In spite of any thought, concept, theory, interpretation, study, measurement, analysis, conjecture or belief… the immutable laws remain true, are the case, or, are the actuality as it were.

It’s noticeable that… love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control… aren’t actually per se.. “things “.

Readily noticeable.
Isn’t it so?
To where or what in all hilarity would ye even begin point!

So when it’s saying “Against such things there is no law”… it’s saying… these; love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control - which are not actually “things” - have no law whatsoever - against them. Not even immutable laws apply to love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.

There is never experienced a thought which is not about, a (objective, separate) - “thing”.
There are not “things”; there are thoughts of there being, “things”.

The immutable laws apply to all (assumed separate, or objective) - “things”.
Yet do not apply to that which is not actually assumable, separable nor objective.
That which truly is not a thing. That which Is, ‘no thing’.

But also it says… the fruit of the Spirit. Which isn’t quite the same as saying… the Spirit.
For the fruit, for the actual taste of a fruit, one must go to the tree of said fruit.
The ‘tree’ spoken of is the Spirit. So only in “going to” the Spirit, is there the ‘taste’.

What in your direct experience… is not, a “thing”?

What is believed to be “a thing” - yet is not actually “in” your direct experience, at all?
And never actually was..?

What does this Scripture fully mean? Thanks. And which ones do you have?

The true nature of a havingless universe.

thelord's_pearl

May 1, 2021
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Sorry, I truthfully still don't understand what it means 'against such things there is no law', Can someone explain something short and direct of what it means? Thanks and sorry!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Idk I just gave my opinion on. What do you think it means though for yourself?

Think about this too @friend of : All through the Letter of Galatians, Paul is warning them to no go back and turn towards the Law but instead to continue in faith on the Lord Jesus Christ, and to walk and be moved by the spirit rather than trying to do things by the flesh as Paul talks about the flesh very openly in this Chapter 5.

So think about that also in the process of thinking what could it mean, and hope that does help. That is something that is good to do a few times especially how tiny Galatians is.

God bless you and hope this helps.

-Phil

Nov 22, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sorry, I truthfully still don't understand what it means 'against such things there is no law', Can someone explain something short and direct of what it means? Thanks and sorry!
it seems like it's saying 'Against' "such things" there is no law but so they (love, kindness, gentleness, self-control, etc) ARE laws! Right? And what kind of law.
It’s about the immutable laws.

To understand the passage requires realizing there are no separate finite things, and you are love, kindness, gentleness, self-control… which is appearing as the universe, and believing you’re not, and therein you’re believing that there are finite separate things.

thelord's_pearl

May 1, 2021
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I'd love to get help on what it means, "against such things there is no law. I wrote:
it seems like it's saying 'Against' "such things" there is no law but so they (love, kindness, gentleness, self-control, etc) ARE laws! Right? And what kind of law.
So the fruit of the Spirit ARE laws, right? And so it must be God's law? What kind of law if you call it something? Thanks!

-Phil

Nov 22, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Another way to put it… there is no situation or circumstance which ever prevents; love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness & self control. Even the laws of physics, quantum mechanics and or the immutable laws can not prevent these aspects of your being from, being. These “things” are not the Spirit, these ’fruits’ are the essence of the Spirit. Maybe another way to put it… there can be all of those aspects, and it is true that these “things” are, in spite of any situation or circumstance - yet - these “things” are not the Spirit, as in are not the absolute truth. Wether or not these or any laws are God’s law - no one can tell you. You have to see for yourself. The absolute truth is ineffable.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The fruit of the Spirit, I understand this to be the fruit that the Holy Spirit bears as He indwells me. He is growing in me these things, Love, Joy, Peace, Patience, Kindness, Gentleness (or Meekness), Goodness, Faithfulness, and Self-Control.

In these things, my life is completely liberated, unregulated, I live with complete freedom to do anything I want. This description of the Spirit's fruit - singular - will be my approach to life. These are all decribing the character of the New Man - put off the old, put on the new - and as we live this new man, we are living according to God's design of who we are.

Put on the new man, which patterned after God is created in righteousness and true holiness. This word translated "true holiness" isn't the normal word for holy. As best as I'm able to understand, it speaks of the purpose of holiness, that is, given as a benefit, to others.

When you are walking in the Spirit, you are in love, you are rejoicing, you are peaceable, patient, you are self controlled, you are all of these. Now, by faith, and that faith in Jesus having reconciled you to God.

Romans 5:1-2 KJV
1) Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:
2) By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.

Fully trusting in Jesus, that I am completely accepted by God because I've been immersed into Jesus, baptized into His death, that I'm now freed from sin, just like the Bible says, and I'm in communion with my Creator, Who loves me, Who is for me, opens the faith to walk in this reality. To walk in the Spirit, free from condemnation, and free from the obsession with sin.

The flesh may put up a fight, and when it does, when it gets the better of us, we mustn't return to the idea that we have to make ourselves once again acceptible to God. If we do, this is not trusting Jesus, it's not of the Spirit, we will be walking according to our flesh.

We will subject ourselves to rules to make ourselves OK to God. It's the wrong fight.

Trusting Jesus, living openly before God our Father, we live with these characteristics. As we do this more consistently, success breeds success. You can get used to it! And the longer we live this way, walking in the Spirit, even our brains get remade - at least to some degree - lessening the fight we have to fight.

Great question!

Much love!

• Love
Reactions: thelord's_pearl

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm not following you. Those aren't laws, like "Thou shalt be joyful"; Love, Joy, Peace, Patience, Kindness, Gentleness, Goodness, Faithfulness, and Self-Control are character attributes the Holy Spirit grows in us.

And my interpretation of "against such things there is no law" is still that Paul is being a smart-ass. You can tell from the tone of the letter that he's really mad. Take a look at verse 12 of the same chapter using the NASB translation and you'll see how angry he is.