Fun thread....Did you know......(finish the sentence)

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sabertooth

Sep 17, 2019
Northern Wisconsin
transcendiary.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did you know- that the Bible is quoted as being the most Sold and most Stolen Book in the World?
I knew it was the most sold. Does "the most stolen" refer to hotel room thefts of Gideons Bibles? (I think that they are meant to be free, though I haven't taken one from there.)

Further, "Did you know...?"
For the longest time, Pilgrim's Progress was the most sold book second* only to the Bible.
Also,
  • It is considered the first English-language novel.
  • It has never been out of print.
*It still remains the best-selling fictional English book.

Reactions: Taken

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What? How so?

What?
The Bible is said to be the most purchased Book and the most Stolen Book.

How?
I would Presume the most Bought by people going to a store or shopping online and Paying for a Bible.
As well, wherever a person happens to see a Bible and they take it without permission or paying for it.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What?
The Bible is said to be the most purchased Book and the most Stolen Book.

How?
I would Presume the most Bought by people going to a store or shopping online and Paying for a Bible.
As well, wherever a person happens to see a Bible and they take it without permission or paying for it.
I understood most sold....not the most stolen...lol.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I knew it was the most sold. Does "the most stolen" refer to hotel room thefts of Gideons Bibles? (I think that they are meant to be free, though I haven't taken one from there.)

A quote from a Gideon's representative:

“The Gideons International place Bibles in hotel rooms all over the world, the aim being that the Bibles are placed there for successive visitors to read. These Bibles do have a contact number and if guests want to ask any questions regarding the Christian faith they are encouraged to contact The Gideons. If they do not have a personal copy of the Bible The Gideons are pleased to be able to help."
(Caroline Cook, PA to the Executive Director of the Gideons International in the UK.)

So, I would say the Hotel Bibles are intended as Free Reading Material while the occupant is renting the room, not a complimentary Gift, as are some small size toiletries.

Gideon's have offered Free Bibles to anyone who "asks."

I would say an individual must need to ask himself, if taking what was not given him is stealing or not.

IF a person taking a Bible from a hotel room without permission was included in the survey of the most stolen Book, I couldn't say definitively, but doubt it...reason being, Gideon's do not SELL Bibles, thus I doubt they could participate in a survey of loss of inventory or sales because of Theft.

Reactions: Heart2Soul

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did you know- major league Umpires wear black pants and (black "underwear"), in case of a split mishap.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did you know a twirk is the combination of a twist and a jerk?

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did you know a twirk is the combination of a twist and a jerk?

Did you know- that when a two yr old discovers he can twist and jerk his body and keep his balance, its cute...when an adult does that it looks ridiculous.

Reactions: Heart2Soul