Fundamentalism

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

teamventure

Sep 6, 2011
I agree strongly about the Biblical, doctrinal aspects mentioned.

But try also the subjective dress codes sometimes strongly promoted;

Try the American (and even British) nationalism which sometimes underlies an unwillingness to see matters from the perspective of other peoples, and the not unusual, latent hostility to foreigners whom the Lord may have brought to Christians in North America for exposure to the Gospel;

Try also the widespread, unquestioning assumption sometimes made that big business and the interests of large corporations and their advocates government is supposedly in everyone's interests;

Try also the dispensationalism which is often strongly promoted (in my humble view, a good thing), yet which sometimes inconsistently confuses the three entities in 1 Corinthians 10.32; as if the church and certain Gentile nations or the church and unbelieving Israel somehow share the same interests;

....(the list can go on).... :)

Farouk, but weren't we only discussing the Biblical doctrinal aspects so far? Not trends within Fundamentalism.

Okay so, I wouldn't agree with dress codes and prejudice either like you mentioned but what interests are you mentioning that the church and Israel don't share?

teamventure

Sep 6, 2011
because I firmly believe the verses of the Bible SHOULD be open to individual belief. Unfortunately, many of us are either blinded by "something", or else we refuse to study the FULL Bible.

2 Peter 1:20 knowing this first of all, that no prophecy of Scripture comes from someone's own interpretation.

B

brakelite

Funny, i've never seen this in over 30 years as a believer. Its normally the 'one true church' folks that think their church and theirs alone is 'the' church. And its their doctrines and dogmas that are right and everyone else wrong. I think if a persons interpretation compliments the bible then youre on the right track. If ones interpretation contradicts the bible then that person should rethink that. Even when it comes from the top of whatever religion they are a part of. We are never obligated to follow leaders that preach false doctrine.
I've been a Christian over 40 years and have yet to hear any representative of any particular church claim theirs is the only way... Except the older official dogmas inherent in Catholicism.

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I want to start this thread to learn more about what points of Christian Fundamentalism are Biblical in basis and what are culturally inherited beliefs that were adopted over time.

I found the big 5 that I'm sure we can all agree on:
the five fundamentals:
What are some things that aren't biblical and are only cultural that are considered fundamental beliefs?

It seems to me that fundamentalism is often equated with legalism. At least, that's how I see it.

I'm considered a fundamentalist because I strictly adhere to the Bible as the only written word of God. But I'm not a legalist as far as believing that Christians are under the law. This is because believers have died to that which had us bound, as Paul said in Romans 7.

The life we now live is by faith in and of Jesus Christ. "The law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made us free from the law of sin and death" (Rom 8:2). What the law could not do - give us life - Jesus did! Our life is now lived by obedience to His Spirit in us, not by the do's and don't's of the Mosaic law.

Reactions: Nancy

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It seems to me that fundamentalism is often equated with legalism. At least, that's how I see it.
Pretty much. There seems to be a portion of Christianity that cannot get away from thinking that "trusting in Christ" actually means "having a fairly rigid and lengthy set of rules to adhere to." To many people it seems to have almost nothing to do with a heart for others, but more the outward appearance of behaving in an accepted and approved manner.

Reactions: historyb

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've been a Christian over 40 years and have yet to hear any representative of any particular church claim theirs is the only way... Except the older official dogmas inherent in Catholicism.
Wander into one of the older Churches of Christ (the ones known as "Anti's"..... because they are "against" just about everything.) They will come right out and openly declare that theirs is the ONLY church established by Christ in AD 33...… way before the Catholic church was even thought of.

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Pretty much. There seems to be a portion of Christianity that cannot get away from thinking that "trusting in Christ" actually means "having a fairly rigid and lengthy set of rules to adhere to." To many people it seems to have almost nothing to do with a heart for others, but more the outward appearance of behaving in an accepted and approved manner.

Yeah, having a heart for others means feeling pain. So, we shut our hearts down in order to avoid hurting. Well, that's one reason we do it. I'm sure there are others.

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah, having a heart for others means feeling pain. So, we shut our hearts down in order to avoid hurting. Well, that's one reason we do it. I'm sure there are others.
I think that "shutting their hearts" is truly often done not to let "them" come near enough to "contaminate" the Holy ones.

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think that "shutting their hearts" is truly often done not to let "them" come near enough to "contaminate" the Holy ones.
That's a cynical way to look at it, but I suppose it could be true for some people. But if you see people this way, you're likely to harden your heart toward them. What good does that do?

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's a cynical way to look at it, but I suppose it could be true for some people. But if you see people this way, you're likely to harden your heart toward them. What good does that do?
I spent 12 years in that environment. I work diligently to encourage people to get out of that quagmire. It is the horrible organization my heart is hardened against, not the people caught by it.

Nondenom40

May 21, 2019
Illinois
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Dogmas of the rcc are irrevocable. According to catholicism there is no salvation outside of the rcc. What about mormonism, jws, others...

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Enoch, thank you for this. Pardon my list as I was lazy and hasty so I just copied and pasted it.

I was told tonight that a lot of fundamentalism is not biblical and is mans opinion. I still have to hear what isn't biblical about it?

teamventure,

When you state, "I was told tonight that a lot of fundamentalism is not biblical and is mans opinion", your foundation is not based on evidence but on 'I was told ...' - which is opinion by somebody.

Hear-say evidence is not good enough for substantial discussion.

Oz

B

brakelite

Wander into one of the older Churches of Christ (the ones known as "Anti's"..... because they are "against" just about everything.) They will come right out and openly declare that theirs is the ONLY church established by Christ in AD 33...… way before the Catholic church was even thought of.
Oh, okay. I must confess that I have not darkened the doorway of any of those establishments, and thinking upon the subject a little more, the closed brethren churches are fairly exclusive are they not? Are you familiar with them?

Reactions: Willie T
B

brakelite

I think also there is a degree of self protection involved. A reluctance for being transparent and showing others to know your true self.

Reactions: Prayer Warrior

teamventure

Sep 6, 2011
teamventure,

When you state, "I was told tonight that a lot of fundamentalism is not biblical and is mans opinion", your foundation is not based on evidence but on 'I was told ...' - which is opinion by somebody.

Hear-say evidence is not good enough for substantial discussion.

Oz

I didn't agree with what I was told. I wanted to hear your folks opinions.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Okay so, I wouldn't agree with dress codes and prejudice either like you mentioned but what interests are you mentioning that the church and Israel don't share?
@teamventure The idea that the "Christian vote" automatically seems to endorse whatever some politicians do, as long as these pay lip service to certain things; or automatically support Israeli politicians - whatever they might do.

This is mixing Christian doctrine with the politics of the world; and a lot of people called Fundamentalists seem to do it all time.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America

I'm considered a fundamentalist because I strictly adhere to the Bible as the only written word of God. But I'm not a legalist as far as believing that Christians are under the law. This is because believers have died to that which had us bound, as Paul said in Romans 7.

The life we now live is by faith in and of Jesus Christ. "The law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made us free from the law of sin and death" (Rom 8:2). What the law could not do - give us life - Jesus did! Our life is now lived by obedience to His Spirit in us, not by the do's and don't's of the Mosaic law.
@Prayer Warrior
It's good to make the distinctions that you make, yes. :)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Farouk...

Okay so, I wouldn't agree with dress codes and prejudice either like you mentioned...
@teamventure So you wouldn't give a keen Christian young man a hard time because he has a Bible verse inked on his wrist, or a keen Christian young woman a hard time just because supposedly was wearing "too many ear studs", or whatever? :) Because some extreme Fundamentalists will indeed do exactly that, thus driving Godly young ppl away.

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He, he, he...… "We are never obligated to follow leaders that preach false doctrine."
And how do we declare that we know what this "False Doctrine" is? It's simple. We are positive that, fundamentally, OUR interpretation of the Bible is infallible. LOL
Are you saying there is absolute truth, but no absolute interpretation? If so, how will you have truth without a 'true' interpretation of absolute truth?