Gather in His name ?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

twinc

Apr 3, 2011
Faith
Country
United Kingdom
Re Matt 18:20 = is this out of bounds to all except mainstream Protestants - twinc

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Re Matt 18:20 = is this out of bounds to all except mainstream Protestants - twinc

Matthew 18
20 For where two or three are gathered together in My name, I am there in the midst of them.

Why would this be out of bounds to anyone?

Reactions: Truth

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Seemingly Twinc wants no Catholics and nor on the fringe Protestants to use that verse in this discussion. That means me and probably many of the other more active participants on the forum.

Either that or he does not even want us to participate in the discussion at all.

Eh what say you, friend, Twinc? Am I even close?

jaybird

Feb 29, 2016
what does "the name" mean to you guys? Jesus came in "the name", the temple was built to house "the name", nimrod and the nations were struck down trying to make "a name" for themselves.

Reactions: Helen

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
twinc is planning on using that verse to defend his denomination.

If the verse isn't strictly for protestants, then how can the catholic bashers claim the catholics are in error?

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
what does "the name" mean to you guys? Jesus came in "the name", the temple was built to house "the name", nimrod and the nations were struck down trying to make "a name" for themselves.

That would depend on how it's used.

Here we can see that Jesus is making reference to Himself.

Matthew 18
20 For where two or three are gathered together in My name, I am there in the midst of them.

Reactions: Truth and jaybird

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
ah, ok
ya! "A rose by any other name" is kind of a pointer there, iow the literal name is irrelevant, it is the concept, or the spirit, that is being ref'ed imo

Reactions: jaybird

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
That would depend on how it's used.

Here we can see that Jesus is making reference to Himself.

Matthew 18

wherein i could point out that these 2 or 3 might not necessarily be talking about Jesus, or even religious at all, for that matter. Wherever two or three gather in service to someone, there is Christ. Even if one of them is drunk, and the other a whore

imo

jaybird

Feb 29, 2016
seems kinda odd the way the term "the name" is used. the Most High doesnt say build a temple for Him, for His people, build it to house "the name"? why say it like that?
and nimrod and the tower, we really dont know what they were up to (according to the official books) other than they were making a name. that could mean anything.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The "name" is important to the whole of scripture, which means ultimately to the Word of God [in spite of differences in belief about that].

Some have argued strenuously about what the name is on this forum and elsewhere? Being "IN the name" is where a believer should always want to be, but where or what does that mean? At least it means when we are there with one or more others, then Jesus is there in our midst.

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
seems kinda odd the way the term "the name" is used. the Most High doesnt say build a temple for Him, for His people, build it to house "the name"? why say it like that?
and nimrod and the tower, we really dont know what they were up to (according to the official books) other than they were making a name. that could mean anything.

Post the verse or passage and we'll have a look.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
imo because God had already made plain that He did not care about a Temple built with hands, but the people wanted it like they wanted a king, so God let 'em have it--so to speak. The language "to house the Name" is maybe a good way of characterizing that people generally regarded the Temple as being "the house of YHWH," even though you know better, just like they should have known better.

Ergo, the house was built for the Name, and also doomed to destruction the day it was built. The king thing is taking a bit longer, but we see that coming to a head now imo.

Reactions: amadeus

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
well, might be a "pride going before a fall" thing there, ppl "making a name for themselves" has...certain connotations that illuminate that, imo

twinc

Apr 3, 2011
Faith
Country
United Kingdom
Seemingly Twinc wants no Catholics and nor on the fringe Protestants to use that verse in this discussion. That means me and probably many of the other more active participants on the forum.

Either that or he does not even want us to participate in the discussion at all.

Eh what say you, friend, Twinc? Am I even close?

all I am really asking is that lets not add confusion to already existing confusion and error - that verse does not apply to us - nor does verse 18 - twinc

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
all I am really asking is that lets not add confusion to already existing confusion and error - that verse does not apply to us - nor does verse 18 - twinc
Sorry twinc, but I do not believe that anyone told Jesus that. They certainly did not tell me because I have been using it as it applies to me and mine or those others who would for quite a few years now with what I would describe as favorable results. All I did was obey. He showed up as He said He would and we were blessed by His presence.

twinc

Apr 3, 2011
Faith
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry twinc, but I do not believe that anyone told Jesus that. They certainly did not tell me because I have been using it as it applies to me and mine or those others who would for quite a few years now with what I would describe as favorable results. All I did was obey. He showed up as He said He would and we were blessed by His presence.

it does not matter to me what you say if it does not agree with what He says and who He says it to etc - certain things are very obvious He did not say to us others not so obvious - and here many a fool rushes ion where angels fear to tread imho - twinc

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
ah, ok
ya! "A rose by any other name" is kind of a pointer there, iow the literal name is irrelevant, it is the concept, or the spirit, that is being ref'ed imo

I’ve always believed when it says name...it’s mean His very Presence and nature.
For the nature and character are in the name....Father, Shephered, Comforter, Saviour, Friend, etc etc

Reactions: bbyrd009