Gay Marriage Rights

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should Gay Marriage be legalized?

• Yes

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 4 66.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Coexist

May 19, 2012
Greetings, again:)

I have thought long and hard about the topic of gay marriage rights, and I have come to the conclusion that it SHOULD be legal. In fact, I would "go so far" as to say that to make it illegal is not Christian.

Here is why:

1) God does not force us to believe in Him. He lets us choose. Why not apply that same concept with homosexuality and the right for those with that orientation to be happy together?
I am not saying at this point that I believe homosexuality is not a sin. I believe that it is, although I am currently investigating that realm of the topic as well.

2) Similar to reason 1, but perhaps easier to conceptualize - if you asked any Christian if they believed in freedom of religion, they would say yes, would they not? Of course Christianity should not be FORCED upon unwilling people, that is not genuine. But a great number will say gay people should not have rights because it is biblically wrong.
What I am saying is SUPPORT THE CHOICE not necessarily the action itself.

3) Gay people getting married does not hurt anyone else. It just makes a great deal of people feel uncomfortable. But interracial marriage was viewed the same way not fifty years ago, and was ILLEGAL IN SIXTEEN STATES. We would think absolutely ridiculous to outlaw interracial marriage today. Maybe the clock is ticking down to the same conclusion for gay rights?

Please give me your thoughts, I welcome any and all agreement or disagreement! Thank you!
-Coexist

Pelaides

Jul 30, 2012
I started a similar thread and the moderators locked it.Sodomy will never be an accepted practise among true christians.

Reactions: biggandyy

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
I am all for personal liberty, so long as another's liberty isn't violated. I don't see liberty being violated by state recognition of a same sex union. If only the issue were this simple I wouldn't oppose it.

I dread the decline of morals in society, they are being pushed further and further from God's true ethical standards. Unfortunately this lowered standard affects everyone, and when someone dares hold an opinion contrary to the new moral standard they are attacked. This is a violation of liberty for those whom wish to abide by higher standards.

Have you ever noticed how the moral standards in a society only drift in one direction away from God's standards? That's proof of the evil spiritual influences that corrupt society. Once we reach a state of complete moral lapse Islam plans to come in to save the day. People would be forced to obey God's laws and then be blessed for it. On that day our failure will be complete, I pray Jesus returns before then.

Coexist

May 19, 2012
I started a similar thread and the moderators locked it.Sodomy will never be an accepted practise among true christians.

Firstly, I don't understand why moderators would lock a subject like this... that is why I came here in the first place, to discuss topics with various christian perspectives and polish my own. Not to mention this section of the forum is labeled "Christian Debate Forum"... That is disappointing to hear, indeed.

Unfortunately this lowered standard affects everyone, and when someone dares hold an opinion contrary to the new moral standard they are attacked. This is a violation of liberty for those whom wish to abide by higher standards.

I completely agree with your point, but as far as legalization goes it doesn't seem to hold much weight against the issue in this day and age. How can we expect those who are not Christians to agree with our idea of what is moral or immoral? I have known many gay people, and most of them are the absolute sweetest souls I have ever met - purer, it would seem, than many "Christians" I have known. I fear that the majority of Christians fall into the trap of "forcing" others to believe what they believe, without realizing that in doing so they drive others further away from Christianity. Perhaps this is the worst form of ministry? Instead of telling them: "What you doing is WRONG and I am RIGHT" why not start with a story of God's love? I am sure they would relate more easily to that. Also, how would you react if for some reason a different religion started overtaking the United States? Let's say Islam. If more and more people began to read and live by the Koran, would you advocate making that religion illegal? Those people believe what they are doing is all right - more than that, they believe that it is the only way for them. Let me close this post with my favorite quote:

"We do not draw people to Christ by loudly discrediting what people believe, by telling them how wrong they are and how right we are but by showing them a life that is so lovely that they want with all their hearts to know the source of it." -L'Engle

Trekson

Jul 24, 2012
Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe that gay people should have the right to marry. This is, after all, a democratic society, not a theocratic one. (thank God!) It is not our place as believers to legislate the lifestyles of unbelievers. Are they sinning? Of course, but most hetero marriages are founded in sin as well.
I don't believe that God would "bless" their marriage and I don't think He "blesses" the marriage of the unsaved even though it can take place in a church and the rites happen to mention God. If He did, the divorce rate wouldn't be so high!

Nice quote, Coexist.

Reactions: Eltanin

Eltanin

Aug 22, 2012
SEMO
Legalizing the marriage does not encourage nor discourage gay couples from their lifestyle...

They will live the way they will, and I honestly don't see this as a moral issue anymore... I don't believe this is morals degenerating, just changing... But I know most people here disagree with that...

There are more important issues in the world than who beds who... and homosexual couples aren't homosexual because of the sex, it's about finding a companion, and partner... I know homosexuals, who stay celibate because they don't want sex to control them, but they can not find companionship with the opposite sex, and I really respect them... but I can't imagine the lifestyle that would require me to never know the intimacy of my husband... and so I can't imagine being the voice that would condemn others who find someone, just because it doesn't lie in the parameters of what some people interpret as righteous...

Christians keep returning to the homosexual argument like a dog to his vomit... Why not work to return real consequences to those who cheat on their spouses? Christians don't really think much about divorce and adultry anymore, because we are focusing on the gays... Most of the loudest voices against gays in this area are people who have lived in adulterous relationships... At least the gay people around here are faithful to one another, and they don't destroy their own households for a roll in the hay with their neighbor...

There are issues that should have the spotlight, that are truly damaging to society, like human trafficking, and blood resources, among others... but until people decide to make a real difference for someone that wants and needs help, Christians will try to force their idea of help on those who don't want help, and don't really need it either.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
people cannot see past there own opinions on this subject - it has been beaten into the ground on this board.

us2are1

Son Of Man
Sep 14, 2011
Gays have the right to repent while there is time or die when time runs out. If they die in their sin of being gay they are lost for eternity.

There is not much time left for anyone to straighten out their act. But if one wishes to get started then asking God for His Spirit is the place to start. Then learn every word that has come out of the mouth of God.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gays have the right to repent while there is time or die when time runs out. If they die in their sin of being gay they are lost for eternity.

There is not much time left for anyone to straighten out their act. But if one wishes to get started then asking God for His Spirit is the place to start. Then learn every word that has come out of the mouth of God.

Well they better hurry and straighten up and fly right so they can be saved through no effort of their own!!

jerzy

Sep 7, 2012
What is disturbing to find out is that the Christian homosexual priests are “married” with Christian Church blessings.

The man made marriage “rite” replaced God’s "rite" of becoming of one flesh.

All things become right even those declared by God as abomination since man took upon himself to control/modify God’s standards.

Governments of many countries claim to be “Christian” but have to account for those who put them up there to represent them.

The question is to be asked: why a person not of this world should bother what this world is doing?

The answer is rather obvious: most of the Christians are of this world. Well, perhaps they are not Christians after all?

How many cheat and divorce? Do they know what "becoming one flesh" really means?

Coming back to the guy issue. How many among men (and some female) are able to control their sexual urge?

Could that man of Jn 9:1 change his condition?

us2are1

Son Of Man
Sep 14, 2011
Well they better hurry and straighten up and fly right so they can be saved through no effort of their own!!

Aspen that is nonsense. Read this.

38 And he who does not take his cross and follow after Me is not worthy of Me.

it takes effort to take your cross and follow HIm. It takes movement and work to be counted worthy.

FearNot

Sep 9, 2012
One thing that has continued to cause confusion on this subject is that many supporters of gay marriage continue to frame the discussion using the term "right". Rights can come from man(government) or God. This country was founded on the belief that certain "rights" come from God and our country's documents are set up to protect the people from the government interferring with those God-given rights. So, the title of this topic is slightly misleading because no one's "rights" are being infringed upon. The next logical question to ask is "what is the proper definition of marriage", and the answer is plainly given in scripture by the author of that institution.

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Firstly, I don't understand why moderators would lock a subject like this... that is why I came here in the first place, to discuss topics with various christian perspectives and polish my own. Not to mention this section of the forum is labeled "Christian Debate Forum"... That is disappointing to hear, indeed.

In response to the aforementioned thread, the topic in question was locked because it was a duplicate of at least one other on the very same subject.

I am not sure what your motives are here, but it is interesting that you jump to such harsh and quick judgment of our actions.

Either way, this topic will be closed as well. We've already beaten this horse into the ground. If you desire to see where the forum populace stands on the subject, there is already a large thread hashing out the possible positions. You are welcome to search, review, and even contribute to the existing thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.