G'day from Brissy

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I'm an Aussie living in Brisbane, Qld, Australia. One of my Christian friends recommended CBF to me. I'm an orthodox (small o), evangelical Christian and have been one for about 50 years. I'm currently working on some in-depth NT study but enjoy interacting with believers and unbelievers alike.

I look forward to engagement with you as time permits.

Oz

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
StanJ said:
Hello my Aussie friend....welcome to the board.
Glad to connect with you, brother in Christ.

Which are the most active threads on CB that could be of interest to me? I'd appreciate your recommendations. Or, is it a matter of trying a few topics?

How can I be notified of all replies to threads to which I contribute. I know how to access through my Profile, but I'm seeking a way (if one exists) to obtain an email notification when there is a reply to one of these threads.

Oz

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Welcome! Glad to have you here! You should be able get the notifications set up through the "settings" area in your profile! :)

God Bless,

BA

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Congratulations world cricket champ!

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
rockytopva said:
Congratulations world cricket champ!
Thanks mate!

How come that you know anything about cricket? Are you from Rocky Top VA? When we lived in the USA, we saw very little cricket played but there is a national USA cricket team that I've seen on TV. We saw more cricket in North America when we lived in BC Canada. Saw some matches at Stanley Park, Vancouver.

Has there been a little coverage of the World Cricket championships on TV in the USA? Fox Sports had some of the contract in this country along with the free-to-air Channel 9.

Yep, we are the world cricket champions for the 5th time.

The final was a somewhat disappointing match as the New Zealanders only scored 183 runs off their 50 overs and the Aussies made those in 35 overs. Do you understand that lingo? An over consists of 6 balls bowled. There is a report of the victory HERE.

Cricket is my favourite sport to watch, although I played little of it in my youth because of a health condition. I'm pleased the shorter forms of the game have developed in recent years to encourage some big hitting that reminds me of much of what I saw in baseball.

Thanks for the contact rockytopva. Good to meet you and to know that you knew about the Aussie cricket win.

Oz

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oz, welcome to the community! We have a couple folks from your neck of the woods on here, so always good to see another. I'm thankful that we're able to reach beyond America and meet other Christians from across the world, it's so rewarding to see expressions of the faith in other places!

I invite you to take a look around and see what we have going on. If you look up towards the top right of your screen, under the menu area with the icons, there is a button titled View New Content which will show you the latest posts since your last visit. Here is a hard link just in case: http://www.christianityboard.com/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=viewNewContent&search_app=forums

I see you've already had a question or two answered, so please feel free to ask or drop us a PM (private message) if you need a hand.

I look forward to hearing more about your NT study. I'm all over in terms of interest, but I really take a liking to exploring the early church in the Bible, dealing with apologetics (philosophy, etc), and just hearing about what God is doing in the world.

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
HammerStone said:
Oz, welcome to the community! We have a couple folks from your neck of the woods on here, so always good to see another. I'm thankful that we're able to reach beyond America and meet other Christians from across the world, it's so rewarding to see expressions of the faith in other places!

I invite you to take a look around and see what we have going on. If you look up towards the top right of your screen, under the menu area with the icons, there is a button titled View New Content which will show you the latest posts since your last visit. Here is a hard link just in case: http://www.christianityboard.com/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=viewNewContent&search_app=forums

I see you've already had a question or two answered, so please feel free to ask or drop us a PM (private message) if you need a hand.

I look forward to hearing more about your NT study. I'm all over in terms of interest, but I really take a liking to exploring the early church in the Bible, dealing with apologetics (philosophy, etc), and just hearing about what God is doing in the world.
Hammerstone,

Thanks so much for your welcome and encouragement. I've recommended a couple more people today to consider paying CB a visit. I'll be emailing a retired Anglican evangelical clergy (a rarity here in Qld) to invite him to participate.

I'm in the final stages of completing my PhD in NT (dissertation only in the British system). I should have it finished in about 2-3 months. It has taken me 5 years but I was very part-time in the beginning as I had a full-time counselling job. It's been a major project examining the presuppositions of John Dominic Crossan of the Jesus Seminar, with particular application to his views on Jesus' resurrection. I'm completing the testing of an hypothesis this week on (this is my paraphrase): It doesn't matter whether the tomb was empty or not. What is important is the meaning of the resurrection. Lots of postmodern deconstruction to unpack and challenge apologetically.

Thanks for the link to the menu options. I'll look into that in the morning as bed is calling. It's 11.47pm Tuesday as I write - and there's no more world cup cricket to watch.

Oz

HarvestTheFields

Mar 26, 2015
Canada
OzSpen said:
I'm an Aussie living in Brisbane, Qld, Australia. One of my Christian friends recommended CBF to me. I'm an orthodox (small o), evangelical Christian and have been one for about 50 years. I'm currently working on some in-depth NT study but enjoy interacting with believers and unbelievers alike.

I look forward to engagement with you as time permits.

Oz
Welcome to the site Oz! I'm pretty new to the site as well. Congrats on the cricket world cup. I don't normally watch cricket (Canada=hockey), but that was a great semi-final against India and final against New Zealand!

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
HarvestTheFields said:
Welcome to the site Oz! I'm pretty new to the site as well. Congrats on the cricket world cup. I don't normally watch cricket (Canada=hockey), but that was a great semi-final against India and final against New Zealand!
Harvest,

Yes, they were 2 great games against India and then NZ. It's too bad that there could be only one winner.

Last year was a sad one for professional cricket in Aust when leading batsman, Phillip Hughes, was felled and killed by a ball from a fast bowler. See, 'Phillip Hughes freak accident explained'.

When we lived in the USA and Canada back in the 1970s and 80s, we loved to watch hockey AND baseball. The latter is the closest we got to anything that looked in some fashion like cricket. But we did see a match or two in Stanley Park, Vancouver, and then a couple lower grade matches when we lived in Anaheim CA.

Thanks so much for your welcome.

pom2014

Dec 6, 2014
Yes I know it's a derogatory term for one of the UK. And yes I'm originally from there, currently living in the states.

But in this screen name it's not meaning that. Was in your part of the world about a year ago, just north of you in Kippa-Ring.

Miss the Tim Tams, far better than a penguin and there's a decided lack of sausage rolls here but I'll take the better infrastructure and lessened regulation here.

Though I miss the madness of Palmer.

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
pom2014 said:
Yes I know it's a derogatory term for one of the UK. And yes I'm originally from there, currently living in the states.

But in this screen name it's not meaning that. Was in your part of the world about a year ago, just north of you in Kippa-Ring.

Miss the Tim Tams, far better than a penguin and there's a decided lack of sausage rolls here but I'll take the better infrastructure and lessened regulation here.

Though I miss the madness of Palmer.
pom2014,

Actually, I live in North Lakes, which is only 2 suburbs removed from Kippa-Ring. I was at Kippa-Ring about 3 weeks ago for to visit the office of the Dept of Transport & Main Road for the renewal of my driver's licence. There's a large K-Mart in the shopping centre at Kippa-Ring. What brought you to Kippa-Ring?

'Madness of Palmer' in the Aussie parliament is a joke. Another one of his senators, Glenn Lazarus (former Rugby League great), has defected to become an independent. Clive apparently is not an easy bloke to get along with.

Oz

pom2014

Dec 6, 2014
Shopped up at Coles in north lakes often.

Work is the draw wherever I go on the planet. Computer gun for hire. Back in the states for now. I usually go between Canada and the states. Most consistent work conditions.

Spent nine months between QLD and NSW.

Palmer made George Bush look like genius. That comment about Clark Kent and Jimmy Olsen was pure gold.