Genesis 6

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

tim_from_pa

Jul 11, 2007
Trying to trace genealogy with DNA was popular a fews years back, but it was never an exact science and that was a known fact even then (by scientists at least) when it was popular for people wanting to have it done.
Thank you. I agree. Even though this is not a thread about lost tribes and DNA, that point was mine exactly.When I researched this some, I found that the DNA scientists by their own admission claimed that even the Ashkenazi Jew (let alone the Celts or Anglo-Saxons) did not have nearly as much DNA in common with their middle eastern brethren as they did the Europeans.The supremacists loved that because they do not believe Jews are Jews at all and yet the Ashkenazi Jew claims Abraham as father. I agree with those Jews, and I say the same can be said of other people that make those claims.Of course, after this was stated, we have other DNA-ists that say "all of a sudden" that these Jews DO have links with the middle eastern ones. I wonder who had some political pull and why change their answer? Even the evidence seems to be skewed to whatever agenda some want to push. That's why I'm basically skeptical. I go with the bible. It's never been wrong.

waquinas

Apr 24, 2008
thanks Tim,We agree on the whole race/DNA thing, but again that has nothing to do with whether or not DNA would demon-human cross breeding. When scientist say DNA points to a single source for all humans, they mean two parents not three.

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(waquinas;56588)
thanks Tim,We agree on the whole race/DNA thing, but again that has nothing to do with whether or not DNA would demon-human cross breeding. When scientist say DNA points to a single source for all humans, they mean two parents not three.
Yea, well angels (spirits) do not have blood like human does. So people who was born in the flesh having a "father" as a spirit and a mother as a flesh, only have the blood of the mother and / or the mother's blood relative.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
(waquinas;56588)
Your the one that brought up the whole DNA thing. And you are right apples and oranges for one thing Angels mated with the daughters of men thats Biblical and Gods Word . That resulted in a race of Giants, these are giant men, sense we are made in the image of God and the Angels how do you know what kind of DNA Angels have ?obviously sense the giants were a form of human being in looks Angel DNA is not that different from ours it was the mixing of these two that was an abomination to God. So for all you know Angel DNA is grouped in as type of human DNA unless you have an Angel itself to compare it with you wouldn't know would you?I can even believe you said you shouldn't have to go to the Bible because God isn't the author of confusion??? Its going to Bible that makes for no confusion other wise all you have it mens opinons and ideas of what God said.

tim_from_pa

Jul 11, 2007
I have to agree with what you said, Kriss. If angels mated with women, we have no idea how their bodies work or their "technology" so-to-speak that could spoof similar genetic information.My only agreement earlier with waquinas was regarding DNA not being able to prove genealogy. Ironically, its genealogy that we base our beliefs on regarding the races.

waquinas

Apr 24, 2008
well at least I got you thinking about what you are saying. Yes, I guess we could suppose Angel DNA, if there was such a thing, could be very close to human DNA and if mixed in with human DNA no one would notice. But if we go back and read what I said, in order for these scientist not to notice, your theory would then have to be that we ALL have this fallen angel DNA. You could say well it would or could appear as human DNA, but if there are two categories of humans (some with some without this so called Angel DNA) then the point would still be science would then see at least three (probably more if I follow your theory) parents of the human race as a whole (Adam, Eve and Satan), not the common two parents that they do see. Science is saying there are ONLY two parents and that leaves room for no others contributing DNA, human or otherwise. So either those two parents were human or OH wait...........are you saying we are all carrying this fallen angel DNA in us? If you are saying no pure human exist, IOW only two parents (Eve and Satan) for us all. I could see how science would miss that. If that is what you are saying I have never met anyone holding these theories to be true willing to admit that they too have this fallen angel DNA in them. That would be twist.BTW I do not think spirits have dna because DNA is part of the material, the physical world. But that is another topic.

tomwebster

Dec 11, 2006
Do you think it would be possible to find God's DNA if we could have gotten DNA from Christ?

waquinas

Apr 24, 2008
God is a Spirit also, what do you think. Besides Jesus was 100% a Man, has to be in order to redeem us to the Father. So if we had His DNA, it would look like ours, with the same common 2 parent source as the rest of us (Adam and Eve).

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(waquinas;56632)
God is a Spirit also, what do you think. Besides Jesus was 100% a Man, has to be in order to redeem us to the Father. So if we had His DNA, it would look like ours, with the same common 2 parent source as the rest of us (Adam and Eve).
I highly doubt it. He wasn't even related to His mother and Joseph

tomwebster

Dec 11, 2006
(waquinas;56632)
Of course I know God is Spirit. Christ would have gotten all of His human DNA from Mary. Christ is also 100% God

waquinas

Apr 24, 2008
Correct, which is why His DNA would match the rest of the entire human race. Two parents as a single DNA source, not three (or more).

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
(waquinas;56638)
Correct, which is why His DNA would match the rest of the entire human race. Two parents as a single DNA source, not three (or more).
yeah you are most likely right Gods probaly the one mistaken 4There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown. Satan traveled with these sons of God here, they went to heaven to converse with Lord because they are the Angels (Job 1:6 & 2:1)But as you say why should we have to look to scripture Yes this post is sarcasim, But no sense using scripture for facts sense you got it all down:)

waquinas

Apr 24, 2008
Kriss,no one is saying they have it all down. You are asking people to believe a thing is true and in this case there are opposing views with both sides using scripture (often the same scriptue) to support it. People are then asking, well what about this, a point from science for example. The point here is not that science is never wrong, but are there reasonable explanations why they could be wrong given your understanding of these verses? When such questions are asked in a debate on any issue, they deserve a reasonable response. That is unless the topic is not to be debated.We have covered several possibilities to the question I raised about DNA, one being that we all have this fallen angel DNA in us, which you had no comment on. The other was your suggestion that science might not notice if angel DNA was very close to human DNA. The latter possibility appears to be your take on this question. And that was a reasoned response even if I do not accept it. The other point to be said here is that just because I believe you are incorrect on this understanding, it does not follow that I can say to you that you do not believe God's Word on this matter. Clearly both sides believe their understanding of God's Word on this matter is correct, else that would not be their position. If the point of telling me that I do not believe God's Word on this matter is to say that your's is the official and non-debatable position of this site, that is fine with me. If I do not like that I am free to go away. It should however be stated somewhere that this is so and then you would not have to spend time telling people that disagree or want to debate something that in the view of the administration of this site, the things on this list are not debatable. To this site, it would be as you say God's Word on these matters, end of subject. Denver did this for one end times issues and from what I can see there are several other topic areas that need to be addressed the same way, this is one of those. That way people are not offending one another and they know these things up front.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
You are not debating scripture is the problem you are giving me an opinion based on a new inexact science as you say apple and oranges No one I know here is a DNA expert including you or me so all this is speculation based on your opinion of a Non Biblical issue If you were giving me scriptural reasons you didn't believe this we could discuss what the scripture you think denys this says and what it means and you could choose to believe what you like.but when you give us not a single Biblical reasons for your argument. So if your sole reason you have given is that its not your armature opinion of DNA science.How is thats not denying or at least ignoring what the scipture says??? When you have refused to even address any of the scripture and argue for science.I have no problem, using science as a second witness but you are basing an entire conclusion on the inexact science void of any scripture then accusing me of not letting you debateDebate what ? I take scripture as truth you have chosen some science. That's like debating Math with Philosophy

waquinas

Apr 24, 2008
Ok, I will do as you suggest, but am not physic yet can predict the response already.That the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they [were] fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose. And the LORD said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also [is] flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years. There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare [children] to them, the same [became] mighty men which [were] of old, men of renown.In an of itself there is nothing in these verses which would really convince me one way or the other. We have giants now, we have fierce peoples now and have had both through out history. We have also always had wicked people, wicked groups of people and even wicked nations. So whether I believe one way or the other, and just looking at these verses, neither view explains why there are giants or fierce people any better than the other view. To make a choice we would have to look elsewhere.If we appeal to legend and myths, then it is true that many civilizations have god-man legends. But then does this reference in Gen 6 indicate influence on a Jewish writer captive in a land where he is surrounded by such legends or does it indicated the message intended by God?. The same legends suggest many gods, is there truth in that as well? Well again, taking ancient legends into consideration, and still not certain how we could say whether this represents influence by pagan cultures or something that is a truth that just happens to also be reflected in pagan cultures. I think either could be a possibility and nothing in the text itself directly supports one way or the other. We often say most legends contain some truth. But where to draw the line?We could appeal to the Book of Enoch, a book not found in the Bible. We could also appeal to early Christian writers commenting on Gen 6 and clearly accepting these demon-man hybrids explaining these giants. But there again, does that represent an error that developed because of an influence on these men who were using a faulty translation (Septuagint/LXX – Gen 6 “Angles of God see daughters of men”) or an actual truth? If that is the proper and correct translation of that verse why does the KJV not follow the LXX in rendering it that way? And does that constitute enough evidence to suggest ALL men of those days and Christ taught this? Certainly some of these men believed in demon-man children, but can we say they all did? Am not sure how that follows. And if it was not universal, why not? Am also not sure why would we need to appeal to extra biblical sources if the answer was clearly in Gen 6 that these giants were offspring of demons. We might consider the rest of the Chapter 6. It looks a lot like a repeating theme we can see in the OT; God hating the wickedness of man, threatening to destroy all mankind, punishing wickedness and saving godly people or providing a means of their salvation. Does anything about Gen 6 appear different from this theme that we should seek additional reasons (breeding with angels) for God punishing mankind? If it is there it is not clear to me. And again, if those angels were complicit in committing the sin that made God angry enough to flood the world, why are those beings not mentioned in the punishment? Why take it all out on only mankind? And are we not then saying that the situation was not entirely mankind’s fault? And if so, how is fair to hold mankind fully responsible?If God is punishing man in Gen 6 for breeding with fallen angles, why is that not explicit in the punishment part of story. Only thing mentioned there is general and complete wickedness. The giants are also not singled out or even mentioned again in the part where God’s wrath is explained. It is general and the great wickedness of mankind appears to be targeted with no further reference to angels or the mightymen. We could say the level of wickedness is one result of this breeding program of Satan, yet somehow it still seems odd that God’s Wrath be described as only directed at mankind here.Looking at the other view, on a whole, the idea that Sons of God are godly men marrying into tribes of wicked men, is not out of line with what happens next, punishment of wicked men. So if this is a case of angels and men behaving badly together, we should be able to at least say it is odd that the writer felt the need to mention that indirectly and then leave out God’s wrath on those angels and their offspring when speaking of the result. The story is incomplete from that standpoint with that understanding of who the giants and mightmen were. Furthermore, the typical view of demon-man offspring requires us to believe some survived the flood (however that might be). Again if these demon children are part of the flood story, and apparently important enough to be mentioned in the lead in to God’s Wrath against man, why would the writer omit the survival of some of these offspring? We are not told of any wicked men surviving. If these giants and mightymen are allegedly related to the same characters descried later in other OT text, why is there no connection in those text to these Gen 6 giants and mightymen? Or if all these beings died in the flood, why is the demon breeding program never mentioned again and connected to the appearancec of giants and mightmen later?If we say more demons appear later and do the same nasty thing again, why is there no further mention of that happening again in the OT or NT. Is simply referencing mightymen or giants alone in other books evidence that the same thing was happening again? While I guess possible, it seems weak to suggest we MUST make that connection. It is suggested that as whole, the demon-man offspring explains these events better than “daughters of men” just being women from tribes or groups of wicked people. If one explains all of Genesis or the whole Bible better than the other, then I am missing something here. A demon-man offspring understanding of these passages would seem critical to explaining a lot and indeed references are made here to the anti-Christ, the battle between God and Satan, attempts at thwarting God’s plan, final battles…etc. IOW if that is what is going on in Gen 6, (and 3 with both Adam and Eve having sex with Satan) then why would these offspring not be clearly mentioned in the NT? Why is the theme there for us to love ALL men and not instead ALL men ‘except’ these halfbreeds? I guess we could speculate that all the goats and wolves…etc represent these creatures among us today and we just cannot tell, so we must love them all.However to me, there is something also fundamentally disturbing in the idea that among us today there are creatures that look just like us but who represent pure and unredeemable evil. I can’t quite put my finger on it and it is hard to describe. My sense is that unable to tell the difference these thoughts would then require me to look with suspicion at our fellow man. Some would (and have – though not on this site) taken these thoughts further and identify races with these demon halfbreeds. Clearly that is too far, but then is there anything but love suggested in the Bible as our proper attitude toward our fellow man? So if they exist, are we to also love Satan and these halfbreeds too? Most of us have trouble with just our neighbors, I would find it very difficult indeed to be told we must love a demon or a demon halfbreed. There again, God created demons too (originally angels), but the best I can muster is maybe pity.Am also reminded of a check for reasonableness when something is not explicit in a story or in the case the Bible. Substitute the explicit idea into the text where the claim is made that it is being alluded to. Back to Gen 3;“And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, Of every of the garden thou mayest freely : But with the fallen angels, thou shalt not : for in the day that thou thou shalt surely die.”………..”And when the woman saw that getting funky with Satan was good, and that it [was] pleasant to the eyes, and a funkiness to be desired to make [one] wise, so she got funky with Satan, and really funky, and showed this funkiness to her husband with her; and he got funky with Satan too.”Am not claiming to know what the forbidden fruit was, but whatever it was they were told not to do it. So if are to believe that Satan’s temptation was for Adam and Eve to both get funky with him (and thus produce these demon-human offspring thru Eve), then the above understanding would be correct. However the above rendering of those verses does not sound more reasonable to me than simply saying Satan tempted them with something they were specifically told not to do. Perhaps that is just me and I am not open to “God’s Word” on this matter.So to me, with one view there are issues with reasonableness, questions of why if this is such a foundational theme (these demon-humans play a central role in the whole picture if we accept that this is true) that it is only mentioned once in the entire Bible (the act of demon-human procreation that is) and why no explicit mention of it at all in the NT. These issues are difficult to over-look for me. If it works for some, and they do not see these problems then that is ok with me.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Well your theroy is still based on alot of your ideas not the scriptures, but I will give you credit for at least using the scripture you are talking about to explain why you have your opinions. of course you ignore all the other scriptures telling us about this. And fail to explain why in the middle of a verse God suddenly feels the need to tell us some people are really tall. Like that would not be obviousious to anyone. but hey if thats your opinion of what God was teaching so be it. Of course I disagree but I dont think that surprises you.
smile.gif
But then again when they (the fallen Angels)return before long Im sure your opinions will change so untill then we'll just have to agree to disagree.

waquinas

Apr 24, 2008
yes, agree to disagree.Have heard some say nothing but this one thing was forbidden to Adam and Eve - everything else, everything was permissable even things we would consider disgusting and sinful now. I disagree but am wondering if that goes along with this belief in Eve getting funky with Satan?

tomwebster

Dec 11, 2006
(waquinas;57291)
yes, agree to disagree.... am wondering if that goes along with this belief in Eve getting funky with Satan?
If by "funky" you are talking about Eve becoming pregnant by Satan, that is Biblical. Adam did also.

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(tomwebster;57293)
(waquinas;57291)
yes, agree to disagree.Have heard some say nothing but this one thing was forbidden to Adam and Eve - everything else, everything was permissable even things we would consider disgusting and sinful now. I disagree but am wondering if that goes along with this belief in Eve getting funky with Satan?
If by "funky" you are talking about Eve becoming pregnant by Satan, that is Biblical. Adam did also.Agreed Tom.

waquinas

Apr 24, 2008
Yeah and that is my problem because of what that understanding does to this verse:Gen 2:16 And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat: but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die. By interpreting the one thing they did which they were told not to do as making woopie with Satan then this verse becomes God telling Adam he can get funky with any thing, creature or whatever in the Garden except for Satan (and his band of angels I guess). To be clear we have God saying it is ok for Adam to perform acts which are unnatural (except for one with Satan) and later God would tell His people to stone a person that does these things.A I said before some people are ok with that, saying that before the Fall nothing was forbidden for them to do, even things we would consider evil now, except for this one thing. I disagree with that position. I think unnatural acts have always been wrong because they are unnatural, doing those things goes against the nature/purpose of a thing, and all things God is responsible for making. So I do have a problem with God telling Adam it is ok to do something unnatural.