Genesis Chapter 4:1-16 (Verse by Verse)

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
  • #4 Genesis 4:1-3
  • #5 Genesis 4:4-7
  • #9 Genesis 4:8
  • #10 Genesis 4:9-10
  • #11 Genesis 4:11-16

“Now Adam had sexual relations with his wife, Eve, and she became pregnant.

When she gave birth to Cain, she said, “With the Lord’s help, I have produced a man!”

Later she gave birth to his brother and named him Abel.

When they grew up, Abel became a shepherd, while Cain cultivated the ground. When it was time for the harvest, Cain presented some of his crops as a gift to the Lord.

Abel also brought a gift—the best portions of the firstborn lambs from his flock.

The Lord accepted Abel and his gift, but he did not accept Cain and his gift. This made Cain very angry, and he looked dejected.

“Why are you so angry?” the Lord asked Cain.

“Why do you look so dejected?
You will be accepted if you do what is right.

But if you refuse to do what is right, then watch out!

Sin is crouching at the door, eager to control you.

But you must subdue it and be its master.” One day Cain suggested to his brother, “Let’s go out into the fields.”

And while they were in the field, Cain attacked his brother, Abel, and killed him. Afterward the Lord asked Cain, “Where is your brother? Where is Abel?”

“I don’t know,” Cain responded. “Am I my brother’s guardian?”

But the Lord said, “What have you done?

Listen! Your brother’s blood cries out to me from the ground! Now you are cursed and banished from the ground, which has swallowed your brother’s blood.

No longer will the ground yield good crops for you, no matter how hard you work!

From now on you will be a homeless wanderer on the earth.”

Cain replied to the Lord, “My punishment is too great for me to bear! You have banished me from the land and from your presence; you have made me a homeless wanderer.

Anyone who finds me will kill me!”

The Lord replied, “No, for I will give a sevenfold punishment to anyone who kills you.”

Then the Lord put a mark on Cain to warn anyone who might try to kill him. So Cain left the Lord’s presence and settled in the land of Nod, east of Eden.”
‭‭Genesis‬ ‭4‬:‭1‬-‭16‬ ‭NLT‬‬

Last edited:

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you for the link I am okay, @GRACE ambassador, maybe others will check out that link.

I am more of a guy to just go verse by verse and see what one can possibly find.

All the best, in love and keep going strong in the LORD,
Matthew

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Genesis 4:1-3
1 “Now Adam had sexual relations with his wife, Eve, and she became pregnant.
One thing to notice here in the first verse is that Adam had sexual relations whit his wife, Eve (Life), and she became pregnant.

There is no saying of a marriage like in modern times where people go to a church and say wedding vows, it was simply like, stated in (Genesis 2:23-25) Marriage in God's eyes seems to be when man and woman lay with each other. This is a highly important concept because sex is very intimate, it is where two become one (and that is not male to male or female to female), it is male to female. They become one flesh meaning they are intertwined with one another and should stay together for doing this act which is very intimate and seen by God as marriage between two people.

1 When she gave birth to Cain, she said, “With Yahava's help, I have produced a man!”
Here we see that Life, or Eve, when she did give birth to Cain, she said "With Yahava's help, I have produced a man!"

There is no saying from Adam here, however you can see here the mother of life proclaims that the LORD, has helped her produce a man! Who was given the name Cain.

Trying to look up the hebrew name for Cain, stood for Acquired; Spearer. He was acquired, and Eve, gave honor to God for him; and called him Cain - for he was acquired; but also could indicate spearer - as he was the first murderer on earth. Having killed his brother.

2 Later she gave birth to his brother and named him Abel.
Sometime later, conceiving once again, she gave birth to his brother named Abel.

Trying to look up the hebrew name for Abel, we come upon some information that indicates, that Abels name is not as sinister as Cains, which was Spearer. Abels name meant "breathe" or "Vapor".
3 When they grew up, Abel became a shepherd, while Cain cultivated the ground. When it was time for the harvest, Cain presented some of his crops as a gift to the Lord.

As time passed they grew up, Abel became a shepherd, while Cain cultivated the ground. So you can see they went on to work on the land, one tending to all the sheep, and one performing in agriculture producing crops for the family. And during time of the harvest, Spearer (Cain), presented some of his crops as gift to Yahava.

Now, we don't have any teaching here of these children of Adam and Eve being taught - "Sacrifices unto Yahavah", but they probably taught the children to do this because God himself did it in front of Adam and Eve.

If you go back to Genesis 3:21 The Lord God made garments of skin for Adam and his wife and clothed them. 22 And the Lord God said, “The man has now become like one of us, knowing good and evil. He must not be allowed to reach out his hand and take also from the tree of life and eat, and live forever.” 23 So the Lord God banished him from the Garden of Eden to work the ground from which he had been taken. 24 After he drove the man out, he placed on the east side[e] of the Garden of Eden cherubim and a flaming sword flashing back and forth to guard the way to the tree of life.

You can see here before Adam and Eve are driven out, the LORD GOD, made garments of skin for adam and eve - I would say he may have sacrificed a deer or perhaps some other animal for clothing (A first born animal - with blood which was taken as there would be no other way to provide skins to them without killing it) From this we see the importance of human life, compared to the animals life though (today we can have pets and love them and not have to kill them). This is probably where they had learned this, if Cain and Abel are now going to present gifts to the LORD, and Cain here is bringing some of his crops as a gift to Yahava.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Genesis 4:4-7

4 Abel also brought a gift—the best portions of the firstborn lambs from his flock. The Lord accepted Abel and his gift,
Ending off of the other previous verse, Almighty God, had made skins for Adam and Eve by the blood of an animal. They may have taken then and taught it to their sons, that this was something to do when they presented gifts to Yahava. Cain whom was a great cultivator, brought some of his crops to God, and now, in verse 4, we have Moses saying Abel also brought a gift -- but these gifts were not from the crops (which are bloodless) -- these gifts were the best portions of the firstborn lambs from his flock.

A mention here of the firstborn lamb - could be an indication of a picture and shadow of Christ to come far away into the future. And it became a part of the Law, in which the people of God would sacrifice animals, in which would cover the sins of their people for only a year. God's people whom were of Israel did some things that we do not do today, nor would probably really consider ever doing though - we go the store and get meat to eat from the market, though you gotta have hunters out there to bring in the kill (which is not always wrong), murder however is wrong.

Therefore with this gift, and offering - freely of the flocks of lambs was brought the firstborn ones of new births from the sheep that had children. And Yahava accepted his gift.
5 but he did not accept Cain and his gift. This made Cain very angry, and he looked dejected.
However, Yahava did not accept Cain and his gift. Now we do not know why Cain decide not to consult with is brother, perhaps there was a jealousy or something in the heart of him which perhaps he though the gift he would present would be better. Cain could have also asked for some of the flocks perhaps however he decided to go his own way about handling what was learned from his Mother and FAther, and perhaps these bloodless berries, from the crops were done to perhaps change God's mind on having sacrificed animals instead? We just do not know.

However what we see here is Yahava not accepting Cain's gift, and which made Cain very angry, and he look dejected. Which is to look sad, or depressed.

We can see here that in the face of being rejected - it can make a person very angry, and also sad and depressed, and this is something we can learn here with-in this story.

6 “Why are you so angry?” the Lord asked Cain. “Why do you look so dejected?
Yahava, asked Cain - Why are you so angry? Why do you look so depressed?

Notice the care here from the LORD, towards Cain, asking Cain these questions, whats wrong man, what is going on? Even though he did not accept the offer of Cain - he still cared and desired to seek what Cain would say to him.
7 You will be accepted if you do what is right. But if you refuse to do what is right, then watch out! Sin is crouching at the door, eager to control you. But you must subdue it and be its master.”

Yahava said to him, you will be accepted if you do what is right. (He probably was taught about the sacrifices but decided to go his own way about doing it which was not right, not taking what Yahava had done in front of Adam and Eve has to precursor to sacrifice to the LORD, as the LORD sacrificed to clothe Adam and Eve - even after having not been listened to sending them out of the Garden.

God continues going on to say, but if you refuse to do what is right, then watch out! Sin is crouching at the door, eager to control you. But you must subdue it and be its master. Here we have Yahava saying that Cain will be accepted if he does what is right, however... if he refuses to do what is right, to be careful. Sin is crouching at the door, eager to control you.

Yahava says - You must subdue it and be it's master. Notice he doesn't say anything about watch out - Satan is right around the corner crouching at the door.

In the letter of James, he wrote to his audience,

14 Temptation comes from our own desires, which entice us and drag us away. 15 These desires give birth to sinful actions. And when sin is allowed to grow, it gives birth to death.

This relates to what is Yahava is telling Cain, watch out - when temptation comes from our own desires to handle things our own way, they entice us and drag us away to go and do evil, because the sin crouching at the door is now, giving birth to sinful actions, and when sin is allowed to grow in the mind -- it gives birth to death be it (spiritual or physical), or even death to the (mind/will/emotions) soul.

However, Yahava is telling Cain, he has to subdue and master over it - this is before the help of the holy spirit - and we will see Cain give into this desires because of his hatred, anger, saddness, and depression that will continue to eat away at his soul.

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It was by or "out of" faith that Abel offered a sacrifice. Abel's faith was evidenced by obedience to God's requirement for sacrifice by which he obtained witness that he was righteous. (Hebrews 11:4) Cain, who was of the evil one, demonstrated an evil heart by evil deeds, which includes murdering his brother and while Abel demonstrated a righteous heart by his righteous deeds (1 John 3:12); and that Abel offered his sacrifice by or "out of" faith and Cain did not. Cain's sacrifice was evidence of his lack of faith. Abel's offering was a demonstration of his faith in regard to sacrifice, which was not demonstrated by Cain's offering.

Reactions: MatthewG

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It was by or "out of" faith that Abel offered a sacrifice. Abel's faith was evidenced by obedience to God's requirement for sacrifice by which he obtained witness that he was righteous. (Hebrews 11:4) Cain, who was of the evil one, demonstrated an evil heart by evil deeds, which includes murdering his brother and while Abel demonstrated a righteous heart by his righteous deeds (1 John 3:12); and that Abel offered his sacrifice by or "out of" faith and Cain did not. Cain's sacrifice was evidence of his lack of faith. Abel's offering was a demonstration of his faith in regard to sacrifice, which was not demonstrated by Cain's offering.
Thank you for sharing,

All in love,
Matthew

Previous post for first three verses -
  • Verses four through seven,

Reactions: mailmandan

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
With the help of what @mailmandan had shared,

You can see where Abel was being faithful towards God, from learning what his parents taught him possibly about sacrifice, where as Cain apparently sacrificed to God however, he had intentions of doing it his own way - and not the proper way which they were taught.

It doesn't express that Cain was faithless, because he went to sacrifice to God, but he was doing things in his own way, similar to the Pharisees in how they would do things there own way, and you have God coming to talk to Cain.

God comes and talks to Cain and expresses that he needs to be careful and cast down the imaginations of his mind, that is leading him to do things his own way, rather than Gods way which was how Mom and Dad were lead out of the Garden. (You could say it's like quenching the spirit and as it dries up your flesh becomes more powerful). These are just some thoughts that to my mind with what Mailmandan has shared here for the benefit of all of us.

God told him, sin is crouching at the door, and we can also seem from James writings, that the temptation is not coming from satan, but it is something that is concieved in the mind and then brought forth and causes sinful actions which can lead to - death of the (spirit or quenching (making it less effective), death ( be it spiritually or psychically ), death to the soul (the mind/will/emotions becoming number to what is right, and good and bound on doing wrong instead).

No one has to believe anything that is written here, these are just some open thinking thoughts that could be valid or invalid, please let the spirit guide.

All in good faith, and thank you again Mailmandan.
In Christ,
Matthew

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Genesis 4:8
8 One day Cain suggested to his brother, “Let’s go out into the fields.”[c] And while they were in the field, Cain attacked his brother, Abel, and killed him.
After having the conversation with Yahava, some days or weeks past, or months, or a few years possibly. Cain's rejection from God, and his brother being accepted for doing right, sat in his mind for a very long time, and he decided. He went to his brother Abel, "breathe""vapor", "Let's go out into the fields." (Some manuscriptures may omit this), either way, the plan here was to murder. While they were in the field, Cain attacked his brother, Abel, and killed him.

Cain failed in addressing and capturing his thoughts with-in his soul (mind/will/emotion)- and subdue it. His hatred (Proverbs 10:12; 1 John 2:9) burned him in this darkness that he was in. Was it possible for Cain to repent? Absolutely, he could have went back the next year and did the right thing during harvest, but now it was time for harvest it seems, and Cain (The Spearer; Killed his brother "Breathe, Vapor", Cain took the life of Abel. Murdering him.

Perhaps that is where the saying "Life is but a vapor", comes from. Eve (Life) gave life to Abel (Breathe; Vapor), who was killed by his brother "Spearer".

Last edited:

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Genesis 4:9-10

9 Afterward the Lord asked Cain, “Where is your brother? Where is Abel?”
Time had passed since the death of Abel, and now comes the LORD, just like in the Garden with Adam and Eve, but Cain was not hiding. "Where is your brother? Where is Abel?"

The concern for the loss here was evident.It is not amazing how much Yahava cares? He is searching out for him.
“I don’t know,” Cain responded. “Am I my brother’s guardian?”
The response of Cain is selfish, and of nature lying. "I don't know," Cain responded. The LORD already knew the truth, however he wanted to test and see if Cain would tell the truth.

"Am I my brother's keeper? - Self-indulgence is a killer in itself full of darkness, and Cain had the mind of one whom did not care for God, nor doing the right things it seems, due to the story which is being said. Heartless, no concern, he was dead and that was it.
10 But the Lord said, “What have you done? Listen! Your brother’s blood cries out to me from the ground!
Yahava knowing what Cain had done because he is the searcher of the heart (1 Samuel 16:7). He said "What have you done? Listen! Your brother's blood cries out to me from the ground! - Now I don't know how exactly God is talking to Cain, but I imagine that its by some means which he is able to hear him, and respond.

When Yahava says "Your brothers blood cries out to me" - It would seem that it would be the family of Adam and Eve crying out to Him, and not the actual blood itself that has been shed.

Last edited:

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Genesis 4:11-16

11 Now you are cursed and banished from the ground, which has swallowed your brother’s blood.
Yahava, goes on with his judgement, towards Cain now because of his decisions. Now what this a fair decision by the Lord God? He goes on to say, Now you are cursed and banished from the ground, which has swallowed your brother's blood.

From my taking this would mean that Yahava had a certain area which he kind of stayed around, and now because of what Cain has done, - the ground which covered the brother Abels body - is the land which he had lived with his parents, Adam and eve. He is now being banished away - from here. Being cursed which execrate with great loathing for the crime that was done.

12 No longer will the ground yield good crops for you, no matter how hard you work! From now on you will be a homeless wanderer on the earth.”
Yahava goes on to say to him, No longer will the ground yield good crops for you, no matter how hard you work! From now on you will be a homeless wanderer on the earth.

- It seems to me due to the banishment - it is a again representation of the Garden of Eden, like Adam and eve, for the crime of disobeying they were lead out of the Garden, now Cain is being lead out of the land which they stayed, (no longer having a home in a sense with God), being a wanderer on the land which he goes onward to.

Yahava, states that the ground will no longer yield good crops for you - this for some reason reminds of the Lord Jesus Christ, in how when we come and turn towards him, good fruits are produced, but he has yet to come yet.
13 Cain replied to the Lord, “My punishment[d] is too great for me to bear!
Spearer (Cain) replied to Yahava, "My punishment is too great for me to bear!" - Probably in a shocking tone with distress, grabbing his face maybe to put a picture to it.
14 You have banished me from the land and from your presence; you have made me a homeless wanderer. Anyone who finds me will kill me!”
You have banished me from the land and from your presence (this is why I stated that it seems Yahava kind of stuck around to a certain area of land could be wrong); you have made me a homeless wanderer - away from God with no home (like coming to christ where you are brought into the Kingdom of God which is our heavenly abode and home which hoped for in life).

Cain says to the Lord, "Anyone who finds me will KILL ME!" - Now you can see again the heartless, action of cain which was worried about himself, and no remorseful for what he had done.
15 The Lord replied, “No, for I will give a sevenfold punishment to anyone who kills you.” Then the Lord put a mark on Cain to warn anyone who might try to kill him.
The response here from Yahava is on of amazement. Instead of being any more harsher on him with the already given punishment, The LORD goes on to say "No, for I will give a sevenfold punishment to anyone who kills you."

Then the Lord put a mark on Cain to warn anyone who might try to kill him.

What this mark is, we do not know there are many people who speculate - maybe the warning could have been from meeting him directly in the eyes and the mark was just experienced through that, or maybe it was a small horn on his head as a mark (people really do try to make it into something, lol), but either way it goes this mark - would be a warning anyone who might try to kill him.
16 So Cain left the Lord’s presence and settled in the land of Nod,[e] east of Eden.
Cain goes on forward, leaving YAhavas, presence, and settle in the Land of Nod, east of Eden.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

(Easy to read edition) What can we learn from Cain who slain his brother?​

that if you hit a man in the head with a rock you can kill him.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you for the bump. The bible is good for every day spiritual fortification, right Qt?

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Thank you for the bump. The bible is good for every day spiritual fortification, right Qt?
The Bible is good if it is understood and used as intended. It becomes a manual of and for distortion to and for those who superimpose their agenda onto it.