Genesis from Mesopotamia

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mikey

Jan 22, 2008
I have come across in books mention of Genesis-like writings found in Mesopotamia. Also cuneiform writing similar to Noah and the flood. People are claiming the people who penned the Bible have borrowed plots and such from these writings.This has been troubling me lately. If in fact Genesis was written before the one from Mesopotamia, this would not be much of an issue for me. Or maybe someone could give me some insight on why this is unimportant or maybe even something that could be considered good.Some kind of link to an article or book suggestion would be helpful. I could easily just tell myself Genesis predated these others wittings, so I am looking for some kind of evidence of this.Thanks in advance
smile.gif

DrBubbaLove

Jan 17, 2008
Seen as a good thing, ok.The fact that most ancient pagan myths contain a creation story, floods...etc should be considered support for Genesis being a true story rather than fiction. Reality expressed in myths is common in story telling, especially ancient story telling. The existence of pagan creation myths is not something that disproves the creation story. We are not just talking about a lot of people. Nearly every culture we have uncovered had similar stories. If a lot of people are telling a similar story, it is much more probable that the stories have basis in reality. IOW - it really happened. The stories are not identical, so it does mean that not everyone got the detail of the story correct. But it cannot mean that everyone got it all wrong.

EzrahEl21

Feb 13, 2008
(smallvoice;32855)
if it is the Epic of Gilgamesh you refer to, perhaps this will helphttp://www.answersingenesis.org/home/area/...ntroduction.asp
I Agree Your Bible Story Were Copy From These Books .These Tablets Are Called 1. The Atra Hasis, 2. The Enuma Elish, 3. Adafa, 4. The Descent Of Ishtar To The Underworld, 5. Tammuz And Ishtar, 6. The Gilgamesh Epics, 7. Etana; To Mention A Few. These Tablets Had The Most High El, Who Is Also Known As ANU, Meaning " Heaven" And He Had Appointed One Of His Sons NUNAMNIR Known as ENLIL, Meaning EL- " God Of The Heaven" And His Son NUDIMMUD Known As ENQI Who Is " God Of The Earth". :study:

Wayne Murray

Jan 15, 2007
This is totally a guess by a student of God's Word. The angels which left their first estate, fallen angels, had full knowledge going back to the first earth age. Just something to consider. However, to prove God's Word as the first or origin of all the other similar writings would probably be impossible. Just like astrology and it's origin.From ancient times, God declared things not yet done in this earth age. Divinely documented before the written word in a continuous heavenly scroll. The First Book THE REDEEMER (HIS FIRST COMING) “The sufferings of Christ”VIRGO (The Virgin). The Promised Seed of the woman.LIBRA (The Scales). The price deficient balanced by the price which covers.SCORPIO (The Scorpion). Seeking to wound, but itself trodden under foot.SAGITTARIUS (The Archer). The Two-natured Conqueror going forth “Conquering and to conquer.”The Second Book THE REDEEMED “The result of the Redeemer’s sufferings”CAPRICORNUS (The fish-goat). The goat of Atonement slain for the Redeemed.AQUARIUS (The Water-Bearer). The living waters of blessing poured forth for the Redeemed.PISCES (The Fishes). The Redeemed blessed though bound.ARIES (The Ram or Lamb). The Lamb that was slain, prepared for the victory. The Third Book THE REDEEMER (HIS SECOND COMING) “The glory that should follow”TAURUS (The Bull). Messiah coming to rule.GEMINI (The Twins). The twofold nature of the King.CANCER (The Crab). The possessions held fast.LEO (The Lion). The Lion of the Tribe of Judah aroused for rending of the Enemy.