Giving up soemthing for lent

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Templar81

Apr 14, 2010
UK
Lent is going to start this week and I was wondering what people hee do for Lent.

I myself will be going to two Lent groups; one in my Parish and an ecumenical one led by the local Baptist Pastor. It will be kind of like a Bible study group, but focussed on Lent. Oh and I'll be doing the Bible study as well, where we examine the readings from the lectionary that week.

I've given up chocolate and beer for lent iin the past but I don't want to give something up just for the sake of it, I'd like it to mean something.

Oh, one last thing. Is it true if you give up something for Lent, Sunday's don't count.

bigape

May 22, 2008
Lent is going to start this week and I was wondering what people hee do for Lent.

I myself will be going to two Lent groups; one in my Parish and an ecumenical one led by the local Baptist Pastor. It will be kind of like a Bible study group, but focussed on Lent. Oh and I'll be doing the Bible study as well, where we examine the readings from the lectionary that week.

I've given up chocolate and beer for lent iin the past but I don't want to give something up just for the sake of it, I'd like it to mean something.

Oh, one last thing. Is it true if you give up something for Lent, Sunday's don't count.

How can there be a “Bible study on lent”, when the Bible doesn’t say one word about it.

Something that isn’t in the Bible, SHOULD NOT be a part of any Christian’s worship.......
Mark 7:7
“Howbeit in vain do they worship me, teaching [for] doctrines the commandments of men.”

But people can do what they want, even if it makes their worship vain.
--------------------------------------------------
The two main problems with lent is:
(1) It calls for Christians to do things, that they should be doing all the time:
(If people put away unwise or wicked things, or things they think are wrong:)

(2) It also sets up a kind of false standard of righteousness:
“I am righteous because I do without this or that”.

And the Bible has a lot to say about this..........
Romans 10:3
“For they being ignorant of God’s righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God.”

Reactions: Anastacia

bigape

May 22, 2008
Never heard of lent, what is it?

Lent, is a lie the Catholic Church tells it’s people in order to be more holy; They are told to give up something for 40 days, starting at 50 days before Easter.

The Catholics that live down South, have Mardi Gra, at the end of lent, where they have a 3 or 4 drunken sex party, to make up for having given up these things for 40 days.

Boy, that is really religious!

Disciple

Soldiers United 4 Christ
Feb 3, 2011
Dallas Tx
hmm, Im going to be giving something up for God but thats just because I feel its right to draw me closer to God

Templar81

Apr 14, 2010
UK
The Catholics that live down South, have Mardi Gra, at the end of lent, where they have a 3 or 4 drunken sex party, to make up for having given up these things for 40 days.

Sweet!

I gforgot to add; NO CATHOLIC BASHING PLEASE

I thought Evangelical Protestants did bother with lent, it seems I'm wrong.

Lent for me is a period of contemplation and penitance. Something I do anyway but pay special attention to at this time of year as we lead u tp Easter or Passiontide or whatever you want to call it.

Again nO CATHOLIC BASHING PLEASE! We've had enough of that on here to last two lifetimes.

bigape

May 22, 2008
Sweet!

Lent for me is a period of contemplation and penitance. Something I do anyway but pay special attention to at this time of year as we lead u tp Easter or Passiontide or whatever you want to call it.

Again nO CATHOLIC BASHING PLEASE! We've had enough of that on here to last two lifetimes.

Sorry for the bashing.
But as I said in my first post in this thread, observing lent is just not a good idea.

If you want to draw nigh to God, than pray more and read you Bible more.
Jesus died on the cross, to pay for our sins, therefore giving up things for that purpose seems to take away from what Jesus did.

I am a Baptist and yes, I know several Baptists that observe lent; But that doesn’t make it right.

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
Lent, is a lie the Catholic Church tells it’s people in order to be more holy; They are told to give up something for 40 days, starting at 50 days before Easter.

-- Wow. Accusations of lies and drunken sex parties for Catholics is hardly a way to have a reasonable conversation.

I am a former Catholic and I too do not agree with the emphasis of Lent, but I can tell you that Mardi Gras is hardly an event just for Catholics.

Before I was saved I could tell you for a fact that the majority of the people celebrating Mardi Gras had absolutely no connection with the Catholic faith.

Some were indeed Catholics, but you would be hard pressed to find ANY Catholic diocese, doctrine, or documentation supporting the idea of going out and "getting everything out of your system" before beginning 40 days of Lent.

UPDATE: Bigape, I started this post before I saw your last one.

Templar81

Apr 14, 2010
UK
I am a Baptist and yes, I know several Baptists that observe lent; But that doesn’t make it right.

That doesn't mean I'm going to go around sinning to my heart's ontent for the rest of the year.

I'll tell you how I see Lent:

Basically we humans/Christians are all the time wrapped up in our lives and whislt we pray, read the Bible and contemplate God we are distracted. Then comes along lent which we have set aside as a time to reeally look at ourselves. Remember I'm an Anglican, not a Catholic and that puts me about half waybetween teh roman Catholics and the Evangelicals in many things and lent is no exception. We Anglicans observe lent as do Catholics with services like Ash Wednesday adn Maundy Thursday but we don't insist on fasting or giving up anything if you don't want to. Faith is a personal thing and it's up to you how you want to observe lent. I don't agree with all that stuff about not eating meat on Fridays and having to fast. I'll fast when I want to fast, but there are people less fortunate who ahve to fast all the time and Lent might help us think of them and pray for them.

I can certainly udnerstand criticism of it in the fact that it is connected to works and also the fac that as Christians we should be contemplating God, reading, the Bible and praying anyway.

Also
Don't worry guys I'm not going to mardi gras.

My passport is out of date and I don't know if I'd get a new one in time. (jsut kidding)

jacobtaylor

Feb 11, 2011
Sweet!

It looks like promoting denominational doctrine is also frowned on as well. Lent is catholic not protestant.
Denominational Posts – Excessive posts either attempting to either push a single denomination (or group) or attacking another denomination are included in this rule.

I use the word protestant as a word that makes a distinction between Catholics and protestants. There is a obvious difference in the path for salvation.
Speaking as a protestant I to have had enough of catholic principles being expressed in my short time here as well. Isn't that the same as you say protestant bashing? Teaching principles that imply scripture, the bible, is simply a stepping stone or tool that doesn't contain all the sacraments "information" necessary for salvation as you believe? If you are catholic I find your being very disingenuous on this forum by nodding your head in agreement about salvation, without mentioning all the other catholic required sacraments. The reason you can't is because its exclusively catholic its your church that creates this division in its "required" standards, protestants simply don't believe it. I think there are 7 requirements. Ones is being catholic if I'm not mistaken. Instead some would rather argue against sola scripture and call it their interpretation. Catholics don't believe in sola scripture do they? Well most Protestants do.

Sola scriptura (Latin ablative, "by scripture alone") is the doctrine that the Bible contains all knowledge necessary for salvation and holiness.

Reactions: Anastacia

Anastacia

Oct 23, 2010
-- Wow. Accusations of lies and drunken sex parties for Catholics is hardly a way to have a reasonable conversation.

I am a former Catholic and I too do not agree with the emphasis of Lent, but I can tell you that Mardi Gras is hardly an event just for Catholics.

Before I was saved I could tell you for a fact that the majority of the people celebrating Mardi Gras had absolutely no connection with the Catholic faith.

Some were indeed Catholics, but you would be hard pressed to find ANY Catholic diocese, doctrine, or documentation supporting the idea of going out and "getting everything out of your system" before beginning 40 days of Lent.

UPDATE: Bigape, I started this post before I saw your last one.

bigape is exposing falseness. If it isn't about you, Foreigner, then let it go.

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina

Yeah about religious as the baptists lighting up outside the church doors immediately after the alter call.
laugh.gif

Templar81

Apr 14, 2010
UK
use the word protestant as a word that makes a distinction between Catholics and protestants. There is a obvious difference in the path for salvation.
Speaking as a protestant I to have had enough of catholic principles being expressed in my short time here as well. Isn't that the same as you say protestant bashing? Teaching principles that imply scripture, the bible, is simply a stepping stone or tool that doesn't contain all the sacraments "information" necessary for salvation as you believe? If you are catholic I find your being very disingenuous on this forum by nodding your head in agreement about salvation, without mentioning all the other catholic required sacraments. The reason you can't is because its exclusively catholic its your church that creates this division in its "required" standards, protestants simply don't believe it. I think there are 7 requirements. Ones is being catholic if I'm not mistaken. Instead some would rather argue against sola scripture and call it their interpretation. Catholics don't believe in sola scripture do they? Well most Protestants do.

Jake! Your new to the forum so you probably don't know that I'M NOT A ROMANC CATHOLIC, I'm an Anglican and damn proud of it. It is true that I often take the side of the Catholics on here because I find I have more in common with them than with the Evangelicals. I could say that I'm Catholic because of Apostallic sucession, branch theory and the ancient creeds, and I could say that I'm Protetant because of the break with Rome and the reforms of the 16th century. What I'm trying to say is that I'm not going to push my denomination, though because of the similarities between Anglicans and catholics I tend to side with Catholic opinion.

Nodding my head to salvation without mentioning all the other required catholic sacraments

OK then" The Catholic sacraments
Baptism: If your not baptised then your not going to Heaven
Confirmation: Not essential for salvation but you recieve the Holy spirit and become an adult Christian.
Penance: You ahve to be penetant when asking for forgiveness or your sins won't be forgiven. Plus if you take communion and aren;t sorry for your sins then you will take it to your detriment.
The Eucharist: This is the Body and Blood of Jesus Christ and is the closest we can get to our saviour in this life. It is the most precious thing we can recieve.
Mattrimony: The joining of a man and woman in holy wedlock. (not neccessary for salvation if one is a celibate)
Ordination: This is what makes an ordinary man into a priest who has the authority to celebrate the Eucharist and to grant absolution (not forgive sins as only God can do that).
Extremunction: The anointing of the sick and dying, whereby the subject confesses their sins and recieve Holy Communion so that they may depart this life ina state of grace. Not essential for Heaven but without it you would be looking at a long stay in Purgatory.

Now, the Anglican Sacraments.
Baptism: (same as above
Eucharist: Same as above

What of the other five?
They are ordinances because they are not regarded as Biblical sacraments, but they are hoopps that have to be jumped through. No-one has to have Penance or reconcilliation but it is there if you want it. Marriage is what you have when you get married (all Protestants have that one), Confirmation isn't essential but it is encouraged (I receieved the Holy Spirit when I was confirmed and it was amazing), Ordination is the same as Catholic except you can still get married aftewards (sweet). Extremunction is not neccessary butit bring comfort to a lot of people and I hope that I don't die alone so I can have it.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think Lent can be a good time for prayer and fasting, but it can also be misused as an empty ritual. I appreciate Foreigner's words about Mardi Gras - it really is a travesty and not apart of educated Catholic practice. For the record, it occurs before Lent - like a last heathen festival before serious fasting, which culminates in a pagan, hedonistic free-for-all on Fat Tuesday. It has become more associated with spring break, rather than Lent.

In any case, I think people are correct to be a bit concerned about the practices during this time of the year - it often invites external expressions of faith and promotes a superficial understanding of Christ's 40 fasting and temptation in the desert. I think it is dangerous for people to fast on Fridays or participate in the stations of the cross or give up a meaningless activity if it is not connected to a spiritual understanding - I just get a whiff of the pursuit of undeserved spiritual merit and I do not like it.

On the other hand, Lent can be deeply meaningful if the practices are focused on Christ and His time of communion with the Father in the desert and His temptation. Last year, I decided to spend time exploring the benefits of fasting, both from food and other practices. I spent time in the Bible and praying scripture; I also gave up my attachment to my opinion - I didn't share it with people and I practiced looking beyond it. It was a very meaningful time in my life. I learned that Christ's teachings are true whether I advocate them or not - truth is truth - no lobbying is necessary. I also learned to give up my frustration of not being understood, and turn it over to Christ. It is good for me to think about these ideas again because lately, I have been lax.

I choose not to participate in rituals that do not have spiritual meaning for me - the station of the cross is a fine meditation, but I choose to spend my time in other activities. I do not fast from meat on Fridays during Lent because it simply carries no meaning and ends up turning into an obligation, which I am called to either feel guilty about not meeting or relieved that I remembered to follow it.

I am a still praying about how to spend this time on the church year; I trust God to lead me in the direction I should go.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It looks like promoting denominational doctrine is also frowned on as well. Lent is catholic not protestant.
Denominational Posts – Excessive posts either attempting to either push a single denomination (or group) or attacking another denomination are included in this rule.

I use the word protestant as a word that makes a distinction between Catholics and protestants. There is a obvious difference in the path for salvation.

Sola scriptura (Latin ablative, "by scripture alone") is the doctrine that the Bible contains all knowledge necessary for salvation and holiness.

Anglicans, Episcopalians, Presbyterians, Methodists, Lutherans, Congregationalists, and many nondenominational churches also observe Lent. You do not have to be Roman Catholic or Orthodox to follow the Christian Calendar.

Robbie

Jan 4, 2011
Huntington Beeach
I had this roommate back in the day that always would give up smoking weed for lent... but then she'd end up sneaking tokes and trying to hide it from me... I was like, "Sista I aint God... don't worry about what I think... if you're giving it up for God He knows what you're doing" haha... she's rad... I love her ta bits but I can't think of lent without being reminded of her...

jacobtaylor

Feb 11, 2011
Jake! Your new to the forum so you probably don't know that I'M NOT A ROMANC CATHOLIC, I'm an Anglican and damn proud of it.

Thank you Templar I was merely pointing out the distinct difference between Ch & Pr Aside of the necessity of sacraments. I find the topic of sola scripture at the root of the greatest indifference. I'm intersered in knowing as an Anglican what is your opinion of sola scripture. According to this definition.

sola scriptura
(Latin ablative, "by scripture alone") is the doctrine that the Bible contains all knowledge necessary for salvation and holiness.

And is there a biblical reference to lent?

Templar81

Apr 14, 2010
UK
I'm not alone
Are you from the UK Jake?

My opinion of sola scriotura is that it is very very tricky since the Bible is open to so much interpretation, I mean even if two people try to take it litterally they won't agree oneverything.

I think we should therefore consult those wise people who do udnerstand it and can put it into proper context. I don't mean that we should jsut be robots or parrots who quote scripture without udnerstanding it ourselves but that we should be informed by those who ahve the releveant training/years of udnerstanding to help guide us through it as just reading scripture on its own, while it should be encouraged can lead the individual to many questions for which he/she needs the help of a mroe learned person. If you are talking doctrine then the 39 articles will help keep you on the straight and narrow, but if you are an Anglo_catholic then remember that Apostallic succession predates the 39 articles. I'm an Anglo-Catholic but not one of the diehards that think women can't be priests and just want to go to Rome all the time.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm not alone
Are you from the UK Jake?

My opinion of sola scriotura is that it is very very tricky since the Bible is open to so much interpretation, I mean even if two people try to take it litterally they won't agree oneverything.

I think we should therefore consult those wise people who do udnerstand it and can put it into proper context. I don't mean that we should jsut be robots or parrots who quote scripture without udnerstanding it ourselves but that we should be informed by those who ahve the releveant training/years of udnerstanding to help guide us through it as just reading scripture on its own, while it should be encouraged can lead the individual to many questions for which he/she needs the help of a mroe learned person. If you are talking doctrine then the 39 articles will help keep you on the straight and narrow, but if you are an Anglo_catholic then remember that Apostallic succession predates the 39 articles. I'm an Anglo-Catholic but not one of the diehards that think women can't be priests and just want to go to Rome all the time.

Interesting. I've noticed that parrots and robots thrive on both sides of the sola scriptura divide. Gosh, Robbie is not the only poet.....