Gluttony

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
Did I say being guided by Biblical doctrine was worshiping it?

No, but I get the impression that you don't believe all of the NT to be God's Word.
Nor will people who practice legalism So, is there anything else you need to add before we end our conversation on this subject, Ducky?
You can include any thoughts you may have, but know I am finished discussing this topic with you.

Perhaps you missed my last edited post. Homosexuals are given preferential treatment, quite the opposite of what you present. In the OT they were executed because it is such a grievous sin. Nowadays they are honored and greatly respected. Homosexuals flaunt their sins publicly and demand to be accepted by Christians. The goats will compromise and accept them. The sheep will not accept those who flaunt their sins and refuse to repent and be saved. To love sinners does not mean acceptance of their ways nor to be silent. God drowned everyone on Earth but 8 to warn us to make them an example. To warn them is to deliver our souls. To not warn is a false Satanic 'love'. I don't want anyone's blood on my hands on Judgment Day.

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
Ezekiel 3:18-19 (ESV)
[sup]18 [/sup]If I say to the wicked, ‘You shall surely die,’ and you give him no warning, nor speak to warn the wicked from his wicked way, in order to save his life, that wicked person shall die for his iniquity, but his blood I will require at your hand. [sup]19 [/sup]But if you warn the wicked, and he does not turn from his wickedness, or from his wicked way, he shall die for his iniquity, but you will have delivered your soul.

Groundzero

Not Afraid To Stand
Jul 20, 2011
Australia
Gluttony is a lifestyle sin that leads to drug and alcohol addiction, and obesity. American's are currently suffering from an epidemic of obesity and obesity related illnesses like diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure and joint disorders. Many people point out that gluttony does not necessarily cause obesity.....in fact, due to the large amount of Americans that are overweight, there is a big push to take out the morality from this disorder. In is true that a small amount of overweight people have co-current disorders that have contributed to their weight gain, but the primary causes of obesity are too many calories, poor diet and not enough exercise. Obesity kills millions more people per year than AIDS.

Like homosexuals, obese people have came together and formed political lobbies to force clothing companies to carry plus sizes and airlines and hotels to provide special accommodations.

After reading the many homosexual threads on Christian boards, I was surprised to find nothing on gluttony. Also, I was surprised to find many overweight Americans attending church.....some were even in the pulpit! So why is this? Why are we not warning all the overweight people we see that gluttony is a sin and that they are on the road to Hell? Why are we giving them false hope that they can be Christians and gluttons? Currently, there is no weight restriction for reciting the sinners prayer, being baptized, or being ordained - aren't we leading thousands of overweight people down to the Pit?

Calling all Christians! Next time you see a homosexual and you want to tell him he is going to Hell; turn to your right and your left and tell the 5 obese people surrounding you that they are going to Hell, before approaching the homosexual. Chances are that, unlike the homosexual, they have never heard that message before.

Alright. Firstly, what is gluttony? This is how I understand it to be: gluttony is when food CONTROLS you. You don't have to be fat to be a glutton. You can be skinny person who cannot control themselves. I'd like to see where you get this wonderful idea that fat people are headed for hell from Scripture! I have read alot about nutrition being a sports person, and you don't have to eat alot to get fat. I can assure that right now. Just because you eat alot doesn't mean you are a glutton. A glutton is when you don't have self-control. This is what Paul said about self-control:1Co_6:12 All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any.

Once we are brought under the power of something, that becomes our god, because we are enslaved to it. That is when eating becomes a sin. When we cannot resist and we cannot control ourselves eating.

For a guy who has been talking about love to the point that it makes me sick, you don't seem to hesitate in declaring that overweight people are headed to hell! Just one more fact: muscle weighs more than fat. So overweight is not always actually fat! I think you better watch what you say.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Alright. Firstly, what is gluttony? This is how I understand it to be: gluttony is when food CONTROLS you. You don't have to be fat to be a glutton. You can be skinny person who cannot control themselves. I'd like to see where you get this wonderful idea that fat people are headed for hell from Scripture! I have read alot about nutrition being a sports person, and you don't have to eat alot to get fat. I can assure that right now. Just because you eat alot doesn't mean you are a glutton. A glutton is when you don't have self-control. This is what Paul said about self-control:1Co_6:12 All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any.

Once we are brought under the power of something, that becomes our god, because we are enslaved to it. That is when eating becomes a sin. When we cannot resist and we cannot control ourselves eating.

For a guy who has been talking about love to the point that it makes me sick, you don't seem to hesitate in declaring that overweight people are headed to hell! Just one more fact: muscle weighs more than fat. So overweight is not always actually fat! I think you better watch what you say.

Typical denial. The fact is, people with developed muscle are not obese. Of course gluttony is considered more than simply consuming too much food or the wrong food, but it also includes most overweight people. Obesity related illness is the number one killer of Americans - Conservative Christians happen to include the highest number of obese Americans - many of these people are very judgmental against homosexuals and other people who are different than themselves. My point about the sin of gluttony or even greed, for that matter, is that we need to look at ourselves before we start judging others. I think you would have noticed that point if you had read the thread.

And I am sorry that God's Will for our lives makes you sick - how sad.

Comm.Arnold

Apr 7, 2011
Here is an interesting article about the subject http Link #1

Points out that the high calorie sedenteray life style is not what our creator had in mind. It does say a few things about clean and unclean meats but I don't like bacon anyways. Also talks about how Jesus was a carpenter in an age without power tools, any woodworking guys on here can you imagine ?

Groundzero

Not Afraid To Stand
Jul 20, 2011
Australia
Typical denial. The fact is, people with developed muscle are not obese. Of course gluttony is considered more than simply consuming too much food or the wrong food, but it also includes most overweight people. Obesity related illness is the number one killer of Americans - Conservative Christians happen to include the highest number of obese Americans - many of these people are very judgmental against homosexuals and other people who are different than themselves. My point about the sin of gluttony or even greed, for that matter, is that we need to look at ourselves before we start judging others. I think you would have noticed that point if you had read the thread.

And I am sorry that God's Will for our lives makes you sick - how sad.

God's will doesn't make me sick. The way you distort it is. Even though God has incredible love and mercy, he still will punish people, even you recognise that fact.

Where are the Scriptures that say that being overweight sends you to hell?

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God's will doesn't make me sick. The way you distort it is. Even though God has incredible love and mercy, he still will punish people, even you recognise that fact.

Where are the Scriptures that say that being overweight sends you to hell?

Once again, obesity is most often a sign of gluttony. You know very well that gluttony is condemned in the Bible.

How have I distorted love? We are commanded to do it and to not judge - what's the problem?

Groundzero

Not Afraid To Stand
Jul 20, 2011
Australia
Once again, obesity is most often a sign of gluttony. You know very well that gluttony is condemned in the Bible.

How have I distorted love? We are commanded to do it and to not judge - what's the problem?

You seem to feel rather free to judge overweight people!

You still haven't posted a Scripture to support your view. I know that the Bible condemns gluttony, and I have already explained why. Gluttony is when food controls you. Whatever controls you is your god. Idolatry is if we have any other god other than Jehovah. Therefore, gluttony is idolatry because it replace God.

Being fat, however, is NOT a sin. NOWHERE in Scripture do we find such a statement. I wish to see your verses that support such a theory, because I have a massive problem with someone who declares Scripture states that overweight people are headed to Hell.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You seem to feel rather free to judge overweight people!

You still haven't posted a Scripture to support your view. I know that the Bible condemns gluttony, and I have already explained why. Gluttony is when food controls you. Whatever controls you is your god. Idolatry is if we have any other god other than Jehovah. Therefore, gluttony is idolatry because it replace God.

Being fat, however, is NOT a sin. NOWHERE in Scripture do we find such a statement. I wish to see your verses that support such a theory, because I have a massive problem with someone who declares Scripture states that overweight people are headed to Hell.

LOL - you are totally missing the point of this thread!

Who is Jehovah?

Not that gluttony is even the point of the thread, but are you SERIOUS? Overweight is the definition of excess! Call it greed or gluttony or theft - whatever you want - it is over consumption and it is sinful! If you cannot see that you are completely blind.

Groundzero

Not Afraid To Stand
Jul 20, 2011
Australia
LOL - you are totally missing the point of this thread!

Who is Jehovah?

Not that gluttony is even the point of the thread, but are you SERIOUS? Overweight is the definition of excess! Call it greed or gluttony or theft - whatever you want - it is over consumption and it is sinful! If you cannot see that you are completely blind.

Jesus.

Really? Why is the topic called Gluttony then? Gluttony is not about excess; it's about being controlled by food. I previously stated that you don't need to be fat to be a glutton. You can be a shrivelled stick! You don't have to eat much to be fat. Even exercise won't always keep it down. Some people are just that way. Their metabolism is at a different rate to others. I am not about to step out of my shoes and condemn them for it.

Since you are making such a big point over over-consumption, what is classified as over consumption?! As I have already pointed out, fat people don't always eat more than others. Sometimes they eat less! It's more to do with the food they eat, the exercise, and their body's metabolism!

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus.

Really? Why is the topic called Gluttony then? Gluttony is not about excess; it's about being controlled by food. I previously stated that you don't need to be fat to be a glutton. You can be a shrivelled stick! You don't have to eat much to be fat. Even exercise won't always keep it down. Some people are just that way. Their metabolism is at a different rate to others. I am not about to step out of my shoes and condemn them for it.

Since you are making such a big point over over-consumption, what is classified as over consumption?! As I have already pointed out, fat people don't always eat more than others. Sometimes they eat less! It's more to do with the food they eat, the exercise, and their body's metabolism!

Jesus is Jehovah? Really? I thought Jehovah was a mis-translation of Yahweh.........

The Jesus I know is the Son of Yahweh.

Over-consumption is taking more than you need to live God's Will. American's have a real problem in this area and Jesus warned that it is easier for a camel to walk through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter Heaven.

This thread is about looking at yourself and your own sins before judging others. It was a response to a very judgmental thread about homosexuality. I highlighted gluttony because many Americans engage in the practice and unlike lying, it can often be seen in the state of obesity. Hypocrisy is a problem in the church and outside the church - yet we are called to be a light unto the world. As you can see from the responses to this thread, people spent a lot of time defending overweight people; while on the other thread, they continued to condemn homosexuality, rather than simply recognizing that we are all sinners and working on their own self-awareness (humility) instead of condemning others.

The only reason we are even allowed to see the personal sins of others is so that we can become more self aware of our own sins......not to judge others.

Groundzero

Not Afraid To Stand
Jul 20, 2011
Australia
Jesus is Jehovah? Really? I thought Jehovah was a mis-translation of Yahweh.........

The Jesus I know is the Son of Yahweh.

Over-consumption is taking more than you need to live God's Will. American's have a real problem in this area and Jesus warned that it is easier for a camel to walk through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter Heaven.

This thread is about looking at yourself and your own sins before judging others. It was a response to a very judgmental thread about homosexuality. I highlighted gluttony because many Americans engage in the practice and unlike lying, it can often be seen in the state of obesity. Hypocrisy is a problem in the church and outside the church - yet we are called to be a light unto the world. As you can see from the responses to this thread, people spent a lot of time defending overweight people; while on the other thread, they continued to condemn homosexuality, rather than simply recognizing that we are all sinners and working on their own self-awareness (humility) instead of condemning others.

The only reason we are even allowed to see the personal sins of others is so that we can become more self aware of our own sins......not to judge others.

Dear aspen,

I do not condemn homosexuals. I do condemn homosexuality. I am not defending overweight people. I am defending Scripture. No where in Scripture are fat people condemned. However, people cannot exercise self control are, whether they be fat or skinny. I have already traced why gluttony is a sin. To say, however, that one is going to hell just because they are fat is a bridge too far.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Dear aspen,

I do not condemn homosexuals. I do condemn homosexuality. I am not defending overweight people. I am defending Scripture. No where in Scripture are fat people condemned. However, people cannot exercise self control are, whether they be fat or skinny. I have already traced why gluttony is a sin. To say, however, that one is going to hell just because they are fat is a bridge too far.

Well, if you want to hang on to your private understanding of the thread......I am not going to stop you.