Can AI have a spirit?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Only if God gives it. It cannot be manufactured physically.

Genesis 2:

7 then the LORD God formed the man of dust from the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath [H5397] of life, and the man became a living creature.
The breath of life is a detached spiritual substance from the Spirit of God. It animates the man.

Genesis 7:

22 of all that was on the dry land, all in whose nostrils was the breath of the spirit [H7307] of life, died.
When God withdraws this breath/spirit, the animation stops and the animal dies.

Psalm 104:

29 When you hide your face, they are dismayed;
when you take away their breath, they die and return to their dust.
30 When you send forth your Spirit, they are created, and you renew the face of the ground.
Job 33:4

The Spirit of God has made me;
the breath of the Almighty gives me life.

doctrox

Jun 11, 2019
global
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can AI have a spirit?
A.I. is a technology that utilizes materiel e.g. physical structures (in contrast to the mind or spirit). However, unclean spirits can inhabit such inanimate objects. Thus, A.I. can be consecrated to Satan's use.

The land itself can also be likewise animated (e.g. the land cries out, Jeremiah 12:4-6; the stones would cry out, Luke 19:40).
Satan has "advanced" knowledge of the physical and spiritual dynamic of creation ( ...and he knows how to use it). He is the prince of the power of the air (Eph. 2:1-2); it seems certain A.I. would be "his."

Last edited:

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Genesis 2:

The breath of life is a detached spiritual substance from the Spirit of God. It animates the man.

Genesis 7:

Psalm 104:

No, AI can't have a spirit.

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Genesis 2:

Genesis 7:

Psalm 104:

No. Robots will not have souls.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Can AI have a spirit?​

any more than a bottle of Whisky?

BeyondET

Jul 9, 2022
Hampton Roads
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Genesis 2:

Genesis 7:

Psalm 104:

If it could, it would be artificial lol..

Once the breath ceases, life is a cascade of events before the whole being is considered dead. Life can hang on, up to a week or more.

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
If it could, it would be artificial lol..

Once the breath ceases, life is a cascade of events before the whole being is considered dead. Life can hang on, up to a week or more.
By the breath of life, I meant the human spirit.

Reactions: BeyondET

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
An AI that would have any chance of communing with God would need to be holy. This in itself is impossible for a creation of man who is evil. Putting that aside it's personality would need to be as immutable in devotion to God as a holy angel.

Except it would still be precluded from any communication with God, as without the Holy Spirit or a spiritual body it wouldn't be possible to enter heaven. An angel would need to appear to it for even indirect communication, so it would have to contend with the wiles of Satan as well.

Then there is the aspect of all things in creation being made by God. And the redemptive plan entails restoring things made by God. Would a creation of a creation qualify for this new world under Christ.

Yet anything is possible for God.

Reactions: TonyChanYT

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God breathed into Adam, the Adam, the breath of life and Adam became a living soul.

AI creatures are not of God the creator. They are created by the human creation of God. And therefore would be incapable of receiving God's breath of life as God's creation.

doctrox

Jun 11, 2019
global
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The OP later posted this:
By the breath of life, I meant the human spirit.
...which was followed by comments about "artificial life," the "soul," etc.

So the responses in this thread have largely become red herring stuff. The precise definition of "spirit" is not relevant. Rather, the relevant issue is whether or not an object (e.g. A.I.) can have a (any) spirit.

Recall in Exodus chapter 7 where Pharaoh's magicians, using "enchantments... cast down every man his rod, and they became serpents." This illustrates that any object (e.g. a rod or A.I.) that is appropriated by an authority can also then be consecrated by that authority to serve the purposes of that authority. Satan is such an authority; in fact, he is the prince of the power of the air, aka the airwaves, "the cloud."

To further illustrate, in the deliverance ministry, I have had numerous encounters with supernatural entities which had manifested themselves because of the presence of physical objects that had been consecrated to Satan. It's but one reason why we are cautioned about graven images. Images or objects don't need "God's breath" to be used as wicked devices.

We don't question that unclean spirits aka demons can inhabit animate objects (e.g. the Gadarene madman and the herd of swine). But some have angst about those same demons being able to inhabit, for example, inanimate objects e.g. technology such as A.I. In the world of the supernatural, THERE IS NO NECESSARY DISTINCTION DRAWN between animate and inanimate. IOW, it does not matter if such is the result of "artificial animation" or God's breath.

Anything, "living" or not, can be appropriated by one with authority to do so, to effect a spiritual consequence. And looking around lately, it's a no-brainer to spot the demonic fruit being generated by "A.I."

Further, there are several classes of angels; not all of them are "good" and not all of them have wings. The wingless bad guys seek embodiment to more effectively act out their wicked nature, which is why they prefer animate objects such as people (or even pigs). But with the current state of ubiquitous high-technology, Satan is doubtless getting more saturation through the likes of A.I. than he could ever get through mankind alone.

Where most of us fall down on this, is that we have not been taught how to effectively wage spiritual warfare. Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God. Back then, Moses knew how to use his authority (via an inanimate rod) to effect an animated reality. Presently, "Christianity" is in freefall because we don't know how to "try the spirits."

Last edited:

doctrox

Jun 11, 2019
global
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My edited statement:
In the world of the supernatural, THERE IS NO NECESSARY DISTINCTION DRAWN between animate and inanimate.
...and your terse response:
Rather, show me a "verse" where God prohibits A.I. from being utilized demonically.

To further explain, inanimate objects can be negatively controlled through curses. (I personally recognize the curse that is A.I..)

A curse is simply a demon sent to do some harm. That is, through the permission of the one who has rights over an object, a demon attaches itself to the object and inflicts harm through it. Question: What entity has the rights over A.I.?

Last edited:

DJT_47

Oct 29, 2022
Michigan/Sterling Heights
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No way a man-made object could ever have a soul.
Just for clarity, the spirit is not the soul. The spirit and soul can be separated.

Heb 4:12

12For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.