God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I notice it says the message of the cross. Not the message of a pole.

Which came first the cross or the pole???

And I, if I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all peoples to Myself.” This He said, signifying by what death He would die.
John 12:32

Reactions: amigo de christo

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Which came first the cross or the pole???

And I, if I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all peoples to Myself.” This He said, signifying by what death He would die.
John 12:32
1Co 1:18 - For the message about the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1Co 1:18 - For the message about the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God

Amen to 1 Cor 1:18

But what came first = the pole or the cross?

Correct Answer: Numbers 21:9
So Moses made a bronze serpent, and put it on a pole; and so it was, if a serpent had bitten anyone, when he looked at the bronze serpent, he lived.

Correct Answer Confirmed: John 3:14

And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of Man be lifted up,

Peace and Blessings from Above
Came down in the Form of a Dove
Oh what Great Love
The Dove of His Love called the Spirit of Truth

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: amigo de christo

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No matter how much knowledge or wisdom a man has in himself, he cannot walk the straight line to the Light of God alone. Neither a brain like Einstein, nor body with the strength of a Samson, will take us to that goal! What Jeremiah wrote here still applies to any man of flesh alone:

O LORD, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps." Jerem 10:23

We need help and God, through the written verses of scriptures, has told us where or how to ask:

O that my ways were directed to keep thy statutes" Psalm 119:5

Cause me to hear thy lovingkindness in the morning; for in thee do I trust: cause me to know the way wherein I should walk; for I lift up my soul unto thee." Psalm 143:8

A man's heart deviseth his way: but the LORD directeth his steps." Prov 16:9
But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you" Matt 6:33
Are those tables you're using? Nice, whatever it is! ;)

Reactions: amadeus

Adam

Nov 30, 2022
X
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
What does it mean God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise? God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong?
One thing I always say to my wife is- anyone who unironically refers to themselves as a genius, or an intellectual, or a wise man... is inevitably a collossal ignoramus. True wisdom is what Plato said - knowing that you in fact know nothing.

If a child or a simple man can understand the message of the Bible but a PhD in theology can't; or if a crippled man can show inner strength, but an athlete can't; then God shows that goodness doesn't come from one's accomplishments, but from within. It is a rule of the Bible that the most lowly are brought up and the most haughty are humbled.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
some examples of Foolishness to the world would be:

1. Faith in a God they can not see, and the value of that faith.
2. Giving expecting nothing in return.
3. Dying that you might live.
4. Waiting on God in your sufferings.
5. Praying instead of acting yourself.
6. The existence of anything spiritual.
7. That Jesus rose from the dead.
8. That Jesus is God.
9. That his blood sanctifies sinners.
10. That his believers receive his Holy Spirit, within them.
11. That they will handle serpents and drink deadly poison and live.

one could go on and on.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
some examples of Foolishness to the world would be:

1. Faith in a God they can not see, and the value of that faith.
2. Giving expecting nothing in return.
3. Dying that you might live.
4. Waiting on God in your sufferings.
5. Praying instead of acting yourself.
6. The existence of anything spiritual.
7. That Jesus rose from the dead.
8. That Jesus is God.
9. That his blood sanctifies sinners.
10. That his believers receive his Holy Spirit, within them.
11. That they will handle serpents and drink deadly poison and live.

one could go on and on.

thanks, Lance

May the God of peace be with you and all.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No matter how much knowledge or wisdom a man has in himself, he cannot walk the straight line to the Light of God alone. Neither a brain like Einstein, nor body with the strength of a Samson, will take us to that goal! What Jeremiah wrote here still applies to any man of flesh alone:

O LORD, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps." Jerem 10:23

We need help and God, through the written verses of scriptures, has told us where or how to ask:

O that my ways were directed to keep thy statutes" Psalm 119:5

Cause me to hear thy lovingkindness in the morning; for in thee do I trust: cause me to know the way wherein I should walk; for I lift up my soul unto thee." Psalm 143:8

A man's heart deviseth his way: but the LORD directeth his steps." Prov 16:9
But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you" Matt 6:33
Thats right my friend . Let all that has breath praise and thank the glorious Lord .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gods will for the believers walk of life

“And we beseech you, brethren, to know them which labour among you, and are over you in the Lord, and admonish you; and to esteem them very highly in love for their work's sake. And be at peace among yourselves.

Now we exhort you, brethren, warn them that are unruly, comfort the feebleminded, support the weak, be patient toward all men.

See that none render evil for evil unto any man; but ever follow that which is good, both among yourselves, and to all men. Rejoice evermore.

Pray without ceasing. In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you. Quench not the Spirit.

Despise not prophesyings. Prove all things; hold fast that which is good. Abstain from all appearance of evil. And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.”
‭‭1 Thessalonians‬ ‭5‬:‭12‬-‭23‬ ‭KJV‬‬

This of course was written to the people in Thessalonica; in that proper time and age.

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gods will for the believers walk of life

“And we beseech you, brethren, to know them which labour among you, and are over you in the Lord, and admonish you; and to esteem them very highly in love for their work's sake. And be at peace among yourselves.

Now we exhort you, brethren, warn them that are unruly, comfort the feebleminded, support the weak, be patient toward all men.

See that none render evil for evil unto any man; but ever follow that which is good, both among yourselves, and to all men. Rejoice evermore.

Pray without ceasing. In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you. Quench not the Spirit.

Despise not prophesyings. Prove all things; hold fast that which is good. Abstain from all appearance of evil. And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.”
‭‭1 Thessalonians‬ ‭5‬:‭12‬-‭23‬ ‭KJV‬‬

This of course was written to the people in Thessalonica; in that proper time and age.

This is written to us as well = for our proper time and age..............

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The light-colored boxes around your Scripture quotes :)
I simply copied and pasted the verses from the Bible program on my computer [not on the Internet] and the boxes were there inserted apparently by this forum's own program.

Reactions: BarneyFife

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“The proverbs of Solomon the son of David, king of Israel;

To know wisdom and instruction;

To perceive the words of understanding;

To receive the instruction of wisdom, Justice, and judgment, and equity; To give subtilty to the simple, To the young man knowledge and discretion.

A wise man will hear, and will increase learning; And a man of understanding shall attain unto wise counsels: To understand a proverb, and the interpretation; The words of the wise, and their dark sayings.

The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: But fools despise wisdom and instruction. My son, hear the instruction of thy father, And forsake not the law of thy mother: For they shall be an ornament of grace unto thy head, And chains about thy neck.

My son, if sinners entice thee, Consent thou not. If they say, Come with us, let us lay wait for blood, Let us lurk privily for the innocent without cause: Let us swallow them up alive as the grave; And whole, as those that go down into the pit: We shall find all precious substance, We shall fill our houses with spoil: Cast in thy lot among us; Let us all have one purse: My son, walk not thou in the way with them; Refrain thy foot from their path: For their feet run to evil, And make haste to shed blood.

Surely in vain the net is spread In the sight of any bird. And they lay wait for their own blood; They lurk privily for their own lives. So are the ways of every one that is greedy of gain; Which taketh away the life of the owners thereof.

Wisdom crieth without; She uttereth her voice in the streets: She crieth in the chief place of concourse, in the openings of the gates: In the city she uttereth her words, saying, How long, ye simple ones, will ye love simplicity? And the scorners delight in their scorning, And fools hate knowledge?

Turn you at my reproof: Behold, I will pour out my spirit unto you, I will make known my words unto you. Because I have called, and ye refused; I have stretched out my hand, and no man regarded; But ye have set at nought all my counsel, And would none of my reproof: I also will laugh at your calamity; I will mock when your fear cometh; When your fear cometh as desolation, And your destruction cometh as a whirlwind; When distress and anguish cometh upon you. Then shall they call upon me, but I will not answer; They shall seek me early, but they shall not find me: For that they hated knowledge, And did not choose the fear of the LORD: They would none of my counsel: They despised all my reproof.

Therefore shall they eat of the fruit of their own way, And be filled with their own devices. For the turning away of the simple shall slay them, And the prosperity of fools shall destroy them. But whoso hearkeneth unto me shall dwell safely, And shall be quiet from fear of evil.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭1‬:‭1‬-‭33‬ ‭KJV‬‬

A good read.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise?​

God says to sinners 'forgiven'.
Sinners say to each other 'fall into line according to my theory/ theology before God will forgive you'

God's attitude of goodwill (forgiveness) to mumbling bumbling rebellious man does not compute in the mind of a fallen undeserving creature.

The wisdom of man says one must jump through certain hoops (each denomination, each culture has it's own invented hoops)

Reactions: bbyrd009