God covers us with His righteousness:

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Vengle

Sep 22, 2011
Ohio
The only way we crucify Jesus again is if we believe His work on the cross was not enough. That is an afront to Him.

We are to build our faith in His works on the cross. That is going on to perfection; perfection "in Christ".

But you want us to think that our works to make ourselves righteous is making us obtain perfection. I disagree with you.

In the eyes of God every child of God is perfect "in Christ" and we were (past tense) placed "in Christ" by the Holy Spirit when we trusted in Him.

That sounds to me like a bad employee.

He shows up at work only to see that the job he thought he was to do is done so he turns around and goes home instead of finding out what else needs to be done.

Matthew 25:24 Then he which had received the one talent came and said, Lord, I knew thee that thou art an hard man, reaping where thou hast not sown, and gathering where thou hast not strawed:
25 And I was afraid, and went and hid thy talent in the earth: lo, there thou hast that is thine.
26 His lord answered and said unto him, Thou wicked and slothful servant, thou knewest that I reap where I sowed not, and gather where I have not strawed:
27 Thou oughtest therefore to have put my money to the exchangers, and then at my coming I should have received mine own with usury.
28 Take therefore the talent from him, and give it unto him which hath ten talents.
29 For unto every one that hath shall be given, and he shall have abundance: but from him that hath not shall be taken away even that which he hath.
30 And cast ye the unprofitable servant into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
God covers us with His righteousness:

Isaiah 61:10
10 I will greatly rejoice in the Lord, My soul shall be joyful in my God; For He has clothed me with the garments of salvation, He has covered me with the robe of righteousness, As a bridegroom decks himself with ornaments, And as a bride adorns herself with her jewels.
NKJV

It is God that covers sinful men/women with His righteousness.

Romans 3:8-26
8 And why not say, "Let us do evil that good may come"? — as we are slanderously reported and as some affirm that we say. Their condemnation is just.

(All Have Sinned (Psalms 14:1-3; 53:1-4))

9 What then? Are we better than they? Not at all. For we have previously charged both Jews and Greeks that they are all under sin.
10 As it is written: "There is none righteous, no, not one;
11 There is none who understands; There is none who seeks after God.
12 They have all turned aside; They have together become unprofitable; There is none who does good, no, not one."
13 "Their throat is an open tomb; With their tongues they have practiced deceit"; "The poison of asps is under their lips";
14 "Whose mouth is full of cursing and bitterness."
15 "Their feet are swift to shed blood;
16 Destruction and misery are in their ways;
17 And the way of peace they have not known."
18 "There is no fear of God before their eyes."
19 Now we know that whatever the law says, it says to those who are under the law, that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God.
20 Therefore by the deeds of the law no flesh will be justified in His sight, for by the law is the knowledge of sin.

(God's Righteousness Through Faith)

21 But now the righteousness of God apart from the law is revealed, being witnessed by the Law and the Prophets,
22 even the righteousness of God, through faith in Jesus Christ, to all and on all who believe. For there is no difference;
23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,
24 being justified freely by His grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus,
25 whom God set forth as a propitiation by His blood, through faith, to demonstrate His righteousness, because in His forbearance God had passed over the sins that were previously committed,
26 to demonstrate at the present time His righteousness, that He might be just and the justifier of the one who has faith in Jesus.
NKJV

Christ was the Lamb of God who took away the sins of the world. By taking away our sins, it means that He took it completely away and not just covered it up with His righteous. If He only covered our sins, then that means our sins still remain. Also, when God forgives our sins, it means just that. Our sins are forgiven and is no longer there. We start anew.

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
That sounds to me like a bad employee.

He shows up at work only to see that the job he thought he was to do is done so he turns around and goes home instead of finding out what else needs to be done.

Matthew 25:24 Then he which had received the one talent came and said, Lord, I knew thee that thou art an hard man, reaping where thou hast not sown, and gathering where thou hast not strawed:
25 And I was afraid, and went and hid thy talent in the earth: lo, there thou hast that is thine.
26 His lord answered and said unto him, Thou wicked and slothful servant, thou knewest that I reap where I sowed not, and gather where I have not strawed:
27 Thou oughtest therefore to have put my money to the exchangers, and then at my coming I should have received mine own with usury.
28 Take therefore the talent from him, and give it unto him which hath ten talents.
29 For unto every one that hath shall be given, and he shall have abundance: but from him that hath not shall be taken away even that which he hath.
30 And cast ye the unprofitable servant into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Nailed right on!

The misunderstanding that is so common in our day and age is that because we were called without works, we don't have to answer the calling with works.

It is true that indeed we were called apart from works. Thus all who repent and believe receive a talent! But what we do with that talent matters.

The gospel is about just men made perfect. Of those who come to Christ, some start just, and are made perfect. Some start unjust, are made just (righteous), and made perfect (holy).

RichardBurger

Jan 23, 2008
Southeast USA
The scriptures clearly say that God covers the childern of God with His righteousness but it seems most do not believe it.

The scriptures clearly say that those that place their belief, faith, trust, and confidence "in Him" HAVE/HAS eternal life but most refuse to believe it.

They, the most, can believe what they wish but I will believe that the child of God is both saved and kept by the power of God. My faith is in God's (Jesus') work on the cross for it is the power of God to save mankind.

Hebrews 3:16-4:3
16 For who, having heard, rebelled? Indeed, was it not all who came out of Egypt, led by Moses?
17 Now with whom was He angry forty years? Was it not with those who sinned, whose corpses fell in the wilderness?
18 And to whom did He swear that they would not enter His rest, but to those who did not obey?
19 So we see that they could not enter in because of unbelief.

The Promise of Rest 4
1 Therefore, since a promise remains of entering His rest, let us fear lest any of you seem to have come short of it.
2 For indeed the gospel was preached to us as well as to them; but the word which they heard did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in those who heard it.
3 For we who have believed do enter that rest, as He has said: "So I swore in My wrath, 'They shall not enter My rest,'" although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.
NKJV

Hebrews 4:9-10
9 There remains therefore a rest for the people of God.
10 For he who has entered His rest has himself also ceased from his works as God did from His.
NKJV

I have entered God's rest and ceased from my works.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I have entered God's rest and ceased from my works.

In order to do the works that we were created to do in Christ...or to bury your talent like the wicked servant?

Are we not created to do the works of God...not in our strength (dead works) , but His! (works prepared in advance? )

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
The scriptures clearly say that faith without works is dead.

Not because it is by works we are saved, but because the kind of faith that pleases God requires obedience. And then God decides who is 'saved'... At the time of judgment.

Anything else takes the 'disciple' out of 'discipleship', and that kind of ship just doesn't float! ;)

The Israelites didn't enter because of unbelief. What did they not believe? That they could take the promised land!

Unless we have faith that indeed we can overcome through Christ, our faith is dead. We must be as Joshua and Caleb; even though when we look at our reality with our carnal eyes, these things look impossible, we must look with spiritual eyes, and trust God. Then, we move out of faith (obedience).

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
In order to do the works that we were created to do in Christ...or to bury your talent like the wicked servant?

Are we not created to do the works of God...not in our strength (dead works) , but His! (works prepared in advance? )

I agree. We can do nothing without God. When we have faith, it is the Holy Spirit who works in us. It is no longer us who works. We are the sons and daughters of God, and the sons and daughters of God do not sit around doing nothing. The sons and daughters of God were created to do the works of God...not in their strength, but in His.

RichardBurger

Jan 23, 2008
Southeast USA
The scriptures clearly say that faith without works is dead.

You continue to use the words sent to the Jews by James (James 1:1) as being relevant for the grace church.

James and the Jews were under the Law of Moses and under law a person had to do the works of the Law of Moses.

Under grace the Law of Moses has been set aside and replaced by grace.

You can’t mix law and grace. Under grace all that is required is that a person believes the gospel of grace that was given to Paul for us.

But it is your intent to get the children of God back under law, do this and I will do that.

Under law you get what you work for. Under grace you get what God has given you as a free gift when you actually believe it to be a free gift and count on it.

I agree. We can do nothing without God. When we have faith, it is the Holy Spirit who works in us. It is no longer us who works. We are the sons and daughters of God, and the sons and daughters of God do not sit around doing nothing. The sons and daughters of God were created to do the works of God...not in their strength, but in His.

And what do you see as working for God? Is it by not sinning, by claiming to not sin.

As I see it we are to proclaim the gospel of grace to the lost. That God has made a way for sinful people to be saved by what He (God) did on the cross.

But I see most proclaiming their sinlessness (which they don't have) as the means of salvation. That salvation is in the hands of men.

There is no other way into heaven than through the shed blood of Jesus on the cross and when someone comes on a forum proclaiming belief, faith, trust, confidence in the shed blood on the cross as that way they are ridiculed.

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
Grace is the empowerement to fulfill the commands of God, not a license to sin! Though you won't admit to it directly, that is what you promote. To you, grace requires no overcoming and using it to be as Christ, only 'believing' it's yours, and saying thank you God, see you in the next life!

We are to walk in his power and life now.

Is it possible, Richard, to walk as he walked?

You claim that God saves the old man! You claim God saves the flesh! We must crucify the flesh that the new man may live. You make yourself an enemy of the cross, because you say 'no no, don't crucify the flesh, God has come to save it'.