God didn't always exist but he changed

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

JBO

Oct 20, 2023
Prescott, AZ
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I thought the physical universe was the referent here. What, besides God, does the bible say existed prior to "the beginning" mentioned in Genesis 1:1?
Angels perhaps? The bible does not give us very much information about anything prior to creation of the universe. But it does suggest that angels witnessed the creation.

darkspeed6

Jan 28, 2024
Illinois
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
That is not what the bible says in Genesis. We are told only of the time that this water-covered world was restored.
It says all things were created in that time. It described stars being created...that's more than earth being made. Sounds more like a universe being created.

God was creating the major foundations of the universe in those days. Once those days ended, he WASNT creating the major foundations of the universe. That's change.

RedFan

May 15, 2022
New Hampshire
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It says all things were created in that time. It described stars being created...that's more than earth being made. Sounds more like a universe being created.

God was creating the major foundations of the universe in those days. Once those days ended, he WASNT creating the major foundations of the universe. That's change.
It's creating change. Doesn't mean HE changed when that creating actvity ceased.

darkspeed6

Jan 28, 2024
Illinois
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
It's creating change. Doesn't mean HE changed when that creating actvity ceased.

If I was creating a video game, then I stopped doing that, I must've changed to stop working on creating it. You seriously misunderstand what change is

If god when creating major foundations is the exact same as god when not creating major foundations, then why are those two god doing different things? Two things that are exactly the same thing can't be doing different things at the same time. What you are doing defines what you are...two gods that r doing different things means they r different gods

Last edited:

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
If god always existed, he would have been doing nothing for an infinite past. That's out of character for god to do because doing nothing is pointless, and god doesn't do pointless things to do. Also, it's not possible to do nothing for infinity. An infinite past of nothing can't lead to a future of doing something. If a chair sat in an empty room and was never moved from its position, it would never end up in a different position. If god sat and did nothing for an infinite past, then what happened in that past that made him change his mind later to decide to create?

And if god doesn't change, then why did he change his mind to decide to create after an infinite past of doing nothing? He wasn't creating, but then later he was creating. That means God changed.
See my signature below:

All that is knowable is always known by God. It is impossible for nothing to exist because if it did then it would be something.

RedFan

May 15, 2022
New Hampshire
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
See my signature below:

It is impossible for nothing to exist because if it did then it would be something.
That depends on the sense in which you are using "nothing" here. For instance:

Nothing.jpg

This statement will be true or false depending on whether “Nothing” refers to the word itself or to the word’s meaning. If the word itself is the referent, the statement is true (because, as we see, there it is, the word “Nothing” written in stone). If the meaning of the word is the referent, the statement is false (because, as we see, several words are written in stone).

Then there is the meaning of the entire phrase to consider. In context, “written in stone” is shorthand for “unalterable.” The phrase simply asserts the prevalence of changeability, i.e., declares that nothing in the universe is immutable.

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
That depends on the sense in which you are using "nothing" here. For instance:

View attachment 44112

This statement will be true or false depending on whether “Nothing” refers to the word itself or to the word’s meaning. If the word itself is the referent, the statement is true (because, as we see, there it is, the word “Nothing” written in stone). If the meaning of the word is the referent, the statement is false (because, as we see, several words are written in stone).

Then there is the meaning of the entire phrase to consider. In context, “written in stone” is shorthand for “unalterable.” The phrase simply asserts the prevalence of changeability, i.e., declares that nothing in the universe is immutable.
Yes, if everything was non-existent who would know?

Spyder

Jan 9, 2024
Holt
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Well, what I read is that there was no light on Earth which Yahweh provided BEFORE the heavens were revealed. We should not necessarily believe that "let the" means instant existence but can mean "let lights appear." What we are not told is how Earth became dark and water covered. Usually, we try to see it from our limited view and call it science - which puts us instantly in conflict with science. I don't think that is the best way to understand Genesis.

Adrift

Apr 1, 2024
Houston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If god always existed, he would have been doing nothing for an infinite past. That's out of character for god to do because doing nothing is pointless, and god doesn't do pointless things to do. Also, it's not possible to do nothing for infinity. An infinite past of nothing can't lead to a future of doing something. If a chair sat in an empty room and was never moved from its position, it would never end up in a different position. If god sat and did nothing for an infinite past, then what happened in that past that made him change his mind later to decide to create?

And if god doesn't change, then why did he change his mind to decide to create after an infinite past of doing nothing? He wasn't creating, but then later he was creating. That means God changed.
Suggesting to know what God was/is doing or not is the epitome of theological arrogance. First, we do not know that this is the "only" thing that God was doing when he created the universe. Our entire known universe could be a small speck on a dog's eyelash in some other dimension. God is both omniscient and omnipotent. He may have created billions of universes before, or while, he started on this one. Your premise of "change" is interesting. Your implying that God could never play chess because he would have to change!

Reactions: RedFan and Spyder