God Died on the Cross

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is it correct to say God died on the cross?

• Total voters

Watchwithme

Jul 20, 2012
You are not being pedantic. It is a very important point. To seperate Jesus into a human person and divine person is the Nestorian heresy.

Interesting, I didn't know that. It goes to show that people rarely come up with an original thought.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Because His divinity went to preach to the lost, NOT His humanity.

This is less than the truth. Jesus reconciles divinity and humanity in Himself. There is no dichotomy. We can be exactly as He is through the regeneration that brings the divine nature to us. So God meets us half way...but then we are together...in Christ.

biggandyy

I am here to help...
Oct 11, 2011
SWPA
This post is all that needs to be said about the subject.

http://www.ligonier.org/blog/it-accurate-say-god-died-cross/

-BA

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
This post is all that needs to be said about the subject.

http://www.ligonier....god-died-cross/

-BA

R.C. Sproul is all mixed up.

He says (for example)
Some say, “It was the second person of the Trinity Who died.” That would be a mutation within the very being of God, because when we look at the Trinity we say that the three are one in essence, and that though there are personal distinctions among the persons of the Godhead, those distinctions are not essential in the sense that they are differences in being.

He denies that it is the second person of the Trinity who dies.

Then he says:
"It’s the God-man Who dies". Now who is the God-man but Jesus Christ, the second person of the Trinity?

And how can he say that the distincton in persons is non-essential?

The difference between the Father, Son and Holy Spirit non-essential?

biggandyy

I am here to help...
Oct 11, 2011
SWPA
Because it is non-essential in the discussion. They are the same being (essense), 3 Who's but one What. The WHO is the distinction in person, but RC is speaking of the essence of God, the What.

And as he put, if the What died then the universe would cease to exist since it is God which sustains the very fabric of existence.

Since God is a triunity, person and being, (the triunity coming from the 3 persons) it can be difficult to divest the two (person and being) in order to distinguish them.

Stan

Jul 19, 2012
Calgary, Alberta, CA.
God in the form of Jesus Christ AKA flesh AKA human flesh was fully man and fully God. Where Jesus went on earth his humanity went with him because he was God in human form. Perhaps I'm being pedantic.

Exactly. His human flesh was His humanity, and this is what died. His spirit/diety is what went to hell to preach to the lost.
As Col 2:9 states; For in Christ all the fullness of the Deity lives in bodily form

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Because it is non-essential in the discussion. They are the same being (essense), 3 Who's but one What. The WHO is the distinction in person, but RC is speaking of the essence of God, the What.

And as he put, if the What died then the universe would cease to exist since it is God which sustains the very fabric of existence.

Since God is a triunity, person and being, (the triunity coming from the 3 persons) it can be difficult to divest the two (person and being) in order to distinguish them.

The same divine essence, but the distinction of persons is relevant. It is not the Father who experiences death. It is not the Spirit who experiences death.

But the 2nd person of the Trinity, a divine person, also has a human nature. It is that divine person who experienced death on a cross. Thus God died on the cross.

AS RC says "It’s the God-man Who dies". The God man is the second person of the Trinity, a divine person.

biggandyy

I am here to help...
Oct 11, 2011
SWPA
No, He was not a divine person. He was fully divine and fully a Man. That is the mystery of Christ.

Watchwithme

Jul 20, 2012
Exactly. His human flesh was His humanity, and this is what died. His spirit/diety is what went to hell to preach to the lost.
As Col 2:9 states; For in Christ all the fullness of the Deity lives in bodily form

I suppose you are going to tell us He didn't rise from the grave in bodily form.

The second person of the Trinity was not a divine person? :eek:

That's not what was said. Fully man and fully God does not render the human part less than divine, if it does, then explain how.

If God can preserve and save a mans sinful flesh with his shed blood and the Holy Spirit, given that Christ didn't sin and was born of a virgin by passing mans fallen nature, he had NO SIN IN HIM.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
That's not what was said. Fully man anf fully God does not render the huan part less than divine, if it does, then explain how.

biggandyy said "No, He was not a divine person. He was fully divine and fully a Man. That is the mystery of Christ."

Couppy

Jul 27, 2012
Hello all,

I am beginning think that I am the only person that believes that Jesus was fully God and fully man when he was on earth. I believe Jesus was fully man, and for many scriptural reasons:

1. The Word of God became flesh. John 1:14 did not say God also took upon himself humanity.

2. Hebrews 2: 17 (NKJV) 'In all things He had to be made like His brethren, that He might be a merciful and faithful High Priest in things pertaining to God, to make propitiation for the sins of the world.' If Jesus was on earth as God and as man then he was made nothing like His brethren (us) and would not be able to understand what it meant to be fully man for the strength of his Godhead will not allow him to experience fully the weakness of the flesh.

I believe that Jesus was fully man with the divine nature of God in Him, just as we have the divine nature of God in us. The only problem is that we limit what God can do through us. Jesus allowed God to manifest as He pleases.

3. As someone correctly said God is immortal. He cannot die. This mean that Jesus did not completely die on the cross if he was fully God in human form. When we sin we die spiritually to God. Our spirit becomes alienated from God. If Jesus was fully God He cannot deny himself. He cannot carry the sins of the world. Even the Father had to turn his face away from his only begotten son on the cross when the sins of the world were laid upon him. Is that not why he cried out in Matthew 15:34 'And at the ninth hour Jesus cried out with a loud voice, saying 'Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani?, which is translated as 'My God, My God, why have you forsaken Me?'

4. Jesus prayed in John 17: 5 "And now, O Father, glorify Me together with Yourself , with the glory which I had with you before the world was." Jesus left his glory in heaven to become flesh. As soon as He finished His work on earth he asked for the same glory which He had with the Father before the world was. On earth, Jesus was the 'Word of God' who became flesh and dwelt among us. John 1:14. In the beginning was the Word and the Word was God. John 1:1.

Couppy.

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
No sorry, our person-hood, soul/mind/spirit, NEVER dies. When the Bible talks about death, it is in reference to a physical death, NOT a meta-physical one.

Actually, that's not true either, because there is such a thing as the "second death" for the wicked, which is the destruction of the soul and spirit in the "lake of fire" (Matt.10:28; Rev.20). None of us have put on immortality just yet. As of right now, we only have the Promise to not ever die by Faith on Jesus Christ.

Hello all,

I am beginning think that I am the only person that believes that Jesus was fully God and fully man when he was on earth. I believe Jesus was fully man, and for many scriptural reasons:

1. The Word of God became flesh. John 1:14 did not say God also took upon himself humanity.

2. Hebrews 2: 17 (NKJV) 'In all things He had to be made like His brethren, that He might be a merciful and faithful High Priest in things pertaining to God, to make propitiation for the sins of the world.' If Jesus was on earth as God and as man then he was made nothing like His brethren (us) and would not be able to understand what it meant to be fully man for the strength of his Godhead will not allow him to experience fully the weakness of the flesh.

That part is true.

I believe that Jesus was fully man with the divine nature of God in Him, just as we have the divine nature of God in us. The only problem is that we limit what God can do through us. Jesus allowed God to manifest as He pleases.

That poses a problem, because it suggests that all we have to do is mimic exactly what our Lord Jesus did and then we can save ourselves, no longer needing Him since we would have the full working of The Father in us as He did. I don't think you meant that, but one needs to be careful with ideas like that, otherwise what did Christ come in the flesh to die on the cross for???

3. As someone correctly said God is immortal. He cannot die. This mean that Jesus did not completely die on the cross if he was fully God in human form. When we sin we die spiritually to God. Our spirit becomes alienated from God. If Jesus was fully God He cannot deny himself. He cannot carry the sins of the world. Even the Father had to turn his face away from his only begotten son on the cross when the sins of the world were laid upon him. Is that not why he cried out in Matthew 15:34 'And at the ninth hour Jesus cried out with a loud voice, saying 'Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani?, which is translated as 'My God, My God, why have you forsaken Me?'

Jesus was quoting directly from Psalms 22 when He said that upon the cross. He was teaching, even in the throes of death on the cross. For someone there at Christ's crucifixion that had read Psalms 22 and believed it, Jesus was giving them proof that He is The Saviour, right there and then. The Psalms 22 chapter has details of Christ's crucifixion, even about the soldiers casting lots upon His robes.

Couppy

Jul 27, 2012
Actually, that's not true either, because there is such a thing as the "second death" for the wicked, which is the destruction of the soul and spirit in the "lake of fire" (Matt.10:28; Rev.20). None of us have put on immortality just yet. As of right now, we only have the Promise to not ever die by Faith on Jesus Christ.

That part is true.

That poses a problem, because it suggests that all we have to do is mimic exactly what our Lord Jesus did and then we can save ourselves, no longer needing Him since we would have the full working of The Father in us as He did. I don't think you meant that, but one needs to be careful with ideas like that, otherwise what did Christ come in the flesh to die on the cross for???

Jesus was quoting directly from Psalms 22 when He said that upon the cross. He was teaching, even in the throes of death on the cross. For someone there at Christ's crucifixion that had read Psalms 22 and believed it, Jesus was giving them proof that He is The Saviour, right there and then. The Psalms 22 chapter has details of Christ's crucifixion, even about the soldiers casting lots upon His robes.

Psalms predicted what will happen in the future. I see no proof on the cross other than that Jesus was in pain and was dying. He had a close relationship with the Father but there was separation at the cross when the sins of the world was laid on Him. Christians who are very close to God recognises God's withdrawal from fellowship as soon as they sin.

Jesus said in John 14:12 "Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in Me, the works that I do he will do also; and greater works than these he will do, because I go to My Father".

Jesus relied on the Father for everything. He was obedient to the very end. In John 14: 10 Jesus said 'Do you not believe that I am in the Father, and the Father in Me? The words that I speak to you I do not speak on My own authority; but the Father who dwells in Me does the works'.

All we have to do is lean completely on God, allow Him to have His own way in us, whether we say things or do things. We do all things unto the glory of God. Jesus was in complete obedience to God so should we. Let us follow His example.

Couppy.

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
Psalms predicted what will happen in the future. I see no proof on the cross other than that Jesus was in pain and was dying. He had a close relationship with the Father but there was separation at the cross when the sins of the world was laid on Him. Christians who are very close to God recognises God's withdrawal from fellowship as soon as they sin.

Jesus said in John 14:12 "Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in Me, the works that I do he will do also; and greater works than these he will do, because I go to My Father".

Jesus relied on the Father for everything. He was obedient to the very end. In John 14: 10 Jesus said 'Do you not believe that I am in the Father, and the Father in Me? The words that I speak to you I do not speak on My own authority; but the Father who dwells in Me does the works'.

All we have to do is lean completely on God, allow Him to have His own way in us, whether we say things or do things. We do all things unto the glory of God. Jesus was in complete obedience to God so should we. Let us follow His example.

Couppy.

So do you believe Jesus of Nazareth was God come in the flesh? or just another mortal man like everyone else? or maybe just a prophet like Moses, Elijah, etc.?

Brother James

Jun 2, 2008
Melbourne, FL
Jesus died on the cross. God did not die on the cross. So, which part of Jesus was not God and which part was? Are there two Jesuses? Did God raise from the dead? Did God ascend to heaven?

The two thieves crucified with Jesus both had a physical element an an eternal soul. Did they not die on the cross? Their souls continue, and at least one of them spent the rest of the day, after he died, with Jesus. Of course only his body died, but we still say he died, right?

[email protected]

Choir Loft
Apr 2, 2009
West Central Florida
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I voted YES.

God died for my sins. I'm sorry if He didn't die for you.

Anybody that voted NO is headed for hell and damnation.

If God didn't die on the cross for you, then you are still in your sins.
Who's going to pay for your sins?
Buddha? Krishna? Mohammad? Santa Clause? Ronald McDonald?

YOU ARE !

If Jesus isn't God, then His death was meaningless (pretty much like the posts that deny it).
Only God could pay for the sins of man. The Bible is full of statements to this fact.

Then again, the world is full of scoffers who pretty much deny any sound teaching.

This is basic stuff. Go back to square one and start over.

it's me again, hollering from the choir loft...