God doesn't need your money!

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mantis

Nov 2, 2020
The wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was listening to christian radio the other day and I there was a preacher preaching about money. I actually heard him say "God doesn't need your money to complete his ministry". Wow, how refreshing. After almost every sermon there is a preacher asking for money. I realize that it cost a ton of money to broadcast but it gets old hearing that. Jack Abeelen was the pastors name. Does anyone know of his ministry?

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Grumble.... I agree that God doesn't need your money to complete his ministry, but he does want it and he uses it.

I will skip all the verses about the importance of giving (unless you want to hear them) except for two sets:

2 Corinthians 9:7 KJV
Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give ; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.

Philippians 4:16-18 KJV
For even in Thessalonica ye sent once and again unto my necessity. [17] Not because I desire a gift: but I desire fruit that may abound to your account. [18] But I have all, and abound: I am full, having received of Epaphroditus the things which were sent from you, an odour of a sweet smell, a sacrifice acceptable, wellpleasing to God.

What I want to point out is that 1. We are not to give out of necessity and 2. While preachers (like Paul) have a use for it, giving is more beneficial to YOU the giver than it is to the preacher.

Now, Paul used the money given to him to travel and spread the gospel, but he also used it to give relief to the Church at Jerusalem. So, those that gave were blessed, Paul was blessed, those that heard him in a new town were blessed and the Church at Jerusalem was blessed because there were Holy Ghost filled givers.

I understand folks being grumpy about radio and televangelists asking for money... They seem to be businessmen instead of servants of God. It makes you wonder if they see it as a career instead of a calling. I get that! But if they are honest, look at it from their POV. Some of them put a lot of effort into putting together meaningful sermons and depend on help continuing their ministry. Yet, they get sideways looks from their congregation when they talk about giving.

atpollard

Jun 30, 2019
Port Richey, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God can probably survive without my money. However, I am sort of fond of having LIGHTS and AIR CONDITIONING at the building where we gather (Florida is hot and humid), so I don't mind chipping in to pay for it. I like Pastor Less (short for Lester) and his wife. He works hard coming up with things to say and things for the church (we the people) to do, so I figure those verses about "a workman is worthy of his wages" probably applies to Less.

Most of all, I worry a lot about ME.
Can we talk? I come from a background of "money worshipers". I was raised with a "become a millionaire by 30" (back when a million dollars was a lot of money :) ) and "the person that dies with the most toys, wins" family motto. I saw the "love of money" do a lot of harm to a lot of people. So one thing that I constantly have to watch out for is just how tightly I am holding on to that 'cash' (mammon). God said you can't LOVE both God and Money. I don't EVER want to have doubts about which I love more. I don't ever want to walk in the 'family curse'. So I find it an honor, EVERY FRIDAY, when I get my paycheck, to calculate the percentage that I have "determined in my heart" to give, and to freely give it off the top. GOD may not NEED it, but Pastor Less can use it to pay bills and it grants me weekly reassurance that GOD comes before Money in my heart. It is hard to place a price on the real value of THAT.

So I recommend picking a percentage (1% and 10% are good places to start because moving a decimal point makes the math easy) and try it. Give whatever you decide to prove something to yourself. If you have a problem giving it to your church, then just pick someplace that you think Jesus would approve of and give it there. This is not the OT, so you don't have a field of grain and there is no storehouse in Jerusalem. There is just a "Good Steward" and love of "God and money" and a "cheerful giver".

Reactions: TLHKAJ and FHII

Mantis

Nov 2, 2020
The wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Don't get me wrong, I give. That being said there are a certain number of televangelists that are clearly love mammon. I think a lot of secular people see that and that's what they think of christians. That the congregates are all brainwashed into giving their pastors money. I think that can be a stumbling block for someone who maybe is entertaining the idea of becoming a christian but they see the greed and decide not to accept Jesus.

Reactions: atpollard

atpollard

Jun 30, 2019
Port Richey, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As a matter of fact He does. Check out the New Testament. Preachers should be extremely careful in what they say.
Do you have a verse in mind that states that God needs my money?
I have checked out the NT and don’t remember seeing that in it … but the memory isn’t what it once was.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Do you have a verse in mind that states that God needs my money?
I have checked out the NT and don’t remember seeing that in it … but the memory isn’t what it once was.
Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I have given order to the churches of Galatia, even so do ye. Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come. (1 Cor 16:1,2)

Jesus said that whatever is done to and for His brethren (the saints) is done to Him. That is why it is not Paul -- BUT GOD THROUGH PAUL --
who ordered the Christians in all the churches to set aside -- according to how God had prospered them -- a certain amount of MONEY for the needy saints. And as we see in Acts, Paul was constantly asking for collections for the needy saints in Jerusalem.

But the primary principle for the application of the offerings of Christians taken on the first day of the week is that (1) the needy saints, particularly widows and orphans, be looked after, (2) that those who labor in the Word snd doctrine within the churches be generously compensated, and (3) Christian missionaries be supported.

As we can see, it is not the tithe which was ordered, but the degree to which God had prospered someone. And there is yet more to this.

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I have given order to the churches of Galatia, even so do ye. Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come. (1 Cor 16:1,2)

Jesus said that whatever is done to and for His brethren (the saints) is done to Him. That is why it is not Paul -- BUT GOD THROUGH PAUL --
who ordered the Christians in all the churches to set aside -- according to how God had prospered them -- a certain amount of MONEY for the needy saints. And as we see in Acts, Paul was constantly asking for collections for the needy saints in Jerusalem.

But the primary principle for the application of the offerings of Christians taken on the first day of the week is that (1) the needy saints, particularly widows and orphans, be looked after, (2) that those who labor in the Word snd doctrine within the churches be generously compensated, and (3) Christian missionaries be supported.

As we can see, it is not the tithe which was ordered, but the degree to which God had prospered someone. And there is yet more to this.

The New Testament plan for giving:

2Co 9:6 The point is this: whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows bountifully will also reap bountifully.

2Co 9:7 Each one must give as he has decided in his heart, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.

2Co 9:8 And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that having all sufficiency in all things at all times, you may abound in every good work.

2Co 9:9 As it is written, “He has distributed freely, he has given to the poor; his righteousness endures forever.”

2Co 9:10 He who supplies seed to the sower and bread for food will supply and multiply your seed for sowing and increase the harvest of your righteousness.

2Co 9:11 You will be enriched in every way to be generous in every way, which through us will produce thanksgiving to God.

2Co 9:12 For the ministry of this service is not only supplying the needs of the saints but is also overflowing in many thanksgivings to God.

atpollard

Jun 30, 2019
Port Richey, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The New Testament plan for giving:

2Co 9:6 The point is this: whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows bountifully will also reap bountifully.

2Co 9:7 Each one must give as he has decided in his heart, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.

2Co 9:8 And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that having all sufficiency in all things at all times, you may abound in every good work.

2Co 9:9 As it is written, “He has distributed freely, he has given to the poor; his righteousness endures forever.”

2Co 9:10 He who supplies seed to the sower and bread for food will supply and multiply your seed for sowing and increase the harvest of your righteousness.

2Co 9:11 You will be enriched in every way to be generous in every way, which through us will produce thanksgiving to God.

2Co 9:12 For the ministry of this service is not only supplying the needs of the saints but is also overflowing in many thanksgivings to God.

Physical or Spiritual or both?
If I give $100 to the church, can I really count on a $1000 return on my investment like some preach?

Just looking for clarification of understanding for anyone that might be reading along.

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If I give $100 to the church, can I really count on a $1000 return on my investment like some preach?

Just looking for clarification of understanding for anyone that might be reading along.

The clear statement there, is the more you give the more God prospers you, so you can in turn give more to help those in need.

Thus an increase is promised, but the passage doesn’t say exactly how much.

And Jesus promised this about giving:

Luk 6:38 Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again.

Reactions: FHII and TLHKAJ

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I liked what Curtis had to say in response but I would like to add some thoughts.

First off, yes... If you give God promised to prosper you, but that is not why you should give. It shouldn't be looked at like its an investment in the stock market. We should give because we love God and have been taught in the Word. We aren't even to give out of necessity, though we are taught to help a brother in need. In any sense, if you are giving to get back "X" fold... It may be promised, but it should not be the reason you give.

Second... If God does give positive returns on your giving, it may not be in cash. It may be in savings... He may move on your landlord to forgive a late rent payment. He may bless your vehicle to not break down. He may give you a flat tire which keeps you away from an accident. He may provide you with overtime at your job. In short, he may rebuke a lot of little foxes that would spoil your branches.

Reactions: Curtis

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was listening to christian radio the other day and I there was a preacher preaching about money. I actually heard him say "God doesn't need your money to complete his ministry". Wow, how refreshing. After almost every sermon there is a preacher asking for money. I realize that it cost a ton of money to broadcast but it gets old hearing that. Jack Abeelen was the pastors name. Does anyone know of his ministry?

That’s because it’s all Gods money in the first place.

We have no money to withhold from Him, we’re only managing His money.

See Matthew 25:14-30.

Edit:

This pertains to the handling Gods money that we think is our own:

Luk 16:10 Whoever is faithful in small matters will be faithful in large ones; whoever is dishonest in small matters will be dishonest in large ones.

Luk 16:11 If, then, you have not been faithful in handling worldly wealth, how can you be trusted with true wealth?

Luk 16:12 And if you have not been faithful with what belongs to someone else, who will give you what belongs to you?

Luk 16:13 "No servant can be the slave of two masters; such a slave will hate one and love the other or will be loyal to one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money."

Last edited:
Reactions: Mantis

Reggie Belafonte

Mar 16, 2018
Brisbane
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
God does not need your money at all.

What is needed is you Soul to be united with Jesus Christ and bingo ! that's all that is needed, the Lord will do the rest through you and anything other than that is to do with works and adding on to, such is Jesus plus your works. so that can be the thine edge of the wedge that creates a possession for deception.

You can throw all the money in the world as to a situation but does it address the fundamental key to the problem that truly created the problem.
Not to mention that's what you see is truly the problem most of the time.
Lets say the Lord knows why Such created the problem and now they are putting a Band-Aid on such, while the problem festers, because no one has the guts to address the root cause of the problem and mainly it's because such is taboo subject or the truth hurts and they can not handle the truth because they lack virtue and are mollycoddled when in fact they are the root of the problem because they are degenerates that sit about like gastropods and victims of their delusions in general, only they can't see the problem is also within themselves, they reject any such % of the blame and claim it's all someone others fault.
The MSM get off with reporting all such dribble, only to inflame and bastardise the whole thing always, it's a good card to play for such a whore and the problem persist year after year, why because they MSM truly do not give a rats or bother to be a human and take account of the facts of reality.

We in Australia toss billions on fighting lost causes every year. the Salvos gives 10% in the dollar for value of you money. now what does the Governments percentage that's worthy ? would one want to be a Goose.

Riverwalker

Apr 20, 2021
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As a matter of fact He does. Check out the New Testament. Preachers should be extremely careful in what they say.
God doesn't need our money, but Ministries do.
Yes God will accomplish His will with or without us

Luke 19:37 Then, as He was now drawing near the descent of the Mount of Olives, the whole multitude of the disciples began to rejoice and praise God with a loud voice for all the mighty works they had seen, 38 saying:

“ ‘Blessed is the King who comes in the name of the Lord!’
Peace in heaven and glory in the highest!”

39 And some of the Pharisees called to Him from the crowd, “Teacher, rebuke Your disciples.”

40 But He answered and said to them, “I tell you that if these should keep silent, the stones would immediately cry out.”

But would it not be so much better with us?

Reactions: atpollard

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is needed is you Soul to be united with Jesus Christ and bingo ! that's all that is needed, the Lord will do the rest through you and anything other than that is to do with works and adding on to, such is Jesus plus your works. so that can be the thine edge of the wedge that creates a possession for deception.

Jas 2:20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?

Jas 2:21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?

Jas 2:22 Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?

Jas 2:23 And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.

Jas 2:24 Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.

atpollard

Jun 30, 2019
Port Richey, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The clear statement there, is the more you give the more God prospers you, so you can in turn give more to help those in need.
[thumbs up emoji]
One of my all time favorite verses on money is Ephesians 4:28 [NIV] "Anyone who has been stealing must steal no longer, but must work, doing something useful with their own hands, that they may have something to share with those in need."

Unlike so many "Law" verses that focus on "STOP DOING BAD" ... as if by not doing bad, we might then be "good" ... this verse talks about a change of heart and life. "Anyone who has been stealing" is someone with a heart full of TAKE and WANT and OWED. "must steal no longer" is about a change of heart. "must work, doing something useful with their own hands" is about a new heart full of DOING and WORKING and PURPOSE ... but God is not about "enough", rather God is about "more than enough", so ... "that they may have something to share with those in need" is a complete transformation and reversal of the old man from a take to a GIVE, from want to OVERFLOW and from owed to GRATEFUL.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That’s because it’s all Gods money in the first place.
Yeah... Good call! I was wondering if anyone would bring that up!

Haggai 2:8 KJV
The silver is mine, and the gold is mine, saith the Lord of hosts.

Reggie Belafonte

Mar 16, 2018
Brisbane
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Jas 2:20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?

Jas 2:21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?

Jas 2:22 Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?

Jas 2:23 And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.

Jas 2:24 Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.
That's God working through one that are counted as worthy of God, but of our own works we are but like filthy rags.
So it's not me myself that does the works but he who is God I abide in, is the point.

One who takes pride in himself work is in vain ! it's he who is above that is the glory that one shall give such to.

Without God you can do nothing.

The works of Man is rubbish, such as that is a ship without a rudder, not to mention history proves that such always crashes badly, as they are clearly a ship of fools.